• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

That was so good. It's just insane how a Dem president is taking to school a GOP candidate in foreign policy and military.

A fucking Onion world indeed.

That's one of the sea changes in this election. Dems - Obama in particular - are playing hardball on foreign policy. I can't recall this dynamic in my lifetime.

That's one of the sea changes in this election. Dems - Obama in particular - are playing hardball on foreign policy. I can't recall this dynamic in my lifetime.
I view Obama's foreign policy to be a roaring success. People can whine about the domestic economy being not so hot but in foreign policy he has done GREAT.
-Ended Iraq war w/o melt-down in Iraq
-Supported Libya rebellion with very little money and toppled perennial USA thorn Ghadaffi.
-Killed Bin Laden in daring raid into Afghanistan
-Got international support for harsh sanctions on Iran
-Killing pirates & rescuing hostages from Somalia

These parts are a push:
-North Korea still isolated whack-jobs
-Afghan war remains pointless
-Israel/Palestine ignored

The irony of Bill Clinton talking about making the call to get Bin Laden is so thick, I'm drowning in it.

I think he is an interesting choice. He is a guy who made a call to shoot cruise missiles trying to kill Bin Laden but he wasn't there and then he got criticized for "trying to wag the dog" and distract things from is Monica scandal.

Second poll of ND-SEN out this cycle. Much like the first, Heidi Heitkamp leads by five points, 49-44.

If this is a Democratic hold, no way the GOP wins the Senate.

Clevinger

Just read a Christian Science article that implies it's unfair to use Mitt Romney's 2008 words against him in 2012 about Bin Laden. Even though he might have gotten elected in 08 and followed through on not doing anything in Pakistan, and thinking Bin Laden is not incredibly important, and, uh, not getting Bin Laden, which is the whole point of the ad. This is without getting into how stupid it is to think it's unfair to hold someone accountable for what they said a handful of years ago in another election.

This is going to be a long election.

I view Obama's foreign policy to be a roaring success. People can whine about the domestic economy being not so hot but in foreign policy he has done GREAT.
-Ended Iraq war w/o melt-down in Iraq
-Supported Libya rebellion with very little money and toppled perennial USA thorn Ghadaffi.
-Killed Bin Laden in daring raid into Afghanistan
-Got international support for harsh sanctions on Iran
-Killing pirates & rescuing hostages from Somalia

These parts are a push:
-North Korea still isolated whack-jobs
-Afghan war remains pointless
-Israel/Palestine ignored
Iraq is not in good shape right now, and certainly looks as if it's trending in a worse direction, not a better one, so I'd be cautious about meltdown declarations in either direction.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
#borrowmoneyfromyourparents is trending on twitter in the US.

Here is what is behind it:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/the-best-of-romneyrestaurantowners

There is SOO much wrong with the speech and hypocritical,

From the military part, to borrowing money from your parents.
From a person who draft dodged converting people to Mormonism, and from a guy with rich parents. He is so incredibly tone death and unrelateable whenever he goes off script.

Ask yourself, how many people do you know that could just lend you 20k?

GhaleonEB

From a person who draft dodged converting people to Mormonism, and from a guy with rich parents. He is so incredibly tone death and unrelateable whenever he goes off script.

RIP tone

Obama on Ledbetter Act: I Won’t Have To ‘Get Back To You’

President Obama made a not-so-subtle dig at Mitt Romney on Friday, and his campaign’s inability to immediately articulate the candidate’s stance on the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act when asked about it on a conference call earlier this month. “We’ll get back to you on that,” Romney Campaign Policy Director Lanhee Chen told a reporter when asked about Romney’s position.

Obama was speaking to the Women’s Leadership Forum in Washington, D.C. Friday afternoon, and told the audience:

And as long as I’m president, we are going to keep moving forward. You can count on that. You don’t have to take my word on it – you’ve got my signature on it. Because something like standing up for the principle of equal pay for equal work isn’t something I’m going to have to “get back to you on” – it’s the first law I signed
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/obama-on-ledbetter-act-i-wont-have-to

wow at Obama and co really letting their balls hang out this week

The middle class is eroding while the rich get richer and Romney's plan is to have young people borrow money from their parents? This guy has no idea how to connect to average Americans. His examples of the restaurant business couldn't be worse either seeing as restaurants are the most likely businesses to go under.

Second poll of ND-SEN out this cycle. Much like the first, Heidi Heitkamp leads by five points, 49-44.

If this is a Democratic hold, no way the GOP wins the Senate.

Pretty crazy if true.

My eyes are set on Indiana where the Tea Party candidate might upset Lugar. A poll a month ago has Lugar crushing the Dem by double digits but the Tea Partier is tied. If the Dems win that one, add Maine, Mass and Nevada they could still lose Mizzou, Nebraska and even SD and still gain a seat!!!!

Miletius

The girl in pink's reaction when he pulls out Papa is funny.

Averon

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/us-gdp-growth-slows

U.S. GDP Growth Slows
The U.S. economy slowed its rate of growth in the first three months of the year, the Wall Street Journal reports:

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of all the goods and services produced in an economy, grew at an inflation-adjusted annual rate of 2.2% in the first quarter of 2012, the Commerce Department said Friday. It was the agency’s first reading of growth for the quarter.

My eyes are set on Indiana where the Tea Party candidate might upset Lugar. A poll a month ago has Lugar crushing the Dem by double digits but the Tea Partier is tied. If the Dems win that one, add Maine, Mass and Nevada they could still lose Mizzou, Nebraska and even SD and still gain a seat!!!!
Good thing to keep your eye on. I don't know if Mourdock would lose to Donnelly, as we would have the governor's race and the presidential race and things have taken a big turn in Indiana since 2008. But I think it might depress some Republican voters and definitely turn off independents compared to Lugar.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What the hairy fuck is Romney talking about? Seriously! Is he trying to say that Obama doesn't welcome and celebrate Americans starting their own companies?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What the hairy fuck is Romney talking about? Seriously! Is he trying to say that Obama doesn't welcome and celebrate Americans starting their own companies?

You know he is a communist right? Don't you watch TV? He wants the state to own all businesses.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I just don't get why they would chose to do these things. I mean when you're down that much in one demographic like that, just getting wailed on and accused of having a war on them, why would you not be extra careful? Why would you not pander at least a little bit? This is politics. Why are the Republicans failing at politicking. For fuck's sake, they couldn't have found anything else to "fund" that student loan extension that didn't have something to do with women? Did no one in the Republican party tell whoever wrote the bill that it may not be a good fucking idea right now. They couldn't have just sucked it up till election and let the Violence Against Women Act pass overwhelmingly or something? They had to oppose these things and call attention to them? Seriously what the fuck?
I can only imagine the decline these past 4 years has left nothing but Grade A morons to run the party. The smart ones either left or were forced out for trying to put forward sensible strategy.

It's kind of playing out like how I'd imagine the slow death of a political party would. They'll eventually figure it out, but the train is still in freefall since running off the proverbial cliff after Obama was elected.

I just wish more conservatives were like AlteredBeast and realized what their party has become.

I think he is an interesting choice. He is a guy who made a call to shoot cruise missiles trying to kill Bin Laden but he wasn't there and then he got criticized for "trying to wag the dog" and distract things from is Monica scandal.

Clinton said he didn't want whatever country to which I forget to transfer OBL to the U.S., because he thought there wasn't enough evidence to convict OBL. Unless whatever I read was a lie from the right. This was eons ago.

KingK

Damn . . . that "Would Romney have killed Bin Laden?" ad is some bare-knuckles politics.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/romney-not-killed-bin-laden-implies-obama-campaign-144436931.html

goddamn. Democrats attacking Republicans for being weak on foreign policy. What a world we live in lol.

Good thing to keep your eye on. I don't know if Mourdock would lose to Donnelly, as we would have the governor's race and the presidential race and things have taken a big turn in Indiana since 2008. But I think it might depress some Republican voters and definitely turn off independents compared to Lugar.

Yeah, Donnely has zero chance against Lugar, but I think he might be able to beat Mourdock if her were to somehow beat Lugar in the primaries. Donnely was my representative, and he's a blue dog so he could appeal to a lot of the conservative leaning independents that would be turned off by Mourdock and would have voted for Lugar. Still, I think any Republican candidate would have a significant edge in Indiana this election. Plus Donnely voted for Obamacare so that may sink him in the end, unfortunately.

KingK

LOL and you were doing so well this week

That ad is just sad, not sure how people are supposed to be enraged at Obama when all that does is show how bad government as a whole is

Showing how bad government as a whole is is, like, the founding pillar of the Republican party.

John McCain and republicans concern trolling over the Bin Laden ad is hilarious. As if this didn't happen

RTX8F3I.jpg

(RNC 08)

Republicans spent a decade exploiting 911 but didn't get Bin Laden. Now they're crying the other guy is trumpeting the success? Deal with it

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yea, I'm having a hard time finding the political angle in attacking women. It's not like attacking a race or gays... it's women. Half the population... half the population nobody outright hates for religious or xenophobic reasons.

So uhh... who do they think they are going to score votes with? Further, no company is going to want to hitch themselves to a politician who is cutting half their market away.

I just don't get why they would chose to do these things. I mean when you're down that much in one demographic like that, just getting wailed on and accused of having a war on them, why would you not be extra careful? Why would you not pander at least a little bit? This is politics. Why are the Republicans failing at politicking. For fuck's sake, they couldn't have found anything else to "fund" that student loan extension that didn't have something to do with women? Did no one in the Republican party tell whoever wrote the bill that it may not be a good fucking idea right now. They couldn't have just sucked it up till election and let the Violence Against Women Act pass overwhelmingly or something? They had to oppose these things and call attention to them? Seriously what the fuck?

There was this really good article from Charlie Pierce the other day (which I can't find, sadly) where he provides a possible explanation for the rationale. And the gist of it is that while Republicans want to win elections, ideological purity still reigns supreme. The important thing is to send a message, and so the they're willing to take some temporary hits, if it means making sure that the Republican party as a whole keeps moving further to the right.

It's the same reason why those fuckheads at Freedomworks were gloating at the Utah Senate elections, despite their primary challenger to Orrin Hatch not being able to oust him. Because in both situations, the right gets a much, much more right wing senator out of it.

The irony of Bill Clinton talking about making the call to get Bin Laden is so thick, I'm drowning in it.

Why is this?

Snake

The second half of his quote is priceless. Fearmongering and reality-distortion far more offensive than anything Obama could say about the Bin Laden decision. Oh, and the President's foreign policy record is abysmal... because he didn't start 4 more wars.

Thanks for reminding us how glad we should be that we didn't elect you, Senator McCain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom