• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wooo, Ninninger summer special came out.

And I thought I wouldn't have a ninninger episode to watch today! Thank you, OT!

Tiu Neo

Wait, now it occurred to me... There is a chance that Jiraiya will be part of the Power Rangers Canon, in some way.

(Kinda like RX, which was confusing for me back then, since it WAS RX, but at the same time it wasn't)

Changeman, National Kid, Jaspion, Jiraiya, Jiban, Flashman. Black (and Black RX) is in licensing hell for unknown reasons. Garo was still being licensed apparently, and up for streaming channels and DVD release since they didn't believe traditional TV would air it.

Yeah, can't see any current TV channels airing this sort of stuff nowadays. Can you imagine the craziness of seeing something like Garo or Gaim after a biblical soap opera on Record? Hahah.

Or maybe someone licensed Kamen Rider Black and RX for a DVD release! :D ...hah, I wish. Well, hope the rest of them releases on Netflix soon, anyway.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait, now it occurred to me... There is a chance that Jiraiya will be part of the Power Rangers Canon, in some way.

(Kinda like RX, which was confusing for me back then, since it WAS RX, but at the same time it wasn't)

It's funny you bring up Black RX in PR since that really only applies to countries that aired it. We never got Kamen Rider of any kind, so to us this Masked Rider was a new hero with an annoying voice.

But yeah I don't see us getting Jiraiya at all. We might see a return of the Alien Rangers and Ninja Storm Rangers since those shuriken were used often, but Jiraiya is likely not happening.

It's not going to be a Beetleborgs situation where they suddenly bring in Janperson as a comic book character.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wooo, Ninninger summer special came out.

And I thought I wouldn't have a ninninger episode to watch today! Thank you, OT!

I was hoping for Ghost on Sunday for once though...now O-T's down though.

I guess we might be getting Surprise Future soon too, which I've heard is apparently W-movie tier.

Tiu Neo

It's funny you bring up Black RX in PR since that really only applies to countries that aired it. We never got Kamen Rider of any kind, so to us this Masked Rider was a new hero with an annoying voice.

But yeah I don't see us getting Jiraiya at all. We might see a return of the Alien Rangers and Ninja Storm Rangers since those shuriken were used often, but Jiraiya is likely not happening.

It's not going to be a Beetleborgs situation where they suddenly bring in Janperson as a comic book character.

I tought it could be some Ninjor-like role, but yeah, he only shows up on one episode. :(

Anyway...

Ninninger Movie

Nice seeing them acting as ninjas for once, infiltrating the castle. The fights where they used their powers were cool too. And, of course, Shinobimaru and Rodeomaru.

Everything that was not that... meh.

BatDan

Ninninger za Movie: The Dinosaur Lord - A Splendid Ninja Tale!

Splendid would not be the first thing I call this movie. Bland is more like it.
There were some damn fine action scenes, and it was nice to see ninjas be ninjas. But the story was just not interesting, I didn't care for the Drunkosaur or Dinomaru. Kind of weird that Dinomaru wasn't incorporated into the main series. Then again, SafariGaOh was absent from the ToQger main series.

I noticed they used both brands of foot soldier. The ones with the cone hats they stopped using after a few episodes, and the horned ones they used for majority of the series. Kind of weird.

I hear Surprise Future is soooo much better though. Can't wait for that to go up.

Byk4aZsCQAAbAxF.jpg:large

I'm not sure how I feel about this 6th Zyuohger design

Tiu Neo

This is the year Sentai is finally gonna be good again!

The Sentai Cycle.

But yeah, this looks cool. I'm ok if this ends up being another Ninninger, where the fights are ok, but the story is meh, but I hope that's not the case.

The characters also look promising. If they can make Red a bit less of an idiot fired up type, it would be good.

WarRock

This interview with Ninja Red is amazing:
I participated as a motion capture actor in Resident Evil 4 as Leon and Sephiroth in Final Fantasy VII. Also I starred as Harlock in space pirate CAPTAIN HARLOCK.

TN: How was working with Kane Kosugi, who could not speak Japanese?

TO: I studied English while he studied Japanese. We found out that friendship and justice knows no borders.

TN: Please tell us about your other activities like @tokusatsuhero, and Sasuraido from Flare Factory, as well as your efforts to provide support to earthquake victims.

TO: It is precisely in times like this that a hero should be there. But I don’t have enough strength or courage, that’s why I want to help everyone to awaken the hero we all have in our hearts.

Tiu Neo

Watching Decade. On episode 5.

Dunno about Kuuga, but Kiva... It's like they took the worst of the series and made two episodes of it. They even had Wataru's actor on the first episode! No Ootoya! What is the sense of making anything Kiva without Ootoya? Couldn't they get any actors? It's the series right before this one! Ok, I get it, parallel universe, but... eh.

At least the BEST FANGIRE, the puppet guy, was there. For five minutes.

Hope it gets better. Hope they don't fuck up Kabuto, Black and RX.

Dunno about Kuuga, but Kiva... It's like they took the worst of the series and made two episodes of it. They even had Wataru's actor on the first episode! No Ootoya! What is the sense of making anything Kiva without Ootoya? Couldn't they get any actors? It's the series right before this one! Ok, I get it, parallel universe, but... eh.

I think they handled Black and Black RX decently, but not a lot of people share that opinion.

Tiu Neo

Decade Kabuto actually had a solid premise.

That's nice. I'm ok with what they are doing - kinda like retellings of the story with different actors/characters. My problem with Kiva was mostly how they used only the bad parts of the series to do that.

Sentai cycle broke when we got ToQger and Ninninger back to back.

Well, that's the new one! The worst kind, the kind were we always put all our hopes on the new series.

(And really, the old one existed since when? Magi -> Bouken? I liked both Gokaiger and Go Busters a lot, too... but yeah, Busters was less popular, from what I see.)

NeonZ

Black and Black RX are different from the others since they basically attempt to keep them as close to the original as possible, aside from the twist of a Black existing independently from RX. They even refused to recast Kazumi no Joe after his actor didn't want to return, although this leads to some awkward scenes where he keeps being referenced in spite of never appearing on screen.

Otoya's actor returns later, although it's basically the most underwhelming past actor appearance, since he plays an AU Otoya who has the same surface personality, but ends up kind of lame in spite of that.

One of my favorite minor characters from Kiva.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Actually watched Decade just as I was getting to the Kamen Rider series, I had already watched W and OOO was still airing.

Strangely Decade was easy to watch despite I was a total noob to the Kamen Rider series.

BatDan

Power Rangers #0 wasn't half bad at all, worst part was the lack of a proper toku monster design.

It was also short. Hopefully the actual issue #1 is longer.

Yeah, the monster looked more Pacific Rim than Power Rangers.

WarRock

Power Rangers #0 wasn't half bad at all, worst part was the lack of a proper toku monster design.
Eh, the page where Kimberly rescues the cars annoyed me.

The cars disappeared, but the way her Zord is positioned through the page implies you are following its entire flying arc, so it's hard to believe she just put them in the next part of the bridge.

The Megazord seems like it was traced from the frame where Kimberly flies off in the last frame.

But yeah, that was cool.

Top Bottom