• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 32: Kaôh Rng |OT| Anything that can Kaôh Rng, will.

I'm more disappointed that
Cirie Fields is back more than anything. I never liked her in her first season and she keeps coming back.

BowieZ

Banned
I'll take a "boring beauty queen" over someone saying "someone slap this woman and shut her up" any season.
That's the show's fault for showing those couple of 2-second comments from Dan's 35-day period, or at least, limiting any redeeming qualities surrounding that sequence while underscoring every comment he made with a sinister snare roll.

Based on his whole game, it appears to me Dan was a great, interesting, flawed, and indeed controversial character... and... so was Shirin... and Will... and Mike... etc. The season would have been better served by adequately portraying these shades of grey rather than exploiting Dan for a 2-episode cartoonish villain arc.

I don't approve of what Dan said but people are dark and flawed and interesting and I approve of a reality show on occasion shining a light on these real traits especially when they have an effect on the outcome of such a fascinating social experiment where starving people from different walks of life live together in close proximity.

/IMHO

/just in case anyone thought that I believed what I typed here was factual and not just my personal opinion which I do believe is valid just as anyone else's is

KennethMcnickle2.png

Kenneth McNickle
AGE: 33 | LOCATION: DENVER, CO | OCCUPATION: MASSAGE THERAPIST/MODEL
>Born 1983
>Gen X

Not really, I'd say

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
>Born 1983
>Gen X

Not really, I'd say

ehhhh. Us in that '83-'84 range definitely straddle the line. I don't identify at all with the early-mid 90s and later. I'm much more in tune with the late 70s types.

Assuming he has enough traits that the Survivor producers felt the same.

kirblar

ehhhh. Us in that '83-'84 range definitely straddle the line. I don't identify at all with the early-mid 90s and later. I'm much more in tune with the late 70s types.

Assuming he has enough traits that the Survivor producers felt the same.
There's two very distinct groups in the "Millenial" group- Generation Y and Generation Pewdiepie.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
In case anyone is wondering how they came up with the S34 cast:

http://insidesurvivor.com/the-rumor-mill-whats-the-story-with-survivor-season-34-13162

basically:

It was originally supposed to be a winners vs. best to never win season, but when people like Cydney, Kelley, Colleen, Greg, and Joe Anglim turned them down, they went back to the drawing board.

Then it turned into winners vs. jurors vs. pre jurors, and somewhere along the way they ditched that idea ultimately only chose 3 pre jurors to go back out.

The final cast was originally the cast we have now, but Natalie Anderson instead of SDT. Then in the last week, Natalie dropped out for reasons unknown and SDT was the only alternate they had on standby.

so really it's a mess

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
But I was born in 95 and don't relate to having a "PewDiePie childhood", that's a 2000+ (post-millennial) thing in my opinion.

I think the big difference is the early 80s kids remember / grew-up in the pre-internet / cell-phone world. The time before the dot-com boom.

I think that shapes a lot of things.

kirblar

But I was born in 95 and don't relate to having a "PewDiePie childhood", that's a 2000+ (post-millennial) thing in my opinion.
#Pewdiepiesnapchat was the original gen name from an earlier thread.

And yeah, S34 is a desperate attempt to get SOMETHING going after CvC fell apart.
I think the big difference is the early 80s kids remember / grew-up in the pre-internet / cell-phone world. The time before the dot-com boom.
That and being old enough to remember/understand 9/11 when it happened and how toxic things got after.

BowieZ

Banned
I don't see production ever having had 'Winner vs Jury vs Pre-Jury' as a theme. Not only does it make no sense and is completely unmarketable (well, okay, it's marketable, but terrible marketing IMO: it's not an interesting concept, has no message or idea, and even if there is, there'd be no way to boil it down in any simple snappy way, to get the message across in advertising)... but the cast was seemingly never there: only 5 pre-jurors were asked to the finals, and there were several runners-up (do these count as jurors?). (You can't tell me that if they needed a 6th pre-juror, they wouldn't have been able to find enough, as surely anyone in their right mind would've jumped at the chance.)

Perhaps of course they intended to make it a four-way split (winners vs runners-up vs jury vs pre-jury... which is even dumber) but they essentially had the numbers to make this happen, so it seems extremely unlikely that, had they wanted to, they weren't able to pull that off... getting 5 winners *might* be tricky but I mean, they apparently cut Mike later on (which is absolutely bizarre to me, but whatever), so it would seem they had whatever room they needed to manoeuvre for whatever theme they were planning.

My guess is (after Champions vs Challengers failed, if even a thing), that they simply cast as many great players and winners as they could, while sticking to some semblance of even gender... rather than this "big mess" everyone's assuming.

(Winners have always been even gender in a returnee season (All-Stars and Heroes vs Villains both had 2 of each, and Blood vs Water had 1 of each), so maybe that's just a pattern they like to stick to?) (Or maybe Mike simply pissed them off somewhere along the line.)

kirblar

People aren't assuming "big mess", it's obvious from the cast this is a random mishmash with no coherent theme where they were trying to salvage what they could. 6v6v6 was never happening tho, agreed.

There are a few questionable choices, but overall that list seems pretty solid. Ozzy was always my favorite so maybe I'm biased. Is there really a lot of hate toward it?

BowieZ

Banned
I take it we're not really worrying about S34 cast spoilers now, which seems reasonable. Although I'm trying to avoid knowing the 2 S33 returnees as that *may* spoil the season, so I guess can we agree to keep them under tags?

There are a few questionable choices, but overall that list seems pretty solid. Ozzy was always my favorite so maybe I'm biased. Is there really a lot of hate toward it?
'Casual' fan favorites get a lot of hate from the rabid online community (Reddit, Sucks), especially alpha males whom Jeff adores (or adored) and who have returned numerous times already (e.g. Ozzy, Rupert, and of course the Hantzes).

I personally really like Ozzy (especially in Cook Islands and Micronesia) and can separate him as a player from his bloated edit in South Pacific. He has a unique set of ideals and way of playing, and yes, maybe a little arrogance since the celebrity of his first appearance. But if edited properly and amongst the right cast, I have no qualms with seeing him a fourth time and seeing whether he can adjust his playing style to make it that one step further. I mean, he was *so* close... twice... one vote away in one season, and a few mere seconds of an immunity puzzle away in another... he's really an admirable contestant and hopefully he still has a hunger for winning, which will definitely add that extra dimension to a season full of greats and other hungry (literally and figuratively) players.

UberTag

Because this news from last week didn't make its way over here, these are the official tribe names and divisions for Survivor 34:
Game Changers – The Mamanuca Islands

MANA TRIBE {Blood Orange}

GUYS

Caleb Reynolds S32
Jeff Varner S2 & S31
Malcolm Freberg S25 & 26
Tony Vlachos S28
Troyzan Robertson S24

GALS

Aubry Bracco S32
Ciera Eastin S27 & 31
Hali Ford S30
Michaela Bradshaw S33
Sandra Diaz-Twine S7 & 20

NUKU TRIBE {Blue}

GUYS

Brad Culpepper S27
JT Thomas S18 & S20
Ozzy Lusth S13, 16 & 23
Tai Trang S32
Zeke Smith S33

GALS

Andrea Boehlke S22 & 26
Cirie Fields S12, 16 & 20
Debbie Wanner S32
Sarah Lacina S28
Sierra Dawn-Thomas S30

They did a pretty good job of keeping people who've played together apart in the early going in the Mana Tribe. Not so much with the Nuku Tribe where there's baggage. JT cast the deciding vote to send Cirie packing in Heroes vs. Villains... so they've definitely got history. And Cirie orchestrated the blindside of Ozzy in Fans vs. Favorites. This is a pretty bad draw for her if Ozzy wants to hold a grudge. He knows full-well what she's capable of.

Tai and Debbie played together briefly after the merge in Kaoh Rong but they should be copacetic as they never cast votes against one another.

Incidentally, filming of this season wrapped up yesterday. Weight loss photos should pop up within the week that should prove telling. We already have one pre-jury boot leaked via Snapchat/Reddit... so be mindful of stuff like that.

BowieZ

Banned
Is anyone else going to watch the new Australian Survivor starting in a couple of months?

It's most likely going to be 2 episodes a week which will help Survivor fans get their fix.

UberTag

Judging from the first wave of post-S34 filming social media shots, the conditions in Fiji this year were much more favorable than those in Cambodia.

kirblar

Is anyone else going to watch the new Australian Survivor starting in a couple of months?

It's most likely going to be 2 episodes a week which will help Survivor fans get their fix.
After seeing the first 6 minutes of the premiere, they've clearly got help from the US squad in the editing. https://www.reddit.com/r/survivorsp...stralian_survivor_episode_1_sneak_peek_first/

There are also some confirmed gameplay teases by the host that indicates people came to play out there - I think a thread might actually be warranted.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'm gonna try if I can find a reliable way to watch. The RHAP Patrons group should help with that.

I know the Australian version of TAR was really good before the jerks cancelled it.

maybe it's just the way they edit things now or my cynicism has actually consumed me to the point of me ceasing to be physically real but the cast seems super lame and uninteresting, and the fed lines are comically obnoxious.

in other news for the 2 people who still watch bb I work with a former BBUS cast member now, ama

lol

UberTag

Scoped out the interviews of the two castaways we'll be seeing a lot of over the next two seasons. I like both of 'em.

Will hold off on the others until we get closer to the premiere.

llehuty

Aussie Survivor E1 aired and is getting positive reactions. Did we want a separate thread for it?

Hmmm, maybe? Will it overlap with the american version?

Finished watching the first ep. Getting good vibes from the cast, a lot of Survivor enthusiasts in there. The host is a bit off in this ep, but I guess he will end up looking more comfortable. So far the show is very similar to the US edition, maybe a bit less dynamic? I'm also curious about how the length of the game will impact the show and the cast (55 days). The twist is
there is no twist, (for now). Hidden Immunity idols weren't even mentioned.

kirblar

Hmmm, maybe? Will it overlap with the american version?

Finished watching the first ep. Getting good vibes from the cast, a lot of Survivor enthusiasts in there. The host is a bit off in this ep, but I guess he will end up looking more comfortable. So far the show is very similar to the US edition, maybe a bit less dynamic? I'm also curious about how the length of the game will impact the show and the cast (55 days). The twist is
there is no twist, (for now). Hidden Immunity idols weren't even mentioned.
HIIs are there.

And they get played.

kirblar

I'm 20m in and this totally needs it's own thread, the production values are just like the US show. Will work on that tomorrow.

legend166

Is it airing in the US or are you watching it through other means?

I'm enjoying it so far, except for the music which is way over the top. There literally (and I mean that word) hasn't been a moment where there hasn't been background music. And it's usually too loud.

belushy

Banned
So I decided to pick Adam as my winner pick. Seems like he is a big favorite on Reddit right now. Hes pretty likable but I think he'll take some big risks. Watched the cast video and I like most of them.

I'll mention it in the new thread too, but I encourage everyone to check out http://tribal-council.com for a fun Survivor Fantasy League. You play against 14 other players, strangers or friends or both. This season, I got 12 friends with me in a league before two random people joined up. Still, I could compare scores with people not in my league, just not see their scores and active players in my Game Stats page.

You choose 8 castaways from this season who you think will do well, and keep 5 active and bench 3 before the episode starts EST. Then for the next week you can change around your active and benched players before the next episode starts. Players still in the game earn you points by finding an idol, winning immunity, blindsiding, winning the game, etc and lose you points by quitting, losing immunity, etc.

Check it out! There are still free leagues to join. It's full now, but I'm in the "Cambodia League." :)

Top Bottom