• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would split the party, there's no way around it. Probably over half would want to concede something on immigration reform but the rest would be in full Tea Party anarchy mode. I can't imagine how crazy the 2014 midterms will get.

You know it's sad that my first response to this was "Nah, can't get any crazier than it already is," and then I remember how many times I've said that since Jan. 09. :(

Clevinger

im really trying to figure out why so many republicans in the senate voted against VAWA. I just...dont....understand.

It was expanded to include illegal immigrants and lesbians. As far as I remember, a similar number of Republicans have voted against it every time since the 90s, so that's not really much of an excuse for those shitheads either.

Dram

For some reason Republicans were also against it because it protected Native Americans.

Edit: I found the reason http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/senate-passes-violence-against-women-act/

Opponents of the bill object to provisions that make federal grants to domestic violence organizations subject to their ability to prove they do not discriminate against homosexual and transgender victims. They complain that on Native American reservations, it shifts authority of tribal courts over domestic violence matters with non-tribal aggressors. They also object that it provides additional visas for battered undocumented women who agree to cooperate with law enforcement.

Currently, local tribal authorities say they struggle to prosecute domestic abuses cases of Native American women who are married to non-Native American men because they don’t have the force of law over non-tribe members. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell cut a deal earlier Thursday to debate and vote on two Republican amendments and one Democratic amendment, although all three amendments failed to get enough support to change the bill.

Remember the tea party mayor Rob Ford?

With his typical christian-white-conservative "Im being prosecuted!" syndrome, in which he declared that there was a war on cars, and all public transit expansion should cease?

Good news everyone!

Five years after Mayor David Miller unveiled his Transit City proposal for a citywide network of light rail lines, two years after Ontario government agreed to fund half of them, and one year after a new mayor announced that “Transit City is Dead,” the project finally appears to be moving forward. A unanimous vote by Toronto regional transportation officials today clears the way for C$8.4 billion in new transit investments between now and 2020.

In the process, conservative Mayor Rob Ford, whose antipathy towards alternative transportation modes verged on the truly anti-urban, has lost his influence. It’s an exciting step for a city that has wavered wildly on transportation issues over the past decade, but which is in true need of better public transit.
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2012/04/25/torontos-transit-city-back-in-play/

I suggest reading the full article.

Ford pulled all the classic conservative tricks.

-Say hes going to save money, and propose something more expensive...all while complaining of gravy trains
-Propose improvements that are of course worse
-Imply that the private sector will come in and fix things, and then proven they wont

Fortunately, the mayor of toronto is not a king and was overthrown by the council.

Jackson50

Newt Gingrich's Secret Service ends tonight, Must hurt to lose someone you thought would be there for you.​

Ice cold.
Hahaha. Good.
I noticed Boehner noted his concurrence with Rubio's recent op-ed in the LA Times. It seems reasonable, and I'd agree Latin America warrants more attention. Yet aside from the glib generalities, it's yet another example of the GOP's destitute foreign policy. He places an inordinate amount of attention on Cuba. And although Rubio fulminates about the recession of democracy, he conspicuously focuses only on states with leftist governments; admittedly, it's not a uniquely Republican practice to deplore the authoritarian tendencies of opponents while hypocritically ignoring your friends' deficiencies. Nevertheless, if our goal is to promote democracy, a smidgen of consistency would be cool. He also decries the lack of economic integration, although he has to dismiss Obama's effort on passing the Colombian and Panamanian trade agreements and work on the TPP. Further, while he devotes a few paragraphs to Cuba and Venezuela, he mentions Brazil only in passing as a member of a prospective multilateral energy alliance. First, it demonstrates their foreign policy is utterly warped; to focus on a bit player while ignoring a potential major power is laughable. Second, it's a relationship Obama has actually fostered with appreciable success. Sorry. I've noticed numerous pundits lauding his recent speech and op-ed. But neither is especially impressive.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hahaha. Good.I noticed Boehner noted his concurrence with Rubio's recent op-ed in the LA Times. It seems reasonable, and I'd agree Latin America warrants more attention. Yet aside from the glib generalities, it's yet another example of the GOP's destitute foreign policy. He places an inordinate amount of attention on Cuba. And although Rubio fulminates about the recession of democracy, he conspicuously focuses only on states with leftist governments; admittedly, it's not a uniquely Republican practice to deplore the authoritarian tendencies of opponents while hypocritically ignoring your friends' deficiencies. Nevertheless, if our goal is to promote democracy, a smidgen of consistency would be cool. He also decries the lack of economic integration, although he has to dismiss Obama's effort on passing the Colombian and Panamanian trade agreements and work on the TPP. Further, while he devotes a few paragraphs to Cuba and Venezuela, he mentions Brazil only in passing as a member of a prospective multilateral energy alliance. First, it demonstrates their foreign policy is utterly warped; to focus on a bit player while ignoring a potential major power is laughable. Second, it's a relationship Obama has actually fostered with appreciable success. Sorry. I've noticed numerous pundits lauding his recent speech and op-ed. But neither is especially impressive.

Cuban vote pandering is one of the most pointless, wasteful aspects of American foreign policy. The irony is that if we had started ignoring Cuba in the Seventies it would already be a democratic vacation island. It is US pressure that has kept it a communist state and encouraged support from our enemies.

A lot of elederly Cubans and their kids in Florida have a stupid dream that they're going to get their land and holdings back. THEY ARE NOT. It sucks, but get over it. That ship has sailed.

There is a huge chance that Rubio's DREAM Act proposal will be backed by at least some immigration advocates and Democrats too.

http://nationaljournal.com/columns/political-connections/the-gop-s-hispanic-problem-20120426

Publicly, immigrant-rights groups generally argue that Rubio’s concept doesn’t go far enough because it lacks a guaranteed pathway to citizenship for the young people involved. But private conversations already under way suggest that Rubio’s concept could divide Democrats and attract significant support among immigration advocates, at least as a starting point for discussion and perhaps even as the endpoint of an agreement. “If the concept as he has laid it out is translated into decent legislation and he brings Republican support to the table, it’s a game changer,” said Frank Sharry, executive director of the pro-immigration reform group America’s Voice.

Democrats will have to tread this carefully. On, one hand it doesn't go far enough...that is true. On another hand, if the proposal is backed by Romney and some other Republicans (pandering as it may be), it will be seen as a good first step for immigration reform.

Romney is 99% sure to back it. Not having seen the final proposal, I would think, Democrats should back it and call of changes they would like to see in it.

Jackson50

Cuban vote pandering is one of the most pointless, wasteful aspects of American foreign policy. The irony is that if we had started ignoring Cuba in the Seventies it would already be a democratic vacation island. It is US pressure that has kept it a communist state and encouraged support from our enemies.

A lot of elederly Cubans and their kids in Florida have a stupid dream that they're going to get their land and holdings back. THEY ARE NOT. It sucks, but get over it. That ship has sailed.
Totally. You're preaching to the choir. A few years ago when Obama was implementing a few promising reforms and the issue drew my ire, I nearly spammed the thread with posts on Cuba. It encapsulates every negative aspect of our foreign policy.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The crazy is going to intensify when they lose, so, yeah, I don't see them shifting their message any time soon with how much their base HATES liberals, Dems, and Obama. Depending on how trends go, I'd argue we won't see another Republican president till...2020 or 2024.

One can only hope.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is a huge chance that Rubio's DREAM Act proposal will be backed by at least some immigration advocates and Democrats too.

http://nationaljournal.com/columns/political-connections/the-gop-s-hispanic-problem-20120426

Democrats will have to tread this carefully. On, one hand it doesn't go far enough...that is true. On another hand, if the proposal is backed by Romney and some other Republicans (pandering as it may be), it will be seen as a good first step for immigration reform.

Romney is 99% sure to back it. Not having seen the final proposal, I would think, Democrats should back it and call of changes they would like to see in it.

I'm not sure the DEMs should run behind this one imo.

RDreamer

lol Paul Ryan

“The reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand.”

“You know you’ve arrived in politics when you have an urban legend about you, and this one is mine,” chuckles Representative Paul Ryan, the Budget Committee chairman, as we discuss his purported obsession with author and philosopher Ayn Rand.”

“I give out ‘Atlas Shrugged’ as Christmas presents, and I make all my interns read it. Well… I try to make my interns read it.”

“Ayn Rand, more than anybody else, did a fantastic job explaining the morality of capitalism, the morality of individualism, and that, to me, is what matters most.”

“I reject her philosophy…. It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. “

Maybe he would pair well with Mitt. He seems to be practicing his flipping and flopping.

kehs

Banned

Rubio's stance comes off way too xenophobic, I'm hoping not too many dems latch on to it simply because it's "something".

The house GOP passed their version of the Student Loan Bill

Their version of the bill is "paid for" *eyeroll* by eliminating a public health fund created by the Affordable Care Act... It's a fund that helps women with screenings for breast and cervical cancer.

So, a portion of the GP votes against the Violence Against Women Act and now this? Are they really trying to keep the label going?

What in the world...

RDreamer

Chichikov

Their version of the bill is "paid for" *eyeroll* by eliminating a public health fund created by the Affordable Care Act... It's a fund that helps women with screenings for breast and cervical cancer.

So, a portion of the GOP votes against the Violence Against Women Act and now this? Are they really trying to keep the label going?

And John Boehner is pissed about it being labeled a War on Women thing, still
So it's going to be poison pill legislation from here to the election.
Yeah, that seems like a reasonable way to run a country.

Wilsongt

So, a portion of the GOP votes against the Violence Against Women Act and now this? Are they really trying to keep the label going?

Well, it's not like the healthcare act is going to be around much longer anyway. =P

On a more serious note, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

markatisu

Wow.....just ummm Wow

Nothing would be more entertaining than obama winning AZ. What a slap in the face to all the crazy racist/borderline racist assholes like arpaio and gov jan brewer. The tea party will explode into a mess. Hopefully it wont give rise to santorum-like ultra conservative movement.

I cringe every time I see this woman. It amazes me that she's the governor of something other than herself.

GhaleonEB

GOP is officially in self-parody mode.

Stuff like this makes me wonder why the Democrats have officially said they don't want to use the term "War on Women" anymore.

I understand that they don't want to go for the aggressive, over the top, nasty attacks and talking points of the GOP to avoid being seen as just as bad.

But a "War on Women" isn't even that hyperbolic. The last months the amount of action taken by the GOP that gives women the middle finger is astonishing.

I don't even understand how and why this trend comes to exist. Did some high ranking GOPers decide that their next target to divide and conquer is women this election, instead of the gays? Or is it because someone like Santorum puts women rights on the map, and all other idiot GOPers feel like they have to follow suit to be credible? Either way, the GOP is just a cesspool of vile human beings. Good god.

RDreamer

I just don't get why they would chose to do these things. I mean when you're down that much in one demographic like that, just getting wailed on and accused of having a war on them, why would you not be extra careful? Why would you not pander at least a little bit? This is politics. Why are the Republicans failing at politicking. For fuck's sake, they couldn't have found anything else to "fund" that student loan extension that didn't have something to do with women? Did no one in the Republican party tell whoever wrote the bill that it may not be a good fucking idea right now. They couldn't have just sucked it up till election and let the Violence Against Women Act pass overwhelmingly or something? They had to oppose these things and call attention to them? Seriously what the fuck?

Snake

Stuff like this makes me wonder why the Democrats have officially said they don't want to use the term "War on Women" anymore.

I understand that they don't want to go for the aggressive, over the top, nasty attacks and talking points of the GOP to avoid being seen as just as bad.

But a "War on Women" isn't even that hyperbolic. The last months the amount of action taken by the GOP that gives women the middle finger is astonishing.

There was no moment where the Democratic Party officially abandoned this specific attack on the GOP. It was simply another occasion where one source said something and internet liberals rushed to say "another needless capitulation by the Dems."

You can safely bet that this issue and specific phrase will be seen more in the coming months.

Allard

Yeah that sounds about right, the majority of both are on the Democrats side so the best way to get yourself votes is to unite them under one attack LOL

And it won't work either. Most women want to see their sons/daughters educated with minimal debt to worry about, and most of the youth don't want to see a specific gender openly attacked with policy. It is a blatant disregard for the political reality they would have been best served to just passed the student loan without a fuss and not put a friggin target on their back for controversy. I mean its not like they actually care about the debt anyways.

There was no moment where the Democratic Party officially abandoned this specific attack on the GOP. It was simply another occasion where one source said something and internet liberals rushed to say "another needless capitulation by the Dems."

You can safely bet that this issue and specific phrase will be seen more in the coming months.

Ah, good. They better hammer home how the GOP is trying to shit on the rights of women (next to every other minority group out there, but that's pretty much a given).

I think dems should pass Rubio's DREAM Act; it's at least a starting point that can be built on. The House is not going to pass it, so it's win win.

After the way the one was forced out due to the party sucking, I doubt that

i just have a feeling the romney camp will just go full moderate with the vp pick with the real mainreason being the hard right wasnt gonna support him anyways and just aim down the middle. He's already etching and sketching to the centre anyways.

imagine Romney wanting to restart the whole moderate GOP presidential revolution we havent seen in a while, wow

I think dems should pass Rubio's DREAM Act; it's at least a starting point that can be built on. The House is not going to pass it, so it's win win.

i honestly think its dead both sides which is sad

I just don't get why they would chose to do these things. I mean when you're down that much in one demographic like that, just getting wailed on and accused of having a war on them, why would you not be extra careful? Why would you not pander at least a little bit? This is politics. Why are the Republicans failing at politicking. For fuck's sake, they couldn't have found anything else to "fund" that student loan extension that didn't have something to do with women? Did no one in the Republican party tell whoever wrote the bill that it may not be a good fucking idea right now. They couldn't have just sucked it up till election and let the Violence Against Women Act pass overwhelmingly or something? They had to oppose these things and call attention to them? Seriously what the fuck?

Yea, I'm having a hard time finding the political angle in attacking women. It's not like attacking a race or gays... it's women. Half the population... half the population nobody outright hates for religious or xenophobic reasons.

So uhh... who do they think they are going to score votes with? Further, no company is going to want to hitch themselves to a politician who is cutting half their market away.

Are there advocacy groups supporting Rubio's plan? I might be thinking too highly of the dems, but I don't see them going along with a dead end immigration policy.

Behind the scenes, it looks like immigrant groups will voice support for it.

Plus, as soon as Obama says, it's a GO, GOP anti-immigrant voices will be all over Media and the bill would be obstructed to no end.

Behind the scenes, it looks like immigrant groups will voice support for it.

Plus, as soon as Obama says, it's a GO, GOP anti-immigrant voices will be all over Media and the bill would be obstructed to no end.

Which is why Obama should come out and say "while the bill does not go nearly as far as I'd like, it seems like a sensible compromise that can pass and be a building block to more comprehensive change." Bam. There's no way it would pass the House after that

Which is why Obama should come out and say "while the bill does not go nearly as far as I'd like, it seems like a sensible compromise that can pass and be a building block to more comprehensive change." Bam. There's no way it would pass the House after that

Wait...we agree?

Damn...what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom