• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Yeah, I did like that teleporting effect, pretty cool. Although the ice creams :(

And is there a reason why they can't just use the same camera/settings that the folks that made the sentai footage used? The switch between the footages is super apparent lol.
Ah yes, that really stood out - I guess they just shoot in slightly cleaner quality over here, or they just got LQ footage for integration...

Yet another thing shared with MMPR :p

WillyFive

Yeah, I did like that teleporting effect, pretty cool. Although the ice creams :(

My same reaction. :(

And is there a reason why they can't just use the same camera/settings that the folks that made the sentai footage used? The switch between the footages is super apparent lol.

No reason. Both Shinkenger and Samurai/Super Samurai used the same cameras (the RED cameras), and that made both the footage and new stuff look good together (although the colors were still a bit off, mostly because the footage went from a quarry with grey rocks in Japan to a quarry with dark grey rocks in New Zealand).

But they dropped the RED cameras for Megaforce, using the Filmscape Arri Alexa and Ultraprimes instead. Who knows why, but I could tell now where Megaforce footage ends and Goseiger begins, especially when the suits suddenly start getting a bigger contrast in the grooves and the color balance of the footage turns into a different hue.

Ah yes, that really stood out - I guess they just shoot in slightly cleaner quality over here, or they just got LQ footage for integration...

MMPR Productions and Toei shoot things differently. Saban's crew like to use effects like depth of blur to make the background soft, as well as reducing whiteout to make the sky blue with clouds instead of being all-white like in the Sentai (at the expensive of having dull colors and low brightness); while Toei likes to use lighting techniques that make the suits shiny and cranking up color to the max at the expense of whiteout levels.

Here's what I mean, using Shinkenger vs. Go-Onger and Clash of the Red Rangers as an example:

2205399-wall.png

2205400-wall.png

Toei also sends out terrible quality masters to them. They've done this with every show since MMPR (and was almost laughable in the early Disney shows like Dino Thunder and SPD, where the white sky was chuck-full of grain, while being squeaky clean on the original masters), but figuring as the Shinkenger footage in S/SS looked great; I was disappointed to see the Goseiger footage look so bad in Megaforce.

Anyway, behind the scenes, both shows look the same. Here's a set photo of Megaforce, and here's one of....Dekaranger?

Toei also sends out terrible quality masters to them. They've done this with every show since MMPR (and was almost laughable in the early Disney shows like Dino Thunder and SPD, where the white sky was chuck-full of grain, while being squeaky clean on the original masters), but figuring as the Shinkenger footage in S/SS looked great; I was disappointed to see the Goseiger footage look so bad in Megaforce.
Ah, intriguing. Nevertheless, I doubt the kids'll notice too much (I don't think I even paid attention to footage differences in earlier seasons, lol - though it's gotten much better recently).

Go-Busters is really ending on a high note. I still insist that the only negative about the show is Hiromu (and that stupid bike Pokemon he has running around that only knows two phrases).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Go-Busters is really ending on a high note. I still insist that the only negative about the show is Hiromu (and that stupid bike Pokemon he has running around that only knows two phrases).

wut, Nick is an awesome Buddyroid! Second best (best beign J) even!

And yeah, today's ep was really tight. And I'm glad
Dark
Red Buster is still going to be used.

Platy

Brazilian Portuguese for "Let's Go". It's also the name of the theme song for Kyoryuger.

A friend said once that the new Sentai would feature Samba as a subtheme .... this "Vamola" (wich is really "Vamo La!") makes me wonder if she was not joking ....

lol this upgrade for wizard is like one of the most effortless ones ever. Wheres the passion and tears? :S

I really do wish they did more with Haruto in this show... he just seems like... he's there. Even Tendou had badass lines and did shit. Haruto just looks like swag, and that's about it.

Slayven

lol this upgrade for wizard is like one of the most effortless ones ever. Wheres the passion and tears? :S

I really do wish they did more with Haruto in this show... he just seems like... he's there. Even Tendou had badass lines and did shit. Haruto just looks like swag, and that's about it.

Yeah the dragon timer gives me a zecter mizer feel. Like it will be quickly discarded

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

he doesnt even give off a swag aura. he just looks like he doesnt care.

shaowebb

How often is Haruto interacting with anyone at all? Thats the real problem here. He's never doing anything aside from standing in the background and playing bodyguard. The rest of the cast does all the story stuff for him. I think he is gonna have to step up because his role is being stepped on by everyone else. HE should be progressing things not everyone else.

fmpanda

Crap, just realized I posted in the old Toku-GAF thread earlier, so I'll just post this here. Anybody up for designing a Toku-GAF shirt?

shaowebb

Crap, just realized I posted in the old Toku-GAF thread earlier, so I'll just post this here. Anybody up for designing a Toku-GAF shirt?

Im on it.

EDIT: Will something like this work?
60H3fc4.png

...what the hell happened to my blacks o_O ???

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
oh god, can somebody gif beast and comic relief getting slapped then rolled down the stairs?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
MegaForce is pretty good compared to Samurai so far... but it really, really is a rehash of MMPR in style and theme.

fmpanda

Hmnn, I would get rid of the plane, that's more of a Japan-GAF thing, specifically with folks who use that meme to signify running overseas to hook up with chicks.

I'd get rid of the believe part too, maybe replace it with Vamola! or something similar from any Toku show.

For the Gaf Logo itself, gotta throw some Sentai or Kamen Rider stuff in somehow. Maybe do a Vectorized Silhouette of a Rider in one half of the logo and a Sentai in the other half?

Top Bottom