• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

Banned
rezuth said:
Tell that to the millions of people playing games daily and the booming game market on AppStore.

I'm pretty sure he meant that until it plays games like Monster Hunter or SSF4 (the full version), it won't be considered a "gaming console". I'm not in that group but to me, Iphone is a phone/media player first, gaming is secondary.

flyinpiranha said:
Seriously? I mean ... that seems pretty amazing. I'll believe it when I see it of course but that just seems absolutely crazy.

And have we already got the confirmation on how big the game cartridges are? I don't remember if I read that anywhere or not.

In terms of the effects and technology they're using, we already have the evidence of that. Decent 3DS games are packing in most of the important technology from PS3/360 games that makes them games stand out, only its ran at much lower precision, the geometary counts are an order of magnitude lower or more and not all the technology makes the transition either.

Though if Capcom can manage to produce a 3DS engine in 3 months that has decent quality dynamic shadowmaps, self shadowing, HDR rendering, colourgrading, object based motion blur, per pixel lighting, lots of normal mapping and specular highlights then its not difficult to see where that line of thinking comes from, really. Of course the hardware is no where near the 360 but that doesn't mean to say that a lot of the technology that defines the look of this generation can't run in real time on the 3DS with slightly better than PSP levels of geometary and Xbox calibre texturing.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Flying_Phoenix said:
Am I the only one who thinks this system may be bottlenecked due to the RAM?

For a handheld, its really not too much to laugh at. Could they have put more? Sure, but hell the PS3 only has 256.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Willy105 said:
They want to keep them in existence.

Making consoles at profit isn't exactly a common thing in the industry. Heck, Nintendo is the only one that does it.

I'm sure they'll take a minor hit if you compound their R&D into the cost in the beginning, but unless they are really going to aggressively price these things (really doubtful at the price the i/XL launched at) Nintendo should be making a pretty penny in not much time. Nintendo could have gotten at least a bit more aggressive.

Pimpbaa

rezuth said:
Yes, indie developers like;

Konami
Capcom
id
Epic Games
EA
Activision
etc etc

They have all been making/porting low budget shit. Epic citadel is the only thing remotely high budget on the platform.

for those who are worried 3ds has less than 4 inch of screen. game will look amazing regardless. I just want good 3d performance from machine since that is the main selling point for me.

Cow Mengde said:
Would it be capable of physics? I'm thinking something like Source Engine or Havoc kind of stuff. Physics actually impact gameplay in meaningful ways.

I'm secretly hoping for a Vindictus port to 3DS.

Of course it'll be capble of "physics" but its CPU is definitely not suited to a high level of physics simulation. The Xbox really couldn't run HL2's physics with reasonable performance and the 3DS should be even less capable, so no, don't expect miracles in this area.

Paracelsus

brain_stew said:
with slightly better than PSP levels of geometary and Xbox calibre texturing.

But PSP has awful/subpar geometry when it's pushing too many polygons on characters. I expected at least proper geometry on everything, a portable og xbox or something.

antonz

64MB while less than what most wanted as pointed out is more than what Last gen consoles had for the mst part and equal to the Xbox ram.

For a overly simplified look at the 3DS we are getting a gamecube like device with ps3/360 level shader effects.

brain_stew said:
Of course it'll be capble of "physics" but its CPU is definitely not suited to a high level of physics simulation. The Xbox really couldn't run HL2's physics with reasonable performance and the 3DS should be even less capable, so no, don't expect miracles in this area.

Damn, now that is disappointing.

brain_stew said:
In terms of the effects and technology they're using, we already have the evidence of that. Decent 3DS games are packing in most of the important technology from PS3/360 games that makes them games stand out, only its ran at much lower precision, the geometary counts are an order of magnitude lower or more and not all the technology makes the transition either.

Though if Capcom can manage to produce a 3DS engine in 3 months that has decent quality dynamic shadowmaps, self shadowing, HDR rendering, colourgrading, object based motion blur, per pixel lighting, lots of normal mapping and specular highlights then its not difficult to see where that line of thinking comes from, really. Of course the hardware is no where near the 360 but that doesn't mean to say that a lot of the technology that defines the look of this generation can't run in real time on the 3DS with slightly better than PSP levels of geometary and Xbox calibre texturing.

Also if the real 3d screen is one of their biggest selling points then we can be sure that they will pay attention to graphics. They will do it in the typical nintendo way of being "just good enough" but this is not a wii scenario where they said graphics are not important.

Pimpbaa

Zerokku said:
For a handheld, its really not too much to laugh at. Could they have put more? Sure, but hell the PS3 only has 256.

The has 512MB split up. 256 system ram and 256 video ram.

Cow Mengde said:
Would it be capable of physics? I'm thinking something like Source Engine or Havoc kind of stuff. Physics actually impact gameplay in meaningful ways.

I'm secretly hoping for a Vindictus port to 3DS.
Probably not Havoc or Source, but a purpose-built one would work, sure.

My opinion though is that most games using physics engines don't use it in a meaningful way.

rezuth

Quadrangulum said:
There aren't many developers in that list of yours.
lol they have plenty others

Square Enix
Rockstar
Ubisoft
THQ
Bandai Namco
Atlus
Hudson
Harmonix
Warner Bros

You can find tons of big name companies making games for the iOS.

Pimpbaa said:
They have all been making/porting low budget shit. Epic citadel is the only thing remotely high budget on the platform.
I don't know how you believe it to be "low budget shit" but lets list some real efforts.

Square Enix have released Chaos Rings, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 2, Song Summoner.
Rockstar released Chinatown Wars.
Harmonix released Rock Band.
EA released FIFA, C&C Red Alert, Need for Speed Shift, Need for Speed Undercover, Madden, Sim City, Tiger Woods.
Activision released Call of Duty: Zombies, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk 2, Geometry Wars, Crash Bandicoot Racing.
Warner Bros released Harry Potter, Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Ninja Assassin.
THQ released Star Wars The Force Unleashed.
Ubisoft released Anno The Harbor, Assassins Creed 2 Multiplayer, Prince of Persia Retro, Rabbids Go Home, Silent Hunter.
id released Doom 2 RPG, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom Resurrection, Doom Classic.
Capcom released Mega Man 2, Resident Evil Degenration, Resident Evil 4, Street Fighter IV, Ghost N Goblins, Dak Void Zero.

I think its unfair to say that these games are shit.

This is of course derailing the thread but it had to be stated.
I do think that the introduction of the 3DS means we will see more games ported to iOS when they start to sell less on the system.

brain_stew said:
I really like the design, it seems to take all the good points of the various previous generation systems without any of the drawbacks and it should deliver fantastic battery life. I'd definitely take this design over a PS2 and GCN and probably even an Xbox as well because of the dedicated framebuffer which overcomes one of the major bottlenecks of that system.

That's what I wanted to hear. :D

Pimpbaa

rezuth said:
lol they have plenty others

Square Enix
Rockstar
Ubisoft
THQ
Bandai Namco
Atlus
Hudson
Harmonix
Warner Bros

You can find tons of big name companies making games for the iOS.

None of which are spending anywhere near the amount they do on even the DS for games.

KAL2006

Banned
Instro said:
RE Revelations is already better looking than RE4, so yes.

but thats not gameplay, when I see gameplay footage that look as good as Mario Galaxy, RE4, FFXII and etc, then I will be happy. At the moment the only gameplay we have seen is Nintendogs and Kid Icarus which don't looks as good as the above examples I gave. Basically I want the graphics as good as all those above games, but in 3D.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
If someone puts in the budget.

I worry that dev time will mean that releases will be more spaced out than in the past.

Personally I also would prefer games that looked and ran like GCN games. High steady framerate, almost no loads over something that looked like an early 360 game and ran like one too.

ombz

rezuth said:
Tell that to the millions of people playing games daily and the booming game market on AppStore.
I will be very disappointed if 3ds games are as shallow as most of the games on the AppStore.

Sounds good to me. I don't need a jack of all trades since I will already get an iphone 4.

I just hope it comes in matte black.

big_z

Enix should put dragon quest X on 3DS and call it a day. The wiis lifespan is pretty much over.

I just hope it comes in matte black.

i hope for white... anything but the ugly E3 colors. hopefully nintendo smooths out the systems shape a little too.

Instro

KAL2006 said:
but thats not gameplay, when I see gameplay footage that look as good as Mario Galaxy, RE4, FFXII and etc, then I will be happy. At the moment the only gameplay we have seen is Nintendogs and Kid Icarus which don't looks as good as the above examples I gave. Basically I want the graphics as good as all those above games, but in 3D.

Uh the RE:Revelations footage is gameplay, been confirmed multiple times. The game is running on the MT Framework engine.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
KAL2006 said:
question

can we get graphics as good as Mario Galaxy, RE4, FFXII and Metroid Prime on 3DS

I guess seeing as how the 3DS is getting SFIV and the wii is not.
ok and I guess a smaller screen needs less polygons to get a good 3d model so it would be all about the graphical effects the 3DS can pull off, RE:R looks amazing

KAL2006 said:
so the iPhone destoys the 3DS in power

In general CPU performance? Absolutely
As a general computing device? Absolutely
As a dedicated gaming device? Hard to say

Honestly people that were expecting a 1ghz A9 need to get a reality check. Go run the Epic Citadel demo on your Ipone 4 until the battery runs out and I doubt that thing will last 3 hours. Sorry but Nintendo don't have some exclusive magic battery technology and Apple are already pretty damn good at optimising for battery life. If you want this thing to last 10 hours in games then something had to be sacrificed and I'm glad it was general CPU performance.

As for RAM, 64MB (+4MB dedicated) really isn't that bad at all. Its better than anything from last generation and if people were happy with the textures in Xbox games when displayed at 480p on a bog screen TV, I'm sure the same resolution textures will look just fine at 240p on a 3" screen. My desire for 128MB was mostly motivated for performance in other tasks (like a web browser) and because it would have allowed Nintendo to develop a nice and fully featured OS/dashboard that ran at all times. It would have been nice for games, sure but it isn't a dealbreaker. Anything more than 128MB really wouldn't have made any difference in games at all, I'm quite sure of that as the hardware just isn't powerful enough to take proper advantage of it.

64MB actually compares pretty damn well to the amount of memory iOS apps/renderpaths which aren't ES 2.0 exclusive have access to actually. Its only stuff like Citadel which target the high end devices exclusively that can take advantage of that extra RAM and even then the OS eats into a major chunk of it.

defferoo

drizzle said:
Screw internal storage space. I rather have more RAM than that.

Make 256mb for firmware only and SD Card mandatory, but give me at least 512mb ram.

no, 512MB on the iphone is only there for multitasking. Each app is limited to a few MB of RAM. On the older iphones, it was somewhere around 12MB, I think the limit might be up to 32MB now. But with 3DS, you're running what's essentially equivalent to one "app" and you have full use of all 64MB of RAM. in other words, it's plenty.

If you don't think that's enough, think of it this way, the 3DS has two times as much RAM as the PSP, two times the amount of VRAM, and almost surely more processing power. Not to mention has built in fixed function shaders that implement advanced techniques you'd usually see in 360/ps3/pc games.

KAL2006 said:
So you want details about gameplay videos that don't exist yet? What?

I mean, why ask the question then?

XPE

big_z said:
Enix should put dragon quest X on 3DS and call it a day. The wiis lifespan is pretty much over.

You can beat that the idea has crossed one or two minds at Enix

plagiarize said:
of course not. the price will be based on what they can sell it for, not the component costs.

This was always going to be the case. These specification just mean that pricepoints like $150/$200 are definite options that Nintendo have. Oh, and it'll be less than $200. ;)

big_z said:

The best thing, is that they could (probably) use part of the assets they have been doing for the Wii version (if there's any actual asset)

Jin34

KAL2006 said:

Umm thats how the game looks like... Capcom already went into detail on their MT Framework Lite engine, its doing pretty much all the effects of the 360/PS3 version. Nintendo's games look like they are using their GC/Wii engines which is not surprising for launch games since they have no experience with modern GPU architecture, they'll make new engines that make use of the 3DS's power.

KAL2006

Banned
I hope the 3DS goes for $200

Considering an iPod touch with 8GB flash memory is RRP $200 ($170 at most places), and it is much more powerful than a 3DS, yes the 3DS has a 3D screen, but the iPod touch is still much more powerful than a 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
KAL2006 said:
I hope the 3DS goes for $200

Considering an iPod touch with 8GB flash memory is RRP $200 ($170 at most places), and it is much more powerful than a 3DS, yes the 3DS has a 3D screen, but the iPod touch is still much more powerful than a 3DS.

It really isn't though when it comes to playing games.

It's a very powerful MP3 player though! :lol

antonz

Relaxed Muscle said:
The best thing, is that they could (probably) use part of the assets they have been doing for the Wii version (if there's any actual asset)

As far as has been said DQX is supposedly deep into development.

Jin34

I'm pretty surprised at how many people seriously underestimate the 3DS's capabilities, it's like they just can not believe it can do stuff like the Resident Evil game or even DoA.

ciaossu said:
Like wario said, depending on game installs the 1.5GB might feel small.

Calling it now: there is no way the 3DS will support anything in the way of "game installs" as we commonly know them. Instead, I believe this is in reference to the system's "tag mode," which as confirmed through Nintendo World Report, can be used to "install" several small applications that can make use of Tag Mode, even when the game isn't physically in the 3DS itself.

As such, these should use a few Megabytes of information, at most (and likely less.) Do note that this doesn't include save file information, which is likely what will be shared via tag mode--I think the days of saving to the game itself are largely behind us.

Edit: Updated my "PGC" (Planet GameCube) to their actual current name (Nintendo World Report). Old habits die hard.

The Faceless Master said:

I think that's actually a surprisingly roomy amount of internal storage. It compares incredibly well to the ~256MB which users have access to on Nintendo's home console and should be more than enough to last most casual useers several years. GAFers can still buy cheap 32GB SDHC cards later on, but this means that you can put off that purchase for the first 6 months.

Bizzyb

Banned
big_z said:

I already went there, it wasn't pretty. People seem to think SE is going to be contempt with putting the game on a lacking system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom