• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

I am an overly cautious driver who always gets tense when I see people riding motorcycles.

If one of them got near me and kicked my car, I'd probably get so scared of hitting him that I'd drive into oncoming traffic.
And that's literally the exact opposite of what happened so...?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Without speaking to the motorists involved it's hard to determine what happened here. Theres a small chance that the car driver panicked when the biker hit his car which resulted in the swerve rather than malice, maybe he thought he'd hit the biker? I don't know. What I do know is that the biker is a piece a shit for not stopping, if only to help the passengers of the other vehicles that were involved in this accident.
Why wouldn't he swerve the opposite direction though?

Xelios092

:lol so everyone's take away is it's all the motorcyclists kick because the driver of the car swerved to TRY AND KILL/MAIM HIM and 99% of motorcyclists are scumbags, they're the only people on the road.

Holy fucking hell, no wonder morons have almost killed me by going into my Lane because of texting or just having the mouth foaming hate towards bikers like this thread has. Scary

For real. If you hear a loud bang on the left side of your car, you don't swerve to the fucking left. Towards a barrier as well. A bang could be a tire blowout or anything, why the hell would you swerve into a wall after your tire blew out? You risk totaling your car. That's like the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And it even says this escalated over time. This was 100% intentional.

People in this thread, jesus. Anything to hate motorcycles. Not saying he's innocent, but holy crap. Trying to kill the guy for kicking your car is ridiculous. Get his plates and report a hit and run. Fuck. You don't kill the guy because he kicked your car.

HoodWinked

that was actually a pretty bad hit, its the kinda what happened to dale earnhardt went straight into the wall and basically went from 60 to 0 instantly.

Tigress

To be fair the motorcyclist did something that probably would just be annoyinto the car driver and at worst be dangerous to the motorcyclist, the car driver tried to kill the motorcyclist and it blew up in his face. Neither are innocent but I think here the car driver is far more at fault and did a much more egregious thing.

Wolfe

The jerk was way too sudden to be intentional.

What? You have no idea lol, could also be that the guy noticed the biker getting up next to him and decided to swerve into him before even getting kicked, then the biker kicks right before the guy swerves and it ends up looking like he swerved because of the kick.

It's all speculation at this point, I'm with stinkles, let's see what led up to this kick.

Anion

Honestly, I hate to make conclusions based on nothing but I've seen this happen way too many times before my eyes. Maybe not to this degree of some random car getting flipped, but accidents between a motorcycle and car.
Typically the car driver swerves or switches multiple lanes without or with blinkers and almost or sometimes taps the motorcycle. Motorcycle drivers are used to it, so typically they just honk or give the finger or something out of rage.
I've seen some destroy the Driver mirror though, which isn't an issue considering the car driver doesn't even use it...

What? You have no idea lol, could also be that the guy noticed the biker getting up next to him and decided to swerve into him before even getting kicked, then the biker kicks right before the guy swerves and it ends up looking like he swerved because of the kick.

It's all speculation at this point, I'm with stinkles, let's see what led up to this kick.
Why do you need that? Have you ever kicked/pushed a car? Unless the dude is hulk, the biker didn't make him lose control. Every if the biker started it because of whatever, the car still tried to murder him.

For real. If you hear a loud bang on the left side of your car, you don't swerve to the fucking left. Towards a barrier as well. A bang could be a tire blowout or anything, why the hell would you swerve into a wall after your tire blew out? You risk totaling your car. That's like the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And it even says this escalated over time. This was 100% intentional.

People in this thread, jesus. Anything to hate motorcycles. Not saying he's innocent, but holy crap. Trying to kill the guy for kicking your car is ridiculous. Get his plates and report a hit and run. Fuck. You don't kill the guy because he kicked your car.

Yeah, I kind of feel like they're joke posts? Like if a deer blindsides your car in the woods you turn even harder into the deer because you were scared? Surprised or not, who's gut reaction is to serve as hard as possible into the thing hitting them?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
http://ktla.com/2017/06/21/apparent-road-rage-crash-in-santa-clarita-captured-on-cell-phone-video/

LMAO, yeah I'm sure that will fly when the guys recording the entire time said the situation escalated over time. Why would a situation "escalate" if the driver had no idea he was there? Why would the driver "panic" if he was in the middle of a road rage showdown with the biker?

Like, I'm not sure if ya'll just hate motorcyclists or what, but this shit trying to exonerate the driver claiming he "panicked" is straight up bullshit. Biker kicks his car, and in return he tries to commit vehicular manslaughter. I wish the biker had stayed around, and I hope they do catch him, as he is responsible as well, but let's cut the shit with the driver being the victim. The victim is the innocent dude that got hit and flipped, and that happened because the driver tried to kill a motorcyclist.
Nah, the motorcyclist is 100% at fault here.

Now, maybe I don't have enough experience in the matter. But if I was ever involved in a road rage incident, I would never have expected the other party to actually hit my car while it was moving. That's just not a thing that you do and would catch anyone by surprise. If the driver wanted to kill the motorcyclist, he wouldn't have suicided into the left guard rail. His swerve was too sharp and too sudden to be anything other than an instinctual or reflex response.

Tom Nook

Honestly, I hate to make conclusions based on nothing but I've seen this happen way too many times before my eyes. Maybe not to this degree of some random car getting flipped, but accidents between a motorcycle and car.
Typically the car driver swerves or switches multiple lanes without or with blinkers and almost or sometimes taps the motorcycle. Motorcycle drivers are used to it, so typically they just honk or give the finger or something out of rage.
I've seen some destroy the Driver mirror though, which isn't an issue considering the car driver doesn't even use it...

That's what I think what happened. The car was changing lanes not paying attention at the blind spot. The biker got really upset at the car for cutting him off. So out of anger, he kicked the car - which it was stupid AF.

The White car in front of the cameraperson had a good view of the accident. Hopefully they provide the LP of the biker to the police.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

What led up to the kick isn't going to help. To take myself as an example: Not once in a million years would I expect someone to actually kick my moving car on the highway. It really doesn't matter what happens immediately prior - its going to catch me by surprise.

Wolfe

Why do you need that? Have you ever kicked/pushed a car? Unless the dude is hulk, the biker didn't make him lose control. Every if the biker started it because of whatever, the car still tried to murder him.

No shit, the driver is at fault for attempting to harm another person on the road. My point was more on my personal judgement reservations about overall fault. As in if the biker just rode up out of nowhere and kicked the car for no apparent reason, then he's a dick that deserves some kind of punishment whether a simple fine or what. The drivers actions then crank right up to 11 and he puts others in harm for no reason so clearly he should be at least charged with something.

But without seeing the lead up I won't speculate on how much of the fault the biker shares, something that I keep seeing people bring up (which as you said doesn't matter!)

And here's a tip for ya, I am a biker :O

What led up to the kick isn't going to help. To take myself as an example: Not once in a million years would I expect someone to actually kick my moving car on the highway. It really doesn't matter what happens immediately prior - its going to catch me by surprise.

My point was your speculation doesn't help either.

Seeing the lead up would give a clearly picture of why that happened. No I'm not saying it's important given the outcome, just that it might stop people from throwing out all these theories.

Xelios092

Yeah, I kind of feel like they're joke posts? Like if a deer blindsides your car in the woods you turn even harder into the deer because you were scared? Surprised or not, who's gut reaction is to serve as hard as possible into the thing hitting them?

I feel like somebody just read one of the posts on the front page and immediately agreed with it, which started a chain reaction? I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 3 years now, but this thread makes me glad I haven't because this is disgusting disregard for human life. I don't miss all the close calls I've had with moronic drivers I've had, and this thread is definite proof of it. Half of the people in this thread seem like they would kill me regardless of what the reason is. Door kicked in or not.

No it totally matters what happens before the video because he would have been already engaged in conflict with the motorcyclist. He knows where he is and what he is doing. This is not a surprise attack. If you saw a truck tailgating you, you would immediately keep an eye on him. Let's say you hit the brakes because of traffic, he would swerve to the left (logical conclusion because traffic would be on the right) and you would know exactly what he did right? You'd know where he is. Of course this is a sudden braking incident, so it doesn't apply to why the driver of this car swerved to the left. The driver of this car is keeping an eye on what this motorcyclist is doing, because this is an escalation of conflict.

Nafai1123

Banned
Nah, the motorcyclist is 100% at fault here.

Now, maybe I don't have enough experience in the matter. But if I was ever involved in a road rage incident, I would never have expected the other party to actually hit my car while it was moving. That's just not a thing that you do and would catch anyone by surprise. If the driver wanted to kill the motorcyclist, he wouldn't have suicided into the left guard rail. His swerve was too sharp and too sudden to be anything other than an instinctual or reflex response.

Clearly you don't. You don't know wtf you're talking about.

Swerved too sharp? Looked like just the right amount of swerve when trying to kill a motorcyclist. Who swerves INTO another vehicle? Who swerves INTO where they were struck? He tried to strike the rider, over corrected the other way too fast, lost traction and over corrected straight into the guard rail. He didn't "suicide" into anything.

Seriously, have some of you NEVER met an aggressive driver on the road? Even if you aren't engaging with them, you know where the hell they are. And these two were apparently engaging with each other for awhile. Just stop with this "didn't seem him" or "was surprised" nonsense.

Vyer

Going from only what we have here, it looks like the meeting of two morons on the road. Sadly, as is often the case when it comes to morons on the road, someone innocent had to suffer the consequences

Wolfe

I do like how he follows a declarative statement like that up with basically "maybe I actually don't know what I'm talking about".

Going from only what we have here, it looks like the meeting of two morons on the road. Sadly, as is often the case when it comes to morons on the road, someone innocent had to suffer the consequences

Yes that's true, but there are varying degrees to everything and the driver of the car is clearly the one actually putting others lives in danger with his awful choices while the biker is mostly endangering himself in this instance.

Some of you are insane - nothing, NOTHING justifies kicking another vehicle.

You never, ever, escalate on the road.

Why are you focusing on the kick when the response to said kick is basically attempted vehicular manslaughter? Watching the video and then having that as your takeaway seems more insane to me even if I would agree with your basic premise of "don't kick cars while on motorcycle".

maks

If a driver tries to kill me but crashes I'm not pulling over to see if he's ok. I definitely would have reported it when I feel I'm safe. Seems like the motorcyclist didn't do that. Big mistake.

Ursn

This was my guess. I avoid aggressive or ignorant drivers when I ride but I know people who get mad and do those kinds of things in retaliation.

highrider

Banned
This is why I keep my driving to the barest minimum possible. As an American, I'm able to discern we are generally shitty drivers. Germany really spoiled me. People can operate a motor vehicle properly there.

Wolfe

Even in the US it can be a stark contrast. I moved up to WA and lived there for 7 years or so, becoming acclimated to the drivers up there. I then moved back to CA 3-4 years ago and am still shellshocked by how awful people are here when it comes to driving and road etiquette. Every day, I see at least a handful of people do dumb shit on the road here, drives me nuts.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

The kick is stupid but the fact remains that the car tries to ram the motorcyclist. That is a tremendous escalation of events on an order of magnitude beyond what the rider did. I am no fan of the motorcyclists in the LA area most of the time, but that car tried to kill that guy, no question.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Swerved too sharp? Looked like just the right amount of swerve when trying to kill a motorcyclist. Who swerves INTO another vehicle? Who swerves INTO where they were struck? He tried to strike the rider, over corrected the other way too fast, lost traction and over corrected straight into the guard rail. He didn't "suicide" into anything.

Seriously, have some of you NEVER met an aggressive driver on the road? Even if you aren't engaging with them, you know where the hell they are. And these two were apparently engaging with each other for awhile. Just stop with this "didn't seem him" or "was surprised" nonsense.
So uh, you've had your moving car kicked on the highway by a motorcyclist before? I mean, unless you've actually been in that situation I don't think you're in any position to claim you know "WTF you're talking about".

The situation the driver was put in was beyond the pale. There's no way for anyone here to predict how they would react to this situation. To me, it clearly looks like he panicked once he heard/saw the kick and lost control.

Vyer

Yes that's true, but there are varying degrees to everything and the driver of the car is clearly the one actually putting others lives in danger with his awful choices while the biker is mostly endangering himself in this instance.

".

I can see that, but Unless you're the only one on it, everything you do on the road can have the potential to impact others. You can't predict how others will react to your mistakes or foolishness. (Apparently that includes running into someone even more road rage inclined than yourself!)

akira28

So uh, you've had your moving car kicked on the highway by a motorcyclist before? I mean, unless you've actually been in that situation I don't think you're in any position to claim you know "WTF you're talking about".

The situation the driver was put in was beyond the pale. There's no way for anyone here to predict how they would react to this situation. To me, it clearly looks like he panicked once he heard/saw the kick and lost control.

physics my guy. that kick barely registered. but as soon as the thump is made, the car swerves into the direction of the kick, not the opposite direction. That's not a car affected by a kick, and saying the driver freaked out and was actually trying to avoid an accident is being really generous.

Nafai1123

Banned

Yes, I'm sure the first thing a furious road rager would feel is panic when his car is lightly struck by the person he is furious with, and who poses no danger to him, given the fact his foe is on a vehicle a fraction of the size and completely unprotected.....and not with another response....like...maybe rage.

Beyond the pale? He put himself IN that situation. This was a road rage incident that escalated. It's called fight OR flight for a reason, not fight AND flight.

The real question is, why do you feel the need to try to exonerate a complete asshole who tried to murder another asshole with a bullshit excuse like "panic?"

Xelios092

Really? Does swerving towards a barrier come naturally to you when you feel/hear something unusual? You don't need to be in that position to know what you're talking about. A wall is something any driver will do their best to avoid. I mean if the left side of my car hit something or ran over something dangerous, clearly the left side is bad news. Move to the right and maybe avoid whatever is ahead. Common sense. Not to mention he swerved left enough to hit the bike and the immediately back to the right. We've all played enough grand theft auto I think to realize smashing them into the barrier was the point.

Naudi

Banned
This must have been going on for a while. The car was definately swerving at the biker retaliating for the kick but like most drivers has no idea what jerking the wheel could do at high speeds and lost control. Both are idiots lol but the car over reacted assuming a gun or something wasn't flashed by the biker. I watched all the seasons of Sons of Anarchy so I know bikers pretty well, he probably had atleast 1 gun.

As a SoCal resident, motorcyclist are common on the freeway. When you see them coming, you give them space. Alrough the motorcyclist is a dick for kicking the car, driver of the car is an asshole. He could have killed the guy like wtf.

Tecnniqe

Banned
With the YouTube footage I find it hard to pin the fault entirely on the driver due to the factors at play.

He may not see the bikes go up on his side for any reason

He may be caught off guard by the kick making a loud sound having him panic or react causing the crash

He may even think the biker fired a shot at him

It's not going to be easy to convict the driver of attempted manslaughter of the biker but what you can prove from the video is how the biker kicks a moving car on the freeway which leads to it crashing and eventually causing a pretty bad multiple car accident with one flipping the fuck over at high speeds.

The biker then just drives the fuck off like fucking nothing without helping, that alone should be a fucking crime.

Both may be assholes but the biker is the biggest for not stopping when the accident happened.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If you hear a sudden loud noise like that you'd jump pretty hard. An then you may instinctively look towards the sound to see what it was. That can lead you to unconsciously steer in that direction which may have explained the initial swerve. Then they notice and overreact in correcting it

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, the mentality in this thread toward motorcyclists is really rotten. It's very easy to tell who rides a bike, or knows someone who rides a bike, from those who don't.

The driver of the car literally tried to KILL SOMEONE. As someone who has been the target of road rage while riding a motorcycle (and almost being killed because of it), this situation hits really close to home. (I had passed someone, legally, mind you, and apparently he didn't like that much and started to chase me down.)

The motorcyclist is at fault for needlessly escalating the situation, but it's likely that the car nearly killed him before the tape started rolling (and that's what it sounds like from the followup testimony). However much he is at fault, he DID NOT ATTEMPT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE.

You people need to get a fucking grip. Seriously.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Wow, the mentality in this thread toward motorcyclists is really rotten. It's very easy to tell who rides a bike, or knows someone who rides a bike, from those who don't.

The driver of the car literally tried to KILL SOMEONE. As someone who has been the target of road rage while riding a motorcycle (and almost being killed because of it), this situation hits really close to home. (I had passed someone, legally, mind you, and apparently he didn't like that much and started to chase me down.)

The motorcyclist is at fault for needlessly escalating the situation, but it's likely that the car nearly killed him before the tape started rolling (and that's what it sounds like from the followup testimony). However much he is at fault, he DID NOT ATTEMPT TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE.

The biker kicking the car can be seen as attempted murder as it started the chain reaction that lead to the SUV flip.

The biker driving the fuck away as fast as he can after causing this shit is infuriating.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

we don't see what happened earlier just that the car driver cut the bike up. Not excusable but I assume the bike driver is driving defensively and allows for morons

You go straight for the car driver trying to kill someone, but the bike rider just escalating things. Very different tone of voice for the two sides. We see the bike rider kick the car. We don't know whether the car manoeuvre was malicious or accidental. Objectively we do t know all the facts to be able to label the car driver as some kind of homicidal maniac and the bike rider as just a hit of an idiot. It may be that the actions of the bike rider caused the car to swerve and lose control

I don't actually see a lot of blame being given in this thread, there is actually som uncertainty and questions being asked. I don't see any particular level of persecution being aimed at the bike rider

Daedardus

Yeah, they're both at fault but the car was even more crazy in the video. We don't know what happened before though. But the motorcyclist basically commited a hit and run while contributing to an accident with injuries. Here in Belgium you're basically going to jail for that while having to pay fine well above 3000 euro. Just stop and check that everyone is OK, but don't run away, please.

EVERYTIME I see one of these video, a suv flip and rolls over on the first impact.

Why do people buy suv to ride freeway again in the US ? They look like death cans

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yeah, they're both at fault but the car was even more crazy in the video. We don't know what happened before though. But the motorcyclist basically commited a hit and run while contributing to an accident with injuries. Here in Belgium you're basically going to jail for that while having to pay fine well above 3000 euro. Just stop and check that everyone is OK, but don't run away, please.
Yeah.
EVERYTIME I see one of these video, a suv flip and rolls over on the first impact.

Why do people buy suv to ride freeway again in the US ? They look like death cans
Because the way you are seated and the overview it gives and feels amazing to drive?

I don't buy a vehicle expecting someone to ram me from the side on the freeway.

Not condoning the actions of the Biker, but car driver is far more in the wrong.

Also shame on OP for not looking into it and making a thread title that directly blames the Biker for all of this.

The car cut the Biker up, Biker took his anger our on car, by kicking it, car then tries to swerve into biker to knock him off bike, car loses control and ends up crashing into multiple cars.

Look, fuck the biker. He's a piece of shit, but that sedan driver is worse. I don't buy for one second that he was just startled, particularly if things were escalating prior to the kick. He knew damn well what he was doing. Trying to run someone off of the road is far worse than some jackass kicking a car.

You're basically forming your argument backwards. You think people who try to run someone off the road is bad, and you've decided to attach that to the driver. I guess I would ask you, if you were prosecuting the driver of the Sedan, what argument would you present? What evidence exists that says that the driver is guilty of a crime beyond reasonable doubt? I understand that people don't have to think like juries in real life, but at the same time, establishing that you think that the driver did something wrong and looking for justifications to back up your mindset is not good either.

Not condoning the actions of the Biker, but car driver is far more in the wrong.

Also shame on OP for not looking into it and making a thread title that directly blames the Biker for all of this.

The car cut the Biker up, Biker took his anger our on car, by kicking it, car then tries to swerve into biker to knock him off bike, car loses control and ends up crashing into multiple cars.

The biker is being blamed for being the person who we know, for a fact, did something stupid, dangerous, and irresponsible.

It's reasonably likely that the driver may have tried to hit the biker, but we have no way of knowing that. There is significant plausible deniability by the driver, because yes, being kicked COULD have caused the driver to react in a panic.

Seriously, defending road ragers is shocking. Not the worst thing I've seen on NeoGAF I admit, but it's just weird.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Even if the one dude did intentionally try to hit him, I'd still charge the cyclist for intentionally causing an accident, followed by leaving the scene. Intentionally hitting another car is no less than that. Doesn't matter the damage or what you did it with. Shit like that can easily spook a driver and cause an accident.

With the video show, the only one who did something undeniable wrong was the biker. The car reacted pretty quick where the sound where it could have been intentional or him reacting to the sound.

Top Bottom