• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ July 2015: Rocket League, Styx, rain, Mousecraft, Geometry Wars 3, Entwined

schaft0620

Nothing for me this month yet again. How unfortunate.

You have to at least try Rocket League.

Seriously what the fuck are we paying for?

Yeah they should go back to the way thing where when we got nothing and liked it.

mafackars saved me $20 this week with Rocket League.

62r9a5V.gif

Only in the sense that people come out of the woodworks to staunchly defend Sony when other posters find the lineup disappointing.

Called me out? Lol...as if anyone else's comments are more or less important in a thread such as this. I'm free to say I feel disappointed with the games on offer.

YEt that still has nothing to do with coming in and posting one sentence, about you subbing.

Just as bad are people who come in and shit on games because they are not AAA big budget titles, they can't be good right? Works both ways. No one is defending Sony...people like these games, imagine that.

ironcreed

Banned
After hearing everyone speak so highly of Rocket League it's great I get to have it :) can't wait.

Yeah, I watched a video for it and it instantly reminded me of the kind of fun I used to have with games like Mutant Football League. That may seem like an odd comparison, but that is the sort of fun vibe I get from it. It's nice when a little game like this comes out of nowhere and lands in your lap.

Pejo

Gold Member
Awesome list, I've been hearing great things about Rocket League, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

Multiplayer.

It's why I pay. Gotta have my BF4 fix. Remove multiplayer from PS+ and these indie games will have to survive on their quality.

Yup. I wouldn't have PS+ if it wasn't for the multiplayer and party chat. Why would you buy XBL without those things? The games are just the cherry on top. No where near the real draw of the service.

Petrae

Every single time I think Plus can't get any worse, they manage to put together an even more boring list.

At some point I should really just let my sub run out.

It's been 5 months so far into my PS+ sub that I got with my PS4, and nothing has been impressive with the games that have been offered. I'm not at all convinced at this point to consider paying for a renewal, since the game rentals are the only thing that would make it worthwhile (I rarely play multiplayer). It's been a sea of disinterest.

bobawesome

YEt that still has nothing to do with coming in and posting one sentence, about you subbing.

Just as bad are people who come in and shit on games because they are not AAA big budget titles, they can't be good right? Works both ways. No one is defending Sony...people like these games, imagine that.

Sorry, Thread Overlord. I'll remember to consult you henceforth when I feel like giving an opinion.

EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif

Aru

I got my last subscription extension for 30$ and it essentially paid for itself thanks to the dozen of games I played and the huge sales. My sub ends in December, but I'm not sure about renewing at full price. Maybe if they make another 15 months for the price of 12, I might bite.

hohoXD123

Another disappointing month for me personally, though I'll try rocket league at least. I'll probably let my sub run out later this year, don't play multiplayer games that much anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
I have been underwhelmed by PS+ on PS4 as well, but I finally got a good month this time around. It's hard to please everyone.

VegiHam

Agree on Ass. Creed and Rayman, but they do have to try and appeal to mainstream tastes with PS+, and oddities like DanganRonpa are a bit niche in terms of appeal compared more generic shooter, puzzle, platform and racing games. Sure, we know they are great, but I'm not sure people outside of games forums are actually interested in them.

As for Persona, it's one of the best-selling games on the system. Why give away a game that the highest portion of your userbase has already got, when you can give away ones that practically nobody bought? I'm not saying I don't want great games or that a mix of high-budget and low-budget wouldn't be cool, but I do find it mystifying when people cling on for years waiting for a game to be in PS+ when it's been on sale several times. If anyone wanted to play it, they've had plenty of opportunity to buy it cheap.

I like being given the stuff like Mousecraft that I was never going to pay a tenner for. All the decent, big Vita games I'm interested in I probably have already.

I was just kind of throwing the first thing I could think of out there, I'm aware they aren't great suggestions. I bought Persona ages ago and it's amazing. Actually, it was cheaper because I had plus, and that aspect of plus is awesome. Bit I disagree on having to go for the mainstream. It's the Vita. Anyone still using it knows what they're dealing with, most probably wouldn't mind something weird and niche. Hell, a lot of what we get on PS+ now is weird and niche, it's just they really like the Binding of Issac and Luftrausers niches, and ignore other ones...

redcrayon

I was just kind of throwing the first thing I could think of out there, I'm aware they aren't great suggestions. I bought Persona ages ago and it's amazing. Actually, it was cheaper because I had plus, and that aspect of plus is awesome. Bit I disagree on having to go for the mainstream. It's the Vita. Anyone still using it knows what they're dealing with, most probably wouldn't mind something weird and niche. Hell, a lot of what we get on PS+ now is weird and niche, it's just they really like the Binding of Issac and Luftrausers niches, and ignore other ones...
Yeah, fair points.

I agree on the plus discounts- I buy a lot of stuff in the sales and it pretty much pays for itself as far as I'm concerned.

Happy about Geometry Wars 3, I bought it on my iPad, but it will probably play 100 times better with physical analog sticks. Still, the iOS version is nice when I don't have my gaming systems on me.

Walpurgis

Banned
Are you waiting for the Metacritic score before you make your verdict on it?
Since it is a multiplayer game, I might just try it.
So you just base your opinions off scores on an aggregate review site or have you actually played the games?
Using metacritic as a actual barometer of quality. Lol, come the fuck on.
post-38536-steve-harvey-wtf-face-gif-Imgu-lJjr.gif

I am glad that I don't put on blinders and base all of my decisions on a metacritic number. Not that games in the 70s are bad anyway.
I don't have the time to waste on bad games, these critics do. Metacritic's critic and user scores are a pretty easy way to determine what is worth my time. I also make use of comments on neogaf (obviously not in this thread). People acting like Metacritic is always wrong need to get a reality check. The games that get the most praise here and on other sites almost always have high metascores. Just look at the top 5 on PS4, GTA V, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Shovel Knight. These are easily neogaf's favourite games on PS4.
Metacritic should not be used to judge how good a game is.
If you've read the posts here about Styx, you'll learn it excels in gameplay, being closer to old school stealth games. So if you are interested in a stealth game that doesn't hold your hand, def. give it a try.

Seriously though, assuming you have unlimited bandwidth, download the games and try them for yourself, you never know if you'll end up liking them.
I still have PS+ games to play from the glory days. I was hoping this month I could add a game to the backlog, it doesn't look like that will be necessary.
I legit feel bad for you. Missing out on so many games because you're caught up in the Metacritic scores.
Such as?

I would really like to know what AAA games all the PS4 owners who think this month is bad wants. I almost think that if the name isn't familiar these people think "indie garbage"

ironcreed

Banned
I don't have the time to waste on bad games, these critics do. Metacritic's critic and user scores are a pretty easy way to determine what is worth my time. I also make use of comments on neogaf (obviously not in this thread). People acting like Metacritic is always wrong need to get a reality check. The games that get the most praise here and on other sites almost always have high metascores. Just look at the top 5 on PS4, GTA V, The Last of Us, The Witcher 3, Bloodborne and Shovel Knight. These are easily neogaf's favourite games on PS4.

Sorry, I prefer to decide for myself. I wish I had a dollar for every time I ended up liking something that the critics panned or gave an average score to. But hey, more power to you.

Every one of these threads seems to devolve into a pissing match between Games with Gold and PS+.

In terms of 'complimentary' games, the two aren't even comparable.

Games with Gold (Xbox One)
Number of games: 18 total - 2 retail, 16 digital
Average review score: 72
Total Value: $308.82

PS+ (PS4)
Number of games: 50 total - 2 retail, 48 digital
Average review score: 77
Total Value: $765.01

Not to mention that Games with Gold has had several multi-month titles like Crimson Dragon (3 months), Pool Nation FX (3 months), and Worms Battlegrounds (3 months) whereas PS+ hasn't had a multi-month offering since Resogun during the first 6 months of release - which, by the way, Games with Gold offered zero games during.

So get outta here with that BS that offering a 22 month old yearly franchise iteration somehow not only making up for having Pool Nation FX three months in a row, but also compensates for having 30 less games and $450 less worth of titles to the comparable service.

You just contributed to the pissing contest and proved that the two are literally comparable.

Brawl96

Fitting that rocket league is here, given the first one was free on plus and thats how people heard about it (me, at least). Though I really wish I could have paid for it. oh well. :/

MUnited83

For you.

I still have PS+ games to play from the glory days. I was hoping this month I could add a game to the backlog, it doesn't look like that will be necessary.

Such as?
Styx for example is one of the best stealth games made in the last few years. Got bad reviews because its a little bit janky and critics only want AAA handholding crap.

Geometry Wars is amazing and if you are honestly skipping on it because fucking Metacritic scores you have no hope whatsoever.

Walpurgis

Banned
Styx for example is one of the best stealth games made in the last few years. Got bad reviews because its a little bit janky and critics only want AAA handholding crap.

Geometry Wars is amazing and if you are honestly skipping on it because fucking Metacritic scores you have no hope whatsoever.
I didn't know Shovel Knight and Bloodborne were AAA handholding crap.

I'm not playing Geometry Wars because I don't like that style of game.

Such as?

So you can;t think for yourself...ok then. Critics are wrong..often. It's free nothing to lose by trying it.

First month since I started my subscription in March where I'm not all that happy. Rocket League seems to be mainly focused on multi-player, so I probably won't play it much. May be good if I have a friend over I suppose. I will check Styx out. The trailer looked like it could get boring fast, but I'll give it some go. Entwined intrigued me at E3 last year, so I'll give that a go. Mousecraft could be fun as well. It's a shame that Rain and Geometry Wars are not for PS4. Those two look really good and would have made me really happy.

I guess it's not all that bad in the end.

I'm really glad to hear that! I often find I disagree with reviewers on these lesser known games on +

MUnited83

For you.
I didn't know Shovel Knight and Bloodborne were AAA handholding crap.

I'm not playing Geometry Wars because I don't like that style of game.
Did I say Shovel Knight and Bloodborne were that? I'm saying critics would have Styx better scores if it conformed to AAA handholding design, and thats true.

I already wanted Rocket League and Geometry Wars, so this shall save me from buying them.

Good stuff Sony.

*insert obligatory Knack complaint or whatever*

I really enjoyed Styx, I think its a good choice. Don't know much about Rocket League or Mousecraft but i'll give them a try at some point.

Wow, people aren't excited for Rocket League? I kept seeing people anticipating it hitting this month's list, but I honestly didn't expect it to launch as a free title. That's kind of crazy. How are the devs compensated for a situation like that, where the game's only sales are now going to come from DLC and the Steam version?

Walpurgis

Banned
You've never liked a game that was poorly reviewed?

I have actually. I was surprised by Don't Starve's metascore because it is an incredibly well-made game but that is an exception. I would prefer if Sony didn't gamble with my money on games like Entwined because the reviewers might be wrong. Sure, we might get crap like GTA IV or Destiny but that would be an exception.

BokehKing

Banned
Are the people complaining about rocket League... Are they complaining because they did not like beta?

Game is addicting and fun

autoduelist

I have to think people are just having a laugh at this point, when they act like their 4 bucks a month or so (or far less!) is worth $100 worth of newish AAA games a month. We're getting 6 games a month. If even one of them is good, that's a great deal. Heck, you actually only need one really solid one every couple months to justify the entire thing, and the rest are 'bonus'.

Suzzopher

Sweet! I was going to buy Rocket League and Geometry Wars 3 on Vita anyway. I have rain and Entwined but two good games is a good month.

Top Bottom