• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to point it out again, the overall rating is redundant, it's the demographic rating that is most important.

That and historically, there's always been a sharp drop after DBZ Kai aired. OPM has been the first anime to buck that trend, so it's not that Gundam is mystical not holding viewers. If Gundam and HxH were to flip spots there would still be a similar drop.

Seda

I have to point it out again, the overall rating is redundant, it's the demographic rating that is most important.

I think everybody realizes this, but it's not as fun looking at whether DBZ got a .5 or a .6 or if One Piece broke a .3

That and historically, there's always been a sharp drop after DBZ Kai aired. OPM has been the first anime to buck that trend, so it's not that Gundam is mystical not holding viewers. If Gundam and HxH were to flip spots there would still be a similar drop.

Yeah, I havent gotten ratings every week, but this week for example, OPM was actually listed higher in the rankings than DBZ (despite lower total numbers). People are tuning it specifically for that show.

Seda

Oh I guess we should do a new thread for October and November and probably December.

Anyone *cough*ckohler*cough* want to make some show banners?

Soulflarz

Banned
I see he goes off at someone for saying the videos are weird in the replies

like or dislike, those videos are really weird imho, you can't just randomly show someone those as a music video without them going ???

I've always felt that music videos are way preferable to commercials, which is mostly what they take the place of time-wise, and the same anime opening week in,week out. Whether I like them or not, they're an interesting experience that I'm just not gonna be exposed to otherwise in most cases. Most of the Naruto openings are cool (and let's be honest, the only redeeming quality of the show a worrying amount of the time), but they're out there on the Internet if you want them and they're a known quantity after the first week, and that's just not nearly as interesting tbh

zulux21

Just as long as we don't have to deal with Re: Zero.

it's at least a year away if it does come.

I hope it does.
I think the reactions would be great.

especially since it's currently my AOTY.
just like OPM was my AOTY last year so it would be nice to see my AOTY continue to be on toonami :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am not even sure who has distribution rights to Re: Zero now that I think about it. I would have to imagine it being quite the hot commodity given that love or hate it, it is THE breakout hit of anime in 2016.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I just wish the Music Videos would OCASSIONALLY be something thematically appropriate to the block. Go from Japanese Anime and Action cartoons to drugged out trippy oddities and the same brand of crass, easy "we're doing different than the established norms, we must be AWESOME!" stuff all the time...

Like I remember the first time I saw Drum Machine back on Albino Black Sheep years back... that kind of stuff is simple in scope, not mind-blowingly expensive to produce, and could probably be done by a small group, or even a single person.

(Speaking of AlbinoBlackSheep, yes, every positive memory of mine, from nearly ANYTHING, can be linked to KOF somehow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U61tFye7uaU)

Really, the Heaven's Countryland stuff was probably more fitting of what I expect out of a twisted late night Toonami, than most of the MVs.

Jarate

Banned
I've always felt that music videos are way preferable to commercials, which is mostly what they take the place of time-wise, and the same anime opening week in,week out. Whether I like them or not, they're an interesting experience that I'm just not gonna be exposed to otherwise in most cases. Most of the Naruto openings are cool (and let's be honest, the only redeeming quality of the show a worrying amount of the time), but they're out there on the Internet if you want them and they're a known quantity after the first week, and that's just not nearly as interesting tbh

I agree, but it would be nice is Demarco wasnt always choosing very similar songs. There has basically been electronic music and very little hip hop, and very little metal and rock.

Im sure the different genres within electronic have been different, but we're talking about mostly very very modern music (which makes sense) but it would be nice for a little diversity in time periods. Since most people wont like the music choices Demarco makes, it would makew sense to heavily diversify what music gets put up. Also, we dont know the relationships between why the songs air when they air. It could generally be mostly agents asking Demarco to put music up, it could be Demarco choosing it himself, it could be a whole slew of things

Also, we need to make a petition for Jojo's OP to be full. Im sure if they get enough push, we can get it done since I don't think it's a money thing with him, but a preference thing for American TV viewers.

bigkrev

In my post about MNF, I was actually talking about how incredible it is that reruns of a cartoon show at midnightcan do 1/6th the veiwers of something ESPN pays almost 2 BILLION dollars a year to show for 16 weeks.

Jarate

Banned
In my post about MNF, I was actually talking about how incredible it is that reruns of a cartoon show at midnightcan do 1/6th the veiwers of something ESPN pays almost 2 BILLION dollars a year to show for 16 weeks.

A lot of people go to bars and such for those types of games, but it's still very impressive

Anime itself hasnt been on mainstream TV for years, and now it's hitting over a million consistently for at least 2 shows

download.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It didn't really work as a night show, & might've worked better if it was shorter. Also wasn't the tone I was expecting, based on my limited knowledge from Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom & what I learned about the original series.

Granted, I feel like I need to give the series a rewatch at this point.

Seda

heh, I thought the original gif (made by LOLDSFAN, I believe) was minus hosted and thus lost to the ether because minus sucks

Jarate

Banned
heh, I thought the original gif (made by LOLDSFAN, I believe) was minus hosted and thus lost to the ether because minus sucks

I saved this gif around when the epiduo commercials were airing still

It says I downloaded it Monday September 1st, 2014

i stopped watching this pretty early. Is it worth finishing?

I just remember it being unrelentingly depressing for no good reason.

Hmmm, recommending Casshern is a hard question. I always personally felt the narrative tone was earned, but that is a very subjective opinion. It's certainly not a happy show, but I enjoyed it. Though I guess I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoy games like Silent Hill.

That said, if you didn't like the beginning, I don't think later episodes will grab you.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I was really let down by Casshern Sins, similar to how I was let down by Samurai 7. Cash at least had a great style to it. But I started to roll my eyes at the overly bleak stuff eventually.

Tatsunoko stuff is really Formulatic in a way, but I don't always mind that. I still love Tekkaman Blade, I enjoyed the edgy 90s Hurricane Polymar I saw... I enjoyed the original Casshern.

But the "Listen to your Heart" song was worth it, so I feel decent about the show overall.

They need to put more retro synth music videos on again, like "Last Moon" from Kn1ght. Now that is the perfect drug of colors.
Oh yeah, extra shoutout for helping me remember this one. Definitely one of the better Modern Toonami MVs for me. More like this would be welcome.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's the thing. I wouldn't say I hate Casshern by any means, but I wasn't expecting it to be such a downer, especially compared to the other shows airing at the time. & again, it wasn't the tone I was expecting from the company that made Gatchaman Crowds, a SUPER colorful show with a bubbly main character, or a comedy about a mermaid or a guy who fights using a hammer & ball while riding around on a giant robotic dog or pelican that spouts out deus ex machinas to win the fight each episode.

Now granted, part of it was kind of my fault thinking it was going to be a little light-hearted via the impression I got from reading the wiki article on the original series & seeing the OP among other Tatsunoko properties that made it into the Capcom fighter. I think if I was in the right mindset, I might see some things that I didn't notice before. It kind of clashed with the "mood" I was looking for when it came to Toonami & compared to other shows that were airing at the time.

Moaradin

Casshern Sins is pretty underrated imo. Not many people here seem to be very positive about it.

Out of all the early revival shows, I think that one was one of the better ones.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Casshern Sins stands out for being a rare anime that's just pure bleekness through and through. Most dark series at least start light-hearted or have something to lighten the mood. I applaud the risk, especially for an established character like Casshern (well, established in Japan).
I'm not sure if I'll ever watch it again, but I'm glad I saw it.

On another note, once we get to Battle Tendency, how fast and plentiful will the Codename KND jokes be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom