• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft: Brood War - Afreeca Starleague (Flash, Jaedong, Bisu, Stork)

54-46!

Brood War! competitive gaming at its finest.

General information:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Afreeca_Starleague_Season_4

LFDC4Jc.png

Live @ 19:00 KST (UTC+9)
AfreecaTV - Press the cog in the bottom right to get the HTML5 player.

You can also use Streamlink with VLC, MPC-HC or mpv.

Season 4 Schedule & VODs:
Ro24 Group A - 2017-09-10 - Killer, Sky, Larva, Light
Ro24 Group B - 2017-09-11 - Last, Miso, sSak, Stork
Ro24 Group C - 2017-09-12 - EffOrt, Lazy, Mind, Rush
Ro24 Group E - 2017-09-18 - BeSt, Ample, Mong, Rain
Ro24 Group F - 2017-09-19 - Shuttle, firebathero, hero, Snow
Ro24 Group D - 2017-09-20 - Sharp, Mini, Jaedong, HiyA
Ro16 Group A - 2017-09-24 - Flash,
Killer, Mong, Sharp
Ro16 Group B - 2017-09-26 - Shine,
Larva, EffOrt, hero
Ro16 Group C - 2017-10-08 - Bisu,
Mind, Shuttle, sSak
Ro16 Group D - 2017-10-10 - Soulkey,
Rain, Stork, Jaedong
Ro8 Match 1 -
Larva vs Rain
Ro8 Match 2 -
Soulkey vs hero
Ro8 Match 3 -
Bisu vs Killer
Ro8 Match 4 -
Flash vs Mind

Season 3 VODs:
See post #151

Season 2 VODs:
See post #142

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
These names, holy moly

wildfire

Banned
Just realized these guys I'm looking forward to qualified instead of being invited. Atleast they are in enough form to compete with what's left of the Broodwar scene.

Minions

WHAT YEAR IS THIS?

seriously though. Fond memories of these guys. All 4 were really dominant at at least one point in time.

Elven_Star

Not related perhaps, but if you're into old-school multiplayer games, Warcraft 3 scene is still quite active (for a game that came out in 2003). Douyu Star Invitational, a $10k+, 3-day tournament, starts tomorrow, and WCA ($40k+) starts on December 11th, and right after that we have GCS with $12k+ in prizes on December 15th.

54-46!

Not related perhaps, but if you're into old-school multiplayer games, Warcraft 3 scene is still quite active (for a game that came out in 2003). Douyu Star Invitational, a $10k, 3-day tournament, starts tomorrow, and WCA ($40k+) starts on December 11th, and right after that we have WCS with $12k+ in prizes on December 15th.

SC2 seem to be dying off and players are going back to whatever they played previously, maybe not for the competitive scene but for streaming etc.

Linkark07

Banned
SC2 seem to be dying off and players are going back to whatever they played previously, maybe not for the competitive scene but for streaming etc.

Is there any documentary or anything I can read as to why SC2 never became so popular in Korea? I know there is the issue with LOL, DOTA2 and other games but I would expect SC2 to still maintain high popularity levels in Korea. Instead, they continue with Brood War.

Minions

Is there any documentary or anything I can read as to why SC2 never became so popular in Korea? I know there is the issue with LOL, DOTA2 and other games but I would expect SC2 to still maintain high popularity levels in Korea. Instead, they continue with Brood War.

Don't know about a documentary, but its because blizzard prevented Korea from running the stuff themselves like they did for SC1. Blizzard basically mandated everything.

Aaron

SC2 is a very different game from Broodwar. Unless you played terran, your race was changed almost completely, and even then the tactics you have to employ have changed dramatically. So it's off putting to the old pros from the start. I don't think it's nearly as good as a spectator sport despite the improved graphics, and the skill level required to be competitive is insanely high. SC2 just asks too much of a pro player, while it didn't have much of a casual appeal to get that big fanbase in Korea.

Minions

SC2 is a very different game from Broodwar. Unless you played terran, your race was changed almost completely, and even then the tactics you have to employ have changed dramatically. So it's off putting to the old pros from the start. I don't think it's nearly as good as a spectator sport despite the improved graphics, and the skill level required to be competitive is insanely high. SC2 just asks too much of a pro player, while it didn't have much of a casual appeal to get that big fanbase in Korea.

Those may be some issues; but this was really the nail in the coffin out the gate.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ation_Over_Korean_StarCraft_TV_Broadcasts.php

http://www.giantbomb.com/starcraft-...spa-and-blizzard-fiasco-in-a-nutshell-441221/

StayDead

Oh man I'm going to have to catch the VODs at lunch today, because Light is playing!

So happy that TBLS are all back to Broodwar now. I've never stopped watching Broodwar and I still love and enjoy playing it more than SC2, so the fact the best are back (but where's my FanTaSy :() is the best news.

54-46!

I was hoping that Soulkey would make it through, we need more Z in the Ro16. Kind of a bummer.

On a related note: OpenBW, an open source version of the game is in the works. They're essentially reverse engineering the core gameplay with the help of replays.

Remains to be seen how Blizzard will react to this, hopefully they've learned something from that vanilla WoW server debacle.

peakish

Stork playing today! Will miss some of it though, have to run some stupid errands ...

E: Hah, I've seen a lot better Goliath defenses against carriers than whatever that was.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just managed to finish watching everything that happened so far on ASL 2016 , and it's great! Jaedong really lucked out. :D Hopefully I will have time to watch live how Flash demolishes his group in a few days.

Harlock

No news from the SC1 remaster? Maybe is impossible to hd graphics and keep exactkt the same microplay of every unit, but I find Brood War not good to watch, after get used to SC2.

DieH@rd

Banned
I did not have any issues switching to watching BW. It still looks great, and more importantly, ASL S2 games were awesome.

Accoun

I'm only on day 2 of VODs, but this is good. Very good.
I'm not very much into Starcraft (never been too good at RTSes), but I'm still up for watching some good matches.

Top Bottom