• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 price was just announced in Argentina!

Holy crap...

So I checked the price for us here in Colombia, it's COP$1'300.000, that's roughly US$680 right now.

So I guess we somehow managed a "decent" price.

Still, I've never bought any of my consoles here, the PS4 won't be any different, whenever it is I decide to get one. Now I'm wondering the price for the Xbone.

K' Dash

A lot of the time these claims make no sense. Like Australians paying an excessive amount for their games: doesn't average income tend to be much higher in comparison to that of the states?

Also, the US market outshines every other country in terms of market size. The reason the US market doesn't have high prices for games is because our collective willingness to pay doesn't exceed $60. Somewhere in these companies, there are mathmeticians running statistics which show that a $5-10 increase in price for games would result in a loss in net revenue from the consumers who wouldn't pay for the price increase. In other countries, your small market has a smaller impact, so they're able to price gouge all they want, because they know you'll pay it because you have no other choice.

You want things to change, speak with your wallet. Although, that would require a large amount of people to do so, otherwise you're just one person who doesn't have a system or game, which means practically nothing to the publishers.

tumblr_m8oiwual321qfhkjzo1_500.jpg

if you're going to write, make sure you know the situation, you can NOT compare latin america's economy with Australia's economy, your post is so stupid that I'm embarrased just reading it.

On Topic:

The official price here in Costa Rica is ¢335.000 that's a little bit more than $670, I got to preorder it for $600, I guess we were lucky, Panama's official price is $500, even better, lucky bastards :p

GunBR

Holy crap...

So I checked the price for us here in Colombia, it's COP$1'300.000, that's roughly US$680 right now.

So I guess we somehow managed a "decent" price.

Still, I've never bought any of my consoles here, the PS4 won't be any different, whenever it is I decide to get one. Now I'm wondering the price for the Xbone.

How much it's the PS3 there?
Looks like Argentina it's the only place with the terrible price.
US$ 680 it's almost impossible here in Brazil, but still dreaming with 780

Kerrinck

Wasn't Vita's official price R$1600 around here? Which is probably around 700$ with today's dollar.
I would love to see a fair price on the ps4 but I am pretty pessimistic when it comes to Brazil and console prices. .

Slixshot

Banned
tumblr_m8oiwual321qfhkjzo1_500.jpg

if you're going to write, make sure you know the situation, you can NOT compare latin america's economy with Australia's economy, your post is so stupid that I'm embarrased just reading it.

On Topic:

The official price here in Costa Rica is ¢335.000 that's a little bit more than $670, I got to preorder it for $600, I guess we were lucky, Panama's official price is $500, even better, lucky bastards :p

Maybe you misread my entire post but I didn't compare the Australian and Latin American economies. I implied that there's more to the situation than them charging an outrageous price for the system. In this case, as many have posted, the inflation in Latin America has resulted in a high price for the PS4.

As for the rest of my post: that had little to do with Latin America, specifically. I was merely pointing out how the market size in various countries impacts overall price of games and consoles.

Sorry you misunderstood.

A lot of the time these claims make no sense. Like Australians paying an excessive amount for their games: doesn't average income tend to be much higher in comparison to that of the states?

Also, the US market outshines every other country in terms of market size. The reason the US market doesn't have high prices for games is because our collective willingness to pay doesn't exceed $60. Somewhere in these companies, there are mathmeticians running statistics which show that a $5-10 increase in price for games would result in a loss in net revenue from the consumers who wouldn't pay for the price increase. In other countries, your small market has a smaller impact, so they're able to price gouge all they want, because they know you'll pay it because you have no other choice.

You want things to change, speak with your wallet. Although, that would require a large amount of people to do so, otherwise you're just one person who doesn't have a system or game, which means practically nothing to the publishers.

People speak with ther wallets tho, latin americans import their shit in the millions fromthe US, and when i say millions i mean millions, a lot of the sales in US are actually people buying to resell, gift, send them to latin america

Slixshot

Banned
People speak with ther wallets tho, latin americans import their shit in the millions fromthe US, and when i say millions i mean millions, a lot of the sales in US are actually people buying to resell, gift, send them to latin america

If this is the case, it merely doesn't bother the publishers enough to bother lowering the price. Simply continue importing for a cheaper price than what the market value is in your own country.

Sucks, but that's all I can really recommend.

Respawn

Banned
"SE ANUNCIA EL PRECIO DE PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) Y SU PRE-VENTA EN LA ARGENTINA

Qué: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) anuncia el comienzo de la preventa del sistema de entretenimiento PlayStation®4 (PS4™) en la Argentina. El precio de la PS4™en el país será de $6.499.- (pesos argentinos)."

So... yeah. 6500 pesos. That's roughly 1200 US Dollars.

Or, to put it in another way, that's about 25% over my current monthly salary.

I guess that's it for me as a gamer.

I wonder what it would cost in Jamaican?

K' Dash

Maybe you misread my entire post but I didn't compare the Australian and Latin American economies. I implied that there's more to the situation than them charging an outrageous price for the system. In this case, as many have posted, the inflation in Latin America has resulted in a high price for the PS4.

As for the rest of my post: that had little to do with Latin America, specifically. I was merely pointing out how the market size in various countries impacts overall price of games and consoles.

Sorry you misunderstood.

well, I'm sorry I got a little defensive with my reply to your post, anyway, the latin america situation with electronics is a very difficult one, high taxes and retailers trying to maximize profit, even if we don't buy the games or systems, they would just go bankrupt and the videogame market would shrink a lot more.

Now, here in Costa Rica there are midnight launch for some games, publicity and decent pricing on games, we're getting to the point where videogames are not a luxury item held by 1%, little by little but we're getting there.

Looking around, found 250GB PS3 + MGS Rising for COP$900.000, or US$460...

EDIT: There's another one with U2, KZ3, DUST and an extra DS3 for the same price, instead of Rising... That one's impressive... Looks like a sale.

Keihart

Wow man , that price sucks.

I live in Chile , that's next to argentina.
The pre-order price of PS4 is $329.000 Chilean Pesos. Thats roughly $660 USD.
Buy one in Chile , it probably cost like 40 dollars to travel here from argentina.

Also , games here launch at $70 USD aprox. ($35.000 Chilean Pesos) and most games drop to $40 USD in a couple of months unless it's COD. I'm quite happy with prices here now , we used to get fucked by retailers not so long ago too.

Fake Edit: For reference, PS2 launched at $600.000 Chilean Pesos, that's $1200.00 USD as of today.(Aprox.)

"SE ANUNCIA EL PRECIO DE PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) Y SU PRE-VENTA EN LA ARGENTINA

Qué: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) anuncia el comienzo de la preventa del sistema de entretenimiento PlayStation®4 (PS4™) en la Argentina. El precio de la PS4™en el país será de $6.499.- (pesos argentinos)."

Buy it or import it from Chile. It's only 650 US dollars.

Krilekk

Banned
That is an impossible price at 25% over your wages.

Can anybody who understands economics explain why it is a good idea to set such a ridiculous import tax for a country who is experiencing inflation problems?

To get people to watch more tele novelas.

Tecl0n

Ah yes, i'm still shocked considering i wasn't going to buy it. (PC while even MORE expensive has Steam beloved and new games don't cost 140U$S) There has to be a top for this taxation somewhere, even with the rampart inflation. Oh who the **** i'm kidding we are still going to pile over the next 2 year old ledtv 27'' for 900 U$S like there were no tomorrow. BUT, if you have the U$S you can sell them on the black market for around 9.45 pesos so the final cost would be something like 700U$S. (See exchange rate lag)

nacimento

Lol, that's more than people payed monthly for a cleaning lady 5 times a week, at least round 2 years ago, maybe it's now more with inflation.

wotta

I found someone post this explanation, of course the world of journalism has already decided that this is 100% true without doing any research.

I’m from Argentina and I already preorder the ps4 and while the numbers on this article are correct the situation is a little more complicated and in the end the actual cost is around 750 dollars or so

What’s happening is that the official conversion rate is around 5,59 and that’s what gets you to around 1170 but no one can buy dollars ate that rate, it,s just a bogus rate that the government keeps artificially low in order to pay less of foreign debt but banks won’t sell to anyone at thAt rate

The dollar that can be bought is called blue and it’s like a black market and that,s what’s. used to calculated the cost of any imported goods and that one is around 9,30 right now, so 6500 divided by the real dollar rate is like 730 or so depending on the day, for me that’s like 3 weeks pay

Source: VG247 Comments

Mael

I read that as

that's about 25% of my current monthly salary.

And was like
Woah you're some kind of embassador or something?
This price is despicable.

Also how much are the others systems there?

Kammie

I found someone post this explanation, of course the world of journalism has already decided that this is 100% true without doing any research.

If that bastard is getting 6500 pesos in three weeks, I think I speak for all Argentineans when I say I want his job. You're lucky to even find a job offering you more than 4000 per month with the economy the way it is.

His explanation doesn't matter anyway. The simple fact is that we don't pay official dollar prices for imported goods. We pay black market dollar prices for them. That's how a PS3 game that sold for 400 pesos two years ago is now selling for 600. The problem is that our peso keeps devaluing, and we keep earning the same amount of money now as we did a year ago. End result is that we have to work twice as much to afford the same thing.

MaxDOL

Do South American's countries not have some kind of grey markets that sell cheaper video game compare to official price ?

Here in Thailand we also has high tax on imported video game but somehow the grey market can sell imported video game at very competitive price.
Comparison
Official Sony PS3 250GB : 11990 Thai Baht ( 373 usd )
Grey Market PS3 250GB : 8500 Thai Baht ( 265 usd )
:Thailand monthly wage is 12425 Baht (387 usd/month)

As you can see from the price above most people buy from grey markets.

mattchuuu

Neo Member

You are ignoring the effect of taxes. Here's an analogy using a U.S. product that gets similar special treatment. See the price difference between New York and the national average? The New york price jumped about a $1.20 literally overnight. That didn't happen because there was an increased consumer demand driving the price up.

0603_cigarette_tax.jpg

Embearded

1200$ is too much... But i guess that this isn't the biggest of your problems.

I live in Greece and as you all know we have some fucked up economy here too but not at that level. PS4 here will cost 399€ and very recently a store made pre orders for 342€ which is a very good price that i can't afford as a student.... :p

Manu

1200$ is too much... But i guess that this isn't the biggest of your problems.

I live in Greece and as you all know we have some fucked up economy here too but not at that level. PS4 here will cost 399€ and very recently a store made pre orders for 342€ which is a very good price that i can't afford as a student.... :p

Wow, even Greece has it better than us?

IN YOUR FACE... someone.

PetrCobra

How much is a Wii U in Argentina? Are the prices like this for all electronics there, or is it just with game consoles?

Edit: I just found on the banned Nintendo site that it was $4,250 on launch. Damn... that can't be true, can it?

Pentiboy

Neo Member
Am I rude for asking why they even bother to release it in agrentina? and even with infaltion, how the hell can it cost 1200$?

Another way for folks of Argentina would be to travel to Chile, in Santiago the console will be sold at CLP$330.000 aprox. US$660 and bring it back.

I'm from Chile, and when I traveled to Argentina I noticed a LOT of families bringing HDTV with them from across the country. The usual gadgets and electronic devices are VERY expensive in Argentina.

betterman

Banned
Another way for folks of Argentina would be to travel to Chile, in Santiago the console will be sold at CLP$330.000 aprox. US$660 and bring it back.

I'm from Chile, and when I traveled to Argentina I noticed a LOT of families bringing HDTV with them from across the country. The usual gadgets and electronic devices are VERY expensive in Argentina.

It's what comunism is. Next year can be the toilet papper.

thechopper

Neo Member
So yeah, just to keep in mind, average wage in Argentina is up to 4.500 argentinean pesos. The console is 6500 (1200 US bucks) and the rumours are telling that the games are nearly 999 pesos (187 bucks).

Playstation 3 is about 3400 argentinean pesos (637 bucks) and the games are 700 (131 bucks).

Pretty much sucks to be gamer over here.

And you know what's the most crazy s*it over here? That Sony LATAM is pricing the digital content the same! No taxes applied whatsoever. Assassins Creed 3 was listed 110 bucks in PSN Storefront. They're just doing it so PSN wont become a threat for the "official" retailers.

Talking about localization...

You are ignoring the effect of taxes. Here's an analogy using a U.S. product that gets similar special treatment. See the price difference between New York and the national average? The New york price jumped about a $1.20 literally overnight. That didn't happen because there was an increased consumer demand driving the price up.

0603_cigarette_tax.jpg

Cigarettes are now $12.50 here in nyc

Company I've done some work for has had to open a company specifically for the Argentinian market as transfer of money out for Services/Products is a bit ludicrous.

Even then it isn't smooth.

*edit:

Isn't there something for the Argentinian Inflation Calculator that it's based against a Big Mac Meal - yet you go into any McDonalds in Argentina you don't see it for sale?

shandy706

Do South American's countries not have some kind of grey markets that sell cheaper video game compare to official price ?

Here in Thailand we also has high tax on imported video game but somehow the grey market can sell imported video game at very competitive price.
Comparison
Official Sony PS3 250GB : 11990 Thai Baht ( 373 usd )
Grey Market PS3 250GB : 8500 Thai Baht ( 265 usd )
:Thailand monthly wage is 12425 Baht (387 usd/month)

As you can see from the price above most people buy from grey markets.

I can't imagine spending an entire month's wages on a console.

But this is true. At least I'm pretty sure the observed rate is very, very different from the official rate.

Also official inflation statistics are widely believed to be artificially reporting lower numbers, with the real rate being 2x-3x the reported one. There's even a video where the Argentinian Secretary of the Treasury has a meltdown after being asked in an interview what the real number for inflation was. He said the subject was very difficult and then couldn't go on with the interview. I'd look up the link, but I'm at work, so I'll leave that to someone else. Really funny stuff though.

IISANDERII

glee-facepalm-gif-i7.gif

Haunted

1200 per week is 57600$ per year no? This isn't rich or anything, but I wouldn't say it's not very much money. The average canadian income is 47,200$.
That your mind misunderstood his 960 per month (1200 being 25% over his monthly salary) as 1200 per week just shows the staggering difference.

As usual in these threads, if I find anyone from the US complaining about their prices... :p

shandy706

That your mind misunderstood his 960 per month (1200 being 25% over his monthly salary) as 1200 per week just shows the staggering difference.

As usual in these threads, if I find anyone from the US complaining about their prices... :p

But he's from Canada :p

RavenH2

Buy it or import it from Chile. It's only 650 US dollars.

Imports are heavily restricted...they somehow damage our "national industries" of videogame console production...?? So, it's either a no-go, or a go-and-end-up-paying-almost-the-same-and-waste-two-whole-days-in-customs-only-if-the-employees-didn't-steal-it... (this last part, is very common with Argentinian Customs)

The other way, is to travel to another country, Chile for example, and smuggle it. Many people do it. I have done it. If you get found, you have to pay a fee... but still, even with the fee, it's not as expensive as it is in Argentina...

Wow, even Greece has it better than us?

IN YOUR FACE... someone.

Para la Reina Kris que no lo mira por TV.

Anyway, there probably won't be an Xbone official price because the previous consoles were not officially released. Well, the 360 got an "official" release in november at a shit price.

Funny how the grotesque inflation problems we have and the government denies so much have exploded thanks to the PS4 price. They called the last years the "década ganada" (the won/earned decade) but to me this is worst than call it the lost decade. This was the fistf*ckR·$% decade. A direct strike to everyone's wallets.

I'm working 10 to 12 hours per day and I still earn LESS than the announced price of a PS4. It would take me two months or more to even pay the damn thing. Hell no.

Like someone else said, there is a reason why PC gaming is strong over here and this is why. For the price of a PS4 I could probably fuel Steam purchases for an entire year. Maybe more.

RavenH2

Para la Reina Kris que no lo mira por TV.

Anyway, there probably won't be an Xbone official price because the previous consoles were not officially released. Well, the 360 got an "official" release in november at a shit price.

Funny how the grotesque inflation problems we have and the government denies so much have exploded thanks to the PS4 price. They called the last years the "década ganada" (the won/earned decade) but to me this is worst than call it the lost decade. This was the fistf*ckR·$% decade. A direct strike to everyone's wallets.

I'm working 10 to 12 hours per day and I still earn LESS than the announced price of a PS4. It would take me two months or more to even pay the damn thing. Hell no.

Like someone else said, there is a reason why PC gaming is strong over here and this is why. For the price of a PS4 I could probably fuel Steam purchases for an entire year. Maybe more.

Shhhhh! Don't say that too loud, or maybe Kris will start posting in Neogaf, and then we would have a flow of "Game Producers K" and "Gamers K", and would HAVE to quit gaming...

And besides, she DID won a lot of money in the "Decada Ganada", so.... she's not technically lying there.. jejeje

Same here, got two degrees, two jobs, and barely making 1600 dolars a month... I could technically buy a PS4, but would have to stop eating for a while...

Top Bottom