• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

jwk94

Ex-Aid really doesn't want to let up. This season is just below Gaim levels of exciting. Next ep preview spoilers:

So, if we assume they're serious about reviving dead players, does that mean we might be getting Lazer back??

Ex-Aid really doesn't want to let up. This season is just below Gaim levels of exciting. Next ep preview spoilers:

So, if we assume they're serious about reviving dead players, does that mean we might be getting Lazer back??

Given that
Graphite got his flowers and now he's back... that could be a very very likely outcome..

Man, Amazons Season, Episode 1, feels like a Kuuga-Faiz era show. The general way it's shot, the use of certain filters, some of the special effects (like Neo taking out his sword the first time), all add up to a show that feels like a throwback to a different time in Kamen Rider.

Oh, and I want every one of Chihiro's friends to die.

Man, Amazons Season, Episode 1, feels like a Kuuga-Faiz era show. The general way it's shot, the use of certain filters, some of the special effects (like Neo taking out his sword the first time), all add up to a show that feels like a throwback to a different time in Kamen Rider.

That's the type of show I want. And yet, getting through S1 was very, very difficult given the content.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

the gore really helps restore that feeling too.

im not feeling neo just yet. i hope he loses those yellow lenses and the red ones beneath become the default, it would look so much cleaner.

also agreed about chihiros "friends". they are all playing with a crazy ass fire and dont even seem to know it. and young heart lipping to an amazon? incredibly stupid

regarding the plot
when the director said that humans are becoming amazons, is it possible that they arent even aware that they are carriers? the cops surprise at being called one, and the bride and bridesmaids being all glammed up before turning shows a lack of control or knowledge that the previous batch had

DON'T BELIEVE GENM CORPORATIONS LIES!

If people can be tempted into getting their dead loved ones back, they'll obviously try and continue playing Chronicle, even against the best of advice. Its all a ruse by Genm Corp to get people to continue playing.

delSai

Wait Amazons S2 started? I completely missed that. I also have to catch up on Ex-Aid and Kyuranger + i still haven't finished Kiva. Impossible to find time for all that and those amazing games that are coming out.

Guess i have to dedicate a day to Toku or somethin' or else i will never finish this stuff

Tiu Neo

regarding the plot
when the director said that humans are becoming amazons, is it possible that they arent even aware that they are carriers? the cops surprise at being called one, and the bride and bridesmaids being all glammed up before turning shows a lack of control or knowledge that the previous batch had

Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Maybe the transformation is permanent, too? They go directly to the feral mindset.

But then, we still don't know how the Amazon parasite is spread. Depending in how it is, it's possible they knew but were trying to hide.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
qBCYZij.jpg

+

JmG4JB1.jpg

name is

MIGHTY GAME CREATOR VRX

please be true
please go completely bonkers on the eyes/visor

EDIT: Yes this is real, scan is out. Other movie exclusive is
HURRICANE NINJAGA (has two forms)
. New Brave upgrade for series is
TADDLE LEGACY Lv100

Finally started Kyuranger, pretty enjoyable.
Wasn't completely feeling the designs when they were posted but man they look really good in motion.
Coming out of that Twitch PR stream my god that Zord fight felt really good as well.

NeonZ

Here's the scan with the new forms for the tv show and the summer. It's from a toyguide for retailers, not a magazine sold to the public, so there's no issue. I'm just linking it though to avoid spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/FD6kRsU.jpg

Brave Legacy Gamer seems to be for tv show, since nothing specifically is said about it being a movie form, while Ex-Aid's new form and the other Rider(s?) are for the movie.

regarding the plot

My guess is that
Chihiro and Iyu know the carriers before they know. Cop might've known, but I feel like the bride didn't know at all.

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 09

You know, the opening is more like what they did with Kamen Rider, here, with parts of the film and episodes. Well, not surprising, since Ex-Aid didn't really have one for some episodes, until the last one.

I like the commander in this episode. We got some cool backstory for the mentor this early, which is kinda rare. Also, introduced commander Big Bear, which will probably have some importance in the next episode. Anyway, Xiao has potential to become one of the best mentors, imo. He's not really just another Doggie, has a nice backstory, motivation, and even some flaws.

I also like how they are throwing a bit of everything is this, even if in the end they drop it a right after. Commander having a time limit reminds me of Megaranger and a bit of Abaranger. Then they dropped it at the same episode, heh.

However, DAT DRAGON MECH. Yeah, it's pretty much the Dairanger mech painted purple, but it really looks good in action. Good to see some individual mech action too.

One thing I still don't like in this is that Lucky is always right and always has it his way. Hope they address it someday.

I liked the name change, this would be a better Zyuranger than the original, lol

11th next episode, already. If it keeps this pace, wouldn't doubt there are still a couple members to be revealed.

Sooooo, Xiao is Torin 2.0? Cool, not gonna complain. Torin was fucking aces. Maybe Xiao will act less like a goofy idiot fom now on. We get enough of that from the goofy red.

I really hope that stupid little kid isn't going to be in every episode.

Oh and it was cool seeing Shenron show up to grant Xiao's wish. Next time on dragon ball z...

Tiu Neo

Sooooo, Xiao is Torin 2.0? Cool, not gonna complain. Torin was fucking aces. Maybe Xiao will act less like a goofy idiot fom now on. We get enough of that from the goofy red.

I really hope that stupid little kid isn't going to be in every episode.

Oh and it was cool seeing Shenron show up to grant Xiao's wish. Next time on dragon ball z...

I'd say Torin is Doggie 2.0, so Xiao would be Doggie 3? Anyway, I kinda like Xiao's silliness, makes him a bit different from those two. He can be silly most of the times but serious when needed. Lucky is the one that should be toned down a bit, imo.

And yeah, I'm kinda wary of the kid, and considering the previous story we had with children members, well...

vareon

And I am unbanned! Sorry for shitting up the thread last week. That was a low point and I have no excuses. And thanks MHWilliams for being the coolest mod ever.

So let's talk about Amazons S2.

While S1 feels like an early Heisei show, this one oddly feels like....Garo? The amazon wearing bridal gown and three creepy bride amazons in the end felt straight out of Keita Amemiya's head.

I enjoyed what I watched but they show really hated color.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyu- I mean Kyuranger 9

I love it when the mentor becomes a Ranger, and with an awesome outfit too.
It's pretty clear that Makado isn't completely done.
When Big Bear appeared, I thought it was Doggie for a second.
Another Ranger next week already.

Ex-Aid 26

Emu able to fight separately from Maximum Mighty X was a nice touch.
Good luck trying to get people to play Chronicle now that the truth is out. Then again, the idiots in SAO still use the Nervgear even after the incident...

Big One

Banned
Got a toku GAF question since I'm catching up with Neo-Hesei and surprisingly am...not outright hating Wizard (it is boring as fuck though), I was wondering which series you guys prefer out of these three:

Kiva
Decade
Wizard

Cause so far I'm actually enjoying Wizard more than the other two. It's boring but at least it's coherent in structure. I do plan on getting around watching the Hesei series again since it's been YEARS since I've seen them. Kiva did have Otoya though...

javadoze

Got a toku GAF question since I'm catching up with Neo-Hesei and surprisingly am...not outright hating Wizard (it is boring as fuck though), I was wondering which series you guys prefer out of these three:

Kiva
Decade
Wizard

Cause so far I'm actually enjoying Wizard more than the other two. It's boring but at least it's coherent in structure. I do plan on getting around watching the Hesei series again since it's been YEARS since I've seen them. Kiva did have Otoya though...

Probably Decade. It's a pretty fun show that's only bad in my mind if you're expecting any worthwhile conclusion or payoff (not watching other Heisei shows before it probably helped my experience with it).

WarRock

How far along Wizard you are? I'm in the camp that the start is not bad at all.

Amazons S2
This is such a stronger debut compared to season 1. Three things though:

- Don't complain about people touching you and then start touching random girls on the street.
- The camera going all close and swinging like a boat in the storm during action secenes can fuck off.
- Not sure how I feel about the little CG stunts/attacks. Not that S1 was completely devoid of it, but here it felt more like current Heisei Rider use of CG than anything else.

Tiu Neo

Kiva
Decade
Wizard

Never watched Wizard, so I can't really comment on that.

But, between Kiva and Decade... well.

I enjoyed Kiva. It had it's problems, but the support cast was mostly good, and then we had those 1986 moments which were really great. The series ending was kind of a mess, but that happened a lot in pre-Decade, so...

Decade. Oh boy. It's probably my least liked tokusatsu. I don't like Tsukasa or Natsumi. Didn't care much for DiEnd. I liked Yusuke, but they didn't really know what to do with him on the later episodes of the series. And then, there was that... non-ending. However, there were some good parts too. I liked the Black and RX episodes, and the Hibiki episodes had some great moments and the greatest finisher I've ever watched. Those episodes made me watch Hibiki right after that. But then, there were those awful Kiva episodes, or the Amazon episodes, which had the worst actor I have ever seen in a toku. It was... uneven. It had some great ideas, but in most part the execution wasn't that good, for me.

Tsukasa was fine on the Taisen movies after that, tho.

Sandfox

Kiva has a lot of problems when you think about it. The main character is an actual man-child that has to be taken care of by supporting cast much younger than him, it suffers from the typical Inoue tropes that make fans made, and the last few episodes are just weird.

Tiu Neo

Kiva has a lot of problems when you think about it. The main character is an actual man-child that has to be taken care of by supporting cast much younger than him, it suffers from the typical Inoue tropes that make fans made, and the last few episodes are just weird.

Yeah, the 2008 part of Kiva is... not that good. Still has a good support cast - I like early Kengo, late Nago, Megumi and the survivors of the 1986 cast.

The modern part love triangle and it's characters weren't that good. Most of the backstory felt rushed and made on the fly, too.

Big One

Banned
How far along Wizard you are? I'm in the camp that the start is not bad at all.
I got to the Infinity form last night and honestly so far it hasn't been too bad just boring.

The characters and drama parts are some of the weakest parts but the plot has been intriguing so far. Also Gremlin being a little shit makes it watchable even when it's a slog.

Sandfox

Yeah, the 2008 part of Kiva is... not that good. Still has a good support cast - I like early Kengo, late Nago, Megumi and the survivors of the 1986 cast.

The modern part love triangle and it's characters weren't that good. Most of the backstory felt rushed and made on the fly, too.
I would argue that the 1986 "love triangle" had issues as well.

I don't think I've seen Kiva since it aired. All I remember is Nago being
a general dick whose motivations are made nebulous and incomprehensible when we're given no explanation as to why Kiva is seen as such an evil that has to be excised immediately. Oh, it's Wataru. That's okay then. Crisis suddenly averted. And now let's briefly turn into a psychotic mental patient just because he's been denied one button from a Fangire criminal. And now let's temporarily become comic relief. And then briefly blind just to have a hero moment. In the end I presume he has drugged Megumi with something because she somehow unfathomably decides to marry him.

And that ending. What on earth.

Tiu Neo

Yeah, I see that too. Almost every "love" part in this wasn't that good.

Maybe it was just more bearable for me because I liked the triangle members a bit more, but it was kinda crappy.

EDIT: Actually, yeah, I kinda forgot the Jiro/Otoya and Yuri triangle was a thing. That part was ok. The Queen triangle is weird and not well done at all.

NeonZ

The Jiro/Yuri/Otoya triangle was good. The issue was when that's resolved, but Queen meets Otoya and we get the Yuri/Otoya/Queen triangle. The whole transition at that point is pretty sloppy and Queen basically drains Otoya of his personality until we get the bits with him confronting King.

WarRock

Yeah, Wizard without Gremlin or Beast would make me drop it during the 30s or 40s I guess. A true shame we will never see Gremlin and Cancer tag teaming shenanigans.

javadoze

That reminds me how much I miss having a bunch of insert songs for a rider show (Wizard/OOO probably being the last time we had quite a bit).

NeonZ

That reminds me how much I miss having a bunch of insert songs for a rider show (Wizard/OOO probably being the last time we had quite a bit).

Gaim also had a few (Jinba, Kachidoki and Kiwami all had their own themes), although their usage was kind of inconsistent.

Sandfox

Drive had a notable number of insert songs, but Ghost had none and Ex-Aid only has a few so far that aren't used too often.

Tiu Neo

Why do the USA get the bootleg toys? Kids like noises and actions

Back in my time we got Metal Heroes toys that were remodeled Robocop toys, and we liked it!

Well, at least the Legacy product line still exists. Maybe someday they'll do something more than MMPR, lol.

I wonder why they don't use the same toys for US and Japan. Would be easier that way, wouldn't it? Well, maybe it's a price thing, japanese toys can get EXPENSIVE.

WarRock

Zyuranger 1
What a glorious "sixth" member "debut". The mech scene was pretty cool too, gives us more Toei, please.

Also, someone needs to tell Garu's stunt actor to calm down. Dude was all over the walls and rolling around when everybody else was simply running haha.

Apharmd

Kiva
Decade
Wizard

Decade. Kiva second, Wizard a very long last only next to Ghost.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 26

Poppy's suit is kinda cheap, but it doesn't look as ugly as the Ex-Aid and Snipe forms, probably because it's simple. Or maybe I just got used to it, lol.

The boss actor is fine for funny moments, but so weird and out of place on the serious ones. They should have created other character or used the Ministry of Health boss for that scene. I also smiled every time they said "Poppy Pipopapo" in a serious tone, heh.

I don't really know if having one shared gashat for Brave and Snipe was a good idea. Well, at least that level 5 Monster Hunter armor is still used that way, heh.

Thinking a bit about it, Ex-Aid found a way of using the same 10 or so monsters every episode without being too notable, unlike how it was in Ghost. Well, maybe because the plot is interesting and actually has things happening every episode.

Kamen Rider Niko next episode, heh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kiva's movie is pretty decent honestly---and a path I wish the series took with the villains being other monsters and the time-lines converging.

Re: Insert Songs: The new one in Ex-Aid, "PEOPLE GAME", is pretty hype. Surprisingly so for a pop-idol-style song.

Also now I realize Gaim had an insert song called E-X-A Exciting Action, which so sounds like an Ex-Aid theme by the name.

Top Bottom