• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Lovelica was amazing.

I don't know how old the character's supposed to be but Niko's actress is 18 so her relationship with Taiga isn't too scandalous.

I know this is old but it looks like Noboru Kaneko(GaoRed) is going to be at Japan World Heroes this year.
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/04/noboru-kaneko-attending-japan-world-heroes-convention/

Noboru Kaneko, known for portraying Kakeru Shishi (GaoRed) in Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger, will be in attendance at Japan World Heroes this August. Kaneko last reprised his role for Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and also played Yoshito Chûjô in Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

Japan World Heroes is a convention celebrating Japanese kaiju and tokusatsu productions. It will be at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, California on August 26th and 27th of this year.

Jezan

I have a questiosn about Super Sentai, it occurred to me today, even though I have known about Sentai since Ninja Storm brought me back to colored heroes.

What's the official name of a Sentai? my question arises from Zyuohger and Zyuranger, like how do they do the disctintion between different "______ranger" ?

Are all those words made up? Is it just a fancy way to address that season? Ad the real meaningful word is the one that goes before Sentai? In the case I posted being Doubutsu and Kyouryuu respectively.

Sorry if that's and stupid questions and thanks for your time :)

Talking about Zyouhger, will it be the next one adapted or is Saban going to Kyuranger? I think the suits of Zyuoh are cool, but no one ever comes close to Gokaiger's.

Depending on the series, the word before -ranger can mean something.

Boukenger, bouken meaning adventure in Japanese.

Gaoranger, gao being onomatoepiea for a roar.

Kyoryuger, kyoryu being dinosaur in Japanese.

Kakuranger, kaku meaning hidden.

It goes on forever, some of the names are puns, some are allusions to the theme. It really depends, season to season.

Tiu Neo

Talking about Zyouhger, will it be the next one adapted or is Saban going to Kyuranger? I think the suits of Zyuoh are cool, but no one ever comes close to Gokaiger's.

We don't know yet. Will depend on if Saban/Bandai think Zyuoh's toys can sell or not, I guess.

WarRock

Wait, you think Zyu or Zyuoh sound too similar/made up? They're different words in Japanese.

9ger 10
For all my complaints and not-so-sure-if-keep-watching stance, this episode was too fun. Naga and Xiao keep winning.

NeonZ

The next one is most likely Kyuranger, since Bandai of America participated in its design process, and Zyuohger performed fairly poorly in Japan anyway.

Tiu Neo

Kyuranger 10

This was a fun episode. But they really need to tone down Lucky and his focus a bit. He's not as bad as some Reds, but he's not one of the best too. Naga and Xiao alone can carry this series, if needed. They also need to give a bit more of focus to the other members. Raptor, Stinger and Garu are just... there. Champ had some more scenes, but would be good to see a bit more too. Balance had a few moments, but it's one of the best characters, so he deserves it.

I don't really like the boy, but his transformed fighting is pretty cool, using the scarf to attack. At least I don't hate him right now, like I did with KibaRanger ever since his first appearance.

vareon

Someone customed a Splatoon-colored Switch and I was instantly reminded of a certain Doctor.

C9ioVcbV0AAkHNs.jpg

C9iod4sVoAAT3OY.jpg

jwk94

Umm....how old is the girl who hangs out with Snipe supposed to be? I thought she was a teenager, but the Genm CEO (who's ruthless as hell, by the way) refers to her as Snipe's girlfriend/partner??

jwk94

Huh, so I guess a romance sub-plot between the two of them isn't out of the question. Eh, after this episode, I really don't mind it.

ssQxMXo.jpg

Kamen Rider Wizard (FINISHED) though I haven't seen the movie yet...

Similar to Fourze, I was expecting to dislike Wizard a lot after hearing a lot of hate for it online. However unlike Fourze, the hate for Wizard is MOSTLY deserved. People are right on this one, the show is largely boring, and unlike Hibiki which was slow paced it isn't carried by good actors whatsoever.

Fourze hate is just a cry for friendship.

what are the chances of them doing kamen rider releases?

Brown is the only one I can think of.
Good question. I'm starting to wonder why they put so much effort into that Ex-Aid blurb if they're not gonna sub it.

If Shout Factory were to sub Kamen Rider, where would they even start? Black because of Masked Rider, Ryuki because of Dragon Knight (which honestly needs to be released digitally) or say fuck it and go with a more modern rider?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Huh, so I guess a romance sub-plot between the two of them isn't out of the question. Eh, after this episode, I really don't mind it.

Fourze hate is just a cry for friendship.

Good question. I'm starting to wonder why they put so much effort into that Ex-Aid blurb if they're not gonna sub it.

If Shout Factory were to sub Kamen Rider, where would they even start? Black because of Masked Rider, Ryuki because of Dragon Knight (which honestly needs to be released digitally) or say fuck it and go with a more modern rider?

starting with black/rx puts them at the right spot to run through the heisei series. wed get kuuga and agito next

Pluto

I don't think they'll do Kamen Rider sets, they still use the Power Rangers connection and brand awareness to market their sentai sets, that wouldn't work for the rider shows at all.

Tiu Neo

Lots of new things to watch today, huh.

Snipe Episode Zero 1

This is... actually an important part of his story? This should have been on the series. Well, it has a lot happening already, can't really complain.

So, we never got a decent rip of Brave, after all? I was waiting for it, but may watch the bad rip anyway.

Will watch Ex-Aid and Amazons later today.

jwk94

I don't think they'll do Kamen Rider sets, they still use the Power Rangers connection and brand awareness to market their sentai sets, that wouldn't work for the rider shows at all.

I mean, you could still put "Before there was Power Rangers" on the box lol.

Tiu Neo

Ex-Aid 27

Nico is pretty competent. They should just give her the compatibility operation already. But then there would be no belt for her, I guess.

The new villain group is actually pretty entertaining. Reminds me a bit of early Roidmudes. Of course, the president is less of a Heart and more of a funny bastard. Then again, we could say Pallad is in command here, and all we know about him is that he's protecting the Bugster (when he wants too, but is ok with killing some of them sometimes), and that he has some kind of rivalry with Emu.

Nico and Taiga are easily the best characters since Dan died. I see what you are doing, Toei, don't even think about killing either of them.

Next episode, Poppy will be back (or brainwashed, kinda like Chase was... twice.)

EDIT:

Kamen Rider Amazons S2 02

Aroma Ozone, seriously? Heh.

Iyu's story is... not what I expected. Kinda explains why she's almost indestructible, and yed so... vulnerable? Chihiro is growing a bit as a character. I'm interested in what he'll become and what's his backstory. This looks more tragic than the first season, from the start. A bit more gory, too.

Team X didn't last long after all, huh.

And... dat ending. Can't wait for the next episode.

Parallax

kyuu -10- pretty good episode im actually rooting for kotaro. hes no justin at least.

one thing though, are there female suit actors amongst the mooks?

aroma ozone season 2-2 aroma ozone.... hilarous. i didnt mention it last week, but lady karas has some thick calves. very nice. and i was correct about my theory, but whoever came up with that is beyond fucked up. and iyus past... fuck. ocular trauma makes my skin crawl. kinda curious what haruka is there for. i thought he was protecting amazons?

extreme aid- 27taiga, jesus. why the hell was he dressing like someones moms who had to come down to school because they were acting up? and hes deathflagging all over the place, id like a plot twist, but i dont see that coming

jwk94

extreme aid- 27taiga, jesus. why the hell was he dressing like someones moms who had to come down to school because they were acting up? and hes deathflagging all over the place, id like a plot twist, but i dont see that coming

Don't worry, what's-her-name will bring him back once she wins Chronicle. Am I the only one who can't remember these character's names? Like, they're cool but their names are so forgettable this season, other than Emu. I only remember Poppy and Dan because their names are said so often. Otherwise, I don't even know these people's Rider names.

Slayven

I like that the riders couldn't fight the guy because of the rules of his game genre, would have been interesting if they played with that more

Parallax

Well, Chihiro and Iyu are killing Amazons...

But it is strange for him to be so preemptive after last season's ending.

These aren't his type of Amazon though. Hell they aren't aware that they are until it's too late and they don't seem to have any humanity anymore.

Tiu Neo

These aren't his type of Amazon though. Hell they aren't aware that they are until it's too late and they don't seem to have any humanity anymore.

True, but it could be that he just thinks those Amazon deserve a chance too, or something like that. However, those Amazon are pretty much feral, so I'm not too sure of that too, heh.

Well, we'll probably find out why next week.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Apparently Kyuranger isn't doing so hot ratings-wise, with only 1.8 in episode 7 (crossover episode - although Ex-Aid got 3.2 on that). It's the third lowest rated Sentai episode of all time apparently, and so early too as most of them are usually in the midpoint of the show.

WillyFive

Apparently Kyuranger isn't doing so hot ratings-wise, with only 1.8 in episode 7 (crossover episode - although Ex-Aid got 3.2 on that). It's the third lowest rated Sentai episode of all time apparently, and so early too as most of them are usually in the midpoint of the show.

TV Asahi's experiment isn't working I guess. The shows (both it and PR) need to head to Youtube where it's target audience is. Any Sentai or PR video gets massive numbers there, even subbed versions of Rider and Sentai movies get millions of views despite not being official releases.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
TV Asahi's experiment isn't working I guess. The shows (both it and PR) need to head to Youtube where it's target audience is. Any Sentai or PR video gets massive numbers there, even subbed versions of Rider and Sentai movies get millions of views despite not being official releases.

That'd be a weird experiment. YouTube exclusive Toku. Granted the majority of the money already comes from toy sales but would it work.

Maybe Toei should look into Netflix. Saban certainly needs to.

Big One

Banned
Hrm I wonder how well a third toku branch (similar to Metal Heroes of the past) but web exclusive would do. They could use it to secretly advertise Kamen Rider and Super Sentai as well (FE have random crossovers and crazy shit).

vareon

I want to see Gundam Build Fighters equivalent of Tokusatsu, basically a nostalgia show that is blatantly selling toys to nostalgic viewers, available free on Youtube. Akibarangers are kinda like that to SHF but SHF is very collector oriented.

Pluto

They're already doing amazons on Amazon, s o they are looking into streaming, just not for the Kids shows yet.
But I'm not sure the ratings matter that much, what they're really interested in are toy sales.

WillyFive

That'd be a weird experiment. YouTube exclusive Toku. Granted the majority of the money already comes from toy sales but would it work.

Not sure if Netflix will cover as much of their demographic, but you know what worked rather well? Twitch (at least for PR).

BatDan

Not sure if Netflix will cover as much of their demographic, but you know what worked rather well? Twitch (at least for PR).

That's a damn good point.
Got people that only cared for MMPR interested in the later seasons. Did a way better job than Saban and Nickelodeon have been attempting for the past 7(!) years.

jwk94

So Kamen Rider Wizard is airing in the US! On TVJapan! Unsubbed ><

Starts this Saturday at 6:45pm

Source

They really could've gone with a better season.

Big One

Banned
So Kamen Rider Wizard is airing in the US! On TVJapan! Unsubbed ><

Starts this Saturday at 6:45pm

Source

They really could've gone with a better season.
Not being subbed makes it a pointless release over here.

Really wish Crunchyroll will find a way to get KR on their J-Drama side. Does Saban have a license to KR in the West?

javadoze

Really wish Crunchyroll will find a way to get KR on their J-Drama side. Does Saban have a license to KR in the West?

If anything, I feel the lack of Sentai/Rider on Crunchyroll is more or less due to Toei/TV-Asahi being stingy or clueless on what to do with overseas distribution.

TVJapan is just a wholly JP language TV channel. Nothing on there is subbed. The only surprise here is that Toei are allowing it to be aired somewhere outside of Japan.

Big One

Banned
Just finished Gaim (still have to watch the Gaiden specials and the Wizard movie) and the ending is a bit...WAT. But kind of in a good way, just WAT. That's the most anime ending Kamen Rider has ever gotten but it somehow works for the show.

WillyFive

The ending is the one flaw I will credit to Gaim. It was going so epic until
Kouta and Mai went back to their home planet.
At that point, you just wrote yourself into ham.

Still not enough a reason to keep the show from being among the GOAT Riders though.

I agree that they should be like Sunrise with Gundam and drop their stuff on YouTube. Alternatively, work out the licensing issues and get it up on Crunchyroll or Amazon Instant. Then you make sure that it's easy for worldwide customers to buy your stuff.

Done.

Big One

Banned
The ending is the one flaw I will credit to Gaim. It was going so epic until
Kouta and Mai went back to their home planet.
At that point, you just wrote yourself into ham.

Still not enough a reason to keep the show from being among the GOAT Riders though.
I mean considering the goals Kouta and Kaito had, it really shouldn't have ended in any other way. It just when it happens that's literally the peak of where the series could go more or less. The last two episodes feel a bit tacked on in comparison though I do enjoy the time spent resolving loose ends and character arcs.

I'm gonna post my full thoughts tomorrow. I have a few criticisms with the show. I will give Gaim credit in that it has so much content to discuss that if Wizard was done up at Gaim's pace all 50 episodes of Wizard would be in 1 or 2 episodes instead.

NeonZ

I think the problem with Gaim's ending is that they make this entire build up about Kouta
challenging the laws of the world but in the end he just stands around and let's Sagara leave without doing anything.

Even if they didn't want something cliche where Sagara gets a monster form and blowing him up solves everything, the show should have ended with some kind of challenge to Sagara's system. Maybe Kouta pursuing Helheim everywhere to stop it from spreading to other worlds, rather than just taking care of that one planet, or even a failed attempt to defeat him just to show that even with Kouta's power that's beyond him.

BatDan

Didn't Crunchyroll try to get Kamen Rider but it ended up being way too expensive?
Toei needs to ease up on that. Give access to a worldwide audience.
It's not like there's going to be many new Japanese kids

Top Bottom