• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT-12| Welcome To The Mad House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

gaga could've been a legend but her hip. and now here we are.
Gaga will become a legend for her ventures outside of music. She's the most acclaimed actress out of all the other acting attempts of her peers. EGOT-potential chanteuse. But it will take her a lot of time. I think it is really great that people are finally recognizing how much talent she has as a vocalist though.

Praying that LG5 will be better than ARTPOP.

Gaga will become a legend for her ventures outside of music. She's the most acclaimed actress out of all the other acting attempts of her peers. EGOT-potential chanteuse. But it will take her a lot of time. I think it is really great that people are finally recognizing how much talent she has as a vocalist though.

here's hoping tbh. she's already an icon, so not much further to go!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Has pillow talk stayed top 10 all this time?
quite surprised at the longevity tbh

*praying LG5 actually exists.

cory64

Eui9OSG.png

Meowster

*praying LG5 actually exists.
Bey and Rih are out of the way, Adéle Dion is over, and Taylor won't be releasing for at least a year. She better hope and pray Katheryn doesn't find out her release date and announce it the week before this time around. Though I don't know how Katy will do without Dr. Luke this time around, feel like it could go either way. At least we won't be getting Firework 3.0 this time.

From Gaga, I want something that's.. Idk viby. Like she's done dark, she's done power pop, she's done jazz but I want something more chill... Something sexy and I feel like she can deliver. Contrary to most, I liked ArtPop and it still has regular spins for me. I'm still shocked at how much people hate it :(

cory64

that janet jackson pic is so funny in light of the superbowel performance lmao

Ironically she was actually the least controversial of the major pop stars in 1993. Well second least next to Mariah.

Madonna had the Sex book.
Prince changed his name and started dragging WB Records.
MJ had that going on

3phemeral

From Gaga, I want something that's.. Idk viby. Like she's done dark, she's done power pop, she's done jazz but I want something more chill... Something sexy and I feel like she can deliver. Contrary to most, I liked ArtPop and it still has regular spins for me. I'm still shocked at how much people hate it :(

I agree. Sexxx Dreams is right up this ally but Artpop's polished rendition of it made it both worse and better in some respects. She needs a damn good editor to keep her good ideas and toss the bad ones.

Meowster

I don't hate it, I just find it severely underwhelming because of how great a lot of the songs sound live. I guess that is more DJWS's fault than her own. Jewels N Drugs an Donatella are genuinely terrible though. But Fashion!, Do What U Want, Artpop, and Applause are all amazing. She's working with some major talent this time around (Nile Rodgers is supposedly the main producer, Diane Warren and Elton John are helping her pen tracks, she's working with Giorgio Moroder). I just hope it all comes together and is cohesive. That was APs major flaw.

Nasser

image.php

Edit: crying at the fact that Bey used gaga and is now more relevant than her, she dropped gaga quicker than that fake stomach she had on all of 2011 😂

Meowster

This has been one amazing week for music. Beyoncé releases her "Like A Prayer," everyone has discovered that Prince has the best music out of the legend trinity (Prince, Janet Jackson's brother, and Madonna), and Lady Gaga/Lana Del Rey/and Lykke Li are now best friends.

Aguila

#ICONIC
As ubiquitous as Rihanna is it's interesting to me how Beyonce gets a specific type of treatment. She gets a certain level of respect that none of the other major pop acts seem to receive. It's like she's the only contemporary who declaratively decides to shift our culture and everyone's on board with it. A pop hater may still call Rihanna a "guilty pleasure" in 2016 but they'd openly profess admiration for Bey. There's a big difference there.
It's because Bey has consistently produced great music, can perform and dance, and can sang. What does Rhat have? What would people gloat about her irl? Her nipples?

Meowster

ANTi is really good but it is noticeable to me how half-baked a lot of the tracks are lyrically. But it is her first attempt at making a solid collection of music and she did a good job all things considering. I still wish Bitch Better Have My Money was on the album though, would have fit perfectly.

Floridian

It's because Bey has consistently produced great music, can perform and dance, and can sang. What does Rhat have? What would people gloat about her irl? Her nipples?

Maybe, just maybe Rihanna offers great music too. Hmmmm.... Also, the fact that she can make a lot of songs hits with her distinct voice/tone.

She's not a hot 100 legend for no reason.

MANUELF

Banned
Billboard top 10
1. Desiigner - Panda
2. Lukas Graham - 7 Years
3. Drake ft Wizkid,Kyla - One Dance
4. Rihanna ft Drake - Work
5. Mike Posner - I Took a Pill in Ibiza
6. Fifth Harmony - Work From Home
7. Meghan Trainor - NO
8. Zayn - Pillowtalk
9. Justin Bieber - Love Yourself
10. G-Eazy ft Bebe Rehxa - Me, Myself & I

Rih is over!!!@!
what a drop, Panda is the one to beat now

I agree. Sexxx Dreams is right up this ally but Artpop's polished rendition of it made it both worse and better in some respects. She needs a damn good editor to keep her good ideas and toss the bad ones.

She consistently has great ideas and the added luggage she piles on to them either elevate or destroy the whole song. Sexxx Dreams was so sexy and lush before she added the ad libs in the chorus, honestly I feel like that ruined the song. ARTPOP (song) somehow avoided the over-editing, though I think she went too far with it and made it almost a non-starter.

I feel like RedOne was good at keeping the song's vibe at the forefront. DJWS is too in sync with Gaga's mindset of "more is more." I'm just curious about how much she's learned since 2012-2013.

She consistently has great ideas and the added luggage she piles on to them either elevate or destroy the whole song. Sexxx Dreams was so sexy and lush before she added the ad libs in the chorus, honestly I feel like that ruined the song. ARTPOP (song) somehow avoided the over-editing, though I think she went too far with it and made it almost a non-starter.

I feel like RedOne was good at keeping the song's vibe at the forefront. DJWS is too in sync with Gaga's mindset of "more is more." I'm just curious about how much she's learned since 2012-2013.
DJWS gave us so many of her bops though. Government Hooker, Do What U Want, Applause...

but I agree ARTPOP felt too produced by the time it came out. Applause is the slickest I want my tracks. ARTPOP was overdone on the album compared to the live version, the Aura demo was way better, the Swine demo was much more powerful, etc.

Meowster

Digital sales predictions for next week:

1. Prince - Purple Rain 391,000
2. Prince - When Doves Cry 261,000
3. Beyoncé - Formation 246,000
4. Prince - Little Red Corvette 222,000
5. Prince - Let's Go Crazy 210,000
6. Prince - Kiss 189,000
7. Prince - 1999 187,000
8. Prince - Raspberry Beret 156,000
9. Beyoncé - Hold Up 145,000
10. Beyoncé - 6 Inch 132,000

The way Beyoncé is up there with the legends now. But I need Prince to block that Panda song. Y'all with the never ending TIDAL trials need to start streaming Purple Rain if you haven't yet.

3phemeral

I really think her thought process went like this:

TF: Relied on producers to help her fashion the kind of sound she wasn't accustomed to creating herself

TFM: Had a bit of creative control with those same producers: tightened direction/and cut out the fat

BTW: Picked the best of her collaborators and worked with them in a true collaborative sense, but went a teeny bit overboard in some respects

AP: Went insane on proving she could helm the ship by herself. Threw every idea at the album and didn't "proofread" it​

Most successful pop stars who have a strong team usually stick with them for several albums before branching off into their own and I think she jumped ahead way too quickly.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't like Sorry

Does anyone think Beyonce has a chance for a #1 hit this era? Or will that just never happen for ha?

nah
shes sending all the songs to radio so that will split the points

I don't think shes that bothered though
If she wanted it, she could have made the tracks album only sans one and only send that to radio and make it available on spotify or something

I really think her thought process went like this:

TF: Relied on producers to help her fashion the kind of sound she wasn't accustomed to creating herself

TFM: Had a bit of creative control with those same producers: tightened direction/and cut out the fat

BTW: Picked the best of her collaborators and worked with them in a true collaborative sense, but went a teeny bit overboard in some respects

AP: Went insane on proving she could helm the ship by herself. Threw every idea at the album and didn't "proofread" it​

Most successful pop stars who have a strong team usually stick with them for several albums before branching off into their own and I think she jumped ahead way too quickly.

Ha I agree. Given all the new collaborators this time around (Ronson, Morodor, Elton, Rogers) do you think she's on the right track or is she headed for more clutter?

Meowster

Ha I agree. Given all the new collaborators this time around (Ronson, Morodor, Elton, Rogers) do you think she's on the right track or is she headed for more clutter?
It'll be a great album, I think it will be her best. No clue how it'll do commercially though. She's gonna be going for a funk sound and might seem a bit late to the party with that.

cory64

I don't see the GP accepting a new Get Lucky/Uptown Funk from a woman but I'm sure it will be better than whatever trash Giggle was planning for Artpop pt. II

rhandino

Banned
Billboard top 10
1. Desiigner - Panda
2. Lukas Graham - 7 Years
3. Drake ft Wizkid,Kyla - One Dance
4. Rihanna ft Drake - Work
5. Mike Posner - I Took a Pill in Ibiza
6. Fifth Harmony - Work From Home
7. Meghan Trainor - NO
8. Zayn - Pillowtalk
9. Justin Bieber - Love Yourself