• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

javadoze

Kamen Rider Agito episodes 1-2

-I have to say: despite there being three riders in this show from the outset, they do a sublime job at balancing the three scenarios and yet not feeling rushed in the process.

-Looking back, I kinda miss when Rider shows had less time dedicated to fighting scenes. Agito benefits a lot from building the tension and mystery right up to the end of the episodes where the climatic fighting scenes happen. Makes them so much more satisfying.

-Shouichi is a huge dork and I love him. Hikawa is the jobber who I want to do better. I don't know enough about Ryou to talk about him.

-Another thing I enjoy is the mystery surrounding Agito these first two episodes. Though it's obvious who it really is, I appreciate the attempt.

-One last thing, the belt being a projecting light to somewhat obscure Shouichi's figure on video is a nice practical effect.

Really enjoying the show so far.

Slayven

Thats the reason I bought the Pterodactyl toy for my desk the morning after seeing the movie.
Who knew seeing a zord do what its design intended would take it from least favorite as a kid to my favorite from the movie.

Also started both of the current Power Ranger comics yesterday(finished "Pink") wow I am enjoying the hell out of these Boom! runs.
The 1-2 punch of the stream and the movie really bought me back to something I hadn't cared about in 20years.

Shit the Pterodactyl was the MVP, it put in more work than the T-Rex

Over all the zords really grew on me, they were war machines and they looked like it

Jeffrey

Still a bummer that the megazord was so underwhelming. They put the effort to recreate the zords running shot, but don't bother doing a sick combination sequence.

shaowebb

I honestly can't understand how you can like Den-O and Gaim suits but draw the line on Ex-Aid. Yeah, most of it is goofy shit but so were Gaim's, not to mentio Dangerous Zombie and Taddle Fantasy are GOATs. But I know I'm in the minority hating Den-O designs.

Left long before either came about. Its the eyes on the mask. I can't stand that. After looking up Taddle Fantasy its meh at best for me. Them eyes. Still so cartoony and bleh and the colors are too bright. Dangerous Zombie is legit though. I may try to watch for that, but I dunno...it just loses me the second they transform and no Rider, even Fourze, did that. Appeal means a lot to me. It wont save a show from a shit plot like Wizard, but Appeal can break a show for me too if the suits are just trash.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 25

WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!
The game has launched, and people all over playing. Oh and it's a real life death game too. Holy shit!
This is an insane direction to take the series.
We're basically at the half-way point, can't wait to see where it all leads.

Kamen Rider Agito episodes 1-2

-I have to say: despite there being three riders in this show from the outset, they do a sublime job at balancing the three scenarios and yet not feeling rushed in the process.

-Looking back, I kinda miss when Rider shows had less time dedicated to fighting scenes. Agito benefits a lot from building the tension and mystery right up to the end of the episodes where the climatic fighting scenes happen. Makes them so much more satisfying.

-Shouichi is a huge dork and I love him. Hikawa is the jobber who I want to do better. I don't know enough about Ryou to talk about him.

-Another thing I enjoy is the mystery surrounding Agito these first two episodes. Though it's obvious who it really is, I appreciate the attempt.

-One last thing, the belt being a projecting light to somewhat obscure Shouichi's figure on video is a nice practical effect.

Really enjoying the show so far.

I'm glad to hear that. Kuuga and Agito were two shows that I hold near and dear to me. Loved them when they were airing. I need to find a way to get money together to get the blurays at some point.

Meanwhile, Anime News Network continues to be awful.

Hello? Femme in Ryuki?
"But she was in a movie" Marika in Gaim.

What's worse is despite the headline, they still mention in the article it's not the first, instead it was Kiva-la (Megumi). Who wrote this?

Hoo boy.

I wish I had better writing ability. I would like to contribute to places like this and Tokusatsu Network to provide better content than what's being provided now.

vareon

As usual, Ex-aid feels like we're entering the final phase of the show but it's actually just the 25th episode. A lot of other Rider shows just started getting good at these times. Good shit.

Meanwhile, Anime News Network continues to be awful.

Hello? Femme in Ryuki?
"But she was in a movie" Marika in Gaim.

What's worse is despite the headline, they still mention in the article it's not the first, instead it was Kiva-la (Megumi). Who wrote this?

Lol, they updated the article to say she's the first female rider with exclusive transformation item...which is a repaint.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
TrKOu8P.jpg

TENSHIN DAAAAAA

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 08

Hm, I like those episodes that don't follow the normal episode structure. A bit of individual mecha action, too, was nice. Also, a bit more about Spada's backstory and a hint of out-of-earth locations!

I hope they do more things like this 3-way division. It adds some variety to the episodes, and everyone gets a bit of time in the spotlight. It helped that they balanced well the funny, serious and character focus moments.

Xiao had his Doggie moment and he is op. He even has a time limit so he isn't too op, hah. Cool suit too.

And... the boy is back. Guess it'll take only a few more episodes for the 11th to join.

They are using that quarry a lot. It almost feels like 80's toku, lol.

Regarding Ex-Aid, I am fully expecting Dan to somehow weasel his way back into the plot and tell Parad that his vision of Kamen Rider Chronicle is false and weak in comparison to what Dan's original idea was.

I just can't see Parad as Chronicle. Also the fact that the gashat sticker still has to be filled in properly.

Jeffrey

I shall live on this gobuster Hill alone. Still probably the most memorable Sentai for me lol. Felt more like a mecha anime than Sentai

WillyFive

Try having your favorite Sentai be Go-Onger.

The show had good music, I admit.

But so did Lazy Town.

I shall live on this gobuster Hill alone. Still probably the most memorable Sentai for me lol. Felt more like a mecha anime than Sentai

If the show had been just about Jin, J, Enter, and the suits and mechs; yeah it would have been wonderful. But it's stuck with one of the worst core three Rangers in recent memory and a story that was dropped like a hot potato (albeit the finale was pretty great).

NeonZ

If the show had been just about Jin, J, Enter, and the suits and mechs; yeah it would have been wonderful. But it's stuck with one of the worst core three Rangers in recent memory and a story that was dropped like a hot potato (albeit the finale was pretty great).

I think in the end "dropping" the story might have benefited the show, since it allowed a pretty good mid-season climax and then more developments later leading to the 2nd finale, which was actually great. I really prefer that to Kobayashi's (and, really, Sentai in general these last few years) usual mid series slump.

Try having your favorite Sentai be Go-Onger.

Ouch.

I mean I like Go-Buster. Does anyone here hate Go-Buster? Nah. I just don't think it's great. The mid-season climax felt like the real ending and then they kept time until the show's actual ending. I didn't particularly like Hiromu and Yoko, and they were core cast. I like the ambition of Go-Buster more than I like the resulting show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow still bitchy about that. Even after claiming you'd take your superior toku taste to somewhere outside of gaf. Which ended up meaning just not this thread, but actually still this thread anyways.

I only refuse to post in tokugaf, not gaf, unless it involves saving someone from watching with bad subs. It's why I still post in other threads like the Power Rangers twitch, because actual discussion happens there. If you pay attention I only posted thrice here (well four times now) - one because I need to tell someone to use tinyhenshin for Magiranger than TVN, two because I was in a Dan high just to share a gif, and three was for an April Fools with Poppy. I've avoided any form of discussion or debate in this thread since it will only fall into deaf ears no matter how much I am tempted to do so, like the current topic. I still stand by on what I said since it's a waste of time in even attempting to do things especially on this thread's sacred cow.

Now go cry on how I will "post on /m/" even though that place has a much varied taste in tokusatsu. Good luck trying to discuss anything here like BR subs of Gavan, completed subs of various rescue heroes, new Ultraman shit, or trying to talk anything Sentai beside Kyoryuger.

Jeffrey

Gobusters was the last Sentai that had memorable fight choreography for me, and mech sections that didn't feel added for the sake of tradition. Usually I skim past those.

But yeah story and key cast could be better, but the elements that generally bore me ended up being good is nice lol.

Wow still bitchy about that. Even after claiming you'd take your superior toku taste to somewhere outside of gaf. Which ended up meaning just not this thread, but actually still this thread anyways.

I only refuse to post in tokugaf, not gaf, unless it involves saving someone from watching with bad subs. It's why I still post in other threads like the Power Rangers twitch, because actual discussion happens there. And that post was made in April 1 with a Poppy avatar.

Now go cry on how I will "post on /m/" even though that place has a much varied taste in tokusatsu. Good luck trying to discuss anything here like BR subs of Gavan, completed subs of various rescue heroes, new Ultraman shit, or trying to talk anything Sentai beside Kyoryuger.

One, both of you need to stop sniping at each other.

Two, you can talk about anything freely here, but discussion is always going to lean on whatever is the currently-airing is going to get the brunt of talk. In the past three pages alone, we've had Ex-Aid, Kyuranger, Dino Charge, Gekiranger, Agito, W, OOO, and Power Rangers the movie.

If you feel your topics are broadly represented, perhaps that's not a fault of the thread, just a difference in preferred focus. Your pain point seems to be that people really enjoy Kyoryuger, which I really can't address in any meaningful manner. People like what they like; I'm sorry that is a problem for you.

Slayven

The universe is out to get Ryo and it's one of the best parts of the show.

I didn't think I was the only one who thought of Dairanger, but I'm glad someone else said it.

They had to know what they are doing, if ti isn't a full on homage i will be shocked

Boss Doggie

One, both of you need to stop sniping at each other.

Two, you can talk about anything freely here, but discussion is always going to lean on whatever is the currently-airing is going to get the brunt of talk. In the past three pages alone, we've had Ex-Aid, Kyuranger, Dino Charge, Gekiranger, Agito, W, OOO, and Power Rangers the movie.

If you feel your topics are broadly represented, perhaps that's not a fault of the thread, just a difference in preferred focus. Your pain point seems to be that people really enjoy Kyoryuger, which I really can't address in any meaningful manner. People like what they like; I'm sorry that is a problem for you.

No, my problem is that Kyoryuger is a sacred cow in this thread, but that's not why I responded anyway. It's why I said I avoided discussion in this thread and only came in to help people i.e. using better subs, since I know this place wouldn't do me well anymore for further talk. I just responded because someone thinks I'm doing the "you can't help but post here for attention!" or something like that.

Skittles

So after the twitch stream i've decided to go through sentai related stuff. Is this list good or should I add anything else?

Garo the one who shines in darkness

Jetman
Gokaiger
Gekiranger
Timeranger
Kyoryuger
carranger
shinkenger
magiranger

-Last half of Turbo
- In Space
- Time Force
- Lightspeed
- Ninja Storm
- Dino Thunder
- SPD
- RPM
= Lost Galaxy
Reinforcements from the Future-Forever Red

No, my problem is that Kyoryuger is a sacred cow in this thread, but that's not why I responded anyway. It's why I said I avoided discussion in this thread and only came in to help people i.e. using better subs, since I know this place wouldn't do me well anymore for further talk. I just responded because someone thinks I'm doing the "you can't help but post here for attention!" or something like that.

I mean, no one's saying you can't dislike Kyoryuger. I'm just unclear what other folks loving it has to do anything? What is the "sacred cow"-ness, other than saying "Kyoryuger is great!"

And as I noted before, I addressed the sniping. Folks need to not make things personal. At the same time, you can't blanket condemn the thread and the expect the other posters to not mention it.

So after the twitch stream i've decided to go through sentai related stuff. Is this list good or should I add anything else?

Jetman
Gokaiger
Gekiranger
Timeranger
Kyoryuger
carranger
shinkenger
magiranger

-Last half of Turbo
- In Space
- Time Force
- Lightspeed
- Ninja Storm
- Dino Thunder
- SPD
- RPM
= Lost Galaxy

I'm partial to Dekranger and Dairanger as well, but that's a damn good list to start.

WillyFive

What the heck is with this drama in TokuGAF? When did this happen?

As for Go-Busters, I have good memories of many parts of it; but I will say the ground fights were a downgrade from Gokaiger, and Kyoryuger had a massive improvement. However, I agree mech fights are Go-Busters' ace (ha, get it?).

Also, leaving TokuGAF for /m/? That's low. TokuGAF rarely ventures outside certain topics because we are too small. But this place is growing. However, leaving it will not make it grow and therefore it won't be able to support more varied stuff like Ultraman.

Jetman
Gokaiger
Gekiranger
Timeranger
Kyoryuger
carranger
shinkenger
magiranger

Pretty flawless list thus far.

Jetman
Gokaiger
Gekiranger
Timeranger
Kyoryuger
carranger
shinkenger
magiranger

-Last half of Turbo
- In Space
- Time Force
- Lightspeed
- Ninja Storm
- Dino Thunder
- SPD
- RPM
= Lost Galaxy

Dekaranger and GoBuster.

Boss Doggie

I mean, no one's saying you can't dislike Kyoryuger. I'm just unclear what other folks loving it has to do anything? What is the "sacred cow"-ness, other than saying "Kyoryuger is great!"

And as I noted before, I addressed the sniping. Folks need to not make things personal. At the same time, you can't blanket condemn the thread and the expect the other posters to not mention it.

Being swarmed by the same posts after saying how x sentai is better among other things. And to this day, that one post claiming Kyoryuger has better mecha fights than GB still is a lingering scar.

Also, leaving TokuGAF for /m? That's low.

Kamen Rider Chronicle roleplaying/funposting.

Also, leaving TokuGAF for /m/? That's low. TokuGAF rarely ventures outside certain topics because we are too small. But this place is growing. However, leaving it will not make it grow and therefore it won't be able to support more varied stuff like Ultraman.

I mean, it makes sense if you want to talk to a broader audience. TokuGAF is 10-15 posters at most.

I'd recommend HenshinJustice or RangerBoard over /m/ myself, but I don't have a problem with that community. Even on those boards, the amount of space given over to some of those topics is relatively small, because the overall audiences are relatively small in comparison.

Being swarmed by the same posts after saying how x sentai is better among other things. And to this day, that one post claiming Kyoryuger has better mecha fights than GB still is a lingering scar.

I mean, people are going to argue and discuss where their viewpoints differ. As an example, Shun over the in Gundam threads mentioned he loved Macross Delta. A bunch of folks disagreed. That's going to happen.

And even given someone posting the latter, so what? Does that opinion infringe on the great work done in GB? I'm just trying to understand if it just boils down to "I just disagree with the thread's general thoughts". I like you in the community. But if it's a simple disagreement on that level, there's not much I can do that's not "Y'all can't have this opinion." And given those, I can understand if you want to step away. Life is too short not to.

Boss Doggie

I mean, it makes sense if you want to talk to a broader audience. TokuGAF is 10-15 posters at most.

I'd recommend HenshinJustice or RangerBoard over /m/ myself, but I don't have a problem with that community. Even on those boards, the amount of space given over to some of those topics is relatively small, because the overall audiences are relatively small in comparison.

I mean, people are going to argue and discuss where their viewpoints differ. As an example, Shun over the in Gundam threads mentioned he loved Macross Delta. A bunch of folks disagreed. That's going to happen.

And even given someone posting the latter, so what? Does that opinion infringe on the great work done in GB? I'm just trying to understand if it just boils down to "I just disagree with the thread's general thoughts". I like you in the community. But if it's a simple disagreement on that level, there's not much I can do that's not "Y'all can't have this opinion." And given those, I can understand if you want to step away. Life is too short not to.

I prefer /m/ for tokusatsu discussion primarily because you could get to really obscure stuff and those that rarely gets discussed, like the examples I said. I remember having a thread about Ninja Captor even. Also you don't have subbing drama and they tend to have people who are able to read Japanese, get 2ch info (without masquerading them as "leaks"), and stuff like actors doing fun stuff. Just have to sift through shitposting.

It's mostly when people are in hype levels and trying to make a discourse is hard. That was back when Kyoryuger was new. I've been enjoying plenty of things the majority in GAF tend not to like (plenty of non-Disney, non-Pixar stuff, pre-Tangled Disney stuff, etc.) after all so I know the feeling.

In any case that's why I said that I'd rather leave. Much better than stifling discussion or trying to go against the wave after all. I only come around when, like I said, see fit to help someone particularly with subs.

Jaeger

I love talking about rare, more obscure Toku! I used to frequent /m/ a long time ago. Hell, I bring up Metal Heroes often here

I prefer /m/ for tokusatsu discussion primarily because you could get to really obscure stuff and those that rarely gets discussed, like the examples I said. I remember having a thread about Ninja Captor even. Also you don't have subbing drama and they tend to have people who are able to read Japanese, get 2ch info (without masquerading them as "leaks"), and stuff like actors doing fun stuff. Just have to sift through shitposting.

It's mostly when people are in hype levels and trying to make a discourse is hard. That was back when Kyoryuger was new. I've been enjoying plenty of things the majority in GAF tend not to like (plenty of non-Disney, non-Pixar stuff, pre-Tangled Disney stuff, etc.) after all so I know the feeling.

In any case that's why I said that I'd rather leave. Much better than stifling discussion or trying to go against the wave after all. I only come around when, like I said, see fit to help someone particularly with subs.

That's completely understandable. /m/ is definitely more suited for some of the smaller topics and other areas of tokusatsu.

I just don't want you to feel like you can't contribute ever, despite any previous posts about you not being a part of TokuGAF.

Slayven

I just don't get this, people are enjoying something. Whats the problem, no one is shouting down anyone or sayign you ahve to like it.

vareon

Literally nobody is talking about Kyoryuger being the best sentai until you came in and somehow stirred this. I'm sorry to say this to a fellow longtime TokuGAF member but you are shit and actively trying to make this place shit.

I'm not sure if my behavior is allowed by mods, but I do not like you being here and will ask you to kindly leave forever, unless you want to be here and discuss whatever can be discussed on this single thread without being toxic.

Boss Doggie

That's completely understandable. /m/ is definitely more suited for some of the smaller topics and other areas of tokusatsu.

I just don't want you to feel like you can't contribute ever, despite any previous posts about you not being a part of TokuGAF.

Nah I'm content with just helping people like say subs.

I just don't get this, people are enjoying something. Whats the problem, no one is shouting down anyone or sayign you ahve to like it.

Hype posting left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since I really enjoyed GB and then bam, Kyoryuger posting.

Literally nobody is talking about Kyoryuger being the best sentai until you came in and somehow stirred this. I'm sorry to say this to a fellow longtime TokuGAF member but you are shit and actively trying to make this place shit.

I'm not sure if my behavior is allowed by mods, but I do not like you being here and will ask you to kindly leave forever, unless you want to be here and discuss whatever can be discussed on this single thread without being toxic.

hence why I left, only came back because of a post, and so will this post be my last until someone asks or needs help

For the record, I acutally don't like Kyoruyger, or Tokyuger for that matter. I'm not going to slam it in every post, but yeah, not a fan. Same with Gaim and Faiz. *shrugs* Doesn't mean I dislike any of you guys. Also, I would love to discuss more obscure things. Like anyone catching up with Changerion right now? 16 episodes are subbed so far, hopefully they keep up the pace!

And yes, Gavan's bluray box set is being subbed right now, I highly recommend you check it out, it's lovely.

jwk94

Just watched the latest Ex-Aid. I had a good laugh at Pallad fucking those kids up and giving M his gear back. Shoulda read the instruction manual.

Big One

Banned
I mean, let's be real here for a second here...toku objectively is pretty hokey and badly written stuff. I say this as a long-time fan who's first toku was Kikaider on VHS (well, Power Rangers before that but I mean Japanese stuff). You can talk about your "superior taste" all you want but in the end we're watching stuff that's meant to be for fun by and large. Who cares if all people talk about is the mainstream stuff? The good majority of the time the mainstream modern toku is better than any of the older toku or any of the more obscure toku.

I was watching Bueno's video revealing his Kamen Rider Strega news was an April Fool's joke, and while I do not dislike Bueno by any means his whole mentality is that he feels like Kamen Rider is considerably worse "than it used to be." I see this a lot in the fandom, and as someone that love classic toku and spent a lot of my teenage years on it....Kamen Rider BLACK (the first KR series I've ever watched) is honestly no better of a Kamen Rider series than Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz W, OOOs, and even the recent Ex-Aid, and anyone saying otherwise is being disingenuous with their critique of these series when every single complaint people make about modern Kamen Rider can apply to just about any of the Showa era series (lot's of filler, mediocre endings, shoddy character writing, shifting plot focus, etc.). The only real distinct difference is that the series is more toy-driven and incorporates elements and motifs that used to be utilized for Metal Heroes, which to be honest BLACK RX sort of did the Metal Hero-esque thing already.

The reason by and large no one wants to talk about these toku like Ninja Captor and similar series is because they're by and large mediocre even amongst their peers of that era. This doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable by any means but it's definitely nothing to brag about. A lack of proper subs as well hinders it, but there's usually a reason to why a series isn't subbed. Arguing with others about your knowledge of toku because you like more obscure series in something that's already obscure for the majority of the world outside of Japan is pointless imo. Even in other countries like Brazil where Kamen Rider BLACK aired is still considered a fringe thing and not super popular.

There's always going to be current series posting going on, and those who love something will always come to its defence. Trying to get discussion going on older and more obscure toku is definitely difficult, due to accessibility, the jank they are famous for, etc. MHWilliams is just right.

Doesn't mean you can't post about them though. I absolutely love Gavan, definitely one of the best toku series ever made. But how many people here will have ever seen it, or even care due to how shoddy the suit ends up looking?

Tiu Neo

Maybe I should start watching and re-watching Metal Heroes. I loved them as a kid, lol.

Maybe I'll start with Gavan. Changerion, while not a MH, also looks cool, and from the little I saw, kinda reminds me of early 2000s Kamen Rider.

Ex-Aid 25

Kamen Rider Go is popular, who would have guessed? That's... an interesting turn for the series, with some of the enemies being humans with powers.

I like the new villain group. They're not at the same level as Dan yet, but that would be asking for too much, I guess. I wonder how they'll work when Poppy turns, if she does, since it'll probably become a bit unbalanced. Well, Pallad can easily become a good villain by himself, imo.

Lots of deaths this episode. Extras, but they are all dead nonetheless, heh.

New Genm boss remind me of a fat older Mach, with his white clothes and that hair, and now I can't unsee it.

Next episode,
Kamen Rider Poppy
!

Sou Da

Oh god you're one of those "/m/ hates showa" posters aren't you?

you don't have subbing drama (on /m/)

Is a blatant lie by the way. Shit, they tried to run Magenta off Twitter AFTER Gaim was finished.

Boss Doggie

Oh god you're one of those "/m/ hates showa" posters aren't you?

no that was a shitposter gimmick, in fact I daresay it that it's only one poster spamming his shit in different toku threads, and most probably came from /v/. I enjoy toku on its own without even classifying its age, only for its "concept" (i.e. effects), especially considering that most of the toku I watched are Showa era

Top Bottom