• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

Not going to blame the swerving car. My thought process is dude hears a loud ass thudd sound to his car, freaks out, maybe he thinks he's been shot at, and car goes out of control. Gonna give benefit of doubt to the person.

The sedan driver lost control of their car, the crash into the center divider and subsequently into the otherwise uninvolved truck that flips is 100% on the sedan driver. Benefit of the doubt for what, and why?

Nameless

to what extent though? the biker did precious little compared to what the car did.

Yeah unless you think trying to ram someone into a concrete barrier is an appropriate or rational response to having your car kicked, 99℅ of the fault is on the car driver here. They escalated the situation in a way that was both extreme and excessive and lacked the ability to control their vehicle to boot.

Not to say the Biker doesn't have any shit on his hands, but come on.

Tom Nook

to what extent though? the biker did precious little compared to what the car did.

Little or not, the biker is part of the crash - the Biker should've known that. Maybe as a good citizen, the biker should've at least checked on the SUV driver. Based on the video, the Biker did not give a fuck.

A hit and run has nothing to do with who's at fault for the accident...it's simply the act of leaving the scene of the accident that you were involved in.

Yeah unless you think trying to ram someone into a concrete barrier is an appropriate or rational response to having your car kicked, 99℅ of the fault is on the car driver here. They escalated the situation in a way that was both extreme and excessive and lacked the ability to control their vehicle to boot.

Not to say the Biker doesn't have any shit on his hands, but come on.

Guess what? That 1% means he should have stopped.

black_13

Banned
Wow that's crazy! I'd put more blame on the car driver but moto rider isn't innocent either.

As a rider myself I never understood why anyone on a bike would try to piss a driver off when the car can easy fuck you up with a swerve like that. He's lucky it didn't hit him especially wearing a short sleeve shirt.

Nameless

little or not, the biker is part of the crash, the Biker should've known that. Maybe as a good citizen, the biker should've at least checked on the SUV driver. Based on the video, the Biker did not give a fuck.

Someone strikes your vehicle you jot down whatever info you can and report them or you let it go. You don't turn said vehicle into a weapon[you're unable to wield] and attack the person.

Maximus P

Without speaking to the motorists involved it's hard to determine what happened here. Theres a small chance that the car driver panicked when the biker hit his car which resulted in the swerve rather than malice, maybe he thought he'd hit the biker? I don't know. What I do know is that the biker is a piece a shit for not stopping, if only to help the passengers of the other vehicles that were involved in this accident.

Lothars

Someone strikes your vehicle you jot down whatever info you can and report them or you let it go. You don't turn said vehicle into a weapon[you're unable to wield] and attack the person.
Exactly which is what the Car driver did, I think the car Driver is the main person at fault but the Motorcyclist should have stayed after the accident.

I hope the car driver is charged.

On the plus side, when a combination of global warming and nuclear holocaust have reduced humanity to a few sparsely populated remaining clans, survivors can look back on incidents like this and laugh that we were ever so petty. "He's so upset about someone not driving the way he would prefer. Oh look, now that guy is trying to kill him over minor cosmetic damage to his car! How droll."

Only the driver of the car would know, it could have easily been him just freak out from the sound of the kick. Anyone ever get hit in any type of accident or collision know that often shit sounds worse inside the car than it really look, why a tiny rock hitting your car can sound like a massive ding and freak a person out while driving. Sudden boot to your car door and for all we know he could have just been jarred and at high speed lost control. But who knows, still could have been rage.

Look, fuck the biker. He's a piece of shit, but that sedan driver is worse. I don't buy for one second that he was just startled, particularly if things were escalating prior to the kick. He knew damn well what he was doing. Trying to run someone off of the road is far worse than some jackass kicking a car.

The difference here is that you have no actual evidence. If this were a court, there would absolutely be reasonable doubt to not convict the driver, but 100% the biker is guilty. Is the sedan driver guilty? Maybe, but maybe isn't proof. That video is more than enough to implicate the biker though

Judging by how they're in the same lane I'm assuming the car driver was at fault merging into the biker's lane on top of him or whatever.

And then he tried to kill someone over somewhat from experience most likely only gave the raging biker a sore foot.

Shame the poor truck guy got caught into it, but the car driver got some kind of divine karma so it's all good.

GatorBait

Motorcyclist gets:
battery;
reckless driving;
hit-and-run/leaving the scene of an accident.

Car driver gets (assuming intentionality of the swerving can be proven) :
attempted vehicular homicide;
battery;
reckless driving;
a number of civil claims from the SUV he/she hit;
and some fat insurance bills.

Both are at fault for different things and can be punished for those things. It's not an either/or or a chain-of-consequences scenario in this instance.

Nafai1123

Banned
The difference here is that you have no actual evidence. If this were a court, there would absolutely be reasonable doubt to not convict the driver, but 100% the biker is guilty. Is the sedan driver guilty? Maybe, but maybe isn't proof. That video is more than enough to implicate the biker though

No actual evidence? We have witness statements and video evidence.

After watching a couple of times it seems the driver of the car might have not been aiming to harm the cyclist, but over compensated thinking something happened that really didn't? His first swerved seems to be the start of his second and third rather than intentional with them losing control on the second and third.

Ethier way people are fucking idiots. Why would you try and kick a car on a motorcycle on a fucking highway? And who the fuck keeps on driving off on a wreck like that? I feel sorry for the people in the truck that got the brunt of all the damage.

Maximus P

Witnesses statements and videos of what? That the driver swerved? All he has to do is say that he panicked at a loud bang from the side of his car and he no idea that the biker was there. It's his word against nobody as the biker is gone

If the biker had stuck around he could have explained why they were arguing, why he kicked the car and could have told the police that the car driver looked directly at him if the driver did indeed try to kill him.

Nafai1123

Banned
Witnesses statements and videos of what? That the driver swerved? All he has to do is say that he panicked at a loud bang from the side of his car and he no idea that the biker was there. It's his word against nobody as the biker is gone

If the biker had stuck around he could have explained why they were arguing, why he kicked the car and could have told the police that the car driver looked directly at him if the driver did indeed try to kill him.

http://ktla.com/2017/06/21/apparent-road-rage-crash-in-santa-clarita-captured-on-cell-phone-video/

LMAO, yeah I'm sure that will fly when the guys recording the entire time said the situation escalated over time. Why would a situation "escalate" if the driver had no idea he was there? Why would the driver "panic" if he was in the middle of a road rage showdown with the biker?

Like, I'm not sure if ya'll just hate motorcyclists or what, but this shit trying to exonerate the driver claiming he "panicked" is straight up bullshit. Biker kicks his car, and in return he tries to commit vehicular manslaughter. I wish the biker had stayed around, and I hope they do catch him, as he is responsible as well, but let's cut the shit with the driver being the victim. The victim is the innocent dude that got hit and flipped, and that happened because the driver tried to kill a motorcyclist.

Grassy

I've seen some crazy shit on the roads in my time and had some super-close misses, but if you're a motorbike rider and you go around kicking two-ton steel death-machines every time the driver does something stupid...you don't have long for this world.

mas8705

That's the biggest issue we have here too. Had the Motorcyclist stopped, there could have have been a case where he could have stated his side of the story right as it happened. With how this looks right now, he technically fled the scene after contributing to the crash. He probably would have had some flag against him for doing something as stupid as kicking a car while driving, but this is only going to make the case harder against him.

http://ktla.com/2017/06/21/apparent-road-rage-crash-in-santa-clarita-captured-on-cell-phone-video/

LMAO, yeah I'm sure that will fly when the guys recording the entire time said the situation escalated over time. Why would a situation "escalate" if the driver had no idea he was there? Why would the driver "panic" if he was in the middle of a road rage showdown with the biker?

Like, I'm not sure if ya'll just hate motorcyclists or what, but this shit trying to exonerate the driver claiming he "panicked" is straight up bullshit. Biker kicks his car, and in return he tries to commit vehicular manslaughter. I wish the biker had stayed around, and I hope they do catch him, as he is responsible as well, but let's cut the shit with the driver being the victim. The victim is the innocent dude that got hit and flipped, and that happened because the driver tried to kill a motorcyclist.

Agreed. No matter what is discussed, we do agree that we have two guilty parties here and an innocent bystander that got hurt in the process due to their road rage.

MIMIC

Banned
Not going to blame the swerving car. My thought process is dude hears a loud ass thudd sound to his car, freaks out, maybe he thinks he's been shot at, and car goes out of control. Gonna give benefit of doubt to the person.

This was my immediate thought. I had to watch the video way too many times to be sure....and I'm still uncertain. So he gets the benefit of the doubt from my perspective.

WoolyNinja

As others have said the motorcyclist was dumb, but the car driver is the one that should be charged with a lot. Totally tried to kill the guy on the bike then lost control of his car and almost killed everybody else.

Terrible all around

The video only shows a car swerving as the result of being kicked. There is no evidence pertaining to what caused the swerve.

Where are the witness statements? Because the article in the OP doesn't say anything about it.

Edit: I see you linked it later, perhaps the OP should be updated.

EBreda

Good luck proving the car driver had the intent to kill you, since he could easily say he was surprised by a loud incomprehensible noise and lost control of the car and the biker wasn't even there to discredit him. Video does not prove his wrongdoing.

There's concrete proof, though, that the biker intentionally kicked that dude's car and initiated a series of events that culminated in physical damage to a third party.

Nafai1123

Banned
The video only shows a car swerving as the result of being kicked. There is no evidence pertaining to what caused the swerve.

Where are the witness statements? Because the article in the OP doesn't say anything about it.

From the other link in OP. It's also quoted on this page.

Tim Morrison and Chris Traber, who shot the video, were on their way to work when they say the driver of the silver sedan cut in front of the motorcyclist.

The incident continued to escalate between the two motorists so Traber decided to start recording on his cellphone.

I'm sure the police got a much more detailed statement from these witnesses as to how exactly the situation escalated.

There's that too, but that still doesn't justify being FUCKING SWERVED INTO BY A CAR.

You talking about the car he kicked? That kicked probably scared the fuck out of the driver which led that person to lose control. I've seen people lose control on a highway before. Hell on my drive back from Florida a couple weeks ago I witness a female driver putting on make up cut off a Mustang which led the Mustang flying off the road. He lost control when he got cut off.

WoolyNinja

You talking about the car he kicked? That kicked probably scared the fuck out of the driver which led that person to lose control. I've seen people lose control on a highway before. Hell on my drive back from Florida a couple weeks ago I witness a female driver putting on make up cut off a Mustang which led the Mustang flying off the road. He lost control when he got cut off.

I'm sorry but if a loud noise/kick to your car makes you lose control that badly you probably shouldn't be driving. What if a tire blows next to your car? Thats a loud noise that could hit your door. I'd hope that wouldn't cause most drivers to lose control like that.

Motorcyclists are insufferable jackasses 90 percent of the time. Some of them even drive around just looking for trouble just so they can get some footage to put on their youtube channels, clogging up the roads for nothing.

But still that car driver didn't have to try to run him over.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What the fuck at both parties. Especially the car. Because someone possible caused a tiny amount of cosmetic damage to your car doesn't give you the right to try to kill them.

I'm sorry but if a loud noise/kick to your car makes you lose control that badly you probably shouldn't be driving. What if a tire blows next to your car? Thats a loud noise that could hit your door. I'd hope that wouldn't cause most drivers to lose control like that.

Can't predict how people will react. Personally I try to avoid aggressive motorcyclists. They drive like douchenozzles with napoleon syndrome.

Just veer away and let em dart around you.

Dude, there's a difference between your tire going out and knowing there's a dude on a motorcycle riding next to you. Fuck! My tired went out. VS motorcycle dude is next to me, *kick* shit! *Panics* . I've had a tire go out on me and I doubt it sounds and feels the same as a loud hit on the side of my car. It's easy to lose control of a vehicle.

It's easy to say what you're saying if you've never been in a situation like that. Until you're in the heat of it you don't know how you will react.

dc3k

I dunno about you guys but I definitely freak out and steer sharply into the direction of loud sounds I hear next to me. Especially if there's a motorcycle right beside me.

Clearly it was an accident and the driver is not at fault!

Ashhong

Just the other day a car was coming into my lane and I honked. The car swerved back and was fish tailing for a good 5 seconds. It looked almost exactly like this car, and this one looks considerably older. I wouldn't be surprised if the sedan just lost control. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to hit the motorcycle either.

Did they catch the motorcyclist?

:lol so everyone's take away is it's all the motorcyclists kick because the driver of the car swerved to TRY AND KILL/MAIM HIM and 99% of motorcyclists are scumbags, they're the only people on the road.

Holy fucking hell, no wonder morons have almost killed me by going into my Lane because of texting or just having the mouth foaming hate towards bikers like this thread has. Scary

Speevy

Banned
:lol so everyone's take away is it's all the motorcyclists kick because the driver of the car swerved to TRY AND KILL/MAIM HIM and 99% of motorcyclists are scumbags, they're the only people on the road.

Holy fucking hell, no wonder morons have almost killed me by going into my Lane because of texting or just having the mouth foaming hate towards Booker's like this thread has. Scary

I am an overly cautious driver who always gets tense when I see people riding motorcycles.

If one of them got near me and kicked my car, I'd probably get so scared of hitting him that I'd drive into oncoming traffic.

akira28

What the fuck at both parties. Especially the car. Because someone possible caused a tiny amount of cosmetic damage to your car doesn't give you the right to try to kill them.

Hey bud, I'm just trying to protect the next guy from having his dog, and best friend football punted off of a bridge.

Top Bottom