• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation trophies to hit in June

Jonnyram

badcrumble said:
A Sony rep said that in-game XMB would be coming with Firmware 2.4 as well, right? Hopefully that's still the case.
No. Wollan is NOT a Sony rep, contrary to how it may seem.

Firewire

Banned
pswii60 said:
Yes, this is particularly important on GAF. So we can catch out people who say "Uncharted was crap blah blah" and then we can check their PSN name to see if they've even played through the damn game.

Still there will be shock and horror when we realise that Kittonwy hasn't made it past Chapter 3 :D

Kittonwy is a freak of nature when it comes to games with guns. Seriously, that little orange cat is a killing machine! :lol

3rdman

gregor7777 said:
But bragging is fun when it's between friends...there's a very active competition between me and a circle of buddies and family involving that score.

The rules are unspoken but simple. No cheating. And cheating would involve games like Golden Compass. We all buy mostly the same games so it's kind of cool to race to get kills, beat levels, etc, because mostly we play together.

I don't know, I think gamerscore gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

It's certainly not the sole reason any of us play, but it is a fun little addition.
Come on now...in a Sony related thread, do you really expect someone to mention the positives of gamerscores? Hell, I bet if you go back to 2005/6, you'll find that many people here hated the idea of achievements too....until recently.

Personally, I like them in that they give you a quick deduction of someone's commitment to a particular game. When doing comparisons of games between friends, you can see the differential (560/1000 points) and it helps to gauge how you might compare with them.

Firewire

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No. Wollan is NOT a Sony rep, contrary to how it may seem.

Actually wasn't it the guy who handles the firmware updates for Sony, that said 2.4 would be a major update in regards to the XMB?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is the exact origin of the in-game communication, 2.4, summer stuff. This was said back in March.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony-hails-retail-as-PS3-hits-1m

“Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios. I’d personally like to thank our trade and business partners for helping us on the start of the PS3 journey.”

Now, strictly speaking you could say that the comment doesn't definitively tie in-game communication to FW 2.4.

But it seems likely if it's coming in the summer.

And of course there's always the possibility for rescheduling.

EktorPR

Firewire said:
Actually wasn't it the guy who handles the firmware updates for Sony, that said 2.4 would be a major update in regards to the XMB?

Yep, that included in-game communication (XMB), too.

3rdman said:
Personally, I like them in that they give you a quick deduction of someone's commitment to a particular game.

So you can't do that by just looking out the amount of achievements someone has unlocked for a particular game? Say you look at their profile and it says 15/40 Achievements unlocked.

I can understand the point of achievements, it can possibly extend the reply value of a game by having you do a certain task that you might've not even thought of doing otherwise. But gamerscore doesn't make any sense to me.

Goldrusher

Wollan said:
Each achievement given various gamerscore value = no true indication of struggle at all (an extra layer of BS)

IMO, the Gamerscore should be a completion percentage.
(100 * unlocked achievements / locked achievements)

A Gamerscore of 4200 could in reality be only 28%, while 3000 could be 100%.

gcubed

Firewire said:

shhh let him go... its easier to just leave him sound like an ignorant ass then to argue with him.

I'd like to know if this will import all the old stuff. Will my achievements in DMC4 auto become trophies when this hits?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
gregor7777 said:
But bragging is fun when it's between friends...there's a very active competition between me and a circle of buddies and family involving that score.
Bragging is fun and thats what achievements provide. Gamerscore is pretty much meaningless as others have pointed out since its aggregate score across all games. Its like me adding up all the game scores from the PS3, Wii and 360 and saying one is better than the other based on that aggregate number.

3rdman

SolidSnakex said:
So you can't do that by just looking out the amount of achievements someone has unlocked for a particular game? Say you look at their profile and it says 15/40 Achievements unlocked.

I can understand the point of achievements, it can possibly extend the reply value of a game by having you do a certain task that you might've not even thought of doing otherwise. But gamerscore doesn't make any sense to me.
Well, on the 360 the achievement are not broken down in that manner...you have to scroll through the achievement to see what is locked or unlocked and there is nothing that denotes the number of achievements. It is also a somewhat needed representation of someone's playtime that can be quickly viewed via gamercards.

Come to think of it, there is a bit of irony in your argument in that you'd be fine if Sony tracked the number of achievements but only if they gave it a number value of "1".

3rdman said:
Come to think of it, there is a bit of irony in your argument in that you'd be fine if Sony tracked the number of achievements but only if they gave it a number value of "1".

Actually I don't care at all if Sony tracks the number of achievements. I was just giving an example of why the actual scoring system wasn't needed.

Wollan

3rdman said:
In the way he suggests, it would be much closer to the truth while not being a 'scientific result'. Gamerscore adds a random number value ontop of that again which totally distorts it.

3rdman

Goldrusher said:
IMO, the Gamerscore should be a completion percentage.
(100 * unlocked achievements / locked achievements)

A Gamerscore of 4200 could in reality be only 28%, while 3000 could be 100%.
That would be VERY frustrating because nobody would ever get to 100% and the counter argument is that you could be at 100% and only own one game. :p

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
3rdman said:
Well, on the 360 the achievement are not broken down in that manner...you have to scroll through the achievement to see what is locked or unlocked and there is nothing that denotes the number of achievements.

isn't it that way when you compare games?

Firewire

Banned
When most of my friends still had their 360's they would always get into arguments about Gamerscore's. It always came down to an argument of how someone got such a score and accusations of how that person cheated to get the score.

gofreak said:
This is the exact origin of the in-game communication, 2.4, summer stuff. This was said back in March.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29792/Sony-hails-retail-as-PS3-hits-1m

Now, strictly speaking you could say that the comment doesn't definitively tie in-game communication to FW 2.4.

But it seems likely if it's coming in the summer.

And of course there's always the possibility for rescheduling.
True, there's a bit of wiggle room there. But I think it's pretty undeniable that in-game communication (if it includes friends list, message reading, and message sending) only needs an interface redraw to become in-game XMB. Heck, if Sony felt like it I'm sure they could redraw + animate that interface right now to look like the XMB without the friends list stuff (just needs icons), since all it'd need is a limited list of system settings and a more context-sensitive game/dvd/blu-ray/display/whatever options menu. I can understand waiting for in-game messaging to debut an XMB-based redesign of said menu for in-game interface consistency, but I really would be surprised if they bring us in-game messaging without also redrawing the interface in the same firmware update.

Azrael

The problem with Gamer Score is its completely arbitrary nature. Getting 5 points from Final Fantasy XI is tougher than getting 1,000 points from most games. And Gamer Score encourages devs to dumb down achievements so Gamer Score whores will rent/buy their games just to jack up their scores.

The Jer

Nolan. said:
Would you get trophies for games you already finished if they added trophies later or would you have to play it again.?
or would you simply have to turn the game on to receive the trophies you had earned?

Also, I hope a lot of older games support this feature.

3rdman

Wollan said:
In the way he suggests, it would be much closer to the truth while not being a 'scientific result'. Gamerscore adds a random number value ontop of that again which totally distorts it.
It is not random...It's a number determined by the developers and as such, it becomes a way of communication from dev to player. It helps them communicate to the player what they would consider worth pursuing or what they would consider a "complete experience". Some achievements are ridiculous and should have "lesser value" than say beating the game. For you, all achievements are identical and that there would be no difference between them.

By the way, could you repost that awesome drawing of yours? You know, the one where the PS3 car easily beats the 360 to the finish line? Totally awesome!

Firewire

Banned
The Jer said:
or would you simply have to turn the game on to receive the trophies you had earned?

Also, I hope a lot of older games support this feature.

Well games that already had Accomplishments (DMC4) or trophies (Uncharted) and I think Ratchet & Clank already had that info tied to you're hard drive, so they would automatically show up after the firmware update. Games from the past would have to receive an update most likely to tie things in to the hard drive.

3rdman

Azrael said:
The problem with Gamer Score is its completely arbitrary nature. Getting 5 points from Final Fantasy XI is tougher than getting 1,000 points from most games. And Gamer Score encourages devs to dumb down achievements so Gamer Score whores will rent/buy their games just to jack up their scores.
Not all games are the same...Achievements in Crackdown and GTA are worth doing. Devs that "dumb down" don't play on my machine so it's not much of a concern for me...but I understand your point and it's well taken.

MS would have to be stricter in their approval process to include this. Also, this is a first iteration...it WILL get better over time. Sony has a chance to implement something better here...they've been slow to respond this entire gen so we'll see if they can pull it off, but they need to get more basic features before they can worry about this unimportant stuff.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bobby1234SI said:

Wherez my in-game xmb?
gladtomeetya.gif

tha_con

Banned
Firewire said:

Well, that major update to the XMB could very well just be the addition of viewable Trophies in the XMB...

Azrael

3rdman said:
It is not random...It's a number determined by the developers and as such, it becomes a way of communication from dev to player.

It's random and arbitrary. There is no consistent correlation across games between how difficult an achievement is to obtain and how many points it is worth. You have games that the average player will obtain 1000 points from from a single playthrough over one weekend, and games like Ridge Racer VI that are extremely difficult to obtain points from. I played Final Fantasy XI for two years and didn't meet the requirements to unlock a single point from that game.

I was really behind the whole achievement thing at first, but have since lost interest. I know its expected at this point, but I almost wish they would focus on something else.

tha_con

Banned
In the end, the Gamerscore system boils down to whoever can buy / rent the most games, as it is very easy to run through a game on normal setting in a few days and dig out 400 achievement points.

Even then, games like Avatar: The Air Bender remove even more of the 'importance' of Gamerscores.

Trophies will be no different.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Firewire said:

Didn't Shane on the latest 1UP yours hint at 2.4 being pretty significant?

3rdman

Azrael said:
It's random and arbitrary. There is no consistent correlation across games between how difficult an achievement is to obtain and how many points it is worth. You have games that the average player will obtain 1000 points from from a single playthrough over one weekend, and games like Ridge Racer VI that are extremely difficult to obtain points from. I played Final Fantasy XI for two years and didn't meet the requirements to unlock a single point from that game.
Ouch! I certainly understand your frustration, but that is the exception to the rule and it's more of an indictment of the developer than anyone else. If you never received any gamerpoints, then you never unlocked an achievement for that game and that is something that should be blamed on the developer. Two years and no points??? Wow!

As I eluded to earlier, this system is still kinda new...some developers (I'm looking at you, Square/Namco) haven't figured out how to properly implement them and I think MS should do more to set guidelines, but its far too early to denounce it before it has a chance to mature.

tha_con

Banned
LOL @ nofi. Awesome. :lol

The great thing about the Gamerscore system is that it works wonders for the industry and game sales. It almost becomes an 'incentive' for developers to implement easy achievement points into their game so it see's greater sales / rentals.

There really is no reward for a developer to make challenging achievement points, at all. I don't expect trophies to be any different.

nofi

tha_con said:
LOL @ nofi. Awesome. :lol

The great thing about the Gamerscore system is that it works wonders for the industry and game sales. It almost becomes an 'incentive' for developers to implement easy achievement points into their game so it see's greater sales / rentals.

There really is no reward for a developer to make challenging achievement points, at all. I don't expect trophies to be any different.

I remember my first ever Achievement - on Condemned. Ahh. I do hope Sony can come up with something at least half as good. ;)

Thrakier

I cared for Achievements in the beginning and now I don't give a shit to be honest. I don't know why it turned out that way. But it's not bad to have them and some nice 3D throphies for home would be cool, this really could be a motivation for me. Wait and see.

AndyD

aka andydumi
To people complaining about 2d trophies. If home 3d trophies is all we got, then complainers would say they have to go to Home to see their trophies. This will likely be a list style quick XMB access version, with a full modeled 3D version in Home.

Firewire

Banned
Thrakier said:
I cared for Achievements in the beginning and now I don't give a shit to be honest. I don't know why it turned out that way. But it's not bad to have them and some nice 3D throphies for home would be cool, this really could be a motivation for me. Wait and see.

I don't care about scores or accomplishments/achievements really, but I think the trophies could be kind of cool.

Azrael said:
Will the Trophies be any different? More consistent? Maybe you will have 20 hard earned Trophies, but another person 20 easy earned trophies. Sounds like 3d Gamerscore to me...

Or am I missing the point here? (since this thread became a Gamerscore vs. Trophies battle)

Tom Penny

tha_con said:

So I don't have a PS3 , Uncharted, MLB the Show, Ratchet and GTA IV. Ok...if that makes you feel better. That's not alot of games and all there is left this year is MGS4, LBP and R2.

Top Bottom