• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
Good dubs, especially Dragonball but also shows like Hunter x Hunter, Space Dandy, SAC, or Jojo, they change stuff up and rephrase things to make them work with an English-speaker's sense of what's entertaining. Subs are usually too literal to do that.

Plus, I figure if I'm watching a TV show, I want to hear lines be spoken in voices I understand, rather than having to read them off the bottom of the screen.

caliph95

I still hate because of Toei or someone important rushing everything we had to suffer two good 4 hours combined movies to about like 10 though the dub is great I would have rather skipped to the good parts

Chase17

I can kind of see the point of a separate dub thread since they might be watching the 8:30 airing which we don't talk about in here. Wouldn't be surprised if that thread doesn't live too long though.

Seda

Small question

Person in that DBS dub thread saying Trunks and Goten are "13-15"? Doesnt DB Super take place roughly a year or two after Buu? (We've seen Pan born during Super so we know some time has passed.)

Still, if Trunk/Goten are like 8/7 during Buu, wouldn't they be like 10 and 9 at most?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They look NOTHING like a teenager. They still look like the same age as in Kai.

Gohan was a teen when Buu happened since he went to high school.

cntr

Banned
checking it: no yeah, Trunks and Goten should be around 10 and 9 in Super

the first episode of Super was about 6 months after Buu, so we're like, about a year after at this point?

cntr

Banned
well, if first episode of Super happened 6 months after Buu, and Pan was born by the beginning of the next arc, and the current arc happens immediately after, then Super should be a bit more than a year after Buu

qed.

caliph95

The less people the better. I honestly think the more outsiders you get into a community thread the more chance you get of one nutcase disrupting the flow and energy of the thread with combative bullshit.
I agree with that a lot of the benefits of the community threads is the amount of regulars vs outsiders
Comicgaf while negative is a lot more fun for example than random comic threads where you get shitposters not the fin kind and hot takes

And depending on thread can be negative
The Super thread puts WAY too much thought into what they're watching. I'm one of the least active people in that thread...that should tell you something.
What does that say about me :'(

caliph95

I'm going to get a lot of use out of this

images

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just started watching Madoka Magica after hearing so much about it all these years... well things get dark fast to say the least. I love the art style changes that occur for the Labyrinths and witches.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just started watching Madoka Magica after hearing so much about it all these years... well things get dark fast to say the least. I love the art style changes that occur for the Labyrinths and witches.
oh man, my friend was like "I watched an episode or two & didn't get why everyone was talking about it, seemed generic..."

I told him "make it a few more episodes, you'll see" & teased him that things would get more "serious".

TheSun

One of my video editing classes spoiled the hell out of Madoka (and parasyte, which I haven't finished).

Can't say I can take it seriously with it looking like...wide-face show I can't remember the name of.

caliph95

I mean they were hints of it in the beginning if you look for it

I notice it because I was told how dark it is

As an Anime noob back then that psycho pass, zero and madoka made me worship urobachi

I can't believe Outlaw Star is back on tv. I missed it when that April Fools event happened, and I wasn't happy (even though I own the series on DVD).

Wild West, Y2K Style

Small question

Person in that DBS dub thread saying Trunks and Goten are "13-15"? Doesnt DB Super take place roughly a year or two after Buu? (We've seen Pan born during Super so we know some time has passed.)

Still, if Trunk/Goten are like 8/7 during Buu, wouldn't they be like 10 and 9 at most?

The Buu saga was age 774, and Beerus woke up in age 778 so Super starts four years after the end of the Buu arc.

Toei doesn't want to update Goten and Trunk's character models without Toriyama's designing it, so they just keep it the same.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For some reason I thought the time skip between Buu and Super was minimal, huh

I mean, considering Videl and Gohan are married and out of college it makes sense to have it be more than a few months.

Which means there's still room for a spin-off to take those four years and do something fun with them. Videl/Gohan HS hijinks, someone make it happen.

cntr

Banned
Okay, so: The first episode of Super claims it takes place 6 months after Buu, but they might've retconned it. A lot of people say Super is 4 years after Buu, but I'm not sure where that comes from. And the ending of DBZ has Pan be 4 years old, which would make Super 6 years after Buu, but they might've retconned that too.

So the answer is: who the fuck knows.

Okay, so: The first episode of Super claims it takes place 6 months after Buu, but they might've retconned it. A lot of people say Super is 4 years after Buu, but I'm not sure where that comes from. And the ending of DBZ has Pan be 4 years old, which would make Super 6 years after Buu, but they might've retconned that too.

The Battle of Gods movie took place 4 years after the Buu Saga. Super then retconned it to be 6 months after the Buu Saga.

Regiruler

Wasn't Videl still pregnant with Pan at the start of super?

That makes no sense. Especially considering where Gohan and Videl are.

I'm looking it up again and apparently the narrator said they made a wish on the dragon balls 6 months after the Buu Saga and then apparently some additional time passed.

So I guess it really was still 4 years after Buu.

The Battle of Gods movie took place 4 years after the Buu Saga. Super then retconned it to be 6 months after the Buu Saga.

The 6-month line was referring to the time afterwards where the Z fighters wished away the humans memory of Buu.

In the original sub of Super, all that was said was that the earth had a period of peace after Buu without listing a date.

Here's the timeline so far just pay attention to the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom