• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT2| - I Mean Look What Our Teams Did For Us!

Man, Jerry Richardson just seems to be so weird to me.

He was the harshest owner in the lockout, where other owners had to almost mediate for him.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/2...t-owners-players-association-jerry-richardson

http://deadspin.com/leaked-nfl-documents-while-owner-cried-hardship-carol-5988893

Yet, he's the one that is upset that players had to leave because Hurney fucked up the cap? And now he's bringing Hurney back?

He's fiercely loyal. He's also generally a bitter old man with more money than sense these days. He didn't like that Gettleman went against his wishes with the players and whatever's happening now with Thomas Davis was probably the last straw. He knows that he can control Hurney though.

(And to be completely fair, Smith and Williams and to a lesser extent Norman weren't exactly cap casualties. The Panthers saved minuscule amounts of cap space for both of the Williams and Smith cuts. That was more of Gettleman's stubborn refusal to pay players of advanced age more than he deemed they were worth. They also probably could have found the room to lock up Norman long-term but paying that much to a CB didn't fit within Getts' philosophy)

Slo

I'm not very impressed by a professional sports franchise profiting only $50M per year. That's pretty terrible when you look at the scale they are operating. Their margins must be horseshit.

l also find it amusing that you guys talk about tossing an extra million here and there to keep a couple washed up old timers. Sure, pay 53 guys an extra million each. Oh shit, I guess now we're actually losing money....

I'm all for players getting paid, but owners gonna own.

Slo

Forbes lists the Panthers worth at $2.075B. If you're only making $50M a year, you're only making 2.4% on your money.

Forbes lists the Panthers worth at $2.075B. If you're only making $50M a year, you're only making 2.4% on your money.

You're only making 2.4% of your value on your operating profits, but that doesn't mean you're not also gaining money on team value at the same time. If the team was worth $1.7B five years ago, and now it's worth $2.075B, there has been growth in value as well. I have no idea what the team value was, so that figure is an example, but there is more than one way for your investment to grow.

Edit: I just looked it up. In 2013 the Panthers were vaued at $1B. Now they are $2B. Double your billion dollars in four years.

Slo

You're only making 2.4% of your value on your operating profits, but that doesn't mean you're not also gaining money on team value at the same time. If the team was worth $1.7B five years ago, and now it's worth $2.075B, there has been growth in value as well. I have no idea what the team value was, so that figure is an example, but there is more than one way for your investment to grow.

Fair enough, that's another 4% annually. Still, 6.4% isn't exactly killing it.

Edit:

Edit: I just looked it up. In 2013 the Panthers were vaued at $1B. Now they are $2B. Double your billion dollars in four years.

FAKE NEWS
that's about 20% in annual appreciation.

BigAT

The best team in RL is me, Greg, and TDR. You're a sub at best bb.

Lp1CcA9.gif

I can't believe that Marty Hurney is set to be a General Manager again in the year of our lord 2017.

If it's on an interim basis, it's Ok I guess. Gettleman's largely already made all the moves that the team would make as far as trades and major free agent pick-ups so all Hurney would be responsible for is training camp cuts (which he's OK at), any in-season emergency moves (which he's bad at), and buttoning up ongoing contract negotiations (which he's worse at).

They HAVE to start looking at progressive faces to be the GM long-term going forward though. Gettleman may have lacked for actual man management skills (which is why he's apparently rubbed so many players the wrong way) but in virtually every other aspect, he's miles better than Hurney. Hurney's a likable, loyal guy, but he can't do personnel, scout, draft, or manage the cap for shit.

Those 2009 and 2010 drafts are both in the running for worst drafts of all time (notwithstanding that they hit on Greg Hardy in 2010 (notwithstanding that Greg Hardy turned out to be a potentially murderous psychopath))

Looking forward to the Bucs offense this year.

Mildly optimistic this is the year Brady starts losing his shine and the fins take the afc east.

A man can dream.

And there it is

Carolina Panthers‏Verified account
@Panthers

#Panthers announce Marty Hurney as interim GM

Also:

Joe Person‏Verified account
@josephperson

Panthers say Hurney will help hire next GM, which could put fmr Panthers scouts Ryan Cowden (Titans) and Trent Kirchner (Seahawks) in play.

Top Bottom