• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun15| Thread made with armor plating from a SPACE BATTLESHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's debatable.

Not at all, fairy tail for its generic blandness and over reliance on shonen trope plot points is still far better from a plot/narrative point of view then sao.

I would like to see some numbers on the Funimation dvd/blu-ray sales on Fairy Tail vs. One Piece. I don't know if that info is publicly available though.

They upscale fairy tail to blu ray and release it as a premium thing, they don't do the same treatment for One Piece. They DO however do that treatment with dbz/kai. Take that how you will

man all this nerd taste elitism sure is fucking dumb

maybe one piece isn't really as great as you keep loudly and repeatedly telling everyone it is

but no, americans are just too stupid to understand oda-sama's genius

i remember being snapped at for bringing up the possibility of a fairy tale for one piece swap

both series hover around mediocre-good overall imo, one piece just has higher highs

Jarate

Banned
One Piece is a show that I think Adult Swim wants to turn into a new Inuyasha or Bleach, something that will probably last forever and have new episodes, and will probably be a cheaper buy then other more popular shows.

Grexeno

One Piece is a show that I think Adult Swim wants to turn into a new Inuyasha or Bleach, something that will probably last forever and have new episodes, and will probably be a cheaper buy then other more popular shows.
I really don't see this being Adult Swim's relationship with One Piece at all.

daveo42

Banned
Some of this One Piece talk makes me wonder if they've already started having conversations with Funi about the next major arc. I'm assuming that depending on the overall ratings, they might renegotiate costs to keep the show on the air.

It's still doing well and I hope it continues to air on Toonami, but with it consistently performing worse than all other long running shows on the block, my guess is that serious discussions about its future on the block are or will be had.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
DeMarco has said multiple times he loves the series, so it's likely going to stay around for a while.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Joseph and Johnathan over Jotaro and Dio?

I'm hoping that like JSS -> JUS we'll see a second version of J stars victory vs with more characters and more series

Jotaro and SD Dio hadn't been animated yet, and this game draws from the anime as opposed to the JSS series which drew from the manga.

J-Stars even calls the series "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure The Animation" when talking about what series Jonathan and Joseph are from.

I bet Jotaro will totally be in the next game if there is one.

Grexeno

DeMarco has said multiple times he loves the series, so it's likely going to stay around for a while.
Well, when that douche from programming comes around and says, "We've run the numbers and Fairy Tail will outperform One Piece in any timeslot so replace it" he won't really have a choice.

daveo42

Banned

Loving the series and how it does in the ratings are two completely different things. He'll probably fight for it, but even then if Adult Swim and/or advertisers don't want to pay for it based on ratings, then we'll get something else. That's why I think dependent on current ratings for the show, they might end up needing to renegotiate costs and Funi might not bite or offer up something else to replace it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He also said it does just fine in its current slot. Remember you're not getting miracles out of 2:30am. It's real ratings problem was when it was near to headlining the block.

Grexeno

He also said it does just fine in its current slot. Remember you're not getting miracles out of 2:30am. It's real ratings problem was when it was near to headlining the block.
The problem is that Fairy Tail likely beats it in ratings in ANY timeslot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another feather in FT's cap is that it was actually cheap enough for FUNIMATION CHANNEL to air at one point. A channel which literally had one major cable company having it on its package. One Piece/DBZ never even sniffed the channel.

daveo42

Banned

Which is fine depending on how much they are spending on the show itself and how many advertisers they can keep around that late at night.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well, when that douche from programming comes around and says, "We've run the numbers and Fairy Tail will outperform One Piece in any timeslot so replace it" he won't really have a choice.
Considering that Demarco thinks One Piece isn't as popular due to its art style and length, I seriously doubt they'll ever replace it with its Chinese knock-off

Here are some manga charts for the US:

Top Manga Properties Fall/Holidays 2013
Top Manga Properties Fall/Holidays 2014

Fairy Tail ranks higher than One Piece there. Dunno anywhere to find anime sales, though.

Let me just put this to rest, since you guys like to keep bringing up Fairy Tail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi659o8rs1l27gp/FUNimation December 2014 Solicitations.pdf?dl=0

As of 2014 in North America:
Fairy Tail - 30,000 copies sold
One Piece - 220,000 copies sold

Good night.

Let me just put this to rest, since you guys like to keep bringing up Fairy Tail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi659o8rs1l27gp/FUNimation December 2014 Solicitations.pdf?dl=0

As of 2014 in North America:
Fairy Tail - 30,000 copies sold
One Piece - 220,000 copies sold

Good night.

I don't think the anime is a good adaptation at all. Any joy I get from the anime is due to association and even then a lot of iconic moments from the manga end up being flaccid in the anime, Marineford is pretty much the embodiment of this. My ideal situation regarding the anime isn't for a Kai version but for another studio entirely being given the reigns to adapt it; probably Madhouse considering how good Ippo, HxH and Black Lagoon turned out.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm kinda selfish in that I don't really care if something rates well or not. I don't care if the things I watch are the popular things. I have no stake in anything here. It's more a plain vanilla curiosity to see what the big picture is. (I view videogame sale numbers similarly)

I also don't care to speculate what William's Street wants to see in ratings.

For the most part, I have to agree. Games especially. My only stake is the amount I paid for the game. If the game is good, I don't really care if it sold well or not. The only time I do care is when I suddenly have the stake of "this game sold terribly and now the sequel will never get green-lighted", but besides for that, a thing being "slightly popular and profitable" vs "best selling of all time" does nothing for me other than suddenly having to hear all my friends talk about how this now interesting series which has actually been around forever is now a thing they'll be talking about every release with me. Which can be cool, but it can also be very annoying, depending on the product.

No they would just cut the block down to 2.5 hours. This isn't the 90s anymore AS isn't going to tell them what to air just when they can air it.

Raxus

I don't think the anime is a good adaptation at all. Any joy I get from the anime is due to association and even then a lot of iconic moments from the manga end up being flaccid in the anime, Marineford is pretty much the embodiment of this. My ideal situation regarding the anime isn't for a Kai version but for another studio entirely being given the reigns to adapt it; probably Madhouse considering how good Ippo, HxH and Black Lagoon turned out.

Can I just take a minute to say how happy I am One Punch Man is made by Madhouse?

So happy.

J-Stars is pretty clunky, but I love the fan service. Also Seiya is really good from who I've played with so far. My PSN is chicagocubsfan if anyone wants to play online sometime.

Tenumi

Banned
Another feather in FT's cap is that it was actually cheap enough for FUNIMATION CHANNEL to air at one point. A channel which literally had one major cable company having it on its package. One Piece/DBZ never even sniffed the channel.

Wait.... now I really don't understand Funi's channel. They have to pay to air their own licensed properties?

Isn't it new thread time

I do believe it is.

I just found out through my Buddy that an arcade near me has the Japanese versions of Initial D and Midnight Tune. I know where I'll be spending my summer!

Grexeno

Hey guys, NeoGAF has added the ability to spoiler tag images!

z5cwr8n.gif

Hmm, how do these load on mobile? ie will they still cache and crash if I do an all gif review tagged?

As far as I can tell the spoiler gifs don't work on mobile as the gif in question just showed up, I also have gifs turned off so they only appear when I click them on mobile so I really dunno what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom