• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

Hmnn, I would get rid of the plane, that's more of a Japan-GAF thing, specifically with folks who use that meme to signify running overseas to hook up with chicks.

I'd get rid of the believe part too, maybe replace it with Vamola! or something similar from any Toku show.

For the Gaf Logo itself, gotta throw some Sentai or Kamen Rider stuff in somehow. Maybe do a Vectorized Silhouette of a Rider in one half of the logo and a Sentai in the other half?

Maybe we need a mascot. Faiz's face could totally be photoshopped to look like the GAF logo.

Or we could just use Boss Doggie.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

tumblr_mchsvyw5my1rbk089o1_500.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Maybe we need a mascot. Faiz's face could totally be photoshopped to look like the GAF logo.

Oh god that terrible art, make it stop Dx
If you're gonna link Doggie you shoulda use e621 or pixiv for reference :3

shaowebb

Just got done with episode 38 of Kabuto which means only 10 episodes to go and then I'll likely be watching some super sentai stuff as I ride out Wizard with everyone. Kabuto built a really good foundation early on before Tendou fleshed out and the plot got going and I really like how its gotten now that I'm nearly through with it. Great development, but a slow start considering it was around ep 14 before I finally got into it.

I really wish Wizard had done a better job building up for later plot developments early on than it did. They're gonna need to start thrusting as many questions in about the Phantoms and the White Wizard as they can to make things start catching on. They likely will I just hope its sooner rather than later is all. At least he has great fights even if he is a bit too dependant on them to carry his series so far.

Anyhow so far Ive seen some of Blade, Most of Kabuto, and all of Den-O, W, OOO's and Decade.

So far my favorite Riders in order go something like this with occasional shifts:
  1. Kamen Rider OOO's
  2. Kamen Rider W
  3. Kamen Rider Birth (Date Akira)
  4. Kamen Rider Skull
  5. Kamen Rider Eternal
  6. Kamen Rider Den-O (Ryutaros, Momotaros, and Liner Forms all tie for me)
  7. Kamen Rider Kabuto
  8. Kamen Rider Kickhopper
  9. Kamen Rider Gatack
  10. Kamen Rider The Bee (Original douchebag. Other two fell flat)
  11. Kamen Rider Zeronus
  12. Kamen Rider Accel
  13. Kamen Rider Sasword
  14. Kamen Rider Kivara
  15. Kamen Rider Decade
  16. Kamen Rider Drake
  17. Kamen Rider DiEnd

I can't place anyone in Blade yet on my list since I 've only seen like 2 or 3 episodes, but Chalice looks to be a sure bet for me so far and Blade is pretty swag himself. Unofficials I rank pretty highly that i've never watched are V3, Black, Kuuga and Black RX because I liked their swag in the games/clips/and on Decade.

WillyFive

Hand-drawn special effects are always the best. They still use rotoscoping today (like for the real time morphs of Go-Busters and Wizard), but the effects are CGI instead of someone coloring over a celluloid frame of the footage.

It's too bad the optical effects end up being so blurry, it becomes really noticeable on the Blu-Ray releases of the old Sentai movies.

shaowebb

Considering after effects in its current form as rotoscoping tools that use a combination of both shape and color recognition to automatically crop things out of a scene you don't want with minimal cleanup required it doesn't even take much to rotoscope these days. We used to have to hand crop out the parts we wanted and then composite them across footage and stuff we wanted later frame by frame. Took days for some scenes.

Now a few clicks and a couple of motion tracker window adjustments and you can rotoscope hundreds of frames in only a few minutes. Heck motion trackers are how most lazily apply their effects now too. They just use the stock particle emissions, or create some in another program and import them into After Effects and tell it to motion track to legs or whatever. Back in the day you hand drew all the effects frame by frame in photoshop. Both techniques are fine and have room for a TON of control if you know your software or art, but even though you lose some crazy good moments like that one you posted above the amount of things you can do with these makes it worth it.

Cheaper to produce, some effects can get WAY more elaborate, and in general you can just add more bang to almost any scene on a whim for only an hour or so of work. I often think it'd be fun to do post production work like that for a sentai show. Autodesk 2012 even included mass motion tracker importing to let you motion track a scene across thousands of points, and then import that motion tracker data into a CG scene you built as its camera instructions. Clean compositing of EVERY element of a scene in a few clicks allowing for massive CG stuff to be composited way easier with camera footage. Its friggin spiffy for fight scenes, explosions, and environmental damage/ elements.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I look forward to Red Buster doing the hand off thing to Kyoryu Red.

But yeah the next episode does look like a pretty cool finale.

WillyFive

Yeah, Go-Busters had a lot of really great special effects sequences.

So am I the only one excited about the Busters finale? Anyone? Anyone?

I am.
Also, awaiting the Red Ranger Passing of the Torch.

Also, new Megaforce today. They get their zords.

jwk94

This episode is so bad. Troy's acting is really grating on me. Noah's the most like able character so far.

fmpanda

This episode is so bad. Troy's acting is really grating on me. Noah's the most like able character so far.

As horrible as Troy is, at least he's not as bad as Alata. That dude single handely turned me off of Goseiger after Episode 1 and he nearly sunk the 199 movie for me.

WillyFive

Kamen Rider in the early 2000's was very forward thinking for a Toku show; real time morphing sequences, widescreen, no stock footage, high-brow drama, etc. It was terrible, but the thought was there.

fmpanda

Kamen Rider in the early 2000's was very forward thinking for a Toku show; real time morphing sequences, widescreen, no stock footage, high-brow drama, etc. It was terrible, but the thought was there.

I always did like Kuuga, simply because it was a mix of Kamen Rider with the cop segments of Law & Order. Out of the early KR shows the only one that I wasn't too fond of by the end was Faiz, and that was mainly due to the show cranking up the dark to 11 while making most of the protagonists unlikable save for Takumi.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I always did like Kuuga, simply because it was a mix of Kamen Rider with the cop segments of Law & Order. Out of the early KR shows the only one that I wasn't too fond of by the end was Faiz, and that was mainly due to the show cranking up the dark to 11 while making most of the protagonists unlikable save for Takumi.

If Kuuga and Agito were "high-brow drama", then Faiz was proof that if your brows go too high, they'll eventually fall off.

Or something.

The point I'm trying to make here is that Faiz was bad.

EDIT: Except the movie. Goddamn, Paradise Lost was so good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
If Kuuga and Agito were "high-brow drama", then Faiz was proof that if your brows go too high, they'll eventually fall off.

Or something.

The point I'm trying to make here is that Faiz was bad.

EDIT: Except the movie. Goddamn, Paradise Lost was so good.

faiz wasnt bad. the ending to faiz was bad.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
faiz wasnt bad. the ending to faiz was bad.

I really loved Faiz.

Sure, the ending was pretty bad, and all the "love" (I say love because I don't want to discuss the minutia of it, and I also don't remember it that much, but you know what I mean) story beats sucked badly.

However, JustiØ alone is a million times better than the next Kamen Rider with the goddamn cards and suits bullshit (which, if I remember properly, is beloved here on GAF, so I'll surely be hated).

Black and Black RX is where's the real deal happens, anyway.

So am I the only one excited about the Busters finale? Anyone? Anyone?

I'm ready for my payoff for being a fan through all of it. And Hiromu became exactly who I'd thought he would, a Red you can be proud of. It's been really great to see them grow as a true family unit through all of this and it'll be great for them to have some closure on all that drama surrounding them. Started out OK, then then Swag Busters appeared and then over time the show just clicked. Hell, Morphin, Movin, Bustership grew on me after a while but still not better than Busters, Ready Go! however. Kyoryuger has some big shoes to fill but I'm excited to see a new Sentai.

Megaforce and I aren't seeing eye to eye. Something about it isn't clicking with me. And it has nothing to do with Goseiger being the basis because that was way better than what this seems to be at the moment. Samurai was the same way early on too and it came around but I don't think 20 episodes will be enough and then them jumping to the Legend War and whatever they do with that seems like a disaster waiting to happen. I'll keep watching but my hopes for it actually being good are dropping quick.

Gotta love how the fights in Kuuga are terrible yet they seem unaware of it lol.

Why is there always a huge difference in Fight choreography quality between KR and sentai until wizard?

jwk94

He's practically begging Saban (and also having the fans beg Saban) to cast him in (Super) Megaforce.
Really? I would've thought bringing him back for some type of role even if they just do the tribute stuff would be a no brainer.

I'm not sure if it's confirmed, but if they do keep them, they better do some killer character progression, especially for Noah.

Mr. Burely dies during the Legend War, forcing Noah to harden up and become like Joe!

Rumor has it that they won't be using the Gokai outfits for Super MegaForce though.

Parallax

Really? I would've thought bringing him back for some type of role even if they just do the tribute stuff would be a no brainer.

Mr. Burely dies during the Legend War, forcing Noah to harden up and become like Joe!

Rumor has it that they won't be using the Gokai outfits for Super MegaForce though.

not use the gokai suits? so saban is just gonna leave money on the table again?

Parallax

Wouldn't be the first time, as the early seasons of Mighty Morphin' proved.

i would hope theyve learned their lesson from that time. especially since there would be no reason to just not have new toys on the market.

fmpanda

i would hope theyve learned their lesson from that time. especially since there would be no reason to just not have new toys on the market.

Considering Saban surrounded himself with primary the same crew behind Mighty Morphin' (namely Jonathan Tchazor) when he relaunched with Samurai, probably not gonna happen. I'm sure they'll bring in the Gokai Galleon and Goujyujin, but I'll be really surprised if they use the Gokai suits and weapons.

Slayven

I finally realized what annoys me about modern power rangers. there is never really any silence. They have music playing all the time.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Randomly tuned into the Gokaiger (Gobuster? I have no idea) series finale, had no idea what was going on.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, why does Kyoryuger have pretty much the same plot as Zyuranger?

How much of it is a clever plot to secure success in the US? I'd say The Zyuranger-based Power Ranger series is the one that had the most success internationally...

Also, there's no reason for this Samba themed thing. This is so weird.

Man, really need to catch up on Gobusters and Wizard (and hell, Fourze for that matter). Don't think I even got to the introduction of the other two Rangers in Gobusters.

So, why does Kyoryuger have pretty much the same plot as Zyuranger?

I guess the villains are a bit similar, but the set up for the heroes is different.

Man, really need to catch up on Gobusters and Wizard (and hell, Fourze for that matter). Don't think I even got to the introduction of the other two Rangers in Gobusters.

I guess the villains are a bit similar, but the set up for the heroes is different.

And those are the 2 best characters!

I'm pretty damn sure they will use gokaiger suits for something, or are they gonna do the sloppy perspective cuts for the ground battles like in mmpr2?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Well, sure, it's different. But in 30 and something years, I don't remember two Sentai series having anything similar.

This time around, all the heroes are based on Dinosaurs again, there's something about shit happening in the past and the enemies are coming back (Didn't Zyuranger have something along these line,s with the enemies being held prisoners on the moon until they came back?).

I don't know, jut sounds out of the ordinary. Whatever, it has samba in it, of fucking course I'll check it out.

Top Bottom