• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

BowieZ

Banned
Survivor is a reality show where the winner is voted on by a jury of peers who were voted out.

Nowhere in the rules does it say you have to spearhead all their vote outs and demand to be rewarded by them.

The show's mantra is outwit, outplay, outlast, and I think we all know who achieved that this season! Hint: not Aubry.

And IMHO a good winner is one who does not get saved by a medical evacuation and who does not fail to inspire their "closest ally" to hand over an idol before they exit.

kirblar

Survivor is a game where the rules for the final vote are arbitrary and subjectives.

People will have opinions, because opinions are arbitrary and subjective.

It's like people would defend a player losing because half the jury was racist.

BowieZ

Banned
Michelle was saved too though, by Joe's medivac.
Not necessarily. If we ignore the edit (which painted Tai's loyalty as wavering, but he too might have realised the benefit in breaking up the Joe and Aubry pair, if given another day to think it over), then at least she could have won immunity and saved herself, but Joe's evac cancelled the challenge; and considering she won 3 of the last 4 immunity (including jury twist) challenges, I'd say she had a pretty strong chance!

When Neal left, the show spelled out how Aubry was the definite target, and Nick confirmed that she was lucky to last another day (ironic for Nick, yes, but not false). And Neal holding onto his idol when he was out of the game doesn't give me much faith he would have given Aubry the idol in the game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not necessarily. If we ignore the edit (which painted Tai's loyalty as wavering, but he too might have realised the benefit in breaking up the Joe and Aubry pair, if given another day to think it over), then at least she could have won immunity and saved herself, but Joe's evac cancelled the challenge; and considering she won 3 of the last 4 immunity (including jury twist) challenges, I'd say she had a pretty strong chance!

When Neal left, the show spelled out how Aubry was the definite target, and Nick confirmed that she was lucky to last another day (ironic for Nick, yes, but not false). And Neal holding onto his idol when he was out of the game doesn't give me much faith he would have given Aubry the idol in the game.

Tai obviously wasn't going to target Aubry, and no one was targeting Joe--- Joe was the god damn goat you bring to the end.

It was in everyone's best interest to knock out Michelle at that point. But Joe's medivac cost them a tribal/immunity challenge opportunity to do it. His medivac was essentially free immunity for Michelle that round - which was huge.

BowieZ

Banned
His medivac was essentially free immunity for Michelle that round - which was huge.
Possibly, but we'll never know. Maybe Michele would be targeted, maybe Michele would win immunity anyway.

We do know, however, that Aubry was absolutely doomed had Neal not left, unless someone accidentally let slip which of the two of them the majority was voting for.

eerik9000

It's like people would defend a player losing because half the jury was racist.

Wait, what?! Are you saying Tai lost because of racism or what does it have to do with Michele winning???

maxwell_smart__confused.gif

BowieZ

Banned
No, no, just a hypothetical.
In your hypothetical (an extreme one, no doubt, as the likelihood of more than one person of such a biased nature being cast would entail some sort of Crazy Rednecks vs City Folk theme), I would agree with you that a jury voting out of deep-seated pathological hatred would be unjustifiable, whereas, voting emotionally, out of everyday spite and revenge, is certainly what the game was designed to explore, and is definitely justifiable IMHO.

kirblar

In your hypothetical (an extreme one, no doubt, as the likelihood of more than one person of such a biased nature being cast would entail some sort of Crazy Rednecks vs City Folk theme), I would agree with you that a jury voting out of deep-seated pathological hatred would be unjustifiable, whereas, voting emotionally, out of everyday spite and revenge, is certainly what the game was designed to explore, and is definitely justifiable IMHO.
Oh, spite I totally get- I have no issues with why Debbie voted the way she did.

Jason/Scot simply acted like gigantic hypocritical babies their entire time out there.

Not really pertaining to this season, but the Price is Right is having a Survivor version going right now. Rupert, Joe, Boston Rob, Woo, Phillip, fuckin' everybody is there.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not really pertaining to this season, but the Price is Right is having a Survivor version going right now. Rupert, Joe, Boston Rob, Woo, Phillip, fuckin' everybody is there.

I had tickets to that TPiR taping (perhaps the only "game" show I love more than Survivor) but ended up on a work trip to Paris instead. Was pretty bummed

BowieZ

Banned
We now have a much clearer picture of who the 20 returnees are going to be for S34 (thanks to insider Redmond, and some logical deductions). (NB: Redmond is NOT going to spoil any names of S33 returnees most likely until the season begins airing, if not their actual elimination.)

There are 8 men and 8 women (16 total) from the list of 31 names previously spoiled by Redmond a couple months ago, plus 4 new. Process of elimination, though, means Mike and Alexis have now been definitely cut from that list, short of any last-minute casting changes.

So the 4 new people are:

• 2 people from S33 - 1 man, 1 woman (will remain unspoiled)

• 1 mystery male pre-juror from post-HvV (Brad Culpepper* heavily speculated due to Second Chance shortlist... but would love for someone more random like Bill Posley -- he can get some Colton redemption!)

• 1 two-timer female who has been part of the jury (Ciera highly speculated, could be Abi, or Kass but they aren't as keen)

The remaining 8 men/8 women (all from original Redmond list) are:

• Only 1 person from WA -- a woman (Hali or Carolyn) -- this rules out Mike unfortunately,

• 4 winners - 2 men, 2 women (from Tony, J.T., Earl, Sandra, Natalie A., Sophie, Danni),

• 2 male pre-jurors (Caleb and Varner are almost guaranteed -- otherwise could include John Cody and/or Peter),

• 4 men and 4 women who have played twice/three times:
- 1 female is definitely Ciera/Abi/Kass, as above,
- 1 male is almost guaranteed to be Varner, as above,
and that leaves:
- 3 females: Cirie, Andrea and Monica Culpepper* (or only 2 of these, if Sandra is one of the winners),
- 3 males: Malcolm, Ozzy and Penner (or only 2 of these, if J.T. is one of the winners).

(*YMMV if you think it's possible to include Monica and Brad as a lone loved one pair: I wouldn't put it past the show.)

That leaves the following 3-5 post-merge one-time players, all still remaining from that original list:

• 1 male (if no J.T.) OR 2 males (if including J.T.) from these five: Tai, Jon M., LJ, Troyzan, Marty,

• 2 females (if no Sandra) OR 3 females (if Sandra) from these six: Aubry, Debbie, Sabrina, Chelsea, Sarah, Natalie B.

My personal preferred list at this point, knowing the above info, would be:

Men: Tony, Earl (the King of Fiji!), Caleb, Varner, Bill Posley, Malcolm, Ozzy, Penner, Marty + S33 male.
Women: Natalie A., Sandra (hate cutting Danni, but Sandra means no Monica!), Carolyn, Ciera, Cirie, Andrea, Aubry, Chelsea/Sabrina (I could go either way, but Sabrina would be great for extra diversity), Natalie B. + S33 female.

We'll see how close this is next week when Redmond reveals the names once they're in filming lockdown!

llehuty

We now have a much clearer picture of who the 20 returnees are going to be for S34 (thanks to insider Redmond, and some logical deductions). (NB: Redmond is NOT going to spoil any names of S33 returnees most likely until the season begins airing, if not their actual elimination.)

There are 8 men and 8 women (16 total) from the list of 31 names previously spoiled by Redmond a couple months ago, plus 4 new. Process of elimination, though, means Mike and Alexis have now been definitely cut from that list, short of any last-minute casting changes.

So the 4 new people are:

• 2 people from S33 - 1 man, 1 woman (will remain unspoiled)

• 1 mystery male pre-juror from post-HvV (Brad Culpepper* heavily speculated due to Second Chance shortlist... but would love for someone more random like Bill Posley -- he can get some Colton redemption!)

• 1 two-timer female who has been part of the jury (Ciera highly speculated, could be Abi, or Kass but they aren't as keen)

The remaining 8 men/8 women (all from original Redmond list) are:

• Only 1 person from WA -- a woman (Hali or Carolyn) -- this rules out Mike unfortunately,

• 4 winners - 2 men, 2 women (from Tony, J.T., Earl, Sandra, Natalie A., Sophie, Danni),

• 2 male pre-jurors (Caleb and Varner are almost guaranteed -- otherwise could include John Cody and/or Peter),

• 4 men and 4 women who have played twice/three times:
- 1 female is definitely Ciera/Abi/Kass, as above,
- 1 male is almost guaranteed to be Varner, as above,
and that leaves:
- 3 females: Cirie, Andrea and Monica Culpepper* (or only 2 of these, if Sandra is one of the winners),
- 3 males: Malcolm, Ozzy and Penner (or only 2 of these, if J.T. is one of the winners).

(*YMMV if you think it's possible to include Monica and Brad as a lone loved one pair: I wouldn't put it past the show.)

That leaves the following 3-5 post-merge one-time players, all still remaining from that original list:

• 1 male (if no J.T.) OR 2 males (if including J.T.) from these five: Tai, Jon M., LJ, Troyzan, Marty,

• 2 females (if no Sandra) OR 3 females (if Sandra) from these six: Aubry, Debbie, Sabrina, Chelsea, Sarah, Natalie B.

My personal preferred list at this point, knowing the above info, would be:

Men: Tony, Earl (the King of Fiji!), Caleb, Varner, Bill Posley, Malcolm, Ozzy, Penner, Marty + S33 male.
Women: Natalie A., Sandra (hate cutting Danni, but Sandra means no Monica!), Carolyn, Ciera, Cirie, Andrea, Aubry, Chelsea/Sabrina (I could go either way, but Sabrina would be great for extra diversity), Natalie B. + S33 female.

We'll see how close this is next week when Redmond reveals the names once they're in filming lockdown!

Hmmm, any guesses of what could be the theme of the season with that cast and number of people?

I was expecting a tribe of winners, but that could only be possible with 4 tribes, which sounds just crazy. I guess they could still do it somehow, but no idea of the theme. (Winners vs. Runner ups vs. Jury vs. Premerge?).

Other option is having one winner in each tribe but that would lead to very obvious first boots, I guess.

I guess they could also try with a themeless tribe splits, but no idea when was the last time they did that.

BowieZ

Banned
Hmmm, any guesses of what could be the theme of the season with that cast and number of people?

I was expecting a tribe of winners, but that could only be possible with 4 tribes, which sounds just crazy. I guess they could still do it somehow, but no idea of the theme. (Winners vs. Runner ups vs. Jury vs. Premerge?).

Other option is having one winner in each tribe but that would lead to very obvious first boots, I guess.

I guess they could also try with a themeless tribe splits, but no idea when was the last time they did that.
All the clues and Redmond's lack of info point toward there being no season theme, just All-Stars 2 (I mean, heaps of those players are definitely worthy of that title IMHO), and/or at most a gameplay twist theme as yet unknown, similar to Exile Island, Redemption Island, or One World. A common alternate suggestion is a season of pairs of "rivals" or secret pairs, where there may be some great added bonus for getting to the end together (and deflecting attention away from each other without it being obvious) which has a The Mole kinda vibe. It could honestly be anything.

Looking over the list, I do see a potential theme for tribe divisions, although a weak one.

One time players vs multi-time players, with each tribe having a male and female winner.

UberTag

Am I crazy or were there shenanigans from Probst during the Punch Board game? I think he had his own $25,000 card folded up that he switched into the hole that was punched to ensure charities had a big win after Rupert and Boston Rob sucked eggs at Lucky Seven and Most Expensive.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Am I crazy or were there shenanigans from Probst during the Punch Board game? I think he had his own $25,000 card folded up that he switched into the hole that was punched to ensure charities had a big win after Rupert and Boston Rob sucked eggs at Lucky Seven and Most Expensive.

If it wasn't for S&P, I would certainly question whether Probst had a card, or whether the board was juiced.

As it stands, i think TPiR just got incredibly, incredibly lucky

kirblar

S34 cast is out. Cast is really weird, this feels like a "Challenge" season on MTV, making me nervous about S33.

Apparently Natalie Anderson was dropped last minute w/ Sierra called in, and Earl/Sabrina couldn't play due to work. No idea on theme but apparently not a "Vs" season.

Andrea Boehlke S22 & 26
Aubry Bracco S32
Brad Culpepper S27
Caleb Reynolds S32
Ciera Eastin S27 & 31
Cirie Fields S12, 16 & 20
Debbie Wanner S32
Hali Ford S30
JT Thomas S18 & S20
Jeff Varner S2 & S31
Malcolm Freberg S25 & 26
Michaela Bradshaw S33
Ozzy Lusth S13, 16 & 23
Sandra Diaz-Twine S7 & 20
Sarah Lacina S28
Sierra Dawn-Thomas S30
Tai Trang S32
Tony Vlachos S28
Troyzan Robertson S24
Zeke Smith S33

llehuty

S34 cast is out. Cast is really weird, this feels like a "Challenge" season on MTV, making me nervous about S33.

Apparently Natalie Anderson was dropped last minute w/ Sierra called in, and Earl/Sabrina couldn't play due to work. No idea on theme but apparently not a "Vs" season.

Andrea Boehlke S22 & 26
Aubry Bracco S32
Brad Culpepper S27
Caleb Reynolds S32
Ciera Eastin S27 & 31
Debbie Wanner S32
Hali Ford S30
JT Thomas S18 & S20
Jeff Varner S2 & S31
Malcolm Freberg S25 & 26
Michaela Bradshaw S33
Ozzy Lusth S13, 16 & 23
Sarah Lacina S28
Sierra Dawn-Thomas S30
Tai Trang S32
Tony Vlachos S28
Troyzan Robertson S24
Zeke Smith S33

Not sure how I feel about spoiling the not aired season contestants.

Grexeno

Some of those people it's like.............why?

EDIT: Actually, I perfectly understand these choices (even if I don't necessarily agree with some of them) except for the Worlds Apart returnees.

Like, if you're going to bring back people from Worlds Apart, why those two people? Who on earth was going, "boy I can't wait to see ____ and _____ again."

That's a really interesting cast. It will be great to see some of those players back, especially
Ozzy, Cirie and Cierra. The latter is great eye candy.

Very late to the game but I finally caught up with the show and the thread over the weekend, yikes

I agree with the general sentiment that she isn't really a "bad" winner from a gameplay perspective but that the show didn't really do much in the way of convincing the viewers (# of confessionals and the dumb statistical metrics don't count). I'm willing to dip my toe in the water of the fan sentiment/kirblar's suggestion that the show wanted us to disagree with the winner, but we've had a bunch of winners that have been dumped on by fans and the public before. idk. There were absolutely some aspects of the editing this season that were unique compared to every other season in the history of the franchise, including the original.

The only real comparison I can think of in terms of outrage is Natalie White, and I honestly never thought I'd see it get that bad again. The Russell fans were a special breed of nasty when she won. But man Survivor nerds can be vicious, wow. It doesn't rival the worst of BB fans but yikes it's bad. Thankfully I think she anticipated the reaction (at least somewhat) and seems to be handling it fine.

This was also probably the worst "reunion" show yet, or maybe I just need a refresher. What an utter shitshow. Probst should not be allowed to produce these things anymore. Zero substance, nothing interesting, no actual talk with the contestants. Why the fuck would you overemphasize the gamebot stuff in the season and then fill the reunion with fluff?

Next season looks like total garbage, too. It feels like we're getting into TAR territory and I'm not far from dropping a show that I've been watching for more than half of my life.

kirblar

The entitlement was real with Jason/Scot - when they got beaten, they wanted to "punish" anyone involved w/ voting them out. The show fucked up putting them on- from day 1 those two were just intent on being shitty- Darnell getting voted out for being "too likable" was the start and it just kept going from there.

BowieZ

Banned
The entitlement was real with Jason/Scot - when they got beaten, they wanted to "punish" anyone involved w/ voting them out. The show fucked up putting them on- from day 1 those two were just intent on being shitty- Darnell getting voted out for being "too likable" was the start and it just kept going from there.
I'm sorry, but what's wrong with casting real people who are vengeful? There have been many vengeful contestants in the past who voted spitefully, and didn't vote for the winner (or in this case, did).

Aubry failed to get Cydney and Debbie's votes. She easily could have. AUBRY fucked up. It's as simple as that.

The onus is not on the show to cast people who will vote level-headedly, it's on the show to portray a story of ultimately how the winner won over the jury, and the show could EASILY have done that if they spiced up Aubry's shortcomings in the finale, and included ONE heartfelt personal confessional by Michele etc etc. (which are the job of on-site producers to educe).

Blaming anything on Jason or Scot flies in the face of what Survivor is.

kirblar

Because Jason/Scot were unholy terrors their entire time out there. They shit over everything from the start.

I don't find the shit w/ Alecia interesting to watch. I want it off my TV. I don't think it's a good thing to deliberately encourage.

This is my opinion. If you disagree, fine, but don't f'n tell me I can't have it.

Debbie's an example of what should be happening- Aubry fucks over Debbie, Debbie retaliates. That's a normal reaction.

The show didn't want to do it because they don't want to encourage chuckleheads like those two. They were portrayed as whiny selfish sore losers. I find that an accurate portrayal.

Survivor is a subjective game. People will have subjective opinions. Deal with it.

Andrea Boehlke S22 & 26
Aubry Bracco S32
Brad Culpepper S27
Caleb Reynolds S32
Ciera Eastin S27 & 31
Debbie Wanner S32
Hali Ford S30
JT Thomas S18 & S20
Jeff Varner S2 & S31
Malcolm Freberg S25 & 26
Michaela Bradshaw S33
Ozzy Lusth S13, 16 & 23
Sarah Lacina S28
Sierra Dawn-Thomas S30
Tai Trang S32
Tony Vlachos S28
Troyzan Robertson S24
Zeke Smith S33

Natalie Bolton missing the cut yet again. Is anyone even surprised at this point?

This is a bizarre cast. There are definitely some people I'm looking forward to seeing again like Sandra and Andrea. I like Ciera, Aubry and Debbie, but I feel like it's not a long enough layoff for them.

I'm not sure if I can handle Troyzan, Ozzy and Malcolm on one season.

Bizarre cast, and it's especially weird to waste Sandra on such a weird season.

Next season looks like total garbage, too. It feels like we're getting into TAR territory and I'm not far from dropping a show that I've been watching for more than half of my life.

Yep. I'm not reading all these spoiler-tagged posts, but if they're already hinting at how s33 ANd s34 turn out...I don't know, between the spoilers and a thoroughly lacklustre end to s.32, I'm starting to think I may end up skipping out on the next season, at least.

kirblar

Yep. I'm not reading all these spoiler-tagged posts, but if they're already hinting at how s33 ANd s34 turn out...I don't know, between the spoilers and a thoroughly lacklustre end to s.32, I'm starting to think I may end up skipping out on the next season, at least.
Nah, we have no idea re: S33? (at least, I've only seen one random spoiler and it's not related to the season's outcome/happens early on.)

BowieZ

Banned
Because Jason/Scot were unholy terrors their entire time out there. They shit over everything from the start.

I don't find the shit w/ Alecia interesting to watch. I want it off my TV. I don't think it's a good thing to deliberately encourage.

This is my opinion. If you disagree, fine, but don't f'n tell me I can't have it.

Debbie's an example of what should be happening- Aubry fucks over Debbie, Debbie retaliates. That's a normal reaction.

The show didn't want to do it because they don't want to encourage chuckleheads like those two. They were portrayed as whiny selfish sore losers. I find that an accurate portrayal.

Survivor is a subjective game. People will have subjective opinions. Deal with it.
Geez. You do realise everything I said was also my opinion, right? Or does one need to tag everything with an /IMHO?

It's my opinion that anybody can play Survivor and that's what makes it a social experiment. Michele won with those two people playing.

kirblar

Weve already established that stupid people shouldnt be on the show because theyre terrible and make the show not fun.

Manbabies lile Dan Jason and Scot should also be on that list.

Andrea Boehlke S22 & 26
Aubry Bracco S32
Brad Culpepper S27
Caleb Reynolds S32
Ciera Eastin S27 & 31
Debbie Wanner S32
Hali Ford S30
JT Thomas S18 & S20
Jeff Varner S2 & S31
Malcolm Freberg S25 & 26
Michaela Bradshaw S33
Ozzy Lusth S13, 16 & 23
Sarah Lacina S28
Sierra Dawn-Thomas S30
Tai Trang S32
Tony Vlachos S28
Troyzan Robertson S24
Zeke Smith S33

I now demand a friendship between
Tai and Tony. Give Tai Mark,mark II.

BowieZ

Banned
Weve already established that stupid people shouldnt be on the show because theyre terrible and make the show not fun.

Manbabies lile Dan Jason and Scot should also be on that list.
Huh. I enjoyed all three. I don't see what's wrong with any of them (especially Jason). I'd take a Dan or Scot over a boring beauty queen any day.

Top Bottom