• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh yeah, anyone who's not paying attention to Battride War Genesis, you wanna hear some shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JPrEvxkMY

Wait 'til it gets to Fang Joker and check out Philip's new replacement voice. Hoooooooly shit it's bad. Gentaro got recast too but he sounds MILES better than Philip.

I already didn't like Fang Joker in the first two games because he wasn't fun to use, but now I'm just going to avoid him completely unless forced by the story.

Tiu Neo

Timeranger is in my Top 2 Sentai.

A perfect show from top to bottom, great drama and storytelling. Makes Time Force seem like a kids play at times.

It's a bit early to say, but it has a very big chance of taking my Top 1 spot. I'll wait until I digest that ending a bit, first.

Oh god, I have to rewatch that Gokaiger Timeranger episode now.

WillyFive

It's a bit early to say, but it has a very big chance of taking my Top 1 spot. I'll wait until I digest that ending a bit, first.

Oh god, I have to rewatch that Gokaiger Timeranger episode now.

There are times when it is my #1, depending on my mood at any point in time. Such a gold standard for the genre.

Tiu Neo

Oh god, that Gokaiger 40 ending. ;_;

There are times when it is my #1, depending on my mood at any point in time. Such a gold standard for the genre.

It sure is. There are very few things that could be better, but most of them would be more nitpicking than real problems with the series.

I'm curious, which is your other Top #1 series?

WillyFive

Oh god, that Gokaiger 40 ending. ;_;

It sure is. There are very few things that could be better, but most of them would be more nitpicking than real problems with the series.

I'm curious, which is your other Top #1 series?

Jetman, of course.

Both it and Timeranger also got fantastic episodes in Gokaiger.

My impressions of Ghost after 3 episodes and Legendary Soul Ep1.

- I like the pacing.
- Takeru is... okay?
- Onari is the best character.
- Akari was annoying, but then she invented the leaf blower, saving me time during my yard clean up. I could be completely wrong but I believe they won't run that gag about her not believing in ghosts even though they're right there into the ground. Also, she has the 3rd best ass in all of Rider behind Naomi from Den-O and Chase.
- That guy needs to see a dentist.

Tiu Neo

Man, that Amazon actor on Decade is pretty bad.

Jetman, of course.

Both it and Timeranger also got fantastic episodes in Gokaiger.

Yes! Jetman was one of the first sentai I choose to watch, after Gokaiger, thanks to that episode. I'm not a fan of Kaori, which makes it rank a bit lower for me, but Jetman has the best villains of the series I watched, by a good margin. The other characters and the story were also top notch.

One of my plans, after I watch all those series, is to watch Gokaiger again, to really understand the tributes.

I wonder what I should watch next. Probably Dairanger and something else.

WillyFive

Dairanger is an overrated show. Akibaranger was correct in that it had so many awesome moments, but there's really nothing to the story or characters. The show is simply concerned about making you feel uncomfortable rather than making any sense of it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so I saw this retweeted in my feed

Ca7cMtsUMAAa3N0.jpg

Tiu Neo

Well, I plan to watch them all, and it's probably most downhill now, so... May as well watch it, and hope it's at least better than Zyuranger.

Any suggestions for what to watch next? Still havent watched:

Nothing from Gorenger to Bioman. (I'm interested on most of them, but subs are hard to find)
Maskman (in 20 years+, watched it as a kid)
Turboranger
Fiveman
Dairanger
Ohranger
Megaranger
Gingaman
GoGo Five
Go-Onger
Goseiger

WillyFive

If you watched Fourze, Megaranger will seem kinda bland. Fourze was pretty much a JJ Abrams-style remake of Megaranger, everything a lot more exciting and intense. The main highlight of the show however are the Nezirangers (the Psycho Rangers), that arc was pretty engaging.

Goseiger sucks. Gingaman is weak. Go-Onger is a comedy that isn't funny.

GoGoV is a showcase of great production values however, but the story is inferior to Magiranger; both shows deal with family, but Magi's family is more human.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I agree, I have no fucking clue what Grateful is going for...that honestly looks like something Drive would use.

Tiu Neo

If you watched Fourze, Megaranger will seem kinda bland. Fourze was pretty much a JJ Abrams-style remake of Megaranger, everything a lot more exciting and intense. The main highlight of the show however are the Nezirangers (the Psycho Rangers), that arc was pretty engaging.

Goseiger sucks. Gingaman is weak. Go-Onger is a comedy that isn't funny.

GoGoV is a showcase of great production values however, but the story is inferior to Magiranger; both shows deal with family, but Magi's family is more human.

I'll check if I have GoGoV. If I don't, Megaranger also sounds ok. So, the two. If I don't have one of them, Dairanger it is, since I'll watch it someday anyway.

Thanks!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Just got back from getting ZyohKing and the Zyoh Changer and I have to say...they're more fun than I thought.

Zyuoh Changer:
First thing I noticed right off the bat, the audio level is actually really low compared to previous years toys, which is GREAT news for me as it means I can watch tv uninterrupted. That said it's actually a little too low. I still don't understand why they don't have volume sliders on these things. But anyway, the actual toy itself is much like past "phone" type changers where you press a button (summon, morph, transform) and then you press the numbers for the thing you want. The difference is now you have to close the phone and twist the top to complete the picture for the type you pressed. (So if you used summon, you complete the cube picture, so on).

Just from watching videos, it seemed really simple, almost too much so. But having played around with it for a while, the action of twisting the cube feels reeeeeeeally good, like lock seed level good. And for me that's really important. Toys are fun not because of features but how they feel as toys, and I think the ZyuOh Changer really gets that right.

ZyuOh King:
This is another one that I feel like videos can't properly display what's good about it. The things I said earlier in the thread are still true:

1. It sucks that only the arms move
2. From the side or behind it looks hella dumb
3. Sucks there are no lights and sounds

BUT that said, the cubes themselves feel good in your hand, they are just the right size and have a nice weight to them, and they don't feel cheap. Unlike a lot of other robos all 3 cubes stand on their own as toys (last year was really bad about this) so they are fun to play with in and out of formation. The Cube-to-Animal transformations are neat and just as I suspected, the whole yakitori style combination feels pretty good to do.

To wrap it up, maybe it's cause I went in with lowered expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised by both toys, and am looking forward to getting more! I think I might at least go for 4-5-6 Kirin and Mogura to get JyuOh Wild King.

I wonder though, what are they going to do with the morpher? It only has sounds for what I would imagine is only the first 1/4th of the show. Maybe they'll add layers, or a box within a box or something? Anyway.

Edit: just realized theres an expansion joint on the vack of the changer (just above the light) wonder what for?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Oh yeah, anyone who's not paying attention to Battride War Genesis, you wanna hear some shit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8JPrEvxkMY

Wait 'til it gets to Fang Joker and check out Philip's new replacement voice. Hoooooooly shit it's bad. Gentaro got recast too but he sounds MILES better than Philip.

I already didn't like Fang Joker in the first two games because he wasn't fun to use, but now I'm just going to avoid him completely unless forced by the story.

Honestly, they need to just get Omega Force to make them. I have no idea why they don't.

It's all Bamco shit anyways

re: Timeranger, that's my hope for the next Shout Factory official sub release. Shinkenger would be nice too. As would JAKQ. Fuck it, I just wish they'd announce how much those cost to do so we could figure out if it's realistic to expect all of them.

vareon

I wonder though, what are they going to do with the morpher? It only has sounds for what I would imagine is only the first 1/4th of the show. Maybe they'll add layers, or a box within a box or something? Anyway.

Edit: just realized theres an expansion joint on the vack of the changer (just above the light) wonder what for?

Isn't that to be attached to weapons? Or is it a different cube?

eqVgjdA.png

Since there's no collectible trinket for the morpher, the collectibles are the cubes itself, then?

vareon

Hey MHWilliams, now that you're a mod, what's the consensus on tokusatsu toy scans? (magazine or catalogue). Cause we can spoiler tag them now for those who mind.

It doesnt connect to the weapon, or any othe cubes. The joints are on the back above and below the hinge where the cube opens, so most likely its something that goes on top or around it?

Anyway, ive been playing with the cubes a lot: https://vine.co/v/inpWz9AHY3I

It's really cool, I hope I can find some with regular prices in my country.

Delio

Just got back from getting ZyohKing and the Zyoh Changer and I have to say...they're more fun than I thought.

Zyuoh Changer:
First thing I noticed right off the bat, the audio level is actually really low compared to previous years toys, which is GREAT news for me as it means I can watch tv uninterrupted. That said it's actually a little too low. I still don't understand why they don't have volume sliders on these things. But anyway, the actual toy itself is much like past "phone" type changers where you press a button (summon, morph, transform) and then you press the numbers for the thing you want. The difference is now you have to close the phone and twist the top to complete the picture for the type you pressed. (So if you used summon, you complete the cube picture, so on).

Just from watching videos, it seemed really simple, almost too much so. But having played around with it for a while, the action of twisting the cube feels reeeeeeeally good, like lock seed level good. And for me that's really important. Toys are fun not because of features but how they feel as toys, and I think the ZyuOh Changer really gets that right.

ZyuOh King:
This is another one that I feel like videos can't properly display what's good about it. The things I said earlier in the thread are still true:

1. It sucks that only the arms move
2. From the side or behind it looks hella dumb
3. Sucks there are no lights and sounds

BUT that said, the cubes themselves feel good in your hand, they are just the right size and have a nice weight to them, and they don't feel cheap. Unlike a lot of other robos all 3 cubes stand on their own as toys (last year was really bad about this) so they are fun to play with in and out of formation. The Cube-to-Animal transformations are neat and just as I suspected, the whole yakitori style combination feels pretty good to do.

To wrap it up, maybe it's cause I went in with lowered expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised by both toys, and am looking forward to getting more! I think I might at least go for 4-5-6 Kirin and Mogura to get JyuOh Wild King.

Thanks for the impressions. Makes me more interested in getting ZyuOh King.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Honestly, they need to just get Omega Force to make them. I have no idea why they don't.

It's all Bamco shit anyways

When's the last time Omega Force made something that didn't get a western release, though? I don't think they do Japan-only stuff anymore. And there's no way in hell a KR game is getting a western release.

NeonZ

When's the last time Omega Force made something that didn't get a western release, though? I don't think they do Japan-only stuff anymore. And there's no way in hell a KR game is getting a western release.

SWC2 didn't get a Western release. And they're localizing even Arslam. I don't think the lack of localized tv shows would stop them from localizing Kamen Rider at this point.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
SWC2 didn't get a Western release. And they're localizing even Arslam. I don't think the lack of localized tv shows would stop them from localizing Kamen Rider at this point.

Yeah, but the thing with all the stuff they localize is that they have some sort of western presence. Even Arslan, which Funimation carries on their site. There is no legitimate way to watch Kamen Rider in the west. Toei would have a huge problem with something being released in the west which is essentially saying "go pirate our product". Until Kamen Rider has some sort of official release over here, we're never seeing a KR game.

Tiu Neo

How ould unfellows rate the past decade of super sentAi series from best to worst?

1 - Go-Busters - Did a lot of things right, great villains, good mecha battles, awesome suits. Wish it had been more successful.
2 - Gokaiger - Fun season, with lots of fanservice, likeable characters.
3 - Gekiranger - Great villains and story.
4 - Kyoryuger - Fun, did some interesting things with the formula, too much red focus.
5 - Shinkenger - Nice story and good cast.
6 - Ninninger - Nice action and effects, ok cast, meh story, too much red focus at the beginning.
7 - ToQger - Good villains, cute story, ok-ish cast, too much red focus. Could be great with a few changes.
8 - Boukenger - It has it's moments, but it's... kinda boring. The cast is ok-ish, the girls are kinda meh. It has two great villains.

I Didn't watch Go-Onger and Goseiger, so I can't rank them.

1 is great. It was really hard to rank 2-5, because I pretty much like them all the same amount, those are the good ones. 6 and 7 are... not that bad, but I would recommend watching something else first. Boukenger... It has it's moments, but there are a lot of better series to watch.

Right before it, comes, Magi, Deka and Aba, which with Timeranger make my top 4 sentai ever.

Pluto

re: Timeranger, that's my hope for the next Shout Factory official sub release.
I don't think it's likely they'll skip that far ahead, it seems they're going in order. But if they do it Timeranger would get my vote too, I already bought the japanese DVDs (I even got the limited box for all volumes which surpised me because I bought them quite some time after the intitial release) but I'd double dip for official subs.

If Kakuranger has good sales too that should be proof that sentai sells and Zyuranger wasn't just a fluke. Do you guys think there's a chance Shout! Factory will do sets of several sentais instead of individual releases.

How ould unfellows rate the past decade of super sentAi series from best to worst?
1. Gekiranger
2. Shinkenger
3. Gokaiger
4. Kyoryuger
5. Go-Onger
6. ToQer
7. Go-Busters
8. Boukenger
9. Goseiger
10. Ninninger

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dino Super Charge 3

Decent episode helped by James Gaylyn hamming it up.
I'm surprised they already ended Heckyl's undercover operation. I figured that would be the big "pre-hiatus" ending. Interesting that the Rangers noticed that he doesn't know where they're base is despite showing it to him.

Pluto

Jesus I just saw the new sentai costumes.

How do you mess up that much from the neck down?
I like them, the big animal heads were a surprise at first but they're a pretty good design and very marketable imo, I really want elephant and shark shirts and the heads could also be printed on backpacks, hats, school supplies and look good.
I also love that they chose a lighter blue and green, the color scheme is very nice to look at.

WillyFive

Zyohger 1

Traditional but promising. The episode was a 30 minute toy commercial, but it was a very hype one at that. Red is a massive improvement in everything so far, the Zord sequences were excellent, and villains are traditional but interesting. This episode had the characters fight with a lot of budget expensive attacks, so I hope they can keep it up across the show.

1. Gekiranger - Wonderful show, all time great, Top 3 Sentai
2. Kyoryuger - Fantastic show, all time great
3. Gokaiger - True fan service and fun, all time great
4. Shinkenger - Great cast and characters, good show albeit slow in the mid-section
5. Go-Busters - Great premise, villain, sixths, and production values, but core three Rangers drag the show down.
6. ToQger - Good premise, but story was not developed enough to last all 50 or so episodes, and characters were written as kids but cast as adults means that it's really awkward to watch.
7. Ninninger - Not much of a Sentai due to how Red was basically the only character, story was generic; but it had it's good moments when other characters were allowed screentime.
8. Boukenger - Great premise and music, but a total bore and feels paper thin.
9. Go-Onger - Good ideas and music, but a comedy needs to be funny to work.
10. Goseiger - Even their crossovers with good series sucked.

Top Bottom