• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

gs.png

threeredsandablack.jpg

Welcome, curious NeoGAF reader, to the 2013 TokuGAF thread!

tumblr_m2jnnaYuiF1r14jv8o2_250.gif

-> Hi guys! I'm new, what's a Toku? (go to 1A)

-> Hi guys! I like Toku, what shows are there for me to watch in 2013? (go to 2A)

-> What Toku movies are there for me to watch in 2013? (go to 2B)

-> What Toku games are there for me to play in 2013? (go to 2C)

-> Henshin! (go to 3B)

1A:

Box of Bunnies said:
Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that means "special filming". As a genre it refers to pretty much any live-action production that makes extensive use of special effects. In the literal sense, anything from Wonder Woman to Doctor Who could be considered tokusatsu but, much like "anime", it is used colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

-> Nice! What shows are they showing this year? (go to 2A)

-> Cool, but I want to have a whole show to marathon instead of wait for one currently airing. What old shows do you recommend? (go to 3A)

-> So it's like Power Rangers? (go to 1B)

1B:

Power Rangers is a Toku show as well. You may be familiar with Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, which many in the western world saw when they were kids. That show was the American adaptation of the 16th season of Super Sentai, called Zyuranger.

tumblr_m8dbw8XvJP1r37ohpo1_500.jpg

Here's a detailed analysis of both Zyuranger and Power Rangers and here's a video comparison of the 1993 MMPR Red Ranger vs. Green Ranger fight versus the original 1992 Zyuranger fight.

-> Wow, I didn't know that! I used to be a huge Power Rangers fan, maybe I can get into the genre. What new stuff is there to watch nowadays? (go to 2A)

-> I don't like Power Rangers. (go to 1C)

1C:

You've ever liked Godzilla? Doctor Who? Do you like anime or manga, and liked when live action movies like Speed Racer and Scott Pilgrim brought it to life without sacrificing style for reality? Do you like superhero and action movies before they stopped using real stuntmen and started using CGI doubles?

Tokusatsu is the genre where you will see that 24/7. Practical special effects, suit actors that memorize stunts because they can't see through the helmets, real explosions, tiny CGI budget, epic posing, colorful suits, and constant, never-ending action. Also; ladies.

Join us for an episode or two, you might return for the third.

-> Sounds cool. What are the new shows right now? (go to 2A)

-> And if I don't? (go to 1D)

1D:

13431760025701.gif

2A:

THE SHOWS OF 2013

Kamen Rider Gaim (Masked Rider Armored)

iQi4NYZ0hs94o.gif

It's all juicy dance parties and fruits and games until you accidentally open a rift into an alternate dimension where monsters come out and attack you. Which Kamen Rider will save the world?

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Aesir​

Juuden Sentai Kyoryuger (Beast-Charge Squadron "People of the Strong Dragons")

ibnPwfHV47y7Vl.gif
ibs4QqZIbjp89L.gif

The 37th season of Super Sentai, five random strangers are chosen by the Wise God Torin to defend the Earth from the ancient Debosu Army that killed all the dinosaurs.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: Every Sunday at 7:30 AM on TV Asahi, episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon.​

Power Rangers Megaforce

untitled-1-copy2.png
untitled-1-copy3.png

The 20th Anniversary series of Power Rangers, a group of teenagers with attitude are selected by Gosei to save the Earth from the evil Warstar aliens.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Airs every Saturday at 1PM on Nick, rerun the following morning. Schedule may vary depending on your country. Episodes are available the following day on Nick.com and on Hulu.​

Bima Satria Garuda (Bima: Garuda Knight)

i9OovcLslwc3t.gif

A teamup between Ishimori Productions (creators of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai) and MNC Media, a Jakarta scientist creates a new superhero to fight the invading forces of the Parallel World.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Indonesia: 8:30 AM Sundays on RCTI, reruns on Saturday at 3:00 PM

Elsewhere: Fansubs by Bima-Anon​

Jushen Zhan Ji Dui (Giant Saver's Battle Squadron)

iFZUpcrm1uFSm.gif

Featuring choreography from Super Sentai veterans, this Chinese show inspired by Sentai chronicles the battle between good and evil.

Trailer

Where to watch:

China: Heck if I know

Elsewhere: No fansubs yet, but it's on Youtube​

Ultraman Ginga (Ultraman Galaxy)

iBlwWCiEjUTZ7.gif

After a massive battle, all the Ultramen and the evil monsters they fought were turned into tiny statues and scattered throughout the galaxy. A young man's life in Japan is forever changed when he finds one on the ground....

Opening

Where to watch:

Japan: Wednesdays at 6 PM during the Ultraman Anthology block of TV Tokyo

Elsewhere: Fansubs by Over-Time​

Kamen Rider Wizard (Masked Rider Wizard)

fmb-37112.gif
kamen_rider_wizard_dragon.jpg

Phantoms are terrorizing people so that new monsters can be born. It's up to the ring-wielding magician to save the day.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi, episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon.​

Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger Season 2 (Unofficial Squadron from Akibahara....ranger)

tumblr_madksdJsim1rxn14ao7_r1_1280.png
tumblr_mgf8xo7RCQ1qi3jmio1_1280.jpg

Toei's love letter/restriction order to Sentai fans, an overgrown Sentai otaku is chosen to be in a real-life Sentai team. But is too good to be true?

Season 2 Reveal Announcement (WARNING: includes spoilers from Season 1)

Where to watch:

Japan: All of Season 1 and 2 is available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand: Bandai's Official Youtube Channel

Elsewhere: Fansubs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon​

Garo: Yami o Terasu Mono (Garo: The One Who Shines in the Darkness)

Capture-13.png

The third season in the Adult-oriented Garo series, a new knight arrives in a new city to protect it from Horrors.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: Episodes air on TV Tokyo and BS Japan

Elsewhere: Fansubs provided by Over-Time.​

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (Special Mission Squadron Go-Busters)

ibjQWanRnpFYuc.gif
i4WjMPN6VDW9E.gif

The 36th season of Super Sentai, the evil supercomputer Messiah wants to steal all the Enetron to power his giant robot army of Megazords, and it's up to the Go-Busters to stop them.

Trailer

Where to watch:

Japan: Finale airs February 10th at 7:30 AM on TV Asahi. All episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD.

Elsewhere: Fansubs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon.​

2B:

THE MOVIES OF 2013

Pacific Rim

Pacific_Rim_FilmPoster.jpeg

Various countries around the world create giant mechas known as Jaegers to combat the giant monsters called Kaiji rising from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Directed by Guillermo Del Toro.

Trailer

Go-Busters vs. Gokaiger

Go-Busters_vs_Gokaiger.jpg

The Gokaigers and the Go-Busters clash as they search for the Phantom Keys that will unlock the "Greatest Treasure in the Universe". Directed by Takayuki Shibasaki.

Trailer

Superhero Taisen Z (Superhero Wars Z)

shero3701.jpg

Kamen Riders, Super Sentai, and the Space Sherrifs are all three together for the first time to fight the newly formed Space Shocker. Directed by Osamu Kaneda.

Trailer

Garo: Dragon of the Blue Cry

garoposter.jpg

Picking up where Garo: Makai Senki left off, Kouga travels to the Promised Land to fulfill an agreement. Directed by Keita Amemiya.

Trailer

Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger: 10 Years After

hurricaneger04.jpg

The entire cast of Hurricanger returns 10 years after the original show ended for a brand new direct-to-video movie, including the original writer. Directed by Katsuya Watanabe.

Behind the scenes video

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

captain-harlock.jpg

Tired of Earth's inept government, Captain Harlock and his crew of 40 rebels against it to save humanity. Directed by Shinji Aramaki.

Teaser trailer

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters VS Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters (Special Mission Squadron Go-Busters vs. Animal Squadron Go-Busters)

BusterVcinema.jpg

The Go-Busters meet another team from an alternate reality where the events of the past 13 years did not happen. Directed by Hiroyuki Kato.

Off-screen trailer

2C:

THE GAMES OF 2013

The Wonderful 101

sooogoodknccy.gif
awesomestuffmxu0s.gif

From the mind of Toku-nut Hideki kamiya, Platinum Games, and Nintendo; control one hundred superheroes at once to save the Earth from giant enemies. Wii U exclusive.

Trailer

Kamen Rider Battride War (Masked Rider Battle Ride War)

zcf4V.jpg
U3JEA.jpg

Play as any of the Heisei Kamen Riders in this Musou-style game as you run down and destroy hundreds of enemies from the TV shows using all the Rider powers and bikes at your disposal. PS3 exclusive.

Trailer

Ultraman All-Star Chronicle

Ultraman16.jpg

Featuring an original story, show-accurate graphics, and various cameos; this strategy game will be a hoot for Ultraman fans. Exclusive to PSP.

Heroes VS.

heroesvs48.jpg
herosvs_02_cs1w1_480x272.jpg

Gundam, Kamen Riders, and Ultraman in a single game, beating the living daylights out of each other. Exclusive to PSP.

Trailer

Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale

afmscreen02.jpg
afmscreen01.jpg

A new Nintendo/Level 5 game from creator Kaz Ayabe, you're a boy who is growing up in a town that is attacked by giant monsters every Friday. Exclusive to Nintendo 3DS eShop.

3A:

RECOMMENDED PAST SHOWS

KAMEN RIDER

Kamen Rider W

Kamen Rider Den-O

Kamen Rider Kabuto

Kamen Rider Blade

Kamen Rider Kuuga

Kamen Rider Black

SUPER SENTAI

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (Kaizoku = Pirate)

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger (Jyuken = Beast Fist)

Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (Tokusou = Special Investigation)

Gosei Sentai Dairanger (Gosei = Five Stars)

Choujin Sentai Jetman (Choujin = Birdmen)

If you want a show more specific to your tastes, our fellow members in the TokuGAF community will be able to pick one made just for you, maybe even one not listed here!

3B:

tumblr_m72qoyUQiO1qluce6o1_250.gif

tumblr_m3noidE6gL1qa69wso1_500.gif

Awesome job on the OP, Willy!

Still cautiously optimistic about MegaForce. Between that, Kyoryuger looking like it will be awesome and Akibaranger coming back 2013 is shaping up to be a pretty great year toku wise.

Carrying over the topic of discussion from the end of the last thread, I'm pretty mixed on the MegaForce theme. The original elements make me think it would've worked as a Zeo-esque thing where it plays with elements of the prior one while still doing its own thing but the fact that it's basically the Samurai theme is lame.

That new thread smell. Kick ass job by the by!

I'm ready for Megaforce and whatever it brings with it. Whatever that actually is.

And Willy don't forget about Heroes Vs. and Ultraman All-Star Chronicle both for PSP are coming soon too.

DarkWish

Nice OP! Huge Power Rangers can here, but every year I find myself getting more and more into Sentai as well. Seen Shinkenger and Gokaiger and the first 15 episodes of Goseiger. And bits of others like the first few episodes of Go-busters. But I'm looking forward to Kyoryuger, that looks interesting.

And of course, can't wait for the Megaforce premiere today at 1 pm on Nickelodeon!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I am hyped for kyoryuger. Everything about it seems awesome. If there is a DX version of that gun I think I might drop cash for it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hey remember the first episode of MMPR?

So does Saban.

Wasn't offensively bad though.

I'll keep watching cause I like the suits and I sure as shit am not going to watch Goseiger.

Hold up guys, why isn't Kamen Rider Blade not on the recommended list?

Only thing I can imagine is because it's pretty dark Rider stuff for beginners?

jwk94

Really liking MegaForce so far. The cast is likeable (except blue), the acting is A LOT better than Samurai, Gosei and Tensou are pretty good mentors so far, and it seems like we'll have a few references to past seasons this year.

I like Blue booking it once they have to fight.

That had me rolling.

Beautiful new thread. 2013's gonna be rad for toku for sure.

As for Megaforce today...I really wasn't as offended as I usually am by Power Rangers, so I guess that's a good start. I hope it only gets better from here.

Seems to me right now that Megaforce is trying a bit too hard with the spin on MMPR. That Zordon name drop was just bad because there's no way that the payoff will ever come. They should've brought back some OG Rangers (not Tommy) to play the mentor role to really play up the anniversary angle. I just may be a bit too critical because the song & dance is a bit too familiar but here's hoping the show comes into its own.

And I'm a bit scared for the 2nd half of Megaforce because of how badly that can come out. I won't judge until we get there.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I finished my first two Kamen Rider Series, Fourze and W. Both were pretty good, in their own way. Fourze was super-fun and had the better fight-scenes, but it was a bit too Monster-of-The-Week and a lot of the episodes were pretty similar, with every arc basically adopting a new formula to use for the next couple episodes (Zodiart hits last one, Zodiart surpasses last one, Horoscope Zodiart causes trouble etc.). If not for the great characters and light-heartedness, it probably would've wore me out.

W wasn't as fun, and I thought the fights were a bit lamer, but it had a much better plot with a lot of stuff happening each episode even while following the Monster-of-The-Week format. I especially loved the villains, the Sonozaki Family, and Weather.

Now I'm watching the last of the post-Decade series (bar Wizard, since it's not finished), OOO. While Eiji doesn't hold up to Gentarou or Shoutaro in my opinion, OOO and the Core Medals are very cool, and I love the whole relationship with Ankh. Is it a good series throughout? I remember reading it was kind of sucky, but I like it so far. :/

I think after I might take a break from Kamen Rider and check out a Super Sentai series.

First episode of MegaForce was okay, pretty standard premiere. Cast are still a bit flat but not as wooden as Samurai. Feels like it would've made more sense to save Bulk and Spike for this season instead of them just hanging 'round in the periphery of Samurai.

Now I'm watching the last of the post-Decade series (bar Wizard, since it's not finished), OOO. While Eiji doesn't hold up to Gentarou or Shoutaro in my opinion, OOO and the Core Medals are very cool, and I love the whole relationship with Ankh. Is it a good series throughout? I remember reading it was kind of sucky, but I like it so far. :/

It kinda forgets that it's meant to have a story in the middle and meanders for a bit in that regard but the cast is strong enough to carry it through that and keep the show fun.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, apart from Eiji, supporting girl, and the restaurant lady, everyone else seems entertaining enough...especially the boss guy who goes HAPPY BIRTHDAY and bakes everyone a cake.

Megaforce.

Fun stuff atm, and gotta love the dig about hair in helmets, it's hilarious how rangers and toku could keep their silly slick hairs slick and silly while wearing helmets.

Gotta love how instead of just "teenagers with attitude", it's now "teenagers with talent and attitude" or something.

If you recall, MMPR weren't the brightest kids around (Wonder who the green ranger is??).

Odd that they didn't bother editing the card names to reflect the english stuff. Are they like those in the toys too?

So is Gavan Type-G going to have his own show is is he just going to pop up in crossovers and movies?

I'd think they intended to do more with him (probably follow-up movies at the least, if not a new series) but it kinda tanked (debuted at #5, dropped to #13 the following week) so Metal Heroes is probably going back in to hibernation.

WillyFive

As mentioned in the 2012 thread, Machi Action looks fantastic.

And I thought this scene in Megaforce was cool:

tumblr_mhmmqcWYk31ql41ypo4_500.gif

And this part made me laugh out loud; exactly what I would have done.

tumblr_mhmb2910981r4ciaio1_500.png

rallaren

Found the Power Rangers series on Netflix about a month ago and watched a couple of episodes for the first time since I was a kid. Pretty funny.

Even funnier is this kind of fan made or mocking stuff on youtube
Rule the World - A Montage Of Rita and Zedd - Power Rangers

Does anyone have a gif or video of the villains, Rita, Zed and co. celebrating and dancing. It was in the first or last episode in one of the seasons. It looked funny.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Talking about Metal Heroes, I always though how weird is the fact that Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya is part of the Metal Hero series.

No part of him (except his sword, I guess) is made out of metal!

(Technically, his Ninja Suit came from space, so it fits all the "technology" and "metal" thing that Metal Heroes go for, but I always though he was wearing some regular Ninja clothing.).

Finally got around to watching the first ep (Megaforce). Lots of cheese, as usual :p

But nevertheless, still somewhat fun.

"Dragonzord"?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Why would you kick your water bottle off the top of the building? What a waste

I did like the teleport effect though, even though it looks more like someone disappearing into oblivion.

Why would you kick your water bottle off the top of the building? What a waste

I did like the teleport effect though, even though it looks more like someone disappearing into oblivion.

You'd also be charged with vandalism or littering or something. I'm pretty sure a hard plastic water bottle landing on someone's head from a few dozen story high building probably hurt.

I think I liked the soccer guy's moves a lot. Remind me of detective conan lol. The red guy's moves were clearly a stunt double :/

And is there a reason why they can't just use the same camera/settings that the folks that made the sentai footage used? The switch between the footages is super apparent lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The acting so far is better than samurai, but red is still the weakest of the 5 when it comes to acting. Good to see the ranger keys in full view.

Did goseiblue do his sound off alone in goseiger when they do their weapon combination? It seems kinda sad. I wonder if saban isn't cheap enough to make goseigreen

Top Bottom