• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Worldwide initiative where GT6 sales help Ayrton Senna Institute

Big-E

Tell me if SONY pictures announces a film starring James Franco as Senna.

When I heard a F1 movie on a rivalry was being made, I thought that would be a movie about Senna and Prost not Hunt and Lauda. I am sure Rush is good but a movie about Senna and Prost would be great.

I was thinking about passing on GT6 but with Driveclub getting pushed back to next year and having watched the Senna documentary on Netflix recently I'll be certainly picking this up now.

Ezalc

I was born in 92, but somehow I remember that the reason why I watched F1 as a kid and loved it so much was because of Senna. I think I can vaguely remember the day he died but I was only 2 so it might be just some fictitious memory going on. Still amazing of them to do this.

Wow this is an actual game changer for me. If there is some type of Senna mode where you drive some of his cars in famous races then I will defo be buying this game.

I have gone of the racing sim genre, but this could get me back.

If GT6 sells a bunch of copies? A portion of that.
If GT6 sells a shitton of copies? A bigger portion of that than if it only sold a bunch of copies.

So you have no idea then? Until Sony give outs some actual numbers on how much money will they donate per unit sold and/or what their donation cap is, I'll assume this is basically another case of pinkwashing.

tbm24

Sony getting all my monies for years to come it appears. Would have liked a Senna helmet themed PS3. Would be dope.

So you have no idea then? Until Sony give outs some actual numbers on how much money will they donate per unit sold and/or what their donation cap is, I'll assume this is basically another case of pinkwashing.

I don't work at Sony or live in Brazil so that is correct, I don't know aside from what has been translated for us.

Massa

If the game tanks they'll actually sue the Ayrton Senna Institute.

I don't know about you guys, but to me this is all sorts of awesome.

Senna in a GT game. A match made in heaven. Getting Interlagos is huge too. I mean, they might botch like WRC and Nascar, but maybe it's a bit more story driven and worthy of our attention.

Racing games should be doing this more often.

From the top of my head there's like a dozen Senna moments they could be recreating, like 2k did when they got MJ.

The 1983 test with Williams
1984 monaco race during heavy rain
1984 190E race in which he beat the entire field made up of F1 drivers
The rally test he did in the 80's
First win in Interlagos in 1991
Suzuka testing the NSX
Bringing Audi cars to Brazil
Donington Park's first lap magic in 1993
Holding Mansell and his super Williams in Monaco in 1992
Testing and flirting with Indycars in 1992

I mean, they got to get one of these right... only problem might be licensing the McLaren years, but other than that... until 1987 they already have so many great moments to choose from...

I'm pumped, i'm always a believer and i still have hope for racing games having good story and carrear modes.

Massa

Some more info is that the game will have Interlagos, and will cover the early parts of Senna's carrer (until 1987). F1 is "undecided", but given the licensing issues I wouldn't count on it.

dalin80

Banned
While a nice idea I hope the whole game hasn't become an ode to Senna because truth be told I really didn't like him. Would happily pay a bit more for a game cover which didn't have his face on. Give some money to a charity by all means but don't presume everyone was a fan.

addik

I don't want to fanboy all over Sony, but the one thing I really find good about this article, aside from the fact that sales of GT6 will help an institute, is that it seems that this initiative was started because the creator idolized Ayrton Senna, and perhaps it was his choice to do this?

Maybe it just goes to show that Sony truly cares for their developers (especially those who have been with Sony for a long time)?

malyce

Given PD's track record, I wouldn't really get my hopes up about the Senna integrated stuff. It's gonna be half baked at best.

Imagine if we get F1 cars. Flying around Interlagos in that MP4
banderas.png

F1 is "undecided", but given the licensing issues I wouldn't count on it.

I think this has been a dream of Kaz's for a long time now, In an interview as far back as 2008 he had this to say ...

As for F1, of course we've always wanted to add more F1 cars, and to make an F1 game, but we haven't made any movement to acquiring the license, so there's no set timeline for it yet, but it's something we're looking at.

Then last year he mentioned the F1 licence again ...

We were interested to create a game with the Formula 1 license but had to withdraw. That industry is a monster, so big that any agreement you want to get forces you to make a financial outlay that we can not afford.

Sony seriously need to stump up some cash to make it happen, another Codemasters release will just be heartache for F1 fans.

Given PD's track record, I wouldn't really get my hopes up about the Senna integrated stuff. It's gonna be half baked at best.

Imagine if we get F1 cars. Flying around Interlagos in that MP4
banderas.png

I think it says a lot that Kaz has basically confirmed that they're going to include Interlagos in this almost solely because of how important it was to Senna. It shows that they're taking this a lot more seriously than they did those other licenses.

Sony seriously need to stump up some cash to make it happen, another Codemasters release will just be heartache for F1 fans.

I'm not sure if money is the only factor. Notice that F1 games always come out every single year? I remember reading that doing that is part of the contract as well.

addik

wtf does this even mean?

I'm just saying how cool it is that Sony is interested in donating a portion of their sales to an institute of a racer whom the creator idolizes and whose achievements pushed him to create a franchise. It's uncommon for initiatives like this to start right out of lunch, and if I understood it correctly, it was Yamauchi who spearheaded/propose the initiative.

I'm not trying to downplay Sony here, I'm saying if GT6 was handled by a different publisher, we probably won't have this initiative right out of launch.

dalin80

Banned
I'm just saying how cool it is that Sony is interested in donating a portion of their sales to an institute of a racer whom the creator idolizes and whose achievements pushed him to create a franchise. .

That's quite a change to the backstory, in the past Kaz has only referred to his desire to make a car museum / database and that the racing was only really to show the cars off. And that was just something to do while planning on making a RPG.

addik

That's quite a change to the backstory, in the past Kaz has only referred to his desire to make a car museum / database and that the racing was only really to show the cars off. And that was just something to do while planning on making a RPG.

Oh okay, I'm not really a fan of the GT series, and reading the article, it certainly seemed that way.

Still a very cool news story though, no matter how you look at it.

stryke

I'm not trying to downplay Sony here, I'm saying if GT6 was handled by a different publisher, we probably won't have this initiative right out of launch.

You could have worded yourself a bit better, because this

Maybe it just goes to show that Sony is starting to truly care for their developers (especially those who have been with Sony for a long time)?

gave the impression that you thought Sony didn't care before about their developers.

Ashes

Banned
Senna mode is just one step closer to that RPG.

Also, it's hard to put a value on how beneficial, this will be. Not only does GT sell a gigaton of copies, it also brings worldwide attention to the charity in question.

I'm not sure if money is the only factor. Notice that F1 games always come out every single year? I remember reading that doing that is part of the contract as well.

I guess the main caveat here is the fact they'd only have to model 11 new cars and a handful of tracks once they were up and running ... we already have Suzuka, Silverstone, Spa, Nurburgring and Monza ... with Interlagos apparently incoming that would leave about 15 circuits?

To see some more of these F1 tracks make the transition to the GT series would be fantastic too!

Ashes

Banned

That's kind of a daft conclusion. :)
Senna being rated highly amongst Motorsport fans is quite common.

Ashes

Banned
I haven't made any conclusions only referenced what Kaz has talked about in the past.

"That's quite a change to the back story"

Within the context of what you're saying, I'd say you're doubting kaz's sincerity. I realise that the marketing opportunity here allows one to be cynical, but I find it a tad silly.

Bundy

Banned
Wasn't interested in GT6, because it is a PS3 title (BEYOND was my last "current gen" title). But now...... hmmm..... nice move SONY :) )

vgBR.com

Banned

Can we have a translation of what Viviane said please?
She said most things about Ayrton and how he wanted kids to have opportunities in life, like he did. She thanked Sony for the opportunity of partnership to help Instituto Ayrton Senna, but they didn't announced GT6 with Ayrton by then, so everyone was pretty much wondering what partnership she was talking about.

I'm heading for the show floor right now, but I can post the full translation when I get back. :)

Top Bottom