• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

Do the Joseph dance
7a7.gif
But he should have the easiest time killing it.

BBboy20

"Hey kakyoin don't people who make stupid puns annoy you or is it just me"
That was pretty much the final line/panel in volume 1.

Guess the new concern now is the color scheme. MonHun has some of the best art around and with it going HD, it can finally show the world what it's made of and yet it looks so drabby. LIke the colors are not going to pop. Also unsure about blood being replaced with...rocks?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was pretty much the final line/panel in volume 1.

Guess the new concern now is the color scheme. MonHun has some of the best art around and with it going HD, it can finally show the world what it's made of and yet it looks so drabby. LIke the colors are not going to pop. Also unsure about blood being replaced with...rocks?

There is blood they just took it out of the demos

So I'm watching Lupin Episode 8 on Funimation and my God, this is the worst "little kid" voice I've ever heard. The little girl sounds like she's straight out of South Park.

"I have to tell you how to disable my bombs for them to activate and also I can deactivate them by touching thumbs with these other two guys". While fighting with auras is explained in tons of details, the powers themselves feel disconnected from those explanations, and still feel like "it's magic, just accept it".

Except one of the abilities of the Bomb Devil literally can't work until he explains what it does. It's kinda funny. An ability that powerful needed a good enough condition/drawback, and that's what Gen had chosen. Supposedly a play on how the villains tend to say exactly what they're about to do before actually doing it, but this time for a reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I'm watching Lupin Episode 8 on Funimation and my God, this is the worst "little kid" voice I've ever heard. The little girl sounds like she's straight out of South Park.
It's like they forgot to get someone to voice her & someone had their kid in the studio, so they just used her. Thank goodness she wasn't the lead for the episode.

caliph95

Except one of the abilities of the Bomb Devil literally can't work until he explains what it does. It's kinda funny. An ability that powerful needed a good enough condition/drawback, and that's what Gen had chosen. Supposedly a play on how the villains tend to say exactly what they're about to do before actually doing it, but this time for a reason.
It helps people tend to listen if you tell them you plant bomb on them

I cannot fucks you up until I tell you specifically how I'm going to fucks you up.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still can't get over how stupid the whole "well we called ourselves something in Japanese, therefore they're totally gonna look for someone in Japan" plot point is.

That'd be like if they were all "WELL, WE'RE CALLED "LE KILLER", SO OBVIOUSLY THEY'LL LOOK FOR SOMEONE IN FRANCE"

If you can't think of a good way to incorporate something because of the change in location, just don't do it at all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Live-action Ryuk is easily the best thing to come from that. Holy crap, does that look creepy.

....but that gif bugs me because you can briefly see the "press esc to exit full screen" prompt.

The Death Note movie seems like it's trying to match the straight faced absurdity of the anime to an extent.

The problem is, the"take a chip and eat it" scene was clearly supposed to be amusing. It's supposed to make you laugh.

When I look at the live action film, I'm not sure which parts I'm supposed to take seriously.

Oh yeah if some of you are complaining about complicated Nen shit now then...well you guys need to hold onto your butts. Because there's one that's really going to fuck with your heads. It's that stupid complicated.

cntr

Banned
Nen is pretty straight-forward. Togashi is just terrible at explaining it.

I usually think of nen as being two separate but interrelated systems -- there's the general fighting system based around aura manipulation, and then there's the specific hatsu, which follow their own special rules, based around the category and limitation system. Or in other words, it's a martial arts ki system + a detailed magic system. (And they're not really that separate when you get down to the details, but that just gets confusing.)

And, to be fair, a lot of the naming issues are translation problems. The literal translations of ten, zetsu, ren, and hatsu are "shroud", "suppress", "enhance" and "release", for example, so it's actually really straight-forward and literal. But the dub couldn't get away with translating them into English, people would complain.

Nen is pretty straight-forward. Togashi is just terrible at explaining it.

I usually think of nen as being two separate but interrelated systems -- there's the general fighting system based around aura manipulation, and then there's the specific hatsu, which follow their own special rules, based around the category and limitation system. Or in other words, it's a martial arts ki system + a detailed magic system. (And they're not really that separate when you get down to the details, but that just gets confusing.)

And, to be fair, a lot of the naming issues are translation problems. The literal translations of ten, zetsu, ren, and hatsu are "shroud", "suppress", "enhance" and "release", for example, so it's actually really straight-forward and literal. But the dub couldn't get away with translating them into English, people would complain.
Hatsu's start getting really fucking weird though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nen is all about aura at its base. Everything Nen related is made from aura that has been manipulated and given some specific use in some manner by its user. Something as simple enough as using it to shield yourself from attacks or to strength your own natural abilities to far more elaborate and complex things like creating a clone (Kastro) or transforming it into electricity directly (Killua). Get the basics down and then mastering them is important as the more efficient your use of Nen and the more fine tuned you can become in its innerworkings the greater the abilities and strength of a Hatsu as well as improving just about everything else.

The training might seem redundant in some ways but if you can't get the simple stuff down pat you're never going to be a great Nen user. That is unless you use conditions but even making smart decisions about what rules and risks you apply to your powers can separate the good Nen users from the great ones.

Edit: I love nuanced power systems over vague ones that let their characters do whatever because of the rule of cool. Nen can has this issue at times but with how "grounded" a lot of the basic ideas are it makes a lot of sense. As I said its like he basically developed the RPG aspect of a videogame but as a narrative tool for his writing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, so, I might as well ask a valid question instead of just ranting about another of DBZ's many problems.

How "powerful" is Shenron exactly? We've never given any indication (from what I can remember) of his "strength" or "power" aside from summoning items for people or bringing back hundreds of people back from the dead except for those who're "more powerful" or being told "I can't do it because *insert character like Beerus* is stronger than me"

Not to mention, it's been stated they can create new dragon balls as shown by the Namekian ones, so why not make some that're able to do more powerful things?

Edit: I guess just to cover all my bases, do we know if Shenron has the power to grant a wish among the lines of "I wish we could go back a day" or "please take us back to 6 hours ago" similar to Whis?

caliph95

Alright, so, I might as well ask a valid question instead of just ranting about another of DBZ's many problems.

How "powerful" is Shenron exactly? We've never given any indication (from what I can remember) of his "strength" or "power" aside from summoning items for people or bringing back hundreds of people back from the dead except for those who're "more powerful" or being told "I can't do it because *insert character like Beerus* is stronger than me"

Not to mention, it's been stated they can create new dragon balls as shown by the Namekian ones, so why not make some that're able to do more powerful things?

Edit: I guess just to cover all my bases, do we know if Shenron has the power to grant a wish among the lines of "I wish we could go back a day" or "please take us back to 6 hours ago" similar to Whis?
No we don't know if he can manipulate time though I doubt it.

Shenron is as strong as he's "master" who right now is Dende, who while not a fighter is stronger or really more powerful than Kami was

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
No we don't know if he can manipulate time though I doubt it.

Shenron is as strong as he's "master" who right now is Dende, who while not a fighter is stronger or really more powerful than Kami was
Considering Whis has the ability, my guess is it was either addressed previous or toriyama forgot to have someone ask shenron to do that, especially with the cell saga having time travel when trunks could've used the dragon balls to wish him back ## years to stop the androids or wished the androids good & nope, I'm going off topic.

On the one hand, that kind of makes sense, but then again, I'm trying to think of when we ever saw Dende's powers aside from the Frieza arc, becoming the new Kami, & making the new Dragon Balls. But I just wanted to ask since I want to make sure when I criticize something, I'm doing so with the right facts/knowledge, so feel free to correct me on anything I might have wrong.

Ya know, despite Togashi over explaining Nen, at the very least it feels like he's trying to cover his bases & treats it like a RPG mechanic (basically MP put into different forms of aura is how I'm being told is the simplest way of summarizing it). It's confusing at times, absolutely, but I still get a sense that he put a lot of thought into it. With DBZ, I feel like it's left too broad/inconsistent as to what it can & can't deus ex machina, especially when in last night's episode, not even a few minutes after Bulma's parent stated "you can just wish us back alive with the dragon balls if we somehow die", they completely forget that when Gohan is stated to be dead (which...Goku shouldn't really know from what I remember, let alone saw the body). Why am I suppose to feel tension when literally a moment ago, you completely removed it with telling us death has no consequences?

....alright, that's my complaint about DBZ for the week. I'm going to try to leave the more rantish/reactionary comments for during the show itself & try to be more constructive the rest of the time.

From the Toonami Tumblr

EN GARDE!

And I do agree that Togashi had been terrible at explaining Nen. Plus I think he got a bit complacent after the 1999 anime ended, or after he concluded the Phantom Troupe Arc.
While the 2011 anime did get rid of some small things I actually liked out of the G.I. Arc, it is a much more palatable week-to-week experience this way

cntr

Banned
The real issue with Dragon Ball is that it started out as a light-hearted comedic series, and the general inconsistency of the universe makes sense when everything was always a bit tongue-in-cheek. Z, on the other hand, is really serious all the way through, which brings with it an expectation of more consistency than a light-hearted series does.

I suspect, in retrospect, that the editor interference that resulted in Cell and Buu just caused the seriousness of the Frieza saga to take over the entire series, and it wasn't meant to be that way. And the anime ups the seriousness even more, hence Toriyama pushing hard in the other direction with Super.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom