• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct September 13th for Switch and 3DS

-No updates at all about the system itself or OS
-No VC
-No new game announcements (don't @ me - ports of old stuff or pseudo-indies aren't new games ^_^)
-Boring as hell Xenoblade block
-No Platinum (even though I don't particularly care about it)
-No Smash

1/10
Yup. No Netflix even.

That was garbage. I don't expect E3 megatons, but I at least expect a genuinely interesting surprise or two beyond ports of games available on XB1 and PS4.

A Virtual Console worth a damn. A release date for Stardew Valley. Some more "Deluxe" Wii U ports. Any one of those would have been nice.

Mario looked great, but I only care about news in Directs, not seeing more of games we already know about.

I guess I missed the cue there would be new Switch announcements, because that was pretty much the lineup I expected + Doom and Wolfenstein. Octopath continues to look interesting. Mario is a dream. I feel pretty good about the Direct. (edit: was hoping for a Stardew Valley date, though)

If we get through January without seeing some big reveals/showcases for 2018/2019, I'll start to worry.

Was hoping for some 1st party bomba surprises. So the Direct was actually pretty damn weak with that in mind imo.

BUT, absolutely here for:

• Xenoblade 2 trailer
  • Divine Beast Armor set with BotW amiibo
  • Snipper Clips DLC!!
  • Lola Pop finally
  • Octopath Traveler demo (what!)
  • Odessy and its new worlds!!

Hell, I'm even pumped for Superstar Saga, new Layton, and Ace Attorney despite being more or less completely ready to be done with the 3DS. (Mario Party 100 also looks neat.)

I just wish it had at least one, big, new AAA Nintendo reveal, but I guess they have to save that for E3 or something.

ChrisD

I'd give it a 7/10. Could have trimmed some Xenoblade fat, bit of concern about the lack of any media or online app news, but it was a fun time nonetheless. DOOM and Wolfestein 2 are the biggest megatons for me; I thought at the very most we'd be getting DOOM and Wolfenstein 1 maybe but not those two. I'll be double dipping on both if they're not terrible ports.

Yeah, Xenoblade got a bit long in the tooth, and Octopath maybe could have been trimmed a bit since it's just "2018." The demo is really neat though!

My spotlight of the whole thing is the Etrian Odyssey V demo today! I can make my team now without having to just theory-craft.

Scrawnton

-No VC
-No new game announcements (don't @ me - ports of old stuff or pseudo-indies aren't new games ^_^)
-No Smash

1/10
When the world is not enough.

Not a great Direct but Octopath, DQ Builders, and Doom/Wolfenstein were amazing surprises. The headline format felt like it gave so much away. Bummed by the lack of Zelda DLC news.

TriGen

Man. I thought I couldn't be more excited for Mario after E3, but I got so hyped watching that it was like I hadn't seen the game before.

I am dissapointed we haven't seen that Zelda story DLC though.

Plum

-No VC
-No Smash

1/10

When you care about the hype more than you do the games I think it's time to stop.

ZenTzen

Enjoyed it

Mario still looks super fun, and XC2s looks awesome, environments look great, and that whole skies of arcadia feeling is getting me all giddy inside, barring the only kids MCs, or 1 or 2 character designs, which i attribute more to their costumes(i assume we can change their clothing like in previous Xenoblades), this game is onlock for me

xch1n

GAF: "Nintendo needs 3rd party support for Switch"

Direct: "Here is a port of a great game from Bethesda and also this new game from Bethesda is coming to Switch too"

Also GAF: "WTF WHY ARE THERE NO NEW 1ST PARTY ANNOUNCEMENTS?!"

I understand many people have different opinions, but it still makes me giggle.

This direct rocked. Didn't love the rehash of the Nindies presentation with zero new info, but other than that, so stoked.

It wasn't super great, but the announcement of DOOM and Wolfenstein II legitimately shocked me. Some stuff I was hoping for didn't make it (Hollow Knight release date and something Platinum) but I'm definitely picking up DOOM. Also, Xenoblade 2 is still a 2017 game, which is awesome!

Direct: "Here is a port of a great game from Bethesda and also this new game from Bethesda is coming to Switch too"

This direct rocked. Didn't love the rehash of the Nindies presentation with zero new info, but other than that, so stoked.
Don't need a Direct to announce old 3rd party ports.

jmizzal

Thought it was a pretty good direct, but had hoped for more information on BotW DLC #2. Glad to have a release date for the amiibo, but I can't help but think it got delayed.

Me too but they said more info at a later date, maybe it gets its own Direct, its still 3 months before Nov

sinonobu

Banned
I just wanted to see what the hell Switch Tales of and Taiko were. Why the hell is Bamco not showing those when they are supposed to release by this FY!?

Really dissapointed by overall japanese support and seems like Bethesda is the biggest third party for Switch, which really sounds absurd considering their history with Nintendo.

I give this direct a 🌭 out of 👾.

Anyhow, looked on the store for the Octopath demo and tried to update ARMS for Lola but it seems neither is ready yet.

Lots of great games were shown, but it feels a little bit worrying that they only have Kirby set up for H1 2018 right now.

Think they need one or two big games in H1 (not counting Yoshi or Kirby) to keep up momentum.

The reaction is that way because third party support should be standard, not a very special once every six months thing. It shouldn't be a surprise to get third party games, lol.

Crazy how GAF is made up of different people, eh?

And 3rd party support is a weird thing when you're charging full price for games that have been below <$10.

Fun Direct. Xenoblade went from a curious maybe to a conclusive no but the rest looked promising. Odyssey looks bonkers.

Two big omissions for me were Zelda DLC details and Switch UI/online service updates. I guess we won't be getting info on that til December, but would have liked to see it.

Pikma

Banned
7/10
Good Direct with good news, but not something you had to be there live for. Recommend watching all the trailers/news on Youtube for stuff you may be interested in, but you don't need the whole thing.

Mario Odyssey being one more thing'd bugged me, that should be saved for surprises! Not stuff you told us would be talked about beforehand.

Need to pre-order Xeno2 now, I guess. Hope the SE goes up soonish.
Go go go
https://www.bestbuy.com//site/xenob...witch-nintendo-switch/6111329.p?skuId=6111329

ghibli99

Some of y'all need to rewatch Kyle Bosman's video about the power of unreleased games (which had to do with Switch, interestingly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bV8bZ053Aw

I think almost everything we saw is coming out very soon. In that sense, while not as "big" as a MP4 logo, we have a console today that brings lots of real value in the name of *games* to the table. So many people just focused on those new 'gumdrops'.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The real surprise megaton was DLC for Snipperclips. 30 more stages? Sign me up!

Everytime I bust Snipperclips out with frienda you will always hear someone yell out "OK NOW SNIP ME NEXT" while fully focused on the game. Worth it to hear that everytime.

Kinsei

Banned

Eh, from the perspective of someone that has a PS4 it's hard to get excited about those two specific Switch ports since they don't really gain anything by being handheld. There's no real reason to purchase them on Switch.

Top Bottom