• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

ZyuOhger 1
Pretty nice first episode! Kind of fast paced but introduced things interestingly enough. The cast looks like it'll have a nice dynamic, and the mech combination sequence was great!

Oh, and the character that Kaixa's actor voices appears.

Tiu Neo

Didn't understand almost anything, but Zyuohger looks cool. The mecha in action looks good, so much better than the impression the toy pics gave.

delSai

Uh hi!
I've just finished Kamen Rider Drive and Gaim a while ago and i'm not sure what to watch next, i have my eyes on W but that's only because of the opening song that's amazing lol. Maybe you guys can share some opinions on W and help me decide which Kamen Rider to watch next.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Uh hi!
I've just finished Kamen Rider Drive and Gaim a while ago and i'm not sure what to watch next, i have my eyes on W but that's only because of the opening song that's amazing lol. Maybe you guys can share some opinions on W and help me decide which Kamen Rider to watch next.

W is one of my favorites. If you like Drive you might like this since it's by the same writer. the story is a little more dispersed throughout rather than kicking in halfway though like Drive.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Uh hi!

W is amazing, watch it immediately.

WillyFive

Uh hi!

W is a good show, go for it.

After that, watch it's spiritual sequel Fourze.

Chorazin

I'm new to these shows, but I'm really enjoying KR Ghost! I started Agito and...wow, that's different feel entirely. Is Drive or Gaim more like Ghost?

Teach me TokuGAF!

I'm new to these shows, but I'm really enjoying KR Ghost! I started Agito and...wow, that's different feel entirely. Is Drive or Gaim more like Ghost?

Teach me TokuGAF!
Drive is closer to Ghost, though it's still fairly different. Gaim is more like Ryuki, which is the show that came after Agito.

They're both really good though. Gaim is probably the better of the two.

delSai

I'll keep visiting this thread from now on while catching up with all those Kamen Rider series and to talk about the new Ghost episodes.

W is one of my favorites. If you like Drive you might like this since it's by the same writer. the story is a little more dispersed throughout rather than kicking in halfway though like Drive.

W is amazing, watch it immediately.

W is a good show, go for it.

After that, watch it's spiritual sequel Fourze.

I guess i know what to watch next, thanks guys!

Chorazin

Drive is closer to Ghost, though it's still fairly different. Gaim is more like Ryuki, which is the show that came after Agito.

They're both really good though. Gaim is probably the better of the two.

Thanks, gonna give Drive a shot instead of sticking with Agito. Maybe I'll come back to it in the future.

Teach me TokuGAF!

Agito is one of the early Heisei Kamen Rider shows. That's when the show was less about selling the toys, so the plots tended to be a bit darker. 555/Blade is when the toyetic shift starts to happen, but the shows still retain the almost soap opera-ish tone.
Dark Heisei
  • Kuuga
  • Agito
  • Ryuki
  • Blade
Hibiki is the breakpoint, an anniversary series for Kamen Rider creator Shotaro Ishinomori's death and it never quite came together, due to staff changes.

Kabuto is the first real show where you start to feel that the writers are having to write around the toys and there's a focus on making the tone far lighter than before. Kamen Rider will occasionally go to dark places, but its played up more as a kid show.
Light Heisei
  • Kabuto
  • Den-O
  • Kiva
  • Decade
Heisei Phase 2 (Neo-Heisei)
  • W
  • OOO
  • Fourze
  • Wizard
  • Gaim
  • Drive
  • Ghost
Gaim is probably the closest we've gotten to "Dark Heisei" in tone since Hibiki, while still being very strong in the toy aspect. If you like Ghost, pick up any of the Light or Neo Heisei shows: W, Fourze, and Drive are at the top of my list. Wizard and Decade are near the bottom.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
so how's zyuohger

First ep was really solid. They seem to have a bigger budget this year compared to previous year's first eps. The special effects were actually pretty good? (Just thinking back to the horrible train battle from the first ep of ToQ...)

They finally cast a good red, supporting cast so far seems pretty good? White is super cute.

Soundtrack seems to be a big step up, opening makes for a great insert, super hype. The ending song is ehhhhhhhhhhh, not sure if it's gonna be that popular. It's basically based on animal puns, which in my house didn't really fly lol.

We'll see if they are able to keep this momentum going though.

shaowebb

Happy Valentine's Day.

ZpaSjGD.gif

I made a spare for me to shop the face of people onto the dude and girl. Maybe put James Chen's face on the guy and Cammy's face on the girl and shop the belt to look like the SFV box before it shoots out the condom...

Tiu Neo

Decade vs Dai Shocker.

They tease Shadowmoon on the episode before the movie.
Then there is one guy which the name is literally Moon Shadow in japanese.

Hm. What a surprise,
he is Shadowmoon!

(The movie is actually very cool, lots of fanservice.)

NeonZ

Decade vs Dai Shocker.

They tease Shadowmoon on the episode before the movie.

Technically, the movie somehow is supposed to take place after the Amazon arc, before the final one (even though like usual the episode ends with the next world painting dropping). There's a scene in the ending of the Amazon arc taken directly from the movie.

Tiu Neo

Technically, the movie somehow is supposed to take place after the Amazon arc, before the final one (even though like usual the episode ends with the next world painting dropping). There's a scene in the ending of the Amazon arc taken directly from the movie.

I actually watched it after the Amazon arc, since we watch the movies on the weekends - (they take a bit more time to watch).

I like how it gave Decade a bit more plot than "Travel Worlds, Solve Things". W looks cool, too. Next time I chose the series, I'll pick him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hearing that one of the main guys in charge of Over-Time really liked Zyuohger. This bodes well.

vareon

Decade's Amazon was embarrassing. I wonder what made them to have an Amazon episode, of all Riders, after the amazing Black/Black RX arc, recast Amazon with a weak-ass model, and put it as the penultimate arc of the series, basically killing the build-up needed for the finale in a series that needs more episodes.

NeonZ

Decade's Amazon was embarrassing. I wonder what made them to have an Amazon episode, of all Riders, after the amazing Black/Black RX arc, recast Amazon with a weak-ass model, and put it as the penultimate arc of the series, basically killing the build-up needed for the finale in a series that needs more episodes.

Amazon was the favorite of someone from the staff, although I can't remember who it was. That's also why Amazon gets one of the the longest fighting scenes against Decade in the movie.

The actor for the AU version of Amazon in the tv episodes was chosen because he was Japanese-Peruvian, which kind of fits with Amazon's backstory (although the original was just Japanese). But, yes, it was obviously a bad choice as far as casting goes.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

A..amazon...

How do you mess that up?

BatDan

I just realized the Zyuohger opening is going to get weird when the Sixth shows up.
Then again, that didn't stop Magiranger.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
the impression you guys have for zyuohger is good, I hope it lasts throughout the season (unlike Nin)

he even lacks the enthusiasm

also the setting was ripe for building but they rushed through it too

javadoze

"ah-meh-zon"

Chorazin

Agito is one of the early Heisei Kamen Rider shows. That's when the show was less about selling the toys, so the plots tended to be a bit darker. 555/Blade is when the toyetic shift starts to happen, but the shows still retain the almost soap opera-ish tone.
Dark Heisei
  • Kuuga
  • Agito
  • Ryuki
  • Blade
Hibiki is the breakpoint, an anniversary series for Kamen Rider creator Shotaro Ishinomori's death and it never quite came together, due to staff changes.

Kabuto is the first real show where you start to feel that the writers are having to write around the toys and there's a focus on making the tone far lighter than before. Kamen Rider will occasionally go to dark places, but its played up more as a kid show.
Light Heisei
  • Kabuto
  • Den-O
  • Kiva
  • Decade
Heisei Phase 2 (Neo-Heisei)
  • W
  • OOO
  • Fourze
  • Wizard
  • Gaim
  • Drive
  • Ghost
Gaim is probably the closest we've gotten to "Dark Heisei" in tone since Hibiki, while still being very strong in the toy aspect. If you like Ghost, pick up any of the Light or Neo Heisei shows: W, Fourze, and Drive are at the top of my list. Wizard and Decade are near the bottom.

Damn, thanks dude! I like the lighter shows, so I'm gonna check all those out. I'm a few episodes into Drive and this is more like it. I kinda like how fucking blatant the toy placement is for some reason.

Tiu Neo

Decade is kind like a rollercoaster, that was only another down for the series. But yeah, Takaharu's actor deserves an Oscar, compared to Amehzon.

I'm starting Blade. What am I getting myself into?

EDIT: I just got up to ONDURU RURAGITTAN DISUKAA!? I don't even get why it's so funny, but it is.

delSai

Watched the first 4 episodes of Kamen Rider W, so far i enjoy it. Characters are cool and the soundtrack is godlike.

Tiu Neo

First few episodes in both Dairanger and Megaranger, while I wait for Imagination Station to finish subbing GoGoV.

First few episodes in, Dairanger is pretty much a mid point between Zyuranger (A series I don't like too much) and Kakuranger (A series that I like a lot). I'll wait and see how it goes, but at least the fights and monsters are cool. I like how, just like Kakuranger, each monster has his human form with a well defined personality. Wish more sentai did that.

Megaranger... It's a bit funny how it's different from In Space, heh. Actually, makes me admire In Space even more. The villains... actually remind me a lot of 80s tokusatsu villains, which is cool. Proto-Fourze as a Sentai sounds right for it, a lot of similarities on the first few episodes.

BatDan

Anyone competent subbing Blade? I've heard something about it but I don't know the exact details.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Threads like the one in OT about the one Japanese actress always make me sort of anxious about liking Tokusatsu when the industry seems pretty fucked. I bet there's a lot of creepy shit the girls (probably the guys too, honestly) go through behind the scenes. I know there's a ton of rumors about what happened to Hana from Den-O, which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed her.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Threads like the one in OT about the one Japanese actress always make me sort of anxious about liking Tokusatsu when the industry seems pretty fucked. I bet there's a lot of creepy shit the girls (probably the guys too, honestly) go through behind the scenes. I know there's a ton of rumors about what happened to Hana from Den-O, which is unfortunate since I really enjoyed her.

Don't forget Shinken Red literally living on water because he got paid so poorly.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Its no secret. Drive's actor came out pretty publically (on tv) about his being underpaid. Kind of funny cause he was on a show last night and they replayed the clip.

Top Bottom