• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls 2nd Encore |OT| Launch Party (2012-still going)

Ravidrath

And Skullgirls 2nd Encore has been submitted to Sony for final certification!

Fingers crossed, but I feel fairly confident it'll pass on the first try after the ordeal we went through with SCEJ.

ZoronMaro

I don't know how I missed the news but congrats to LZ! I can't wait to get this on my Vita.

Ravi do you know how many GBs the Vita version is? I assume it's smaller than the PS3 version since some of the art got scaled down, but I only have an 8GB card so I need to know how much room I gotta clear out.

Ravidrath

Ravi do you know how many GBs the Vita version is? I assume it's smaller than the PS3 version since some of the art got scaled down, but I only have an 8GB card so I need to know how much room I gotta clear out.

Even though the Vita version's character art and textures are smaller, the PS3 supports real time PS archive (zip-alike) decompression and the Vita doesn't. So the PS3 package is compressed, and the Vita's is not.

Additionally, to reduce loading time, the Vita's textures need to be stored swizzled, which actually takes up more space than the equivalent texture without modification.

And, of course, the Vita also includes voices for story mode.

ZoronMaro

Even though the Vita version's character art and textures are smaller, the PS3 supports real time PS archive (zip-alike) decompression and the Vita doesn't. So the PS3 package is compressed, and the Vita's is not.

Additionally, to reduce loading time, the Vita's textures need to be stored swizzled, which actually takes up more space than the equivalent texture without modification.

And, of course, the Vita also includes voices for story mode.

Huh interesting thanks for the explanation. I guess that also explains why you (and other developers) have RAM issues with the Vita, I always just assumed the problem was the Vita reserved more ram for background applications than the PS3.

3 GB is a lot on a 8 GB card though, maybe I should finally upgrade
or buy the Japanese version I was already eyeballing anyway.

Ravidrath

Huh interesting thanks for the explanation. I guess that also explains why you (and other developers) have RAM issues with the Vita, I always just assumed the problem was the Vita reserved more ram for background applications than the PS3.

3 GB is a lot on a 8 GB card though, maybe I should finally upgrade
or buy the Japanese version I was already eyeballing anyway.

Without RAM for BG programs, I think the Vita has about 12 megs more than the PS3. And I think you get another 30-40 megs more RAM from the Expanded RAM option they enabled when they killed near.

Also, we can't use the VRAM on the Vita like we were able to on the PS3, which means we effectively lost another 256 megs of memory to use. This is because copying stuff from RAM to VRAM on the Vita is incredibly slow, and becomes a major drag on the framerate.

The memory management stuff MikeZ had to write to get 6 characters in memory on the PS3 is extremely complicated, and more than a little genius. So finding out that performance would suffer using that VRAM and thus losing all of that was a big part of why the development and optimization took so long.

ZoronMaro

Huh, I thought Vita RAM was unified and not split, don't know why since a quick google search shows I was very wrong. That explains a lot.

As someone without access to a TV or consoles right now, I appreciate the effort. I could barely even notice the lag in the preview video and I expected much worse, despite already knowing that MikeZ is a genius.

Dachande

So I got another backer New Challengers poster at work today from Sanshee! I wasn't expecting anything, and it was quite lucky it got here as we'd moved recently and the mail redirection service managed to pick it up.

The poster's very cool, but as I've framed my first one that I got about 9 months ago, I don't have a need for another one. Any idea how comes I got sent it? I guess I could send it back, I've only opened and unrolled it once to check what it was out of confusion, or I could send it on to someone who missed out at postage cost. (I'm in the UK...)

Ravidrath

So I got another backer New Challengers poster at work today from Sanshee! I wasn't expecting anything, and it was quite lucky it got here as we'd moved recently and the mail redirection service managed to pick it up.

The poster's very cool, but as I've framed my first one that I got about 9 months ago, I don't have a need for another one. Any idea how comes I got sent it? I guess I could send it back, I've only opened and unrolled it once to check what it was out of confusion, or I could send it on to someone who missed out at postage cost. (I'm in the UK...)

Definitely don't worry about returning it, but I'm wondering why it was sent at all. Especially given how expensive international shipping is.

So whatever happened, now you've got a spare for yourself or a devote SG fan friend!

Dachande

Definitely don't worry about returning it, but I'm wondering why it was sent at all. Especially given how expensive international shipping is.

So whatever happened, now you've got a spare for yourself or a devote SG fan friend!

Cool! Welp, first person who PMs me willing to pay shipping (in a medium size tube) from the UK gets it. I can find out how much it'll be to wherever, but the nearer the better.

Edit: Gone!

Thanks.

For our purposes that's not international, but definitely need to figure out why extras are going out like this.

Im in Puerto Rico too....can I get extras? :p

Im kidding, you helped me enough when I had issues with my packaging and made it sweeter. Still odd about the extra items though.

Hey Ravi.....is it true that we are getting Skull girls on Vita on April 5th?

Please don't play with our hearts on this day. xD

i-Jest

Cross posting from a Skull Girls Vita announcement thread:

I await my free Vita game.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to make this release a complete experience instead of a glitchy mess we expect some games to be day 1. The level of transparency we were getting in the SG official thread was a refreshing experience to say the least. The way you guys handled the DLC didn't make consumers feel cheated, the content actually felt like an additional experience worth paying for, if you didn't catch it during the free period. I enjoy the definitive version on PS4 with all the digital goodies included.

Once again, thank you Lab Zero for all the effort you put into the project. The Skull Girls curse didn't make it easy, that's for damn sure. I look forward to your future projects and the eventual Skull Girls sequel. Best of luck in what comes next.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Ravidrath.

I'm so glad this is finally happening. I held off on buying a PS4 for the longest time and these PS4K rumors are making it much easier to hold my wallet in check. Now I can finally enjoy voiced story mode, trials and all the other console exclusive features!

Card Boy

Banned
So can the dev confirm if there will be a loyalty bonus for those of us that already have all the characters and colours? Seems kinda of a bad deal if we are basically paying for voices trials and challenges.

Otherwise i'm waiting till this is $3.74 at the Xmas sale.

Ravidrath

So can the dev confirm if there will be a loyalty bonus for those of us that already have all the characters and colours? Seems kinda of a bad deal if we are basically paying for voices trials and challenges.

Otherwise i'm waiting till this is $3.74 at the Xmas sale.

No way to do that in Steam's system - we're more or less considering the 33% off at the start the "loyalty bonus" since that would cover the cost of the DLC for most people. And the vast majority of players received all the DLC for free, anyway.

We thought about breaking it apart so it wouldn't overlap with the other DLC, but the new content was all designed and coded with the full roster in mind, and it would've been a lot of testing and fixing to make it work if you do this trial and don't have this character, etc.

Ravidrath

Are you going to sunset all the other DLC because this effectively encompasses everything else?

We're lowering the price of the base game and DLC, because we still think there's some advantage in letting people choose.

Base game will be $10, and each DLC character will be $2. So if you don't care about the new stuff, etc. you can still save a little money buying it piecemeal.

Awaiting final confirmation from Marvelous, but this should be going into effect when the 2nd Encore DLC launches.

Ravidrath

Skullgirls is out in Japan!

Cf-g7omWwAE-wty.jpg

Cf-hzVaWwAQ6tPG.jpg

is this game good for noobies? I heard it has good tutorials.

Yes it is, even if your a vet at fighters, you can learn a thing or two with this one.

I learned to use grapplers and charge characters thanks to this game.

Also, grats on japanese release!!!!!!!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got my Japanese physical copies for PS4 and Vita. Didn't try the PS4 version yet -might just keep it sealed- but I opened the Vita version and tried it on my J-account Vita. The game text is in full English (voices are Japanese), so if you are interested in a physical copy to help free up some space on your memory card, import away!

OniBaka

Am currently in Japan and picked this up for the vita, does this have English voices as well? I don't mind either way.

Top Bottom