• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 price was just announced in Argentina!

ChapaNDJ

Banned
What a joke of a country, for fuck sakes.

I was thinking on pre-ordering but i think i'll hold on for a while. Just going to wait to see what CDM or ET has to offer.
Also, here i'm hoping to fly to US by the end of the year.

CrisKre

Im from argentina living in Los Angeles.

Los precios en la argentina son ridiculos!!!!!

I gladly pay 60 USD for new games now lol. Feel bad for my fellow argentinians tbh. I guess its karma for all those years of piracy that so many enjoyed since the 90s.

Can't wait till I see it being sold for 4000 Soles here in Peru, for perspective, the Wii U Deluxe model launched at 1599 Soles here. the basic one launched at 1399, that's about $570 and 500$ if you use the current $1 = 2.8 Soles exchange ratio.
Oh yeah, Vita's price dropped from ridiculous to 899 Soles...
I'll import just like I do with everything else related to gaming, been doing this since 2011 and haven't regretted it, I can't go back now.

1899, so i guess 1600-1650 in polvos, 1450 - 1500 import from USA

I'm surprised anyone in SA games outside of PC given the prices

Latin america imports millions of consoles and games from the USA, so next time you are in gamestop and see this dude buying 12 copies of Fifa , Smash Bros , Pes or god of war, you know they are going south.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Dexter will be pissed.

2sg8z.gif

admartian

It is very expensive being a gamer outside the US!!!

And you in the US complain about prices, don't know how to explain how I feel when I read someone complaining about prices.

PRetty much this post.

I lol@ Yanks that like to have a whinge and get angry at prices. :p

CLEEK

The craziest thing about this upcoming gen is how well Australia has done.Both in release date and pricing.

If you'd told me a while ago that we'd b getting the PS4 before Japan, I'd have laughed in your face. If you'd then told me that the Aussie price was actually a bit cheaper than in the EU countries, I'd have punched you in the balls for making bad jokes. And that Australia would be deemed to be a Tier 1 country by MS, ahead of half of Europe and all of Asia and the the rest of the world.

Compare this all to last gen, when I forked out AU$1,000 for a PS3 (can't remember how much the Wii and 360 were). I remember the 360 launched here months after the US and EU, but can't remember how the Wii and PS3 fared.

sclpls

Neo Member
That is an impossible price at 25% over your wages.

Can anybody who understands economics explain why it is a good idea to set such a ridiculous import tax for a country who is experiencing inflation problems?

The economical explanation is that this is not a good idea! Politics rarely involves good economic ideas though...

RavenH2

Put things into perspective please. How much did a PS3 cost there at launch?

The PS3 at launch was around 4000 pesos, almost 1000 dolars. But the peso has heavily been inflated since...

How much does the Xbox One cost?

Not even announced yet. Xbox360 arrived officialy last November. And in April we only got the official Xbox Live Gold.

Can you not import?

Our dear President, and her friends think that importing destroys our national production... ¿of videogame consoloes?... yeah, it's a no go...

Esta caro. How much the Xbox one cost in Argentina?

The 360 Slim with 250 Gb and two games is 3999 pesos, which amounts to 700 dolars today...

sibarraz

Banned
"SE ANUNCIA EL PRECIO DE PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) Y SU PRE-VENTA EN LA ARGENTINA

Qué: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (SCEA) anuncia el comienzo de la preventa del sistema de entretenimiento PlayStation®4 (PS4™) en la Argentina. El precio de la PS4™en el país será de $6.499.- (pesos argentinos)."

So... yeah. 6500 pesos. That's roughly 1200 US Dollars.

Or, to put it in another way, that's about 25% over my current monthly salary.

I guess that's it for me as a gamer.

If you are earning 4800 us dollars monthly, you really had an amazing salary.

At least here in chile some people would kill to get that much money, and I'm sure that argentina too

But back on topic, that price is ridiculous, like all electronic devices from argentina, now I could see why you guys cross the frontier to buy things from

I betcha that for chileans it would still be better to import the console directly from the US via Hotbox (or just wait till you find the console at Todojuegos or Katana).

Considering that the stores that you had mentioned it always had their products on almost the same date that the US has (or even before!) I had yet to met somebody who will want to import a console from outside, more considering that the custom agency here is really shady and you had a high chance of losing your console

RavenH2

Another argie here, and yes those prices suck :/

I've got a PS3 with 15-20 retail games, all of them and my PS3 were bought in the US thanks to my cousin who lives there. Obviously that means I need to wait for her to come visit or someone from my family to go to the US, which could take quite a while.

Because of these prices I only buy exclusives on consoles. The rest I buy on PC. So I'm glad stores like Steam, GMG, GOG exist, not to mention humble bundles, which allow me to buy more games than I could otherwise.

Praise Gaben :p

My friend! Same case, my sister lives in Kansas... and I got away through customs with a PS3 and an Xbox360. Have bought some bargains here though... god bless Cdmarket...

Los precios en la argentina son ridiculos!!!!!

Mas bien yo diría que son una tamaña pelotudez!!!!

Tunin

Waiting for the Brazilian fiasco to create a similar thread.

It might be worse because Sony just opened a factory in Manaus, where I think they'll start assembling the PS4 at some point in the future and I'm guessing the price will be almost the same.

There is so much discrepancy here in LA on Sony's behalf in comparison with their latest approach to the gaming market that makes me want to cry. Such a huge market to be explored and no commitment to it so far.

Corto

At least here in chile some people would kill to get that much money, and I'm sure that argentina too

But back on topic, that price is ridiculous, like all electronic devices from argentina, now I could see why you guys cross the frontier to buy things from

Considering that the stores that you had mentioned it always had their products on almost the same date that the US has (or even before!) I had yet to met somebody who will want to import a console from outside, more considering that the custom agency here is really shady and you had a high chance of losing your console

No, he earns a bit less than $1000. The PS4 is 25% more than his monthly wage.

sibarraz

Banned
He means the PS4 price is 25% above his monthly salary. So he basically earns $960 dollars monthly.

Yeah, I recently realized that, my mistake.

Here in chile the thing will cost in the best of cases 800-850 dollars, since here we had the relation of 1 dollar in the states = 1000 chilean pesos, which are like 2 dollars

maty

Totally, in my case, PS4 would be around half my salary, so I'm obviously not buying one here.

In February I went to Iquique and bought a 40" LED TV for half of what we usually pay, unfortunately we can not import stuff like microwaves, fridges, etc or I would have bought everything there haha.

sibarraz

Banned
Totally, in my case, PS4 would be around half my salary, so I'm obviously not buying one here.

In February I went to Iquique and bought a 40" LED TV for half of what we usually pay, unfortunately we can not import stuff like microwaves, fridges, etc or I would have bought everything there haha.

the funny thing is that IQUIQUE'S Zofri is not that amazing anymore, at least in santiago you could find better thing at the same prices or even lower

Unless you are from some point of argentina where iquique is the nearest that you could go

HardRojo

1899, so i guess 1600-1650 in polvos, 1450 - 1500 import from USA

Haven't bought in Blue Powders/Pink Powders for a good 2 years now, I import all my shit from Amazon, ebat and BestBuy mostly, it really is hard to go back now, I'm gonna import my PS4 too but 1899 Soles is way better than what I was expecting, we're getting there, maybe by the time the PS5 launches prices will be better than now.

maty

the funny thing is that IQUIQUE'S Zofri is not that amazing anymore, at least in santiago you could find better thing at the same prices or even lower

Unless you are from some point of argentina where iquique is the nearest that you could go

I'm from Buenos Aires, but I was in Salta for a week so I took the opportunity to go to Chile and buy some stuff.

My friend! Same case, my sister lives in Kansas... and I got away through customs with a PS3 and an Xbox360

Brofist, I've been doing that since I started gaming with the NES xD

its S/.1900 in Perú, around $680 which is fine for me but I'm importing the XBO for the same price with 2 games. Imported PS4 will be S/.1600, around $570 (no games).
It will be released in november 29, lol before Japan.

Shengar

This is why living in third world country is sucks if you not importing. Those prices at Sony official retail is just blatant cutthroat price.

dungtongue

Neo Member
Are there any good governments in South America? It's a bit depressing how rough it seems down there due to politicians. I need happy stories about a wonderful leader (or an inoffensively bad leader more realistically).

OmegaX

Since the PS3 sells at a reasonable price here in Peru, people still haven't gone bananas with PC pirating. Of course, there are oddities everywhere.
What are you talking about? PC pirating here in Peru is the worst. All those youngsters playing CS and Dota at "cabinas de internet" are pirating those games for sure. Also, stores at Wilson Avenue still sell thousands of cracked no-steam games everyday.

casmith07

LOL yeah, pretty much.

That's why everytime I see posts like "I'll buy it when it's $5" my soul hurts a bit.

Dude, gamers can be a whiny bunch. Don't let that stuff get you down. People act like cutting edge technology should be $Free.99.

Slixshot

Banned
A lot of the time these claims make no sense. Like Australians paying an excessive amount for their games: doesn't average income tend to be much higher in comparison to that of the states?

Also, the US market outshines every other country in terms of market size. The reason the US market doesn't have high prices for games is because our collective willingness to pay doesn't exceed $60. Somewhere in these companies, there are mathmeticians running statistics which show that a $5-10 increase in price for games would result in a loss in net revenue from the consumers who wouldn't pay for the price increase. In other countries, your small market has a smaller impact, so they're able to price gouge all they want, because they know you'll pay it because you have no other choice.

You want things to change, speak with your wallet. Although, that would require a large amount of people to do so, otherwise you're just one person who doesn't have a system or game, which means practically nothing to the publishers.

Kerrinck

A lot of the time these claims make no sense. Like Australians paying an excessive amount for their games: doesn't average income tend to be much higher in comparison to that of the states?

Definitely not the case in most of South America, if not all of it.

Top Bottom