• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Solo

Habs top six filled with four "UFA TBD"?

You're right, man. The Canucks and Pens have clearly set the bar for teams who aspire to play 4 more games than the Montreal Canadiens.

Habs have their worst season in 40 years, Pens are "the best team in 40 years", and Canucks are President's trophy winners and Cup favorites. Yet the only difference is the Habs started golfing a week earlier and have a great draft pick.

tumblr_lie0fllqL21qh5ofro1_400.jpg

Problem?

somehow yesterday managed to be awesome even after the wings lost.

pens :lol

nucks :lol

the pens really showed what an absolute joke of a franchise they are. then again, when you captain punches a player in the balls from behind, hair pulling is just par for the course.

Mario Lemieux crying about Islanders goons said:
If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to rethink whether I want to be a part of it.
"...but that was different!"

L

O

L

ShaneB

Depressing morning when it sinks in that the Canucks are in a very deep hole against a Kings team that is firing on all cylinders, and the Canucks are constantly firing blanks.

If the Canucks bail out, I'm not sure who to root for to come out of the west. I guess it would be neat to see the Kings make a run since they're a young team that is fun to watch, or maybe whoever wins the Blues/Sharks series, and I want Nashville to beat the Wings, but other then that.. meh.

As for the east, the Sens need to get on a roll here now, hoping for a big boost in tonight's game. Hope the Caps play solid as well and Holtby continues his hot play.

Did he really say that? LOL cant wait to see him spin Crosby and Neal's actions.

Crosby really? You're not worried about anything else in that game? I'm sure the person who tried to knee on knee Neal will get nothing also since he didn't injure him. Suspensions have been a joke for a while now.

Crosby really? You're not worried about anything else in that game? I'm sure the person who tried to knee on knee Neal will get nothing also since he didn't injure him. Suspensions have been a joke for a while now.

I was just commenting on him saying certain actions are bad for the game. I think all the garbage Crosby has done this series would fall under that category. Mario is quick to say stuff when it is someone elses team, I will be interested to see if he is so quick to call out his own team.

Curufinwe

I think that was Grossman, the same guy Vitale took out with a knee on knee hit a few weeks back.

gcubed

I think that was Grossman, the same guy Vitale took out with a knee on knee hit a few weeks back.

and that actually knocked Grossman out of the next 2 weeks... even going by injury=suspension rules, that didn't qualify

The deflection to "well look what YOUR guy did" is ... awesome

Although i missed some mystical Crosby punch in the balls apparently?

Merguson

Banned
Apparently Hagelin's suspension may get reduced if Alfredsson plays tonight.

So basically the system is based on the outcome. How nice.

EDIT: Seems like MSG misinterpreted Shanahan's words in an interview. Aaron Ward said that regardless of whether Alfredsson plays or not, the suspension remains the same.

Go figure.

That's a fucking joke. So if he misses the rest of the playoffs or forced to retire does that mean Hagelin is out for the same amount of time ?

Maybe they should re-suspend Keith out until Daniel Sedin returns ?

If they really do that they would be giving every player the green light to head hunt. It is a win win for guys that want to goon it up now. If you take the others tams skill players out that helps your team, and if you dont hurt the guy you wont miss any time so that is a win. I am really surprised that the NHL is so blind to the consequences of their rulings.

Merguson

Banned
Seems like MSG misinterpreted Shanahan's words in an interview. Aaron Ward said that regardless of whether Alfredsson plays or not, the suspension remains the same.

Go figure.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Lol shanahan

Should stick to your original announced suspension... Changing a suspension based on injury sets a dangerous precedent

Punish the crime, not the outcome

Yet the only difference is the Habs started golfing a week earlier and have a great draft pick.

I know this thread is full of hyperbole but I can't believe you just advocated missing the playoffs in a playoffs thread. And you did it as a habs fan, no less. Good job

Also why the hell does this city not have street vendors, there should be poutine trolleys outside of the Bell Centre

Razorskin

----- ------
I know this thread is full of hyperbole but I can't believe you just advocated missing the playoffs in a playoffs thread. And you did it as a habs fan, no less. Good job

Also why the hell does this city not have street vendors, there should be poutine trolleys outside of the Bell Centre

Those food street vendors are banned here. And there are plenty of places to go downtown for poutine anyway.

ShaneB

If they really do that they would be giving every player the green light to head hunt. It is a win win for guys that want to goon it up now. If you take the others tams skill players out that helps your team, and if you dont hurt the guy you wont miss any time so that is a win. I am really surprised that the NHL is so blind to the consequences of their rulings.

This is what I mentioned earlier about suspending a player for as the long as the player he hurt is out.

If you get a dirty hit and the guy is out for the season. You should be out for the season. You put him out for the season, but you get a 5 game suspension? It's silly. It'll never happen given the amount of control the NHLPA has with the CBA terms and all that, but I would love to see it be that way. You'd obviously clean up the game if players are worried about missing a extreme amount of time if they hurt someone.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This is what I mentioned earlier about suspending a player for as the long as the player he hurt is out.

If you get a dirty hit and the guy is out for the season. You should be out for the season. You put him out for the season, but you get a 5 game suspension? It's silly. It'll never happen given the amount of control the NHLPA has with the CBA terms and all that, but I would love to see it be that way. You'd obviously clean up the game if players are worried about missing a extreme amount of time if they hurt someone.

Sidney Crosby elbows a goon

Goon mysteriously injured for the next 3 seasons

This still seems dumb. Some hits that aren't THAT bad can cause pretty serious injury. A guy falling awkwardly should mean the guy who boarded him should be out for 2 months.

ShaneB

Sidney Crosby elbows a goon

Goon mysteriously injured for the next 3 seasons

I never said it was perfect. lol

This still seems dumb. Some hits that aren't THAT bad can cause pretty serious injury. A guy falling awkwardly should mean the guy who boarded him should be out for 2 months.

It would be case by case basis, which is what the league does now anyway..... or tries to do, and fails. They look at each case and base the punishment on what they see. If it's obvious that it's a freak accident, then yes, the punishment should match that. If it's a clear intent to injure, than yes, in my opinion throw the damn book at him.

It would be case by case basis, which is what the league does now anyway..... or tries to do, and fails. They look at each case and base the punishment on what they see. If it's obvious that it's a freak accident, then yes, the punishment should match that. If it's a clear intent to injure, than yes, in my opinion throw the damn book at him.

I have no idea how you're supposed to judge 'intent' from a video clip.

ShaneB

I have no idea how you're supposed to judge 'intent' from a video clip.

Brendan Shannahan has no idea either apparently.

Seriously though, it's not rocket science to clearly see when a guy throws an elbow, or a knee, or a dirty hit from behind, or a face smash into the glass, etc etc.

Brendan Shannahan has no idea either apparently.

Seriously though, it's not rocket science to clearly see when a guy throws an elbow, or a knee, or a dirty hit from behind, or a face smash into the glass, etc etc.

I really hope he is gone after the season. He started out with so much promise but he is so soft on the star players. He has made things worse then they have been in years. They need to get someone though in their. I wonder what Tie Domi is doing now.

gcubed

I really hope he is gone after the season. He started out with so much promise but he is so soft on the star players. He has made things worse then they have been in years. They need to get someone though in their. I wonder what Tie Domi is doing now.

he would never suspend anyone.

I don't think it would change if Shanahan was replaced.

NHL GMs and the NHLPA are allowed to piss and moan to Shanahan about suspensions etc. He apparently pissed off a lot of people with his preseason suspensions so now he plays it safe.

The whole process is broken.

he would never suspend anyone.

Really? He seems like the type of person that wouldnt give a fuck what other people thought and would suspend stars without blinking an eye. They need to get someone in there that wasnt a top player and wont be so star struck.

I don't think it would change if Shanahan was replaced.

NHL GMs and the NHLPA are allowed to piss and moan to Shanahan about suspensions etc. He apparently pissed off a lot of people with his preseason suspensions so now he plays it safe.

The whole process is broken.

You are so right about the process being broken. NHL ratings are crazy high for the playoffs this year but I worry that people will be turned off by all the antics going on. NHL needs to get their shit together before someone in paralyzed.

Chara never meant to hurt MaxPac and he's never been suspended before etc.

Endless excuses players will use during their hearing (hockey play gone bad, speed of the game etc.)

gcubed

Really? He seems like the type of person that wouldnt give a fuck what other people thought and would suspend stars without blinking an eye. They need to get someone in there that wasnt a top player and wont be so star struck.

You are so right about the process being broken. NHL ratings are crazy high for the playoffs this year but I worry that people will be turned off by all the antics going on. NHL needs to get their shit together before someone in paralyzed.

They don't need a player in that position. Anyone with established relationships around the league is a bad idea to put into a position of authority over suspending players.

They don't need a player in that position. Anyone with established relationships around the league is a bad idea to put into a position of authority over suspending players.

Oh I agree I just figured the league was locked into it being a player after how well the videos were received. I would love to see them bring in a total outsider who has no ties to any teams/players.

ShaneB

Tie Domi and anyone of that ilk is pretty much the old guard. We'd be stuck in the same sort of thought process. Debating fighting in the game, protecting star players with payback hits, etc etc. His heart might be in the right spot and I have no idea what Domi is like now, but it's not exactly the type of guy you want in charge of cleaning up the game. edit: also, what gcubed said.

And Hockey has slowly progressed, but it's always 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

Chara never meant to hurt MaxPac and he's never been suspended before etc.

Endless excuses players will use during their hearing (hockey play gone bad, speed of the game etc.)

Oh I know, and as I mention before, excuses that seem ridiculous. If excuses are constantly made, a message will never be sent.

th3dude

I thought maybe a full night's sleep would make me feel a little better about what I saw yesterday. It didn't. I should have stayed up late to watch the Kings win instead.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

THIS.

It was a terrible decision to put a former player in that position.

I was stunned that anybody in the league actually thought it was a good idea.

gcubed

i'm surprised hockey hasn't taken the football track on head injuries (or do they?). If a player looks dazed by a hit/hit to the head, they are required to go to the locker room and pass the concussion test before being able to return to the ice. I've seen a lot of players that clearly didnt know where they were the last week or so playing a few minutes later. That being said, the hit usually involves a scrum and a long delay, so they could have easily done the testing and been cleared without missing much actual ice time

ShaneB

i'm surprised hockey hasn't taken the football track on head injuries (or do they?). If a player looks dazed by a hit/hit to the head, they are required to go to the locker room and pass the concussion test before being able to return to the ice. I've seen a lot of players that clearly didnt know where they were the last week or so playing a few minutes later. That being said, the hit usually involves a scrum and a long delay, so they could have easily done the testing and been cleared without missing much actual ice time

They've been trying to institute it. Basically a player is supposed to go to a "Quiet Room" for 15 minutes and get assessed and then return.

The problem is players lie. It's a broken system, in an important game, what GM/Coach/etc is going to want their best player out of the game for 15 minutes, while the player that delivered the hit is just given a 2/5 minute penalty?

It's completely useless and is not enforced at all.

edit: Here's a good recent piece on what I talked about. It's about the Quiet Room Myth http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/04/02/spector_nhl_concussions_the_quiet_room_myth/

Marvie_3

Banned
Habs top six filled with four "UFA TBD"?

http://meta.filesmelt.com/downloader.php?file=Ill-eat-your-childern.gif[img]

You're right.

[i]My team hasn't made the playoffs in eight years and just finished 26th in the NHL. But at least they won a Cup in a 6-team league two dozen years before I was born.[/i]

Comforting.[/QUOTE]
So much salt...... HIDE YOUR SNAILS
[quote="Cake Boss, post: 36996374"]Alfie playing tonight.[/QUOTE]

Hagelin's suspension is down to 0 games

/Shanahanlogic

gcubed

They've been trying to institute it. Basically a player is supposed to go to a "Quiet Room" for 15 minutes and get assessed and then return.

The problem is players lie. It's a broken system, in an important game, what GM/Coach/etc is going to want their best player out of the game for 15 minutes, while the player that delivered the hit is just given a 2/5 minute penalty?

It's completely useless and is not enforced at all.

meh, I was under the impression you can't lie your way out of the concussion test (although its not perfect).

I understand you wouldn't want to have them off the ice if they can "play through it", but getting another hit is catastrophic.

ShaneB

meh, I was under the impression you can't lie your way out of the concussion test (although its not perfect).

I understand you wouldn't want to have them off the ice if they can "play through it", but getting another hit is catastrophic.

If you missed the link in my edit, I suggest checking it out, great write up, and an intense video with differing opinions coming to blows.

And yeah, players lie. It's a "tough guy" sport... if they're not dead, they want to be in there playing.

And you're damn right it's catastrophic, which is why it's insane to think the players can police themselves any longer.

Top Bottom