• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poligaf episode 2010: The Empire Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary Whitta said:
The fickle see-saw nature of the US electorate kinda depresses me. Do people really have such short memories to not remember how desperate we were to get Republicans out of office just 2 years ago after 8 years of totally shit government?

Democrats have controlled most of the government for more than 2 years now.

It's the presidency that has been a 2 year thing. And we're not voting on that right now.

BigSicily said:
This bullshit marxism crap is annoying: maybe by definition but in 2010 because of the capitalists... blah, blah...

Your entire world has been shaped by the free-market and 'wealth making wealth:' Intel and Apple were started by venture capitalism, Amgen and Genzyme, Google and Youtube, etc. The computer you're on, the internet, eating food harvested half way around the world 3 days ago; most every American luxery owes it's genesis to the free-market.

sure but free markets fails when it deals with natural monopolies.

Extollere said:
blah.. I registered to vote a while back, called and checked with my county and they said I was on file and good to go. Got to the polls today and they couldn't find my name so they gave me a provisional ballot. Told me that my vote would be counted "a few days later". I've never voted this way before. Does this mean my vote only counts if there is a close call? I know they don't wait to decide the outcome.

Every vote counts, but because it gets counted later, the result might be obvious before they even get to your.

So if there are 5,000 provisional votes, but X is winning by 7,000, then the provisionals dont really matter in that race. But they get counted anyway because youre voting for lots of things, not just one guy.

In 2008, a race took like 4 months to be counted because it was so close, and american election officials are incompetent.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
vas_a_morir said:
My opponent's first name is doctor... like, Lawyer Milloy, or is he implying that a man who has earned a PhD is not worth voting for because he has better education than his opponent. Tell me that's not the case.

I think it was because Dr. Robert Bentley (the Republican who is a medical doctor) wanted his name listed on the ballot as just that. Sparks was trying to appeal to the "common man," I suppose, by emphasizing their common lack of education? Fuck if I know. The state's fucked, man. :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Gaborn said:
Maybe it's just me, but I think everyone legally able to vote should vote no matter who they want to vote for, and it's pretty unusual to me for a sitting vice president to call on a segment of americans NOT to vote.
How dare he not give them the vocal option of voting Democratic, too. I'm hoping the USCCR decides to investigate this matter to their utmost ability. We can't have these harmless, out-of-context quotes be used to suppress the opposition party!

Pctx said:
Everyone knows (and if they don't, they're not paying attention) that private insurance works without the need of government taking it over.
Oh it "works". That is, if you consider "works" to be getting worse outcomes while paying more than every other modern industrialized country in the world.

Our healthcare system has been shit by OBJECTIVE measures compared to other countries. Why not do the fiscally responsible thing and change it?

Gaborn

scorcho said:
How dare he not give them the vocal option of voting Democratic, too. I'm hoping the USCCR decides to investigate this matter to their utmost ability. We can't have these harmless, out-of-context quotes be used to suppress the opposition party!

I suppose you've gotta be smarmy as long as you can.

Pctx

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Please do tell:

1) How was this a government take over of health care
2) How has private insurance been working for those who have their premiums increase by 25-40%
3) How does private insurance work for those who are having their coverage canceled when they get sick? When their lifetime and annual limits run out when they get cancer?
4) How does private insurance work for those who cannot afford it?
5) How does private insurance work when the insurance companies are only required to spend 45c on the dollar for actual care?

So please tell me, how does private insurance work?

1.) How isn't it a take over? You pay a tax if you don't get a plan. Explain that to me.
2.) It has worked but did I say it was perfect? No. There are ways to innovate ways to bring down the costs including getting more varieties of medicines outside of the US, better education on preventative care, etc. The reason premiums go up is because no one dictates how much the insurance companies can charge. One way of changing that is by changing the marketplace.
3.) This is something that I think needs to be looked at more closely. The sweeping pre-existing condition exception I think goes to far but again, that's just my opinion.
4.) Back to #1, you have the government penalizing people by not having insurance? Which is worse? (read that as lesser of the two evils?)
5.) Medicare/Medicade. Again, not perfect, needs to be fixed but this health care bill doesn't "fix" the right things.

mre said:
I think it was because Dr. Robert Bentley (the Republican who is a medical doctor) wanted his name listed on the ballot as just that. Sparks was trying to appeal to the "common man," I suppose, by emphasizing their common lack of education? Fuck if I know. The state's fucked, man. :lol

Yeah, you know what? Ron Paul. The South and Appalachia have a similar, but profoundly different stupidity. Really, the South East is a melting-pot of stupid.

Like, Kentucky is not a geographically South state. Didn't even legitimately secede from the Union. Yet, Kentucky is considered Southern because it is "culturally south." What does that mean? Well, I think it means we just plain don't like black people.

Gaborn

06:51 PM LUNTZ CALLS IT FOR REID: GOP polling guru Frank Luntz is predicting Republicans will win seven Senate seats and 50 House spots, based on exit polls he had seen. On a conference call with associates from K Street, Luntz also said he thinks Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid will win reelection.

via politico

Trurl

Banned
mre said:
Ah. Honestly, it doesn't sound quite as bad when you put it in that context. Not that I've put much thought into it, but I don't people should be listed as "Dr." on ballots.

It's still shameful if Sparks is using his own education as away to drum up populist support, though.

ToxicAdam

Gaborn said:

Trust Luntz

Kentucky – Republican Rand Paul wins the Senate race.
Florida – Republican Marco Rubio wins the Senate seat by a landslide.
West Virginia – Democratic Gov. Joe Manchin wins the Senate race.
Connecticut – Democrat Richard Blumenthal wins the Senate race.
Illinois – Republican Mark Kirk wins his bid for Senate.
Missouri – Republican Roy Blunt wins the Senate seat.
Pennsylvania – Republican Pat Toomey wins the Senate seat.
Colorado – Too close to call.
Wisconsin – Close, but Republican Ron Johnson wins the Senate seat.
California – Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer wins re-election, former Gov. Jerry Brown wins the governorship
Washington – Democratic Sen. Patty Murray wins reelection.
Ohio – Close, but Republican John Kasich wins the governorship.
Nevada – Sen. Harry Reid wins reelection.
Michigan – Republican Rick Snyder wins governorship

Pctx said:
1.) How isn't it a take over? You pay a tax if you don't get a plan. Explain that to me..

a tax penalty is not the same thing as a takeover. Those who choose to buy houses pay less tax than those who continue to rent. Those who choose to have children pay less tax than those with no dependents.

is there a government takeover of the housing market and childbirth?

leroidys

Pctx said:
Everyone knows (and if they don't, they're not paying attention) that private insurance works without the need of government taking it over. Having friends on both sides of the isle they absolutely hate what is coming. From the health insurance side, you've got rising costs (more so than years past) and health care providers are going to get punched in the gut on how they bill because of the newer regulations on what is and what isn't acceptable.

Meanwhile, you've got Joe Schmo paying more, companies paying more because we, being the hive collective that this government wants, are spreading the risk of everyone with pre-existing conditions and everything else that comes with Miss Pelosi's wet dream of a joke.

As with most things, this house, senate and overall joke of a presidency has thrown personal responsibility under the bus and are trying to protect us from ourselves of which that was never the role of the government.

This is Anihawk level masterful trolling.

scorcho

Pctx said:
I swear he must have held guns to people's heads to vote for him.
Damn, something else the USCCR needs to investigate.

To think, there's a chance that a fundamentalist dimwit might not win against an established politician who has brought in hundreds of millions into his state.

Everyone knows (and if they don't, they're not paying attention) that private insurance works without the need of government taking it over.

What's with all of these people coming into the PoliGaf thread and posting some of the most asinine comments in awhile?

Pctx

Banned
Manmademan said:
a tax penalty is not the same thing as a takeover. Those who choose to buy houses pay less tax than those who continue to rent. Those who choose to have children pay less tax than those with no dependents.

is there a government takeover of the housing market and childbirth?

Fine line in which Uncle Obama offers a cheaper plan (subsidized at my expense) in which private insurers cannot compete. Those with children always pay less, hence the tax breaks.

To your second question, sounds like you might want to wear some tinfoil when walking around.

scorcho

Jason's Ultimatum said:
What's with all of these people coming into the PoliGaf thread and posting some of the most asinine comments in awhile?
You're just being bitter. Don't let the Police catch you.

Gaborn

06:57 PM CALL FOR BACKUP: Bridgeport, a key Democratic stronghold in Connecticut, ran out of ballots at some precincts today; photocopied ballots were rushed out, but some people left polling places without voting. "We counted 47 voters that were turned away and just left," a state representative told a paper.

Politico again.

Ouch

Pctx said:
1.) How isn't it a take over? You pay a tax if you don't get a plan. Explain that to me.
2.) It has worked but did I say it was perfect? No. There are ways to innovate ways to bring down the costs including getting more varieties of medicines outside of the US, better education on preventative care, etc. The reason premiums go up is because no one dictates how much the insurance companies can charge. One way of changing that is by changing the marketplace.
3.) This is something that I think needs to be looked at more closely. The sweeping pre-existing condition exception I think goes to far but again, that's just my opinion.
4.) Back to #1, you have the government penalizing people by not having insurance? Which is worse? (read that as lesser of the two evils?)
5.) Medicare/Medicade. Again, not perfect, needs to be fixed but this health care bill doesn't "fix" the right things.

1. If you can't afford a plan due to unemployment, low income, you won't be responsible for paying a fee. For those who can afford the fee and still don't want to get insurance, too bad. I don't want to pay for someone who get ill and refused to have insurance so that the rest of us are left to pay for them.
2. How can preventive care help those who get cancer? Heart disease that is genetically connected? Someone breaks their hand from falling? Preventative education and more variety of medicine won't change the market place for the vast majority of individuals who file for bankruptcy due to health insurance fees.
3. You say the exception goes too far and that it needs to be look at more closely? Give me some ideas that you have? Insurance providers WILL NOT stop rejecting people for pre-existing conditions without the government competing or regulating. Won't happen. Sorry.
4. Having to pay a fee in the hundreds of dollars (if you can afford it again) is quite different than not being able to pay for an office visit that left you with a 2,3, $10,000 bill.
5. How do you fix medicare/medicaid?

Bishman

threenote said:
these early exit polls are fucking depressing. Fuck.

10 Reasons to Ignore Exit Polls

So, in just a few minutes, somebody like Matt Drudge is going to leak details from the first wave of exit polling.

Whatever these polls say, you should mostly ignore them; early exit polls are not intended to be taken at face value and can even be rather misleading. Here are 10 other reasons to ignore them.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
It is being like a stock message board when the earnings report is released. Lots of drive-by trolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom