• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection (PS2/PSP/Wii)

Agent X

poppabk said:
Now where is the NA release of Gottleib?

Yeah, I'm rather surprised they still haven't released The Gottlieb Collection for the Wii in North America by now. Some people might be quick to label this as "shovelware", since the original version has been out for years on other systems, but this is one piece of shovelware that I would welcome!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Agent X said:
Yeah, I'm rather surprised they still haven't released The Gottlieb Collection for the Wii in North America by now. Some people might be quick to label this as "shovelware", since the original version has been out for years on other systems, but this is one piece of shovelware that I would welcome!

It's awesome indeed, far from shovelware and the Wii version is without a doubt the best one, simple motion controls and having a break-apart controller makes it a lot more pinball-like, far better and immersive that you would imagine by reading about those little touch-ups.

I've got both the Hall of Fame btw :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm so fucking pissed! >_<

Does anybody have a savestate for the Wii version with everything/most of it unlocked?
I've screwed up mine (and the Twilight Princess' one too ffs)!

Agent X said:

Me too. I actually imported the UK version, only to find out it doesn't even work with the HBC's region free program. :\

Agent X

The descriptions of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game on Amazon has been updated. These versions will have three new tables, although it's unclear exactly which three, as each of these pages has two separate and contradicting descriptions. Both of the descriptions list Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights as two of the new tables, with the third being either No Good Gofers or Monster Bash. All of these are mid to late 1990s Williams games, several years newer than even the most recent tables in the other versions of this collection.

Agent X said:
The descriptions of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game on Amazon has been updated. These versions will have three new tables, although it's unclear exactly which three, as each of these pages has two separate and contradicting descriptions. Both of the descriptions list Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights as two of the new tables, with the third being either No Good Gofers or Monster Bash. All of these are mid to late 1990s Williams games, several years newer than even the most recent tables in the other versions of this collection.

Two of my all time favorites! That would be great if it was both, but I suppose I'd be happy with just one.

Banned
I went to a pinball expo yesterday and got a hankering to play Pinbot, Hurricane & Tee'd Off, so dusted this off. You can't really make the detail out on my LCD tv when it's from a distance... Which is a shame, because the table is nice & big, looks good on close ups...

jvm

Gamasutra.
By the way, I asked a local GameStop manager whether they'd be stocking the PS3/X360 releases of Pinball Hall of Fame, and he said he could find no indication that they would. So frustrating that this game could get more exposure, but won't because of this.

Ah well. At least I'll get it somewhere...

Benedict

Any impressions on the web about the PS3 or X360 versions of this game from E3?

Edit: Crave Press release from 30th May

* Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
Crave Entertainment brings one of the major forces in arcade history to next-gen consoles for the first time with Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. Presenting classic pinball action along with challenging new tables such as "Medieval Madness" and "The Tales of the Arabian Nights," Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection also introduces new features such as online leader boards and additional table goals&#65533;to bring an awesome, retro pinball experience right into your home. Fans have been clamoring for this award winning franchise to make its debut on the latest next-gen consoles.

Edit2: omg found a hands-on from Gamespots Andre Segers ...

Some info from Gamespot
13 pinball tables, three of which are completely new to this version, including Medieval Madness and Arabian Nights.

The process of selecting a table is actually quite cool because they're scattered around a virtual arcade, including some in an upstairs area and a back room.

About Medieval Madness:
it's clear that the developers took much care in ensuring that the tables play as close to the original as possible. The physics seemed spot-on, with the ball having just the right amount of momentum and rebounding off of the various obstacles in a realistic manner. And every detail of the table seemed to be meticulously re-created, down to the smallest detail, such as forcing the castle's gate open with repeated hits.

the sturdy nature of the Xbox 360 controller almost makes it feel as if you've wrapped your hands around a physical table, with the triggers controlling the left and right bumpers respectively. The control stick is smartly used to pull the plunger back and snap it into the ball, just like the real thing. Finally, you'll feel every jostle with the controller vibrating just perfectly as the ball bounces around the table. We unfortunately weren't able to try the PlayStation3 version, so we're curious as to whether the controller's ergonomics impacts the game's immersive feel at all. Sadly, it seems that there won't be any Sixaxis support.

the game features leaderboards and a challenge mode called Wizard's Goals, which provides objectives tailored to each table. Completing them all unlocks the special hidden mode, which should add a good amount of replayability to the game.

Release date: Sept 1 2009

Can't wait for this game to be released!

edit 3:

Pics from IGN:
e3-2009-pinball-hall-of-fame-screens-20090603002158754.jpg

e3-2009-pinball-hall-of-fame-screens-20090603002155114.jpg

Three more images at the link above

jvm

Gamasutra.
I know I'm just a spoiled gamer and all, but is there any reason the textures still don't look razor sharp on the table? Maybe I'm just expecting too much.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
At Crave's booth at e3, they had a Wii version of Gottlieb playable, and claimed it was coming this fall. When I told them that the port had already been released in Europe, they looked confused.

Regardless, I'll pick up the Wii Gottlieb...

Agent X

IGN posted a hands-on preview of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version a few days ago.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1016581p1.html

IGN's preview says that there are only two extra tables: Tales of the Arabian Nights and No Good Gofers. No mention of Medieval Madness or Monster Bash, unless they've been hidden away as unlockable tables (as they've apparently done with Jive Time in these versions).

Also, Amazon is showing both versions as having a $39.99 price. I would've sworn these were priced at $29.99 earlier.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, if only I had a 360 or PS3, I'd be all over this new version. I got the PS2 version initially, then later the Wii version for the extra tables and controls, and then the PSP version for pinball on the go. I'm such a whore for these games. :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Agent X said:
IGN posted a hands-on preview of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 version a few days ago.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1016581p1.html

IGN's preview says that there are only two extra tables: Tales of the Arabian Nights and No Good Gofers. No mention of Medieval Madness or Monster Bash, unless they've been hidden away as unlockable tables (as they've apparently done with Jive Time in these versions).

Also, Amazon is showing both versions as having a $39.99 price. I would've sworn these were priced at $29.99 earlier.
This list of achievements for the X360 version says that Medieval Madness is in there...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Now that I think of it, judging from the Internet Pinball Database's entry on the Twilight Zone table, if someone wants to include that game in a future compilation, they're going to have to jump through THREE licensing hoops to get that one in. There's the license from the show itself, permission from the Rod Serling estate to use his likeness, and permission from Golden Earring to use their song entitled "Twilight Zone" for use in the game. That's a lot of hoops!

And I always had a morbid fascination over playing Medieval Madness ever since I learned that Liz Lemon did some voicework for that game.

Lettuce

Whens the release date for the UK version, and any news if this is region free?? Loved this on the Wii but the graphics suffered abit, Taxi was 1 of my favs :D

Brashnir

Anyone still playing this? I got the 360 version for Xmas and have been loving it. So much so that It's had me pricing and shopping for a real pinball machine. (must...resist...)

Seems like the kind of game I'll keep coming back to for years. I hope they release more tables as DLC at some point, though I'm not really optimistic.

Yep, I love the X360 version. Aside from some weird glitches and some odd cheats on the extremely well-done ball 'n table behavior, I think it's the best single console pinball release ever. I really hope for them to get in the ring with Zen on XBLA and PSN (regular offering of DLC tables, please!!) as Farsight's handling of pinball is far more playable and fun making Pinball FX and Zen Pinball seem like those old battery-operated toy pinball tables sold at a Sears and such. Obviously, it helps that the table selection is pulled from some of the greatest classic designs ever, but the general approach is better even if it lacks online play.

The 360 version of this game is the best 30 bucks i have ever spent in gaming! The game is such a blast to play, and some of the achievments are INSANE! I need two more Wizard Goals to 1K it, but they are TOUGH! I have to Travel To The Sun and Earn The Special in Pinbot, along with winning the Battle For The Kingdom in Medieval Madness. I always get to the last part of the battle, then i CHOKE! lol

And for anyone on the fence about purchasing it, Amazon.com has it for 17.96. http://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Hall-Fame-Collection-Xbox-360/dp/B001L8DKM0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1265533134&sr=8-6

sladeums

currently $9.99 new / $8.99 used at Gamestop
(360 and PS3)

if you've ever played any of these machines in real life you'll be astounded at how well they nailed the physics on these tables.

@ 10 bucks its a no brainer if you have the slightest interest in the game.

Chojin

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

TOAN is one of my FAVORITE FAVORITE tables ever.

Medieval Madness is a nice add too.

Looks like I'm buying this game again!

Benedict

sladeums said:
currently $9.99 new / $8.99 used at Gamestop
(360 and PS3)

if you've ever played any of these machines in real life you'll be astounded at how well they nailed the physics on these tables.

@ 10 bucks its a no brainer if you have the slightest interest in the game.

Any way of getting the game at this price or similar to ship overseas?

Would like to get it delivered to Sweden.
Appreciate any help.

Edit: WTF is it with amazon.com!!!
They want USD 35.98 for shipping the game to Sweden and USD 13.99 in import fees. The only shipping option I see is Priority International Courier.
Is there any way to change this highway robbery?

vazel

Banned
After having played a few other pinball games I have to say this is the best pinball game out there the tables and physics are the best. Not even the Gottlieb game from the same developer is as good(the physics are about the same but the tables are boring).

Edit: I could've sworn there was a separate thread for the PS3/360 version of this game.

Benedict

vazel said:
After having played a few other pinball games I have to say this is the best pinball game out there the tables and physics are the best. Not even the Gottlieb game from the same developer is as good(the physics are about the same but the tables are boring).

Edit: I could've sworn there was a separate thread for the PS3/360 version of this game.

There is, I made it.
But for some reason NeoGAF doesn't allow me to watch all the threads I've created:

I only get this message when trying:

Benedict, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Edit: Found it in my subscribed threads-list

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357982

Gillian Seed said:
The 360 version of this game is the best 30 bucks i have ever spent in gaming! The game is such a blast to play, and some of the achievments are INSANE! I need two more Wizard Goals to 1K it, but they are TOUGH! I have to Travel To The Sun and Earn The Special in Pinbot, along with winning the Battle For The Kingdom in Medieval Madness. I always get to the last part of the battle, then i CHOKE! lol

And for anyone on the fence about purchasing it, Amazon.com has it for 17.96. http://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Hall-Fame-Collection-Xbox-360/dp/B001L8DKM0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1265533134&sr=8-6
I didn't even know this collection was even on the 360 or PS3. Buying it this week.

I bought this when it went to 29.99 but busy with other games and forgot all about it. I pop it in today, and wow, the 360 version is probably the best pinball games.

Seeing the price drop the game probably didn't do to well so a chance of getting update Gottlieb for 360/ps3 probably slim to none.

On that note how is the Xbox / PS2 version of Gottlieb?

antiquegamer said:
I bought this when it went to 29.99 but busy with other games and forgot all about it. I pop it in today, and wow, the 360 version is probably the best pinball games.

Seeing the price drop the game probably didn't do to well so a chance of getting update Gottlieb for 360/ps3 probably slim to none.

Not very good. The physics are a little off in that collection.

Brashnir

antiquegamer said:

Nowhere near as good as Williams Collection, but the Xbox version is BC on 360 at least.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to fire this up and play a little more. Just set my high score on Whirlwind - 66,905,550. I'm sure someone here has it crushed, but hey, it's my best score.

Shiv47

The Gottlieb set came out for the Wii a little while back, but the table selection was fucking dreadful. I have a fondness for the classic 70s Gottlieb wedgeheads, and they threw in all these crappy machines from the 50s and 60s instead that play like shit once you've played more modern machines. The Williams collection is fantastic, though.

Brashnir

Shiv47 said:
The Gottlieb set came out for the Wii a little while back, but the table selection was fucking dreadful. I have a fondness for the classic 70s Gottlieb wedgeheads, and they threw in all these crappy machines from the 50s and 60s instead that play like shit once you've played more modern machines. The Williams collection is fantastic, though.

yeah, the table assortment in the Williams collection just destroys the Gottlieb ones. My favorite era is late 70s - mid 80s, which is very well represented in the Williams collection.

RoryDropkick said:
I still want a Williams Collection 2 with Black Knight 2000 and Jack-Bot and Bride of Pin-Bot..
BK2000 would be great, as would Bride. Jack-Bot is just Pin*bot with an altered skin and scoring system, I thought...virtually same table layout. Just looking at what might be possible from a stable of non-licensed Bally/Midway/Williams tables: High Speed, Xenon, Cyclone, Theatre of Magic, Cirqus Voltaire, White Water, Monster Bash, Eight Ball Deluxe, etc. All of those and more would be amazing choices for the next volume (if they ever do one). *crosses fingers*

Brashnir said:
Nowhere near as good as Williams Collection, but the Xbox version is BC on 360 at least.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to fire this up and play a little more. Just set my high score on Whirlwind - 66,905,550. I'm sure someone here has it crushed, but hey, it's my best score.

I picked up the Gottlieb collection off ebay for $5.00 still seal, though I think I used to own this game on original xbox. Anyway, while the game is backward compatible and actually look pretty good as it's upscale and widescreen support there are several bugs. The victory table was unplayable due to the fact that if you loose the ball the 2nd ball never get release (gee just like some of the table in the arcade where the ball would be stuck in release mechanism) and one of the table keep asking for 2nd controller to be plug in.

And, yeah, as someone mention the physic on the xbox Gottlieb is a little off. I think it play better on PSP, but dammit I want it on big screen. May be I should try the Wii version of Gottlieb.

The physics, in general, on the Gottlieb collection isn't nearly as refined and believable as the Williams one. It's more typical of the old pinball recreations that lack that punch and speed...it's definitely noticeable and makes me want to see it re-released on X360 as I'd love Black Hole, Genie, and Haunted House (among others) playing as well as the Williams collection.

Top Bottom