• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Australian Open Tennis Championships (Melbourne, Jan. 14-27)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Not AO related but Radwanska beat Cibulkova 60 60 in the Sidney final. Dear oh dear.

Wasn't even aware she was playing that tournament. Great start of the season. And finally beating Na Li should help her considering the pretty tough draw she got for AO.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Cmon fed. As an aussie, I can't stand tomic. Want to see the great man win one before he fades away but I can't see it happening with his draw.

Globox_82

Banned
Novak vs Roger final would be something special....

Delpo can't beat andy not on this surface. I wish he could since he is one of my favorite players but no.

5-1 for andy. Delpo beat him on clay.
http://tennis.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/110026-117324.html
Last time they played in 09 aka best Delpo year. Delpo doesn't like to play against guys that return ball well, like andy, ferrer, novak. That match is must see either way

MIMIC

Banned
ESPN made their picks for the winner

Men
Winner: Djokovic (10), Murray
Sleeper: Janowicz (3), Raonic (2), Tomic (2), Dimitrov, Almagro, Anderson, Nishikori
Toughest road: Tipsarevic (6), Gasquet, Ferrer, Federer, Berdych, Tsonga

Women:
Winner: Serena (8), Sharapova, Azarenka, Radwanska
Sleeper: Pavlyuchenkova (3), Stevens (3), Cibulkova, Tatishvili, Petrova, Bartoli, Barthel
Toughest road: Wozniacki (6), Kvitova (3), Errani, Stosur

Also:

http://tenngrand.com/2013/01/11/facebook-chat-players-discuss-the-australian-open-draw/

7dPhi.jpg

IFivy.jpg

rrhUi.jpg

rG19V.jpg

rLa6S.jpg

gQj6n.jpg

u4GFc.jpg

q5C4p.jpg

bu8rH.gif
bu8rH.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Rough draw for Fed. Hope he can make his way through it, but it's looking pretty easy for Djoker. Also would like to see Delpo make the semis. Won't happen though :( Hope Grigor can make a good showing as well (please?).

Women's draw I'd like to see Radwanska in the final, but I doubt it. She is playing really well so far this year though (hasn't dropped a set through two tourneys). I'm assuming Serena will win, and I'd def prefer a Serena/Radwanska final over Azarenka/Radwanska since Azarenka seems to steamroll Aga ever since the grunting complaint.

Lol so unfunny.

I will never forget Blake and Young's match at the 08 US Open. One of the most hilarious and enjoyable matches I've ver witnessed.

So I checked the AO score tracker just now and apparently Team Dora is playing Team Spongebob. WTF, is this some kids day shit? And why can't I watch this match?

szaromir

Banned
Get ready to mute your TV sets, because Michelle Larcher De Brito just qualified for the Open!

Luckily there are 63 first round matches without her. Hopefully Sharapova and Azarenka lose early as well so I can enjoy the second week without their ridiculous fake shrieking.

szaromir

Banned

Peru

As if those guys are ever mentioned for their grunting here except by me.

Different athletes use different techniques to bring out their max energy potential.. Shocking!

Your dumb "fake" comment makes it out to be useless voodoo. There's a reason ten out of ten javelin and discus throwers grunt loudly. What you've learnt as a kid you can't unlearn.

szaromir

Banned
Your dumb "fake" comment makes it out to be useless voodoo. There's a reason ten out of ten javelin and discus throwers grunt loudly. What you've learnt as a kid you can't unlearn.
There's footage of Azarenka playing when 13 or 14 and not making a single noise (there have also been senior matches where she stopped shrieking midway through the match). Sharapova also didn't shriek in that Wimbledon final.

So yeah, it's totally fake.

Peru

You're beyond grasping at straws there. There's also been moments where Nadal didn't dig out his shorts from his ass but that doesn't mean it's not in his nature. They're not robots, different days affect people differently.

szaromir

Banned
You're beyond grasping at straws there. There's also been moments where Nadal didn't dig out his shorts from his ass but that doesn't mean it's not in his nature. They're not robots, different days affect people differently.
You're beyond reasoning. Well it's not surprise as clay is your favorite surface because Sharapova became successful on it midway through her career.If she stopped shrieking tomorrow I can bet you'd be against it.

The fact that Azarenka scream that ridiculous banshee noise in the first 20 minutes of a match and then doesn't need to do it all of a sudden says it all, really. Or how she stops her prolonged shriek when she realizes the ball is going long or into the net.

Peru

Lol you're stuck on the fact that I've enjoyed watching my favorite the most on her favorite surface the past two years? Is this a foreign concept?

I've given my two cents on prolonged shrieks that extend across the net, they're a different thing.

If she stopped shrieking tomorrow I can bet you'd be against it.

Absolutely untrue, but when you're out of arguments you have to resort to fantasizing.

szaromir

Banned
Lol you're stuck on the fact that I've enjoyed watching my favorite the most on her favorite surface the past two years? Is this a foreign concept?
Yes it is for a normal tennis fan. One should prefer a surface based on a style of tennis that is played on it, not which babe doll is currently the most successful on it.

Absolutely untrue, but when you're out of arguments you have to resort to fantasizing.
Well when you've admitted to have such flexible views in other aspects, it's not unrealistic to envision you changing your opinion depending on what Sharapova does.

Peru

It blows my mind that a throwaway comment about my newfound anticipation for the clay season has stuck with you that deeply.

Peru

If you have a favorite in any given sport you're saying you don't enjoy the circumstances where they perform the best? Are you for real?

I don't even remember what I said. Clearly enthusiasm over a favorite doing well is not something you've experienced, but
when you're cheering on an athlete who's struggled getting back in the big game, saying that her new best surface is your new favorite surface is probably the least crazy of outbursts following 100 other things like 'I care more about this victory than anyone in my family' - these are things you say when you're a sports fan.

For the record my favorite surface is a fast hardcourt. However clay season still brings the best chances of victory and joy in 2013 as in 2012.

szaromir

Banned
If you have a favorite in any given sport you're saying you don't enjoy the circumstances where they perform the best? Are you for real?

I don't even remember what I said. Clearly enthusiasm over a favorite doing well is not something you've experienced, but
when you're cheering on an athlete who's struggled getting back in the big game, saying that her new best surface is your new favorite surface is probably the least crazy of outbursts following 100 other things like 'I care more about this victory than anyone in my family' - these are things you say when you're a sports fan.

For the record my favorite surface is a fast hardcourt. However clay season still brings the best chances of victory and joy in 2013 as in 2012.

Yes I'm for real, I'm fan of performances first and foremost. I don't like Nadal but he's just brilliant on clay and I don't mind that he spanks players that I like. Nonetheless clay is my least favorite surface because it forces baseline grinding much more than other surfaces which is not my preferable style of tennis.

Globox_82

Banned

MIMIC

Banned
I used to hate Tomic, but he is trolling so hard that I can't help but laugh. I mean, damn.

Tomic: Federer not assured third round
Federer intimated the 20-year-old Australian shouldn't be looking too far ahead in the men's singles draw in Melbourne, despite many tipping the pair to face off in the round-of-32.

But fresh from winning his maiden ATP Tour title in Sydney, Tomic said the Swiss maestro should also watch his own back to make it deep into the first week.

"Well, if he (Federer) gets that far," Tomic responded when asked if he believed he could beat the 17-time major winner.

"The first round is my goal, to beat this guy (first-round opponent Leonardo Mayer). I do struggle against some guys out there. I don't know how this guy can play. If the possibility comes for me to win that first match, I'll look for my next round, which is also tough.

"I would love to get in that position to play Roger in the third round. He has to get there as well. You don't know what can happen. Tennis is a funny sport. So we'll see."

Despite being cautious at facing Argentine Mayer on Tuesday, Tomic added that taking on the world No.72 - who has failed to win a main-draw match in Melbourne in three attempts - would be a positive experience.

"I think it's good I haven't played him or hit with him," Tomic said of Mayer.

"It can be a difficult match. It's not easy playing the first round of a grand slam. Everyone is ready to go for the first slam, so you don't know what to expect.

"I've got to come out there and play the tennis I've been playing the last few weeks, then I give myself the best chance to win."

And despite getting a few local fans on side with his tournament win in the Harbour City and an unbeaten singles run at the Hopman Cup in Perth earlier in January, Tomic said Melbourne was his top priority this season.

"This is our first grand slam. This is where you want to do the best. I want to do as best as I can for this tournament, so I'm going to be ready on Tuesday. I'm going to keep going and try to win as many matches as I can," he said.

"Obviously I'm really confident. I haven't lost a match yet (in 2013).

"It's a good opportunity to use something like that and I'm going to use it."
Sportal

Cccxj.gif
Cccxj.gif

Queue two weeks of trying to look down girls tops every single point.

It isn't even subtle anymore.

Am I the only one annoyed by it?

It is as I feared. Benneteau wins the first set.
Yeah I just saw. :(

It's best-of-five though so nothing's over until it's over. Bennetau's a good player and is seeded so expecting Dimitrov to steamroll him in 3 is probably a bit unrealistic.

I'm all for cleavage in general. But the constant effort I find it creepy.
You're referring to the cameramen? I've watched a good amount of WTA and I can't say I've really noticed many gratuitous shots if any at all really, perhaps I'm not paying enough attention..

Anyways looks like Sharapova's about to double bagel this chick lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom