• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony increases PS4 and PS3 price in Chile ($90 USD increase for PS4 and PS3 500GB)

They are blaming market conditions on this. Sony is saying that because of the peso depreciation we had in the last year, they're going to increase PS4 and PS3 500GB price in $50.000 CLP each ($90 USD). The PS3 12GB price also went up ($35 USD).

The chilean peso went from 500 CLP a dollar to 570 CLP since last year (14% variation) and this is how prices went up:

- PS4 500GB: From $329.990 CLP to $379.990 CLP (15% increase).
- PS3 500GB: From $229.990 CLP to $279.990 CLP (21% increase, really Sony?).
- PS3 12GB: From $169.990 CLP to $189.990 CLP (11% increase).

I think I have never seen a price increase like this in Chile before. I hope Sony is consequent with how their are managing their prices and lowers them if the Peso gets a better exchange rate.

Official PR:

En respuesta a cambios en las condiciones de mercado, se modificará el precio de PlayStation 4, que pasará de $329,990 a $379,990 MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price), se modificará el precio del paquete PlayStation 3 (500GB), que pasará de $229,990 a $279,990 MSRP, y el precio del paquete de PlayStation 3 (12GB) que cambiara de $169,990 a $189,990 MSRP, a partir del 28 de Febrero, 2014. Aun en condiciones desafiantes, SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment) continuará trabajando para ofrecer a sus fans la mejor experiencia de juego.

http://www.niubie.com/2014/03/playstation-4-sube-oficialmente-de-precio-en-chile/

Edit: About the currency fluctuation.

Let me take back my previous post: The currency fluctuation has been about 7% since november, which is below the price hike here.

kmax

Well, they gotta make money from somewhere.

Seriously though, I feel for you. Price increases suck.

Fdkn

That's what happens with currency exchange rates fluctuation, you can't really blame Sony or any other company that does this.

That sucks

But only this one is really poor form

- PS3 500GB: From $229.990 CLP to $279.990 CLP (21% increase, really Sony?).

Moving currency values really do affect businesses so it doesn't surprise me

But yeah the 500Gb price increase seems crap

Yoda

...you sadist.

lol

image.php

That's what happens with currency exchange rates fluctuation, you can't really blame Sony or any other company that does this.

Looks like no other console maker is raising prices though, just Sony.

Also, this is not the first time currency fluctuates (lol) but I'm pretty sure it's the first time somebody actually increases prices.

That sucks. South Americans really get screwed on electronics. I'm going to Chile next month and selfishly a bit happy the peso is doing so bad. Much cheaper vacation.

Freeman

Banned
It would be more clear if you listed the price in dolars.

You can find PS4s in Brazil for about 650$ now (instead of the official $1700).

I paid 1300 PLN for 400 EUR PS3 40 GB, 2 years later 300 EURO ps3 slims were going for 1300 PLN due to polish zloty losing over 30% against euro when crissis started

Fdkn

Looks like no other console maker is raising prices though, just Sony.

Also, this is not the first time currency fluctuates (lol) but I'm pretty sure it's the first time somebody actually increases prices.

I'm certainly sure it's not the first time a product gets its price changed because of currency exchange rates. It's been happening for decades.

Insano Jaco

Neo Member
That's how Sony Latin America works, PS4 in Brazil is 2.000$ (R$ 4.000).

I wonder if their bosses in US and JP know that this is totally out of curve even for south American market. Not even Apple, that have lines at their doorstep, practice this kind of abusive prices. It kind of kill everything their worked for, Sony image down there is worst than Microsoft even after the whole DRM thing.

I'm certainly sure it's not the first time a product gets its price changed because of currency exchange rates. It's been happening for decades.

Are we both talking about Chile? As I already said, I have never seen a console's price go up before, at all.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They are blaming market conditions on this. Sony is saying that because of the peso depreciation we had in the last year, they're going to increase PS4 and PS3 500GB price in $50.000 CLP each ($90 USD). The PS3 12GB price also went up ($35 USD).

The chilean peso went from 500 CLP a dollar to 570 CLP since last year (14% variation) and this is how prices went up:

Oh God, how long until they raise the price in Canada? The CND's been doing terrible lately, so much so the price of games started to rise.

NEAT! Now the PS4 is almost 800USD and the PS3 500GB is 560USD! Fuck you, Sony Chile. (Good thing I already have one, but I wanted another just for me)

hawk2025

Let me take back my previous post: The currency fluctuation has been about 7% since november, which is below the price hike here.

After tax (~20%) and a provision for an extra year of warranty the premium in the EU is less than 10%, even with the Euro so strong. Lowering the price leaves them open to losses or having to raise the price if the Euro was to weaken drastically back to $1.25-1.30

Additionally, PlayStation is a much stronger brand in Europe than all of the competition, so much that Sony are, within reason, able to charge a premium. Part of the reason MS cut the XB1 price so quickly in the UK was to ensure they don't fall too far behind here, losing them the premium they previously charged. If Xbox ever became a serious threat, Sony could cut the PS4 to €375 and give up their $40 EU margin, but they are not in any hurry to do so at the moment.

If the Euro hit parity with Sterling and was trading around $1.60 for an extended period of time then there would be a case for lowering the price to the same as we have in the UK. That doesn't look like it's on the cards though.

Isn't this due to monetary reasons? Like the rise in price of the US$?

I kinda expect MS to do something similar with the XboxOne here in Brazil.

Price was announced when the US$ was about R$2,10.
Now it is R$ 2,40. It's quite a difference.

Fdkn

Are we both talking about Chile? As I already said, I have never seen a console's price go up before, at all.

I obviously don't know if specifically console prices changed because of this reason on Chile in the last 20+ years but even if it didn't happen before, it doesn't change the fact that is a normal and understandable thing to happen.

It sucks for you, I understand that you are not happy about it. It would piss me off too if it happened on my country but I wouldn't blame the company trying to maintain its margins in a global economy.

I really wish the Canadian dollar wasn't so fucking shitty right now. $1 CAD = 512 pesos vs $1 USD = 570 pesos. I'd kill for that USD exchange rate. The Canadian one isn't terrible as I've seen it below 500 pesos per dollar within the last few months but still fucking sucks in comparison.

Elchele

The same happened in Argentina. PS4 prices:

$6499 (original price) -> $8999 (when they re-opened the dollar exchange) -> $6999 (Government only allowed 15% rise in prices, so it went down again)

Now they only sell the console in combo (2 DS3, 2 Games, console) for $8999. They found a way around the 15% increase limit, the fuckers.

Top Bottom