• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 04/16/13 - Dragon Fantasy Book I (YOPO) | Soul Sacrifice (Demo)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Actually this was posted yesterday by me in this very thread and it seems like no one even paid attention to it. All people had to do was look at the Sony support page and you could see that there was going to outtages all day monday & tuesday.

Sorry. Keep getting riled up about information we've had for awhile now though. :) Didn't mean to be a c-c-combo breaker.
Not sure I follow. They said on the front page of their blog that SS would be out Tuesday. That didn't happen...

aristotle

Maybe I'm dumb but I thought it was pretty consistent for like the past year.

I happen to believe for good reason that almost no one here has ever worked on server systems. Let them get riled up for no reason. It makes this laughable at least.

Not sure I follow. They said on the front page of their blog that SS would be out Tuesday. That didn't happen...

If you go to the sony support website there was a warning up all day yesterday saying that the maintenance had been extended through Tuesday. If you checked their server status page it read "Offline". The links were there, but no one cared to look into it past looking at the blog page. They should've updated that for sure, since they have in the past. Beyond that though, the information was out already that there was server issues.

Number45

What he means is that there's no schedule for it.
There's a reason Grace Chen Time (GCT) is a "thing".

It's because the SCEA PSN team is so incompetent, you don't know what time on Tuesday (if at all) content is going up. With other services, such as Steam or XBL, if content is promised on a given day, it's usually up at a specific time and without incident... his point being that the US store is a chaotic unpredictable mess that randomly updates whenever the fuck someone manages to get the content online. It's not like they've been doing this for, say, the past 3-5 years and they should have a repeatable process and procedure for the updates by now... one which is dependable and consistent so as to deliver content to consumers in a timely and predictable way.

Number45 was in the right to correct my grammatical error, but you're dead-on with the further explanation of what I was implying.
I do understand the frustrations (we're not alien to waiting in the EU as I'm sure most will appreciate, though they have improved on that considerably in the last few months), for me it just seems that the outpouring of ire on the internet is disproportionate to the "crime".

My main complaint as has been mentioned would be the lack of transparency when these things occur. I'm a technical person so I understand that sometimes things just don't come together as they should, so explaining what happened afterwards would help.

Azull

If you go to the sony support website there was a warning up all day yesterday saying that the maintenance had been extended through Tuesday. If you checked their server status page it read "Offline". The links were there, but no one cared to look into it past looking at the blog page. They should've updated that for sure, since they have in the past. Beyond that though, the information was out already that there was server issues.

Wait there's server issues? What?! Where!?

Joking aside, we all obviously knew but even your almighty wisdom couldn't have predicted that they still wouldn't have updated by EST mid Wednesday. Unless you're wizard.

0_0.

ptEc3LD.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jphxpi1ro

JJD

I happen to believe for good reason that almost no one here has ever worked on server systems. Let them get riled up for no reason. It makes this laughable at least.

This is ridiculous. Laughable is the defense force trying to justify Sony's ineptitude.

Why other digital platforms are able to update their stores in a timely manner?

People are more than willing to forget issues every now and then. Look at the PSN hack fiasco.

This ain't the case with US PSN Store updates. They have always been a clusterfuck. People are absolutely right to be tired and pissed at this.

It's really annoying that Sony won't update the PSblog with new stories during any downtime that they have with the store due to the fact that people will spam article and potentially down vote them out of anger.

Having one or multiple teams handling the stores is irrelevant. Centralized store means one store for all countries. Centralized store ≠ Centralized management.

The fact is that all of then (including PSN) still operate separate stores on different countries, with different catalogs, release dates, prices and they need to charge in different currencies.

Companies that used to have a single worldwide store like Steam are opening region specific stores because it's the best way to go when dealing with ratings, laws, taxes and even consumer support.
Pedantry. It was obvious what we were talking about, so I have no clue why you've jumped in with this. Yes, we realise that country specific stores are here to stay but that CLEARLY isn't the issue when it comes to the separation between the SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA PSNs.

When people say that Sony should centralise the PSN, they are almost always talking about things like release dates, PS+, sales, update times and so forth. One of the great things about Steam is that despite regional differences, I can still be gifted a game that isn't available on my store and it'll be attached to my account because it's the same registry and the same network. PSN doesn't work like that at all though, it works like the SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA PSNs are completely separate from one another. Call it "centralized management" if you like, I don't really care.

You mentioned small offices helping with translation, but that is false too. Translations are not handled or helped by small Sony teams in each region. They are handled by the devs. or mostly by the publisher using third party contractors.
Thanks but I already knew that. I'm not talking about the games and their descriptions, I'm talking about the store and store promotions. They could, of course, do it locally, but they'd already have translators in their divisions anyway.

Your point was that they could have a centralized store, but "internal politics" prevent it, and that could not be farther from the truth.

It's much more complicated than that. In fact, you may be unable to even digitally sell software in some countries if you do not have a respective store front there.

Again, you're talking about something that no-one else is.

SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA already run a variety of country specific stores (SCEE runs the UK, Ireland, French, Germany, Aus, NZ, SA, Saudi, etc. stores for instance), so the idea that those three can't combine into just one entity, running every country specific store out of it, is utterly absurd.

aristotle

Wait there's server issues? What?! Where!?

Joking aside, we all obviously knew but even your almighty wisdom couldn't have predicted that they still wouldn't have updated by EST mid Wednesday. Unless you're wizard.

0_0.

Geez. No need to be snarky because your demo hasn't released yet.

All I said was that the information was there, but no one cared to look it up since it wasn't on the blog website. It was stated yesterday that they had extended the maintenance into Tuesday. Anyone with a little bit of critical thinking could've gathered that the likelihood of a Tuesday release was unlikely at that point.

This is ridiculous. Laughable is the defense force trying to justify Sony's ineptitude.

Why other digital platforms are able to update their stores in a timely manner?

People are more than willing to forget issues every now and then. Look at the PSN hack fiasco.

This ain't the case with US PSN Store updates. They have always been a clusterfuck. People are absolutely right to be tired and pissed at this.

Calm down. Do you actually think I'm apologizing? I'm an IT Admin and I know from personal experience that if things go wonky for whatever reason an ETA for everything working again is almost impossible to give. All I did was link information. Get over yourself.

Venfayth

Oh man, I just realized how apt my comparison to the WoW maintenance downtimes is. Reading these angry posts about the downtime is actually giving me nostalgia.

Keep in mind, I'm not defending Sony. Maintenance is important, and keeping the downtime minimal is important as well. And voicing dissatisfaction when the performance is poor is important as well. Just making an observation.

Azull

Geez. No need to be snarky because your demo hasn't released yet.

All I said was that the information was there, but no one cared to look it up since it wasn't on the blog website. It was stated yesterday that they had extended the maintenance into Tuesday. Anyone with a little bit of critical thinking could've gathered that the likelihood of a Tuesday release was unlikely at that point.

Joking aside means...? Flew right over your head I suppose.

Actually all the signs pointed to a late Tuesday release, not a non existent one. Unless, once again, you're a wizard.

Sorry I should have been more specific, US PSN Store inconsistency. EU and JP seem to know how to do things.

aristotle

I thought those kinds of posts were bannable?

I was just stating facts. No need to get all riled up for it. Think about it this way, the whole reason for Monday maintenance & Tuesday store updates is because outside of the diehard consumers, having everything running smoothly from Fri-Sun is way more important than some downtime during the week. When this issue is still going on Thursday night, then there's cause for alarm.

No, you're talking about Sony. When has their stuff actually ran smooth even after maintenance. You can try to speak sense but this isn't some new complaint that just happened overnight. It doesn't matter how many maintenance they go through, It's still Sony

Aren't you thankful?

Best part is the vague terms used to prevent committing to a day or time the update will occur. "We're aiming..." that doesn't inspire confidence, just leaves the door open for more ineptitude.

If by "consistent" you mean "at some point on Tuesday PDT", then yes, it's been pretty consistent.
Otherwise, not at all. Why do you think that "Grace Chen Time" is a thing?

aristotle

No, you're talking about Sony. When has their stuff actually ran smooth even after maintenance. You can try to speak sense but this isn't some new complaint that just happened overnight. It doesn't matter how many maintenance they go through, It's still Sony

Sorry I was trying to logical and make this thread a little less pissy. :p

Anecdotal but I haven't had any issues that I can recall in the last year that wasn't through some fault of my own or my home ISP except Tuesday this week. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

UberTag

Best part is the vague terms used to prevent committing to a day or time the update will occur. "We're aiming..." that doesn't inspire confidence, just leaves the door open for more ineptitude.
When I hear a comment like "we're aiming to have it up today" all it tells me is that I should be shocked if we get any of kind of update today.
Tomorrow at the earliest = best case scenario

When I hear a comment like "we're aiming to have it up today" all it tells me is that I should be shocked if we get any of kind of update today.
Tomorrow at the earliest = best case scenario

Yeah, pretty much. Remember the really bad guesses trying to restore the service after they were hacked?

From where I'm sitting Sony, particularly SCEA, has no idea how to communicate with their customers.

Oh, this week's update is just a throwback! It all makes sense now...

:lol
:)

snap0212

Anecdotal but I haven't had any issues that I can recall in the last year that wasn't through some fault of my own or my home ISP except Tuesday this week. I'm sure I can't be the only one.
People really aren't mad because something went wrong this time. That would be unreasonable and telling everyone to chill for a while would be acceptable.

However, this is Sony we're talking about. The company that has a history of not being able to do anything smoothly, never being on time ever and being absolutely useless every single time when it comes to communicating with their customers (while SCEA will just not reply, SCEE often hides behind NDAs giving everyone the impression that they do care but just can't say anything). This generation is almost over and they've not been able to solve the problems people have been complaining about ever since the store launched.

It's my main reason why I want the next Xbox to rock simply because of the way Sony screws up online again and again. It's a real problem.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
remember when stores used to update on Thursdays? #PlayStationMemories.

Remember when the store updated on time? #saidnobodyever

aristotle said:

So you're new to these threads. WillyWonkaYouMustBeNewHere.jpg

Protip: Sony is always late, people are going to be pissy about it. But in this case they're over 24 hours later than normal. Cue massive pissiness. If you haven't noticed you're either checking the store the day after or the weekend. Tuesdays are always a waiting game.

aristotle said:
I thought those kinds of posts were bannable?

So is backseat modding, just saying~

Petrae

remember when stores used to update on Thursdays? #PlayStationMemories.

And, even then, update times were still wildly inconsistent.

This is 2013, not 2008. Microsoft has its house in order when it comes to marketplace update windows. Nintendo somehow manages this, too. And yet it's Sony who can't seem to figure this stuff out.

Is this the same Sony that people are getting excited about for late this year? The same company with monthly (or more) "maintenance" on its network? The same company that hasn't figured our how to update its digital marketplace with any time consistency after so many years?

Yikes.

Roto13

You mean like you're doing?

And like I'm doing?

Great, now we're all going to be banned.

And, even then, update times were still wildly inconsistent.

This is 2013, not 2008. Microsoft has its house in order when it comes to marketplace update windows. Nintendo somehow manages this, too. And yet it's Sony who can't seem to figure this stuff out.

Is this the same Sony that people are getting excited about for late this year? The same company with monthly (or more) "maintenance" on its network? The same company that hasn't figured our how to update its digital marketplace with any time consistency after so many years?

Yikes.

Most people don't make console purchasing decisions based on store update times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3jg7dzsSk-s/UJaANi5uAZI/AAAAAAAAAFU/IKirVzFALQU/s1600/Playstation-Store.jpg

Man, that's so much better than the revamped store. Probably faster to load on PS3 as well.

#PlayStationMemories #SonyGUIDepartmentThatCantOptimizeShouldBeFired

amidoinitrite

Great, now we're all going to be banned.

FreshPrinceEveryonesGettingBanned.jpg

antibolo

Banned
Meanwhile in the video gaming press, nobody has noticed the lack of PS store update because they're all too busy reporting on this morning's Nintendo Direct.

Well played Sony.

Petrae

Most people don't make console purchasing decisions based on store update times.

But if the network is down every month? What then? Acceptable because it's free, I suppose?

It's a problem in a stack of problems regarding PSN that Sony has failed to address over the course of the last console generation. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in their next platform from me, as online functionality will play a gradually larger role.

aristotle

People really aren't mad because something went wrong this time. That would be unreasonable and telling everyone to chill for a while would be acceptable.

However, this is Sony we're talking about. The company that has a history of not being able to do anything smoothly, never being on time ever and being absolutely useless every single time when it comes to communicating with their customers (while SCEA will just not reply, SCEE often hides behind NDAs giving everyone the impression that they do care but just can't say anything). This generation is almost over and they've not been able to solve the problems people have been complaining about ever since the store launched.

It's my main reason why I want the next Xbox to rock simply because of the way Sony screws up online again and again. It's a real problem.

That would make sense if they didn't communicate at all, but I linked at least twice where they did say monday night and tuesday there were issues. It just wasn't posted on the blog for some reason.

So you're new to these threads. WillyWonkaYouMustBeNewHere.jpg

Protip: Sony is always late, people are going to be pissy about it. But in this case they're over 24 hours later than normal. Cue massive pissiness. If you haven't noticed you're either checking the store the day after or the weekend. Tuesdays are always a waiting game.

No I'm not new :( I'm even on your PSN list! I'm easily forgotten bah!

And that wasn't backseat modding. It was a hint and I didn't want a junior to go nuts and get banned for something that is easily prevented.

Petrae

Meanwhile in the video gaming press, nobody has noticed the lack of PS store update because they're all too busy reporting on this morning's Nintendo Direct.

Well played Sony.

It's for the better, really. Do you want to get yelled at by writers because you don't understand that things break? Besides: Sony's "aiming" to have the update done today. Nothing to see here.

Grace, I'm putting you on notice. I have an afternoon meeting, a haircut, and then I'll be picking my daughter up from daycare. I expect my Soul Sacrifice demo to be waiting for me when I get home. Don't disappoint me!

Roto13

But if the network is down every month? What then? Acceptable because it's free, I suppose?

It's a problem in a stack of problems regarding PSN that Sony has failed to address over the course of the last console generation. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence in their next platform from me, as online functionality will play a gradually larger role.

The network is down for like three hours every month and usually with advanced notice and only for people who haven't signed in in the past week.

Very, very few people care.

Build a gaming PC like I'm doing.
You'll be much better off.
Everything runs better, the sales are better, the catalog is bigger, the online is always free, and if you go through Steam, they're pretty fucking consistent.

At this rate, maybe the store will be routinely updated on time when I eventually pick up a PS4 -- that is after a redesign and several price drops. ;)

B.O.O.M

SCEA is a fucking fail in pretty much everything it does. Tretton and the others must be on REAL good terms with Kaz to still have their jobs

And no this comment is obviously not just about this store update delay

JJD

Pedantry. It was obvious what we were talking about, so I have no clue why you've jumped in with this. Yes, we realise that country specific stores are here to stay but that CLEARLY isn't the issue when it comes to the separation between the SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA PSNs.

When people say that Sony should centralise the PSN, they are almost always talking about things like release dates, PS+, sales, update times and so forth. One of the great things about Steam is that despite regional differences, I can still be gifted a game that isn't available on my store and it'll be attached to my account because it's the same registry and the same network. PSN doesn't work like that at all though, it works like the SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA PSNs are completely separate from one another. Call it "centralized management" if you like, I don't really care.

Thanks but I already knew that. I'm not talking about the games and their descriptions, I'm talking about the store and store promotions. They could, of course, do it locally, but they'd already have translators in their divisions anyway.

Again, you're talking about something that no-one else is.

SCEA, SCEE and SCEJA already run a variety of country specific stores (SCEE runs the UK, Ireland, French, Germany, Aus, NZ, SA, Saudi, etc. stores for instance), so the idea that those three can't combine into just one entity, running every country specific store out of it, is utterly absurd.

LOL! Perhaps you should be a little more pedant, more precise and clear yourself.

You really did expect anyone would get all that out of that vague 2 lines post you made back there?

And no, I didn't jump at anything. I merely responded your post. We are in a discussion forum after all.

Or did you you jumped at Seks too when you answered him? Because he wasn't talking to you either.

snap0212

That would make sense if they didn't communicate at all, but I linked at least twice where they did say monday night and tuesday there were issues. It just wasn't posted on the blog for some reason.
The way they communicate is the problem. There's two kinds of Sony comments: They're either completely vague or they don't exist at all.
That is okay to a certain extend but they should be updating their customers on what's happening. Give them a time-frame and if you miss it then tell people as soon as you know about that. Don't wait to give them valuable information.

It's not like they could be surprised by any of these things – it's the same couple of problems that occur all the time and yet they don't have a plan on how to communicate in these cases? It's a shame.

darkwing

store is not up yet? we demand free games!

meanwhile blog comments have passed the 6500+ mark

I daresay it will reach over 9000 before the store is updated

Azull

Most of us are just poking fun since this isn't a new thing for NA psn. I dont know where you are seeing the pissyness (lol) of this thread.

Top Bottom