• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
UcdcmUp.gif

Mizerman

I mean, considering Videl and Gohan are married and out of college it makes sense to have it be more than a few months.

Which means there's still room for a spin-off to take those four years and do something fun with them. Videl/Gohan HS hijinks, someone make it happen.

Turn the Saiyaman arc into an actual series.

cntr

Banned
Gohan is plenty popular in Japan. He's not like, Vegeta or Goku popular, of course, but they don't hate him or anything.

Gohan is plenty popular in Japan. He's not like, Vegeta or Goku popular, of course, but they don't hate him or anything.

Every character has their fans, but Gohan's fan base isn't nearly as big over there as it is here.

For the latest arc, they had a poll for who people would like to do their best in the current arc in Tokyo and characters like Piccolo, Master Roshi and Tien beat him.

Admittedly, it was a low sample size, but a lot of his episodes tend to have low ratings over there from what I've seen.

cntr

Banned
It's not as big as here's, yeah, but I don't think it's that small. Ratings and tournament polls seem like a bad way to gauge it.

Edit: Here's the popularity poll from Dragonball Forever, a databook they released back in 2004:

1. Goku: 6,235 points
2. Vegeta: 2,527 points
3. Gohan: 2,131 points
4. Trunks: 1,487 points
5. Piccolo: 1,176 points
6. Goten: 798 points
7. Krillin: 736 points
8. Buu: 421 points
9. Frieza: 324 points
10. Android 18: 204 points
11. Mister Satan: 201 points
12. Korin: 185 points
13. Master Roshi: 172 points
14. Cell: 170 points
15. Yamcha: 163 points
16. Tenshinhan: 125 points
17. Bulma: 112 points
18. Android 17: 98 points
19. Yajirobe: 93 points
20. Videl: 86 points
It's nearly 15 years old, but Dragonball's hasn't done much in that period until recently with Super, so it should be close to what people still think today.

The popularity polls around the time of SSJ2 Gohan looked like this

1. Son Gohan (51,921 votes)
2. Son Goku (48,256 votes)
3. Trunks (29,627 votes)
4. Vegeta (17,383 votes)
5. Piccolo (9,454 votes)
6. Klilin (7,438 votes)
7. Mr. Satan (1,892 votes)
8. Cell (1,769 votes)
9. Bulma (1,135 votes)
10. Dende (756 votes)

While Buu Saga looked like this:

1. Son Goku (10,492 votes)
2. Vegeta (7,019 votes)
3. Trunks (6,537 votes)
4. Gotenks (6,102 votes)
5. Piccolo (5,515 votes)
6. Son Gohan*
7. Son Goten*
8. Yamcha*
9. Freeza*
10. Klilin*
*=votes not shown.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The crazy part about that is that Gohan has an incredible moment in him left in this arc...
that leads to his ultimate shame.

It should also be noted that despite Tien's big "holding back Cell" moment that everyone brings up, it seems the fans over there were having none of it.

cntr

Banned
You know, while we're on this topic, people complain about Toriyama's writing, but if you think about it, it makes sense why it got so rough.

After Frieza, the series was on a roll. So Toriyama decided to start a new arc, starring Android 19 and 20. But then his editors told him they weren't cool enough, so he threw that plot out and brought in Android 17 and 18. Then they told him they weren't good enough and to come up with a villain like Frieza, so he made Cell.

Then he killed off Goku to wipe the slate clean with Gohan, went off on a classic goofy arc with Saiyaman and Videl, and then he gets told that people want Goku back so he now has to throw all his plans for a Gohan and Videl series out of the window, and do yet another repeat of Frieza and Cell with Buu.

I think anybody would be like "fuck this" after all that.

It's not as big as here's, yeah, but I don't think it's that small. Ratings and tournament polls seem like a bad way to gauge it.

Edit: Here's the popularity poll from Dragonball Forever, a databook they released back in 2004:

It's nearly 15 years old, but Dragonball's hasn't done much in that period until recently with Super, so it should be close to what people still think today.

The latest poll out of Tokyo looked like this. Obvious Spoilers for characters that are active in the latest arc in Japan.

1. Freeza (23 votes)
2. Vegeta (21 votes)
3.Goku (19 votes)
4. Piccolo (14 votes)
5. Master Roshi (13 votes)
6. Krillin (12 votes)
7. Android 18 (11 votes)
8. Tien (8 votes)
9. Gohan (7 votes)
10. Andriod 17 (5 votes)

Sample Size: 133 People surveyed in Tokyo

cntr

Banned
Yeah, but that's just 133 people, and "I hope this character does good in the arc" is different from "this is my favorite character".
Especially given Gohan's arc importance.

Yeah, but that's just 133 people, and "I hope this character does good in the arc" is different from "this is my favorite character".
Especially given Gohan's arc importance.

I doubt it would be that different honestly. I don't see nearly the same enthusiasm for Gohan over there versus here since a lot of people grew up with Gohan as Z aired in the United States.

He honestly hasn't really had much importance yet either, but they have been giving him a lot more focus.

We likely won't ever know for sure until we get a poll that's a little more recent than 13 years ago.

Jarate

Banned
As someone who's just been around the Dragon Ball fandom, my idea about Japanese likes

Frieza Saga = Best DBZ Arc

King Piccolo = Best DB Arc

Future Trunks is super popular over there (He's probably top 3-5 popularity when I probably couldn't say the same around here)

Frieza is the favorite villain

They don't really like the Cell and Android Arc (I can see why. The manga post Frieza was not that good IMO)

Nappa isn't nearly as popular (you can thank TFS not being Japanese)

I don't think Broly is that popular in Japan (Not sure honestly)

They have no discussion over the GOAT soundtrack by Falcouner

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Probably Treasure Planet on account that Atlantis at least had another movie that seemed like a pilot for a TV series.

What do you guys think is the more forgettable Disney film?

Treasure Planet or Atlantis: The Lost Empire?

Treasure Planet for me. Some of the blandest character designs in a Disney film and a largely forgettable cast (outside of Brian Murray's performance as John Silver) surrounded in a setting that doesn't have much to offer aside from FUTURE GADGET GIMMICKS.

Atlantis had beautiful art direction and a fun cast, but it wasn't smart enough for the crowd it (I guess, it's hard to tell with it) was aiming for.

As someone who's just been around the Dragon Ball fandom, my idea about Japanese likes

Frieza Saga = Best DBZ Arc

King Piccolo = Best DB Arc

Future Trunks is super popular over there (He's probably top 3-5 popularity when I probably couldn't say the same around here)

Frieza is the favorite villain

They don't really like the Cell and Android Arc (I can see why. The manga post Frieza was not that good IMO)

Nappa isn't nearly as popular (you can thank TFS not being Japanese)

I don't think Broly is that popular in Japan (Not sure honestly)

They have no discussion over the GOAT soundtrack by Falcouner

I'm always curious about how popular Broly really is because they sure love slapping him as buying incentive for all of the video games.

Jarate

Banned
Kai fucks up the fight scenes in DBZ a whole shit ton. Buu kai is paced perfectly imo with a decent soundtrack.

People prefer Kai, but i'd honestly select OG DBZ over Kai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom