• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twelve McDonald's Menu Items That Failed Spectactularly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Crunched said:
The Angus burgers are awful. Just awful. Terrible flavor, somehow worse than those 1/8 inch patties on the McDouble.

I like them. Especially the Mushroom and Swiss.

Red

BY2K said:
I like them. Especially the Mushroom and Swiss.
I normally like mushroom swiss burgers, but not from McD's. There's just something about the Angus meat they use that is, well, not good.

McLovin

t-storm said:
I loved the Arch Deluxe :(
Yeah, back when I ate McDonalds I loved the Arch Deluxe.

I really want to try some of the burgers they serve overseas. It would be cool if they had a region specific burger from a different area every month. It would guarantee me going to McDonalds at least once a month.

gabbo

Big-E said:
Absolutely adored the Arch Deluxe, Big Extra (what we called the Big N Tasty in Canada) and the pizza they made at McDonalds. Fuck everybody for losing me these items.
While I don't eat McDonald's much anymore (maybe twice, three times a year at most), I agree with this. The Arch Deluxe was my go to burger when I ate at McDonald's as a kid. It was the pepper bacon and sauce that put it on a whole other level than their other burgers. My brother went for the pizzas.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The problem, I've found, with the current Angus burgers is the texture of the meat. Sometimes it has the texture of a wet sponge.

Tron 2.0

Gouty said:
It's not on the list because it makes money, people like it.

As for why they take it off the menu, apparently the McRib lives and dies by its celebrated cult following. When its takes up permanent residence on the menu the novelty wears off and people stop buying it.

It think it's similar to Disney's approach to their animated films and the vault.
People lose their shit for McRib sandwiches. Like buy 15 at a time and freeze them kind of crazy.

Apparently Monopoly at McDonalds also brings out the crazies.

Red

BlueTsunami said:
The problem, I've found, with the current Angus burgers is the texture of the meat. Sometimes it has the texture of a wet sponge.
Exactly. It's supposed to be better meat, but it's worse than the greasy meat discs they normally use.

I love McDoubles. I love those greasy meat discs. Seriously I love them.

Retro

I can't see an advertisement for the Angus burgers without mentally blocking out a few select letters and getting grossed out.

ic0ccy.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
rainking187 said:
The mushroom one is especially terrible. You can't use mayonnaise as the sauce on a mushroom burger. What the fuck is that?
Its delicious is what it is. Mayo and mushrooms go well together.

frankie_baby said:
the big tasty is amazing, so big i can never eat any chips(fries) with it

I've had it a couple of times so I thought I recognised the name. iirc it's a pretty expensive 'premium' burger though, so I prefer getting a large Big Mac meal. it's a classic of Maccy D's, the best thing about it is that it's always instantly ready to order, so you only have to wait about a minute at most for them to package it up.

off-topic - the McDonalds UK web site is classy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I miss the bagel sandwiches for breakfast. I get excited when I travel and find a McDonalds that still sells them.

KiKaL

I miss the arch deluxe. I always thought it was really good. I also had no idea the Big N Tasy was gone. It was pretty good also

Acerac

Banned
I just pray that the Hot'n'Spicy McChicken never ends up on one of these lists.

I couldn't eat at McDonalds if they stopped carrying it, and I've never been to one outside of Buffalo that does.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Acerac said:

I couldn't eat at McDonalds if they stopped carrying it, and I've never been to one outside of Buffalo that does.

I just buy a McChicken off the dollar menu and ask them to give me a packet of the buffalo sauce that's supposed to be for dipping nuggets, then pour it on the chicken. As long as I ask after I've already paid for it, they never seem to charge me for it.

Acerac said:

All of them in Arizona, and I believe in most of the Southwest, do.

And the McLobster is actually a perfectly decent lobster roll. Cheap for what you get, too. I think the writer may be mistaken about there ever having been a national roll-out of it, though.

iammeiam

These were absolutely brilliant:

XVuR6.jpg

The only drawback to those as the perfect college lunch was how common it was for McDonalds to give me fucking ranch dressing to go with my Chicken Caesar Salad.

Still, shaking to evenly distribute dressing was awesome.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
dabig2 said:
Super-size defined my childhood and adolescence.
This caught my eye.

Alx

Arch deluxe is still available in France, it never left the menu. Except that we call it "Royal Deluxe", of course. :)
It's good indeed, the few times I go to McDonald's I either buy a big mac or a deluxe.

The angus burgers suck because of the buns. They taste like their shitty regular burger buns. Which is fine on the dreck that is their regular cheeseburgers, but not so much on something that's supposed to be "higher" quality.

2th said:
i will never forget the supersize option. isnt it now called something like the BIGGIE SIZE?

Biggie Size is what Wendy's called their gigantic sizes. That has been eliminated too, after McD's eliminated Super Size.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
McDonalds always puts a

Retro said:
I can't see an advertisement for the Angus burgers without mentally blocking out a few select letters and getting grossed out.

ic0ccy.jpg
Oh man, that was one of the worst burgers I have ever had. I'm not a fan of McDonald's by any stretch of the imagination. (I almost always end up puking after I eat anything from it.) But really, it was terrible. The meat had somehow torn in half and tasted like a bathroom urinal. :\

Never again.

And no, I have never tasted a urinal, but I know what they smell like and what it seemed like to me.

DominoKid

i miss supersized. fucking lazy fat asses ruining it for us.

i used to get a supersize fry + two apple pies + supersize suicide after soccer practice/games which was like 4 times a week.

the large just doesnt fill me up.

eastmen

Banned
I liked the arch deluxe . I like the new crispy chicken sandwiches they have also and even though the nuggets are bad for me , i love them

eastmen

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
Just had one yesterday. Guess they still offer that in miami.

they are offered here in NJ . Hate it when they mess up and give me the egg and bacon one even tho they charge for the steak one.

Easily their best menu item for breakfeast

Log4Girlz said:
Just had one yesterday. Guess they still offer that in miami.

I've wanted to try one of these for a while. I saw it on the McDonald's website so I decided to order it next time I went and they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

DominoKid said:
i miss supersized. fucking lazy fat asses ruining it for us.

i used to get a supersize fry + two apple pies + supersize suicide after soccer practice/games which was like 4 times a week.

the large just doesnt fill me up.

Fast food is basically designed to not be filling. It's a tiny slab of protein and grease amid a mountain of empty carbs. If the large doesn't fill you up you should probably get real food instead.

Log4Girlz

eastmen said:
they are offered here in NJ . Hate it when they mess up and give me the egg and bacon one even tho they charge for the steak one.

Easily their best menu item for breakfeast

I always get one when I'm hankering for McDonald's breakfast.

eastmen

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
I always get one when I'm hankering for McDonald's breakfast.

Same here , I normaly get one of those and the sasuage mc muffin . No has browns . The steak and egg bagel is normaly oily enough for me , i odn't need the potatos to add even more to it

Dwayne

amm said:
they should have a veggie burger in the US. kind of surprising they don't.
Really blows my mind that they don't, you'd think they'd want to cater for as wider audience as possible. Even burger king makes a half decent veggie burger (onion rings ftw).

Acerac

Banned
DarthWoo said:
I just buy a McChicken off the dollar menu and ask them to give me a packet of the buffalo sauce that's supposed to be for dipping nuggets, then pour it on the chicken. As long as I ask after I've already paid for it, they never seem to charge me for it.
As a resident of the city, it has always seemed awkward to ask for a sauce that is named after the location I live in. Even more odd is the fact that I don't think we even have normal McChickens on the menu! That being said, I'll need to try this out next time I'm traveling abroad; it may be the next best thing to my precious hot'n'spicies.
slidewinder said:
All of them in Arizona, and I believe in most of the Southwest, do.
So I've heard! This is excellent news for when I have the cash to move out of this shithole of a city. The food selection is the biggest redeeming feature of this area; it's good to know that the best cheap food isn't as exclusive to the area as I once thought.

Log4Girlz

eastmen said:
Same here , I normaly get one of those and the sasuage mc muffin . No has browns . The steak and egg bagel is normaly oily enough for me , i odn't need the potatos to add even more to it

I'll throw in a sausage egg mcgriddle here and there. Man, and I love a mocha frape with that.

Dennis

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Super size going away made me incredibly angry. Who gives a shit if it's unhealthy let people eat it if they want. Super size fries + milkshake was like the best thing ever as a kid.
To all the people moaning about the disappearance of super size - why not order two of, say, large size items?

You're welcome.

Scipius

I'm amused by people freaking out over the McAfrica name; they are actually reinforcing a negative image of Africa, whereas McDonalds could be said to be trying to present a positive one.

The only thing that seems wrong to me about the McAfrica is that just having a special sauce doesn't really make it African. They could have done better than just a standard burger.

Log4Girlz

DennisK4 said:
To all the people moaning about the disappearance of super size - why not order two of, say, large size items?

You're welcome.

I used to order 2 supersize items, wtf am I supposed to do, order 4 large sizes? I'm not made of money, I'm made of fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom