• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It was only a couple of days ago the tories started banging the "corbyn can't defend us" drum and the papers all kicked up about the IRA.

I really hope they're not stupid or evil enough to try and use this.

Jezbollah

This will be a political no no for the rest of the campaign. No one will try and make anything out of it. At least nationally. Some local idiots may try.

Yep, that's pretty much my thought on this. It's too raw a subject for any kind of politicizing right now, and dangerous ground to say the least over the next couple of weeks.

I suspect it will be used with people who have feet on the ground though, in various levels of subtlety.

Attempting to utilise this horiffic event for political gain is akin to putting your hand into a box of scorpions and hoping that you aren't stung by them. The media, and the public will eat anyone who wades into this. Spin doctors will even be careful when prepping leaders on the general topic of security, policing, and public safety.

Expect the tone of the campaign to change, especially as the country comes to terms with what has happened, and thinks about the victims and their families, but I expect things to resume in a soft manner by the end of the week.

I think the only thing it will do is drain the clock on any possible Corbyn comeback.
Yep, that's the real concern.

People wrote off labour when they were 25 points down but after rapidly clawing it back to 9 points it became clear that, even if small, there was a chance to cause some real damage.

As always there is never enough time for progressive movements to wade through the media's smear campaigns and actually get the message out to everyone. You give both platforms visibility and eventually people will pick the progressive side but of course it takes longer due to the negativity being thrown around by most of the media.

Ashes

Banned
Yeah, I think once the campaigning resumes, this event won't actually shift the paradigm all that much.

I think you guys are drastically undermining the nature of the victims involved. For months and years, humanitarians tried to get the media talking about the refugee crisis, in the end it took the picture of a child dying on a beach for it to take hold.

Par Score

I don't think tragedies of this scale get used politically, I'd be surprised if any of the leader interviews go into any detail on it besides acknowledging how terrible it is and echoing sympathies.

Two numbers. Nine. Eleven.

Tragedies of this scale get used politically all the time, usually with the most reprehensible results.

The right wing media (and their pet Tories) have been banging the "terrorist sympathiser" Corbyn drum for months. They were already using decades of tragedies politically before this horrific attack occurred.

Faddy

Banned
While the campaigns are on hold there is still scrutiny of manifestos going on.

The Tory 'free breakfast for all primary pupils' pledge is woefully underfunded, with the cost per breakfast less than 7p per meal (assuming 100% uptake) and doesn't seem to budget for any extra staffing costs either.

To put it in context a primary school of 200 children would receive less than £70 per week to implement this policy. Thin gruel indeed.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/conservatives-free-breakfast-pledge-costed-at-just-7p-per-meal/

So most Tory policies are uncosted and the ones that are don't add up.

Maledict

UK terror threat level raised to highest level.

Not been at this level since 2009. Wasn't put to this level after the London attack earlier in the year, when there wasn't a general election looming.

Am I being too cynical in thinking this is potentially politically motivated, at least in part?

It's completely out of the control of politicians, deliberately. It's set by the independent intelligence services committee based on intelligence reviews. Theresa May can't chose to do this, and the intelligence services would set themselves on fire before changing the threat level to impact politics.

It's completely out of the control of politicians, deliberately. It's set by the independent intelligence services committee based on intelligence reviews. Theresa May can't chose to do this, and the intelligence services would set themselves on fire before changing the threat level to impact politics.

That's good to know, in one way at least.

Faddy

Banned

No it isn't. The threat level is ultimately decided by the Prime Minister. Whether she went against the advice of the security services is another matter.

Pandy

While the campaigns are on hold there is still scrutiny of manifestos going on.

The Tory 'free breakfast for all primary pupils' pledge is woefully underfunded, with the cost per breakfast less than 7p per meal (assuming 100% uptake) and doesn't seem to budget for any extra staffing costs either.

To put it in context a primary school of 200 children would receive less than £70 per week to implement this policy. Thin gruel indeed.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/conservatives-free-breakfast-pledge-costed-at-just-7p-per-meal/

So most Tory policies are uncosted and the ones that are don't add up.

It wouldn't be anything like 100% and they know it, which is why it was bullshit even if it had been fully funded.

As it stands I'd like the election delayed by one week to allow for the immediate impact of this attack to subside. This has radically altered the tone of the campaign.

I'd like it pushed back until mid-July. There's no way that a week can make any kind of impact when our leadership and opposition should be helping heal the country after this attack, not fighting for votes.

Pandy

No it isn't. The threat level is ultimately decided by the Prime Minister. Whether she went against the advice of the security services is another matter.

Maybe you know something else, but officially that isn't the case.
How are threat levels decided?
The threat level for the UK from international terrorism is set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).

MI5 is responsible for setting the threat levels from Irish and other domestic terrorism both in Northern Ireland and in Great Britain.

In reaching a judgement on the appropriate threat level in any given circumstance several factors need to be taken into account.

These include:

Available intelligence. It is rare that specific threat information is available and can be relied upon. More often, judgements about the threat will be based on a wide range of information, which is often fragmentary, including the level and nature of current terrorist activity, comparison with events in other countries and previous attacks. Intelligence is only ever likely to reveal part of the picture.
Terrorist capability. An examination of what is known about the capabilities of the terrorists in question and the method they may use based on previous attacks or from intelligence. This would also analyse the potential scale of the attack.
Terrorist intentions. Using intelligence and publicly available information to examine the overall aims of the terrorists and the ways they may achieve them including what sort of targets they would consider attacking.
Timescale. The threat level expresses the likelihood of an attack in the near term. We know from past incidents that some attacks take years to plan, while others are put together more quickly. In the absence of specific intelligence, a judgement will need to be made about how close an attack might be to fruition. Threat levels do not have any set expiry date, but are regularly subject to review in order to ensure that they remain current.
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

Acorn

I'd like it pushed back until mid-July. There's no way that a week can make any kind of impact when our leadership and opposition should be helping heal the country after this attack, not fighting for votes.
Same but the only people who could do it wouldn't be interested.

There is a precedent for delay though, I was to miss out on the 2001 election because it was scheduled for the week before my bday, but the Foot and Mouth outbreak pushed it back a month and I was able to take part in my 1st election.

Maledict

No it isn't. Panda covered it, but the security services set this. It is not a political decision. They get told about it.

Faddy

Banned
It wouldn't be anything like 100% and they know it, which is why it was bullshit even if it had been fully funded.

The 100% uptake is irrelevant. The average sized primary school will receive less than £100 per week to implement the policy. That has not only to pay for food but also for extra staff required to supervise and clean up the breakfast club. As well as any additional expenses associated with the school being opened earlier.

Actually considering how much planning this last minute election sent everyone crazy, sure, let's push it back a month and make everyone replan their schedules. That's the most appropriate thing to happen now by the standards of this election, so let's do it.

Pandy

The 100% uptake is irrelevant. The average sized primary school will receive less than £100 per week to implement the policy. That has not only to pay for food but also for extra staff required to supervise and clean up the breakfast club. As well as any additional expenses associated with the school being opened earlier.

*shrug*
You brought it up first.

I'm agreeing with you that it isn't properly funded. I just added that even if it was properly funded it wouldn't benefit most pupils anyway (which free lunches would).

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

Moze

Banned
I am optimistic that May is going to fail to get a majority. It's just shocking how bad she is and how much of a blunder the 'strong and stable' memes have been.

She would have been getting a real rinsing from the media today if Manchester never happened.

And then we tell anyone that wants to interfere in our shitty democracy that all you need to do is kill a few people, and we'll bend to your will.

Seems like national campaigning is going to be suspended until the weekend. Local campaigns fine, no battle buses - and more importantly no Neil interviews.

Absolutely gutted. I wanted to see Corbyn vs Neil.

Had a glance through Twitter (I search "lib dem" and see what I find) and there is some truly awful islamophobic crap on there today. People saying that the refugee pledge by the LDs would let jihadis in for one. People talking about how there should be a "war on Islam".

Britain First leader telling people to "remember that Tim Farron wants 50,000 more Syrians" - the far right is going to milk this for all it's worth.

Some people beginning to moan about receiving piles of LD leaflets (yesterday, as today no leaflets other than freepost). That is how you know the campaign is working. If people are not moaning you have not leafleted enough.

Spotted such moaning in two target seats. Also a lot of people talking about tactical voting.

Anyone saying last night wasn't the best thing to happen to Theresa is lying to themselves.

I mean it completely took her u-turn on social care out of the news, I was starting to think she wasn't being strong and stable enough.

Acorn

Anyone saying last night wasn't the best thing to happen to Theresa is lying to themselves.

I mean it completely took her u-turn on social care out of the news, I was starting to think she wasn't being strong and stable enough.
I wouldn't use those words, it does end the negative newscycle​ but anything could have changed that - the media loves to jump on anything new. The mail and Sun were completely ignoring it anyway.

I wouldn't use those words, it does end the negative newscycle​ but anything could have changed that - the media loves to jump on anything new. The mail and Sun were completely ignoring it anyway.

Well to be fair, I'd say the same thing if Miliband or Dave was PM. I just think people like to dance around the fact that this attack was a very positive thing for her image. These events are mostly non-partisan and deal with national security which is an issue that can be easily exploited by whoever is in government.

Acorn

Well to be fair, I'd say the same thing if Miliband or Dave was PM. I just think people like to dance around the fact that this attack was a very positive thing for her image. These events are mostly non-partisan and deal with national security which is an issue that can be easily exploited by whoever is in government.
Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of anything. It's understandable why people don't want to discuss anything regarding the attack fallout. It's raw right now.

Dougald

Seems like national campaigning is going to be suspended until the weekend. Local campaigns fine, no battle buses - and more importantly no Neil interviews.

Absolutely gutted. I wanted to see Corbyn vs Neil.

Had a glance through Twitter (I search "lib dem" and see what I find) and there is some truly awful islamophobic crap on there today. People saying that the refugee pledge by the LDs would let jihadis in for one. People talking about how there should be a "war on Islam".

Britain First leader telling people to "remember that Tim Farron wants 50,000 more Syrians" - the far right is going to milk this for all it's worth.

Some people beginning to moan about receiving piles of LD leaflets (yesterday, as today no leaflets other than freepost). That is how you know the campaign is working. If people are not moaning you have not leafleted enough.

Spotted such moaning in two target seats. Also a lot of people talking about tactical voting.

I've had at least 6 from you lot here. One from labour, squat from the Conservatives. I very much doubt Wokingham is a lib dem target seat though

Burai

shitonmychest57

I shouldn't worry. She's got Paxman on Monday (along with Corbyn) and he'll reopen the wounds all over again.

Yeah, you're letting the heck out of me compared to the other parties. So Sheff Central, I've had... 1 x Green (and they're really fighting for the seat, there's a bunch of garden signs for them around too), 1 x Labour (local), 1 x Conservative (national, I think) and about 6 in the post from Lib Dems.

hodgy100

Well I've sent off my postal vote this morning.
voted Labour in a Labour safe seat (Sheffield central)
First time i've ever voted labour actually.

i've not had any leaflets from the conservatives amusingly enough. but like 2 or 3 from the LD's. 1 from the greens, 1 from Labour and 1 from UKIP.

A friend of mine near rotherham got a really formally written letter "from" Theresa May basically saying"plz vote for my candidate, STRONG STABLE ,COALITION OF CHAOS"

Acorn

He's shit, remember when he started going after millinand for being a weird geek.
That sycophant Kay Burley was even worse. She conducted the most partisan election debate I've ever seen, put Milliband through the ringer and let Cameron not answer anything. She just gave him big 😍 eyes.

and about 6 in the post from Lib Dems.

It's probably a third tier constituency which has a small volunteer team doing inexpensive leafleting. Do you have council elections next year by any chance?

I think folks forgot, due to how bad the Lib Dem 2015 campaign was, how the Lib Dems actually campaign. We leaflet far more than any other party.

Oh, the far right is fun on Twitter today:
nM5x0Mj.png

It's probably a third tier constituency which has a small volunteer team doing inexpensive leafleting. Do you have council elections next year by any chance?

Think so - and there's a bit of a backlash against the Labour council with some decisions, and it's historically flipped between the two. So they must have a solid campaigning base as you say.

I'm also in a block of flats so I wonder if these are coming through the post rather than manual, unless someone in the building is a Lib Dem campaigner.

And actually just thinking back over my past 3 years here, they've every vote been hotter on flyering than other parties. I only tend to hear from the Greens if they want us to write to oppose a planning application, and to be honest I don't mind if McDonalds is open until 5am it's not causing noise, and I live next door. Sorry this is getting very off topic now.

http://www.savesheffieldtrees.org.uk/

if these trees are being cut down to make LD leaflets think many people in sheffield will be pissed :p

Hahaha, this made me laugh harder than it probably should have done. Hello fellow Sheffield Centrallers.

I don't think I've seen anyone here talk about the trees.

You'd have thought it'd have been on the green's campaign, although I know it's actually a local council thing. They're pinning everything on Brexit + Students + It's Natalie Bennet from the stuff I've seen. My thoughts with that are:
- Sheffield voted leave, I know barely, and maybe Central was tighter
- How many of the students live in the Central constitency? I'd have thought Hallam would have more, and also, many will have gone home
- I can't think of Natalie Bennet without doing her Dead Ringers impersonation, I keep baa-ing

Is that the story of Sheffield council hiring tree-chopping ninjas to remove nice old trees without residents being able to block the order?

Oh God it's Bennet standing?

She'll come third behind us.

Our literature should be about the NHS and education in your area - "only the Lib Dems can stand up to the Tory cuts because Corbyn is unpopular and his party is divided"?

Well I've sent off my postal vote this morning.
voted Labour in a Labour safe seat (Sheffield central)
First time i've ever voted labour actually.

i've not had any leaflets from the conservatives amusingly enough. but like 2 or 3 from the LD's. 1 from the greens, 1 from Labour and 1 from UKIP.

A friend of mine near rotherham got a really formally written letter "from" Theresa May basically saying"plz vote for my candidate, STRONG STABLE ,COALITION OF CHAOS"

Is that Lou Haighs seat? I think she's been a fantastic MP so far (I'm south coast so not my area!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom