• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's Saudi speech to urge unity against radical Islam

sazzy

the real question:

is anything in this speech going to be backed by sensible policy?

edit: whatever he's saying today - who knows what he's going to say tomorrow??

Speech was fine, nothing surprising. Delivery was pretty poor. He managed to stay on script but i expected that. He is not in his comfort zone where he knows he can safely ramble his crazy.

To me these kind of speeches from Trump are the worst because they are so disingenuous. As an adult you don't get praise for a speech that is delivered competently. As a political leader you have to be believe what you are saying. He clearly doesn't.

To me these kind of speeches from Trump are the worst because they are so disingenuous. As an adult you don't get praise for a speech that is delivered competently. As a political leader you have to be believe what you are saying. He clearly doesn't.

He just became President for the first time part deux.

Xando

the real question:

is anything in this speech going to be backed by sensible policy?

Like what?

His ME policy is basically fuck iran and arm the saudis.

He indirectly calls for regime change in iran because their people are opressed and ignores rouhani has won in a landslide a few days ago.

It's funny though he wants to supply the Saudi with arms (which will go to Rebels in Syria) at same time trying to be buddies with russia who is Assad's biggest enablers. It's cowardice, not foreign policy.

Secondly he was asking leaders to drive out opposition. Yet most of these leaders as strongmen have used the same lines to lock up any and all opposition. When Obama first gave his speech he called for stronger institutions not strongmen. Which would be the best way to reduce terrorism and the influence of terrorists groups. Trump again just goes to someone's house and gives lip service without any real policy.

Shadybiz

Caught bits and pieces. Overall, seemed like a well-written speech (which we know he didn't actually write). His delivery is just extremely bad. He really has trouble reading, lol (I was listening on the radio in the car, so I'm assuming he was reading off a teleprompter).

But, he stayed on script, so I guess CNN will call this "the second moment where Trump became President," haha;

Edit: Crap! Beaten by DontBeThatGuy.

Caught bits and pieces. Overall, seemed like a well-written speech (which we know he didn't actually write). His delivery is just extremely bad. He really has trouble reading, lol (I was listening on the radio in the car, so I'm assuming he was reading off a teleprompter).

But, he stayed on script, so I guess CNN will call this "the second moment where Trump became President," haha;

I'm unsure if a teleprompter was used, he turned multiple times around the room but the screens in the room didn't have the speech on.

the rediculousness out of all this is that Iran has been watering down and started moderating themselves; yesterday's election showed a continuity of prudence

while LOL, in the lands of the Sauds, extremist Wahabi conservatism persists

jelly

Like what?

He indirectly calls for regime change in iran because their people are opressed and ignores rouhani has won in a landslide a few days ago.

Isn't he a reformist so that's actually a good thing too, baby steps is better than war that puts lunatics in power with countless people dead. Iran isn't perfect but I think they are probably the most likely Arab nation to flourish into a Western society eventually.

Steejee

So basically, speechwriters did their job (Miller + Mattis I think? Miller the first-muslim-ban guy, and someone else who probably helped keep it sane), and Trump managed to read the entire thing, or repeat what was on his earpiece, without flubbing any lines.

High bars here...

Isn't he a reformist so that's actually a good thing too, baby steps is better than war that puts lunatics in power with countless people dead. Iran isn't perfect but I think they are probably the most likely Arab nation to flourish into a Western society eventually.

Iran isn't Arab :p they are Persian

Ithil

Like what?

I doubt Trump has any idea who that is.

Steejee

Gotcha. ....Can't imagine why his people thought that would be any better than him reading it.

Well when he's just reading it he tends to go off script more often. With earpiece maybe they're better able to keep him on script, even if he reads it like he OD'd on ambien.

That is part of the hope with the Iran deal. Under sanctions they had to get into more black market deals and trading because of the effect of sanctions. The deal opens them up to the world market but they are finding out that it isn't carte blanche to get investments. They are still having trouble because they are exporting terror and supplying terror groups and still jailing Westerners etc. Slowly it is having the effect of reform in Iran because they are moving to behave rationally as a player in the world market, hence the "moderate" winning again.

Condom

Why do they have to become western?

Besides you're mistaken and should look at Lebanon.

Arabesque

That jordanian king is one good looking fella. Isn't his mom english ?

Yeah, she is British by birth.

It was actually impressive how the parts of the speech he gave in English had better delivery, pronunciation and articulation than the one Trump gave lol

Trump should look into some elocution lessons to be honest

Top Bottom