• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |strobogo Recap OT| This title is held in abeyance

hb2X2sK.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OMG I just heard the audio of vince and that body builder

OMG #dead

I cannot believe what I am hearing

So, is Big Show close to retiring? I've been wondering if that's why they're giving him one last "Main Event" push, and a Title Run (maybe), a proper send off and a thank you for being in the business for so long. How likely is this?

Aiii

So not worth it
So, is Big Show close to retiring? I've been wondering if that's why they're giving him one last "Main Event" push, and a Title Run (maybe), a proper send off and a thank you for being in the business for so long. How likely is this?

Nah, he still needs to earn back the loss he took when his Strip Mall went under, so he's probably sticking around for another few years.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I don't understand how any one can think a bodybuilding contest is a good idea, much less a whole "season" of it. It's such a niche product for a niche audience, I just don't get how the promotion that won that "war" did so or continues to this day other than sales of the magazine.

I really don't get how the smaller shows exist, make money, or keep doing it. Of course I also don't understand beauty pageants, fashion shows for clothes, dog shows, TNA, classic car shows, boat shows, or anything else that loses so much money just to show something off and never makes a profit. Especially TNA.

HT UK

Finally got around to watching HIAC. Interesting to see that Triple H is actually Vacant/Abeyance after all these years. That explains why he's been champ so many times in various promotions.

somedevil

Roman Reigns news:

As seen on RAW, WWE did subtle teases for a Roman Reigns babyface turn. It's going to happen but probably not for several months. The long-term idea is that Reigns splits off as a big babyface and the new feud with The Wyatt Family vs. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan is the first step towards making The Wyatts the new six-man main event unit.

If they go with a time frame his big split will come on WrestleMania. Also, the Wyatts as main event unit his harder because the Shield worked because all 3 were great workers. While Wyatts have two fine workers not great and one bad worker. Its hard to have the magic twice.

strobogo

Banned
Roman Reigns news:

If they go with a time frame his big split will come on WrestleMania. Also, the Wyatts as main event unit his harder because the Shield worked because all 3 were great workers. While Wyatts have two fine workers not great and one bad worker. Its hard to have the magic twice.

I have faith in Roman Reigns to be what they wanted out of Ryback.

Ithil

Roman Reigns news:

He is not ready, at all. Giving him a super push as a face is the worst thing they could do with Reigns right now. He's only like 27, just let him grow on the roster.

If they give him the big push now, I guarantee he's gonna get exposed. He needs a lot more work in the ring, and on the mic. I feel confident that he'll be great at both, but he's only been wrestling a couple of years, there is no rush.

DominoKid

Roman Reigns news:

plus the Wyatts just don't have the same swag as The Shield.

i dont think they should rush Roman Reigns though.

Striker

Shoving the Wyatt's into the six man tag role will be weird since (at least Bray) they're more characters than brutes in the ring. Opposite of the Shield. They're taken seriously because of it.

Should be interesting once Shield split since all three guys, in due time, should be solid. I hope they don't end up screwing around with Ambrose but I suspect they will do something stupid. No mid-card circle of life, trading wins with the likes of Ziggler, Kofi, etc.

So Renee Young had one of those WWE google hangouts with Zack Ryder. Damn this guy looks defeated, it was pretty much Renee and the moderators laughing at him for about 20 minutes. Zack Ryder also tried to hit on Renee every now and then. It sounds like WWE killed his youtube show and wont let him continue it. He also doesn't seem to have any friends in the WWE.

strobogo

Banned
So Renee Young had one of those WWE google hangouts with Zack Ryder. Damn this guy looks defeated, it was pretty much Renee and the moderators laughing at him for about 20 minutes. Zack Ryder also tried to hit on Renee every now and then. It sounds like WWE killed his youtube show and wont let him continue it. He also doesn't seem to have any friends in the WWE.

Could it be because he's whiny nerd who bitches about everything and didn't deserve the push he got in the first place? Also, he needs to stay away from Generico's girl.

Reigns is awesome, but what he REALLY needs is a long-ish, actually competitive run as, say, IC champion. Haven't had one of those in a while! If he did a few title defenses on TV a month and at house shows, he'd get to work with a large variety of people (including those in NXT), try different things in front of different crowds all over the place, and really develop. Then you let him be WHC, see how he does as the backbone of Smackdown, then push him to the main event. If they push him too soon, he's just gonna peter out and suck ass.

Which is why they'll do it, of course.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Monday Nitro 7/19/99

Hulk Hogan is the new champion, Kevin Nash might have turned heel, and Sting is looking to gain control of WCW tonight.

Recap of last week's show. Scott Hudson was filling in for Tony tonight. ICP, Dennis Rodman, and Robert Wuhl are here tonight. Remember that they referred to the actor by his name, and not the character name.

Highlight package of Ric Flair being driven crazy since becoming WCW president.

Sid comes to the ring. He can tell the fans feel the same anticipation that he feels in his blood. Mr. Hogan has something that belongs to him. I assume he means the WCW Championship. Not that I really want to see this match again, but they probably could have promoted it and at least for a decent rating. I never understood why WCW (and WWE) thought that throwing random huge matches out unannounced was better than promoting them. Either tune in and have no idea what you're going to get (it could be Sid vs Hogan for the title, or it could be Konnan vs Hammer) or tell someone a week or two in advance exactly what big match they're going to get and get them excited over it. Seems like the most basic and logical way to book a wrestling show.

Fit Finlay vs Jerry Flynn

Jimmy Hart popped up on the screen and said Finlay can get his trophy back at Road Wild. It's the first match and Hudson is already talking about the format being different than what's happening. THINGS ARE OUT OF CONTROL! Lol at Brain saying Jerry Flynn is going to be a big star. Jimmy Hart again popped up on the screen to motivate Jerry Flynn. Fit has the match won and decides to run after Jimmy Hart. Jimmy sees this and tries to hide under a bus. When Finlay gets out there, he's ambushed by the First Family.

ibxEg7kad1oPV8.gif

TO THE BACK. JoJo is having a meeting with Lenny and Lodi about something important. They think it is about being gay, but it is actually about their contracts. "It's not like we're they only ones in the company." "Oughh, I know you're not the only ones in the company. You think I live in the closet or something?" Apparently they signed the same last name, which made JoJo think they were brothers.

TO THE MEAN BROTHERDUDEJACK. Hogan's first appearance as new champion. Hollywoodmania is running wild. Being injured made him realize he needed to change his ways. So he's going back to being a face that is an asshole and wrestles like a heel instead of a heel that is an asshole and wrestles like heel.

Recap of some Sting/Flair stuff. But only from this year. There are 11 years of footage of them wrestling and they only use stuff from the last 4 months.

NORMAN SMILEY vs Lodi

Mother fucking Norman is back! He's been off TV for months, but now he's back and that means dancing gifs! Lodi did 3 Amigos. Norman won with the La Magistral. He didn't even get to dance. When he did, they cut away from him and showed Lenny and Lodi dancing instead. Bullshit.

DJ Ran says some bullshit. Goodie, Bischoff comes out for hour 2. Did he think that him being at the table would make people want to STAY on Nitro?

Sting vs Ric Flair For Control of WCW

Sting lays out Robinson before the match even starts. He displays his inner Bork by picking Robinson up with one arm and getting him out of the way. Bischoff is really trying to claim that Sting never really got the chance to be the top guy. I guess 1990-1994 don't count. Or that whole year where he was the top face without even having to wrestle. Bischoff won't stop dicking around with his mic, which means everyone gets to hear that fucking sound of some dude palming and breathing into a mic whenever he isn't talking. Which is for much of the match. Arn punched the new ref and Sid laid Sting out. Other than that, it's the same match they always have. A 2nd ref bump. Born again Christian Sting again strikes a woman. Flair gave up, but sicne the ref was out, no one was there to ring the bell. So Bischoff gets in the ring and calls for the bell. Sid came back out and powerbombed him to the biggest pop of the show so far. Hogan came out and Sid bailed. Of course Sting wins control of WCW and Hogan is the one standing tall. But we've been through this before. Bischoff doesn't have the power to make a decision in the ring. Remember when he did that for Piper vs Flair and he was overruled the next night? So he did the same thing here, will it stand? He did count a pinfall for Kidman last week and it counted so who knows. Who cares? No one is buying Bischoff as a face.

ibjQ4OYMSQ059h.gif

i8xvkDs0U4HkB.gif

Rick Steiner vs Horace WCW TV Championship

Another boring heel vs heel match that no one wants to see. Somehow the ref misses Horace doing 4 or 5 chair shots even with the ref right next to the guys. Nash came out and attacked Horace, allowing for Rick to hit the bulldog for the win. Nash then fist bumped Rick and celebrated with him. Hulk comes out wanting to know what kind of personal bullshit this is. It's REAL personal.

Psychosis vs Eddie Guerrero

Nothing much of note. Eddie won with the frog splash. After the match, La Parka and Villano X beat up Eddie. Rey came out and made the save. Eddie and Rey have a tense handshake after the match. Another heel vs heel match.

TO THE BACK. Stevie Ray tells the B Team that he's sick of the Triad. He just wants the B Team to watch his back. Crush wants to know if he's still nWo or if Harlem Heat is back together.

Stevie Ray vs Kanyon

DDP starts with talking about Stevie's Cheese Whiz sucking ass and then they do Yo Mama jokes. Triad is the worst. But here is another heel vs heel match. At least Stevie is in the midst of a face turn of sorts. Bam Bam and DDP caused a DQ. Shocker. They attempt to tie Stevie up in the corner, but Booker makes the save.

Arliss is at the announce table saying he's bringing WCW to HBO for the first time ever. Mind you, at the start of the show, they announced the actor by his name, star of Arliss. But now they're referring to him AS Arliss, and he's in character. For those of you that don't know or remember, Arliss was an HBO sitcom about a sports agent.

Randy Savage vs Kidman

Randy Savage, George, and Molly Holly come to the ring. Randy Savage announces that he's running for president in 2000, not just to hurt Hogan, but for real. Arliss is still in character and talking up Dennis Rodman. I can't decide where this falls on the Chucky and Robocop scale. I mean, they said who the actor was before he was on the show, but once he appeared, he's the character. At least with Chucky and Robocop they didn't say who the actor was first. Super boring match. Savage did a sweet piledriver and hit the elbow. He then broke the pin to do a second one. Then he punched the ref, so I assume this will be a DQ. Second elbow. Dennis Rodman comes out and attacks Savage. Arliss jumped in the ring to celebrate with him. Rodman was wearing a pimp hat, waist high leather pants, a halter top, white boa, pink lipstick, and a jacket made out of 30 other jackets. Gene and security hit the ring to get a word. Gene, Tony, and Tenay all have mics up by Rodman. Wait, Tony is there? Why isn't he doing announcing tonight? The two trade some barbs, with Savage saying he would make Rodman his bitch. This made Rodman offer his ass up. Madusa came out and get into a fight with Molly Holly.

ibh9q6fTw0gc98.gif

ii7jnnA2aAy81.gif

We're shown highlights of Konnan vs Vampiro from last week, with Hudson saying "the lucha libre" about 7 times.

Konnan vs Vampiro

They talk about the heat between these two like everyone in America watches AAA and the lucha libre. ICP attack Konnan and cause a DQ. Skinny clown does a top rope leg drop. Raven is also out there. Rey comes down for a save and gets powerbombed. Fat clown does a moonsault that the camera mostly misses because they were busy looking at Raven not giving a shit. I'm surprised they did both of the celebrity angles back to back.

ibjDLPrhlQ3bCB.gif

Nitro Girls dance.

Recap of Savage losing his title to Hogan last week.

Buff comes out to Cat's music in black face and with a guy as Sonny Onoo with an Asian Halloween mask on. Nothing offensive about this. "How do you say chicken in Japanese?" God damn. The weirdest thing about this is that Buff's normal super tan skin tone is darker than Cat's normal skin tone to start with. Another round of Yo Mama jokes. Cat and Sonny hit the ring. Buff fights them off, but Cat hits Buff with a ruby slipper. Cat then dances and does a moonwalk people's elbow. Buff went from feuding with Flair and Piper to a mid card feud with The Cat where he's been laid out twice in a row and dresses up in black face.

ibrZguafglFg9H.gif

Curt Hennig/Barry Windham vs Chris Benoit/Saturn

The Rednecks continue, but their angle is dead. The angle with Benoit/Dean/Saturn/Buff against the man seems to be dead as well. And this goes a few minutes before another DQ. Malenko came in for the save and was also beaten down. Then SHANE DOUGLAS runs in and makes the save! The Franchise (HA HA) Shane (HA HA) Douglas (HA HA)! He's here to cut out the cancer in WCW.

Nitro Girls dance.

Sid vs Hollywood Hogan WCW Championship

Brain doesn't think these two have ever had a match together. I guess Flair losing at WM8 was so traumatic to him that he forgot the main event that night. Sid does a whole lot of stalling. The match finally starts and Sid goes after Hogan's knee. They cut to an unexpected commercial right in the middle of a move since they went into over time. They should have stayed on commercial, because this is death. As Hogan was about to hit the leg drop, Nash ran in and caused another DQ. Sting hit the ring. Then Rick Steiner hit the ring. Terrible music hits and it's GOLDBERG! He cleans house as Nash, Sid, and Rick Steiner hold each other's arms up on the floor. That's right, Kevin Nash is now not just helping Sid to get at Hogan, but celebrating with Sid. The same guy who literally tried to murder him just last month. It's Goldberg's first appearance since two weeks ago when he said he was back.

ibzewBfTmYsRAG.gif

DQ Count: 5 out of 10, with one count out and one possible no contest. 5 disqualifications IN A ROW. 2 clean finishes the whole show.

This shit is garbage. I'm watching most of the shows lately at 1.30x and slowing them down for gifs and they're still killing me. Arliss in character on the show, even though he was announced as the actor. ICP. Dennis Rodman being brought back. Hogan as top babyface champion again. Eric Bischoff still doing the good guy face boss thing that no one buys or cares about, doing yet another finish where he has no authority to make the call. Nash and Sid are now friendly with each other. Shane Douglas debuts and says insidery things about Ric Flair without saying his name because everyone is supposed to know about their real heat.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah, ICP. The reason I stopped watching regurally.

You know seeing Randy Savage there and trying my hardest to remember why I enjoyed him in 1999, I think I'm going to try and track down my copy of Wrestling World 2000.

Somehow being in Japan made him and Rick Steiner give a damn, either that or being in a company that had an actual planned ending for it's nWo.

strobogo

Banned
Why can't I find an older version of F.lux anywhere online? The new version just makes my monitor flicker. I want the old version and have searched every way and place I can think of. It's like all old versions were just erased.

Top Bottom