• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor: Heroes vs Villains - Thursdays at 8:00pm ET/PT (beginning Feb. 4th)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
pel1300 said:
Why is Danielle on the villain tribe?
Yeah, there's no reason except that she's kinda not really that likable.

whitehawk said:
I'm very tempted to try and sign up for survivor, except that I live in Canada, and apparently Canadians can't sign up for some reason =/
Citizenship test could be worth $1M.

Goldrush

After running out crying last time that the Show edit her to look evil, it's hilarious that Jerri is returning as a villain.

BowieZ

Banned
Goldrush said:
After running out crying last time that the Show edit her to look evil, it's hilarious that Jerri is returning as a villain.
:lol :lol That hadn't dawned on me. Hypocritical fame whore.

Codeblue

I just noticed that Candice is back. I don't understand. All she did on Cook Islands was make the incredibly dumb move to betray her strong alliance, forcing Yul and Ozzy to work together. She betrayed them not for strategic reasons, but because she wanted to spend more time with a guy on the other tribe. This failed because she kept getting sent to Exile anyway. So essentially all we saw of Candice was: Tag along with Jonathan into power position at Aitu (the dominating tribe), cast a shadow over Jonathan furthering her position, throwing it all away to make out with a guy at the other tribe, crying every episode on Exile Island, then getting voted out.

The situation of the Aitu 4 and the Foa Foa 4 were incredibly similar. Once you replace Ozzy with a rock (Jaison) you get the exact same dynamic. The only difference was that Aitu had smaller odds to overcome and could actually win a challenge. Yul played strategically, Becky socially, and Sundra was just kind of there.

BowieZ

Banned
Great article from New York Post.

An excerpt:

"So when it comes down to it, I think the advantage will have to go to being a villain, that's just my gut feeling. A villain will do whatever it takes to win the money. i.e. break alliances, throw a challenge, blindside alliances, etc. and like it or not, those bold moves, if made late in the game, can almost guarantee someone a spot in the final four,” said [Bobby Jon] Drinkard.

“A hero is not as likely to make those types of moves, and I'm afraid it's going to take those types of moves to win this season. A hero lives their life in Survivor based on camp life, winning challenges, fate, and for the most part, doing the right, or ethical, thing. I believe the heroes can outlast, and can outplay the villains, but for a hero to win this season they must outwit the villains, but again that's just my opinion. Regardless of who wins, I think it's going to be an action-packed season,” Drinkard added.

“Heroes are defined as clinquant, flashy, brave, strong, true to their word. This is not often the case but perception is reality in Survivor. The heroes have an advantage because people tend to trust them and in Survivor trust and ruthlessness are the two cornerstone pieces of the game,” said Coach.

“One would naturally think that being on the hero team would be an advantage, if you use the true definition of "hero" as your basis for selection. But no matter which side you're on, returning characters have egos the size of Texas. At least with villains, you know exactly what you're getting,” said [Jerri] Manthey.

“Hero. As time passed and my hair got longer and my beard thicker, the more I looked like Moses, and no one’s gonna vote out Moses,” said [Ethan] Zohn.

BowieZ

Banned
Did anyone watch the People's Choice Awards?

No?

Okay, well Survivor: HvV got its world premiere teaser last night. Bow down to INSANELY AWESOME CHEESINESS! :lol

S20_PCA_S_001.jpg

Official 2D logo unveiled:

53p9wg.png

Meanwhile, the new Survivor site has gone live complete with cast interviews. Intro to the cast members here with on-set video interviews at the bottom, which include Jeff's take on most cast members (written format here).

51486038.jpg

Where the hell is Yul? He's a god damn strategist Hero! they bring back a lot of people who aren't really memorable:( And what did sugar even do? All i remember is that her father died, i was expecting a lot of people from the older seasons. But there are notable people playing on both teams, can't wait:D

BowieZ said:
Have you seen S12 Exile Island?
refresh my memory, she kept getting sent to exile right?

jey_16

Banned
Codeblue said:
I just noticed that Candice is back. I don't understand. All she did on Cook Islands was make the incredibly dumb move to betray her strong alliance, forcing Yul and Ozzy to work together. She betrayed them not for strategic reasons, but because she wanted to spend more time with a guy on the other tribe. This failed because she kept getting sent to Exile anyway. So essentially all we saw of Candice was: Tag along with Jonathan into power position at Aitu (the dominating tribe), cast a shadow over Jonathan furthering her position, throwing it all away to make out with a guy at the other tribe, crying every episode on Exile Island, then getting voted out.

The situation of the Aitu 4 and the Foa Foa 4 were incredibly similar. Once you replace Ozzy with a rock (Jaison) you get the exact same dynamic. The only difference was that Aitu had smaller odds to overcome and could actually win a challenge. Yul played strategically, Becky socially, and Sundra was just kind of there.

Cook Islands was one of my favorites....i remember hating Candice so much (how is she classified as a Hero?), Yul was awesome and since the jury were sane, he actually won

in Samoa, the jury were insane, bitter and fell for Eric's stupid speech.....Natalie, wtf

cory

Banned
I watched seasons 1-4 religiously, then came back for All-Stars and never watched CBS apart from football and the occasional HIMYM. So I only recognize 4 people. I might watch this. Not live because Community's on.

Codeblue

I think Jerri will leave first if the villains lose, which they probably will since they seem pretty outclassed in the physical department.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ShyGuy said:
Bets on who's out first?

I tip any of the winners, my feeling is J.T. is out first if his tribe loses.

I have a hard time seeing that team losing early on to the scrubs on the villains team.

ToxicAdam

ShyGuy said:
Bets on who's out first?

I tip any of the winners, my feeling is J.T. is out first if his tribe loses.

I think last time they did All-stars a lot of the big guns got targeted early. So it wouldn't surprise me if Tom/Colby or Boston Rob/Jerri are among the first ones out.

Codeblue

I was looking at all the bios and I noticed that Russell hasn't changed at all:

Russell Hantz (37)

Tribe: Villains
Hometown: Dayton, Texas
Current Residence: Dayton, Texas
Personal Claim To Fame: “Starting my oil tankering service.”
Inspiration in Life: “My grandfather.”
Previous Finishes: Samoa: Runner-up
Favorite Past Moment: “Blindsiding Kelly.”
Previous Survivor He Respects Most: “I don’t respect any of them.”
Previous Survivor He Respects Least: “I don’t respect any of them.”
Why Did He Come Back? : “Because I have to put these kids in their place. I’m not done playing just yet!”

His entertainment value has not diminished.

MugthisNowWithLemon said:
Based on his attitude and emotion at the Samoa finale show (which aired after Heroes v. Villains was shot), I assume Russell didn't win HvsV.

CBS could've told him to act a certain way even if he knew he was one of the finalist to win HvsV. He wouldn't know if he actually won or not until the reunion show.

storybook77 said:
CBS could've told him to act a certain way even if he knew he was one of the finalist to win HvsV. He wouldn't know if he actually won or not until the reunion show.

True, he just seemed so depressed about not winning Samoa, that it seems rather unlikely he was in a position to win HvsV. What especially stood out was his desperation to get the title of "Sole Survivor."

True, he just seemed so depressed about not winning Samoa, that it seems rather unlikely he was in a position to win HvsV. What especially stood out was his desperation to get the title of "Sole Survivor."

It's possible with his ego being what it is, he would want to win both just to prove how badass he is.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Based on his attitude and emotion at the Samoa finale show (which aired after Heroes v. Villains was shot), I assume Russell didn't win HvsV.

This was my first thought when I saw him on the reunion show. Seems likely that he's probably not in the finals of HvsV.

2DMention

Banned
Where's Cao Boi? He would have made a good hero.

They brought back lots of hot chics. Stephanie is hotter than I remember her.

This was my first thought when I saw him on the reunion show. Seems likely that he's probably not in the finals of HvsV.

My thoughts exactly. Although he had an advantage in that no one's ever seen him play before.

It seems to me like none of the other contestants seem to watch the show tho.

Codeblue said:
I was looking at all the bios and I noticed that Russell hasn't changed at all:

Russell Hantz (37)

Tribe: Villains
Hometown: Dayton, Texas
Current Residence: Dayton, Texas
Personal Claim To Fame: “Starting my oil tankering service.”
Inspiration in Life: “My grandfather.”
Previous Finishes: Samoa: Runner-up
Favorite Past Moment: “Blindsiding Kelly.”
Previous Survivor He Respects Most: “I don’t respect any of them.”
Previous Survivor He Respects Least: “I don’t respect any of them.”
Why Did He Come Back? : “Because I have to put these kids in their place. I’m not done playing just yet!”

His entertainment value has not diminished.
What I'm curious about is how the other Survivors are going to react to him. For HvV, they aren't going to know who he is because this was filmed before the last season was shown.

NightHawk17 said:
Where the hell is Yul? He's a god damn strategist Hero! they bring back a lot of people who aren't really memorable:( And what did sugar even do? All i remember is that her father died, i was expecting a lot of people from the older seasons.

Yul works for the FCC; probably wasn't going to drop his dayjob for a Survivor stint.

Sugar and Randy hate each other, which pretty much vindicates the reasoning behind adding both to the show.

Still, I do agree that we could have used another guy on Tom's level. Chris or Aras could have worked, though Chris would basically have to quit his govt job. Hell, Ian could have came back for revenge on Tom. :lol

BowieZ

Banned
2DMention said:
I'd hit it.
And she'd hit you back, with her honor, heart and soul, integrity in tact, values forever, honor, integrity, morality, modesty, and a great deal of honor, for honor is the backbone of having sex because if you can't have sex with honor, DON'T HAVE SEX AT ALL! That's her motto and she lives by it. Every. SINGLE. DAY. And she will bring those qualities to having sex, groovin' on, keepin' havin' sex with honor, dancin' her way to orgasm, charmin' the heck off you, and she'd do it all with honor, heart, soul...

...PS you'll most probably have to get married first.

Codeblue

Of which, I would have liked to see Tom and Ozzy go against each other in these challenges. I still can't get over some of the glaring exclusions. I guess not everyone wants to come back for a third time though.

Crazymoogle said:
Yul works for the FCC; probably wasn't going to drop his dayjob for a Survivor stint.

Sugar and Randy hate each other, which pretty much vindicates the reasoning behind adding both to the show.

Still, I do agree that we could have used another guy on Tom's level. Chris or Aras could have worked, though Chris would basically have to quit his govt job. Hell, Ian could have came back for revenge on Tom. :lol
:( Damn he's been keeping busing, but you can't deny the fact that he's one of the best heroes nonetheless.

I guess people don't really wanna go back as much as you'd think they would

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Codeblue said:
Of which, I would have liked to see Tom and Ozzy go against each other in these challenges. I still can't get over some of the glaring exclusions. I guess not everyone wants to come back for a third time though.

Ozzy would kill Tom or anyone else at a water challenge. On dry land he was fairly average though. Tom vs Colby is a better match up.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
pel1300 said:
yay Tyson is back. That guy is hilarious.

He really was. He's basically a real life Dennis Reynolds.

And its crazy how little I remember of Candice. I mean I just read everything Code Blue said about he and I still don't remember any of it.

BowieZ said:
For those who have missed out on certain seasons, pretty much all episodes are fully availabe on YouTube. Below are the first parts of the first episodes of each season (with links to their subsequent parts/episodes in order readily apparent after clicking each initial link):

S1 Borneo
S2 The Australian Outback
S3 Africa
S4 Marquesas
S5 Thailand
S6 Amazon
S7 Pearl Islands - Panama
S8 All-Stars
S9 Vanuatu - Islands of Fire
S10 Palau
S11 Guatemala - The Maya Empire
S12 Panama - Exile Island
S13 Cook Islands
S14 Fiji
S15 China
S16 Micronesia - Fans vs. Favorites
S17 Gabon - Earth's Last Eden
S18 Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands
S19 Samoa

(Some of them have only become available in literally the last week so I'm not sure if all episodes of all seasons are actually up just yet.)

I recommend ALL of them, except Fiji. Thailand and Africa are okay, but are my two other least favorites. The rest are awesome in their own ways. Seasons 7-16 (except for 14) are what I consider the show's Golden Era.

This is awesome, I finally get to watch Coach's meteoric rise to mediocrity. I skipped that season because the hot chick with huge boobs got voted off first. That happens way too often. Take that for what you will whoever was saying people don't really care about the bikini rule.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Son of Godzilla said:
This is awesome, I finally get to watch Coach's meteoric rise to mediocrity. I skipped that season because the hot chick with huge boobs got voted off first. That happens way too often. Take that for what you will whoever was saying people don't really care about the bikini rule.

My brother stopped watching Vanuatu because they voted off Dolly.

And that list is awesome. Thank you BowieZ!

I don't know why CBS doesn't just put them up on Hulu if they aren't going to release the rest of them on DVD.

BowieZ

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
And that list is awesome. Thank you BowieZ!
NP guys :)

Dolly from Vanuatu is probably my all-time runner-up, but damn, Sydney from Tocantins is without doubt THE greatest beauty to ever grace the series. You cannot debate it. It cannot be debated.

sydneyreunion.jpg

Oh, and in case you weren't aware, Spencer (Tocantins) is dating Todd (China). I think it's pretty cute :p
18634_1333104089791_1296705753_994524_6028729_n.jpg

More pics from last weekend's massive Survivor reunion party can be seen in this thread over at SurvivorSucks.com :)

Fairplay:

20100110_233.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Got into watching Tocantins again myself (on YouTube, up to episode 3 now).

So I was thinking... Is it feasible or practical to, like, hold some sort of unofficial GAF Survivor season rewatching, in anticipation of Heroes vs. Villains? You know, if people are up to it and have a half a day here or there free, we could all like press play on an automated playlist at the same time (taking a lunch break or something halfway :p).

Thoughts? And if so, which seasons would people be interested in seeing (whether they've seen it before or not)?

FWIW, here's the list again of which seasons have which Heroes/Villains:

BowieZ said:
Breakdown by Season
S1 Borneo - none
S2 Australian Outback - Colby, Jerri
S3 Africa - none
S4 Marquesas - Boston Rob
S5 Thailand - none
S6 Amazon - none
S7 Pearl Islands - Rupert, Sandra
S8 All-Stars - Colby, Jerri, Boston Rob, Rupert
S9 Vanuatu - none
S10 Palau - Stephenie, Tom
S11 Guatemala - Stephenie
S12 Panama - Cirie, Danielle
S13 Cook Islands - Candice, Parvati
S14 Fiji - none
S15 China - Amanda, Courtney, James
S16 Micronesia: Fans vs Favorites - Amanda, Cirie, James, Parvati
S17 Gabon - Randy, Sugar
S18 Tocantins - Coach, J.T., Tyson
S19 Samoa - Russell

(Seasons where returning castaways originally appeared are bolded above.)

Well, I just finished Palau, and I gotta say, Tom is - or, at least, was - a beast. Single-handedly won the tribal immunity challenges against a team of mindless hardbodies (it seemed like the casting director for that season was an adolescent girl; honestly, almost half the people were overly-muscled or overly-blonde hospitality workers and acting-wannabies from California) and completely dominated the individual immunity challenges. Not only a tough guy, but also quite smart - although he lacked strategic acumen, especially when it came to his "alliance". Totally deserved the win.

I mean, the way he torched Bobby Jon - a guy who's clearly super-determined - at every turn, despite being close to twice his age, was awe-inspiring. It's been a couple years now; surely he won't be able to compete in much the same way, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom