• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

Saro

Welcome to NeoGAF. A place where we can look at video of a car intentionally swerving into a motorcyclist and believe "the driver just panicked, no biggie, not his fault, I'd probably have done the same TBH."

But video of a cop unloading on a driver during a traffic stop because he believed he was reaching for a gun IS CAPITAL MURDER!! He should have known! Cops aren't supposed to panic, haven't you seen Robocop!!?!? He pulled over the driver so he can murder him!! He should be hanged by noon.

What the hell dude.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The biker could face a felony for a hit and run. It isn't "peacing out" when your involvement caused a wreck, especially a flipped 3rd party truck.

Nafai1123

Banned
The biker could face a felony for a hit and run. It isn't "peacing out" when your involvement caused a wreck, especially a flipped 3rd party truck.

And the driver could be facing attempted vehicular manslaughter. Both of them should be arrested.

Again, without about 30 seconds of footage prior to the kick, there is no way to judge intent of the driver. If the driver was aggressive beforehand, a case can be made. Feel free to insult me and call me a danger to all those around me, but I have unintentionally made a motion like that when I ran over an unexpected obstacle which shook my car and made a huge noise.

JoeBoy101

But video of a cop unloading on a driver during a traffic stop because he believed he was reaching for a gun IS CAPITAL MURDER!! He should have known! Cops aren't supposed to panic, haven't you seen Robocop!!?!? He pulled over the driver so he can murder him!! He should be hanged by noon.

Don't do this. Not the least of which because the opinion is cosmically stupid, but also a rather blatant derail attempt.

Nafai1123 said:
And the driver could be facing attempted vehicular manslaughter. Both of them should be arrested.

Wholeheartedly agree. If the driver should answer to the swerving. If its an overcorrection, so be it, but he should have to make that case.

But given the video on hand, the motorcycle is at fault here because he hit the vehicle. Kick or not, hulk or not, he escalated. And his leaving the scene is presumptive of guilt as well.

Lothars

You're synthesizing an argument. That it was an ongoing thing is not sufficient an argument to say that the driver was even aware of the biker until the kick, and possibly not even then.

Well, here's my question: what makes it look intentional? If you were in a court of law, how would you prove intent from just the video?
Easy, It looks like he swerved to hit the motorcycler plus now we have seen video of everything leading up to the accident.

The person driving the car shows how he was at fault.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Do you have a duty to wait around and see if everyone is ok after someone tries to kill you?
I don't care what lead up to the kick, he didn't leave it the fuck alone and helped cause a crash involving a third party which he clearly saw and gave no fuck about.

They both should be stripped of the license and thrown in jail and fine fuck up their ears.

Dishwalla

Banned
Amazing how that little car was able to flip that Chery Avalanche like nothing.

It was a combination of the truck being turned sideways suddenly and it being on it's brakes at the time of being turned sideways. You can see the brake lights of the truck flash as the car hits it, which means the truck's wheels aren't moving, or at the very least not moving at the momentum they were, which results in the tires catching on the roadway. A body in motion stays in motion.

Granted it's likely had the truck not been on it's brakes at the time it still would have turned over, since a truck like that is so top heavy. It's not a typical pick up truck, it's a Cadillac Escalade, it's a SUV made to look like a pick up truck. Doesn't have the same weight distribution as something like a Chevy Silverado would have.

What amazing upon rewatching is the brake lights aren't even on for the car, he hits the wall and then the truck without his brake lights even coming on.

Ric Flair

Banned
What amazing upon reaching is the brake lights aren't even on for the car, he hits the wall and then the truck without his brake lights even coming on.
He was probably trying to avoid flipping his car, the amount of momentum his car had would have flipped it he tried braking while turning sideways. Funny he flipped someone else though

It's easier said than done, sticking around is the right thing to do but it's also likely going to end in either jail time or severe debt.

lmao, what? "I'll just risk a hit and run then I guess, hope nobody's taking video, because if they catch me that would suck!"

Ric Flair

Banned
lmao, what? "I'll just risk a hit and run then I guess, hope nobody's taking video, because if they catch me that would suck!"
It happens all the time, park your car in a city for a year and watch as phantom scratches and dents appear out of thin air. People suck. All I'm saying is it's much easier to flee than to stay when you could end up in jail or with heavy debt if you do the right thing. I would never flee, I'm not saying I would either. Jesus Christ

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's easier said than done, sticking around is the right thing to do but it's also likely going to end in either jail time or severe debt.
ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

It happens all the time, park your car in a city for a year and watch as phantom scratches and dents appear out of thin air. People suck. All I'm saying is it's much easier to flee than to stay when you could end up in jail or with heavy debt if you do the right thing. I would never flee, I'm not saying I would either. Jesus Christ

He didn't scratch a car, he caused a rollover

bender

What time is it?
Yea being a responsible adult is hard.

Heh, responsible adult went out the window when he kicked car on a highway.

The youtube comments mention a longer version of the video with the preceding events. It sounds like the Sedan driver illegally crossed into the HOV lane and almost hit the cyclist. Best case scenario is that they are a bad drive and were woefully unaware of their surroundings. It's hard to judge if they were trying to run the Motorcycle driver over or just swerved when they heard the thud of their door being kicked. It sure doesn't look good but I guess if your going to swerve after being startled, you'd want to do it away from lanes of traffic. More video sure would help determine that though. Feel bad for the older gentlemen in the white truck but it sounds like he is okay.

Ric Flair

Banned
He didn't scratch a car, he caused a rollover
YES, if you caused a fucking rollover and could go to jail, you're telling me you wouldn't even sniff the idea of fleeing the scene? Might lose your job, might owe a ton of money to somebody in court fees too. It'll be on your record too. I'm not god damn agreeing with the guy for fleeing, but I'm not going to act like im shocked by it either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
YES, if you caused a fucking rollover and could go to jail, you're telling me you wouldn't even sniff the idea of fleeing the scene? Might lose your job, might owe a ton of money to somebody in court fees too. It'll be on your record too. I'm not god damn agreeing with the guy for fleeing, but I'm not going to act like im shocked by it either.

I'm just going to ignore the notion of entertaining the idea.

Hit & Run charges are very heavy in their sentencing to stop people from doing it. A lot of people get more fucked for the Hit & Run than what happened.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Actually causing an accident and fleeing is more severe than stopping and taking responsibility. Fuck advocation for reasons why you should flee.

You should turn yourself in for the kick GAFer

Tonedeff

I don't know why people are acting like fucking dumbasses with you, but I understand what you're getting at.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure where the "6 times safer"
not even sure how you would quantify this....like per mile?
argument came from but its definitely safer.
If done safely. A significant portion of people passing stopped traffic were going 40 mph. That isn't safe at all. One bike splitting 60-69 mph traffic was going a minimum of 130mph. At all speeds it looks like a significant portion were going at least 10 mph faster.
Plus this data only looks at accident data, it doesn't say anything about how likely an accident is to occur if lane splitting or not.

Kinyou

I imagine it will be much worse for him now. There are plenty of cameras on highway overpasses and truckstops. You only have to match that with the person in the video and they have him, and no matter who'll carry the blame for the accident, he's now guilty of hit & run

LMAO, leaving the scene of a door ding is not the same thing as a felony hit and run.

Maximus P

I'm going to look past the law and say the biker is a piece of shit purely for leaving the scene of an accident that he knew full well resulted in people that could have been injured or in critical condition just to save his own ass.

I once witnessed a serious accident on my walk home during heavy traffic and every fucker that witnessed it got out of their car and ran towards the accident to help those involved, even the passengers of a bus got out to help.

This asshole just rides off. I wonder if he sleeps sound at night knowing that someone could have died and he just rode off into the sunset.

It's extremely obvious the dumbass car driver merged right into that biker illegally crossing lane to do it.

The biker was not the smartest cookie kicking the car, all he did was probably hurt his foot at best. Pretty fucking stupid on his part.

But comparing him to the car that accidentally almost killed him and and then purposefully tried to kill him?

Fuck all y'all.

While he does deserve some punishment don't blame him for peacing out at all. Jury fuckwits would probably be as dumb as the people in this thread.

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's extremely obvious the dumbass car driver merged right into that biker illegally crossing lane to do it.

The biker was not the smartest cookie kicking the car, all he did was probably hurt his foot at best. Pretty fucking stupid on his part.

But comparing him to the car that accidentally almost killed him and and then purposefully tried to kill him?

Fuck all y'all.

While he does deserve some punishment don't blame him for peacing out at all. Jury fuckwits would probably be as dumb as the people in this thread.
Oh man this idiot tried to kill me, let's kick him and see what ha- ooh shit ooooh damn be hit a ca- OH IT FLIPPED better GTFO

Yeah, lets defend fleeing the scene of a crash he was involved with. That'll make it better.

As stated previously, lane splitting is legal in Australia.

Traffic filtering and lane splitting in actually safer than the alternative, because it allows bikes to get to the front of the pack, away from cars that will kill it.

In addition, the bus and carpool lanes in many country allow motorcycles to ride in them.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Legal or not bikes will do it. Just stay out their way, check your blind and merge slowly.

I'd rather them split and get away from me. I don't want to hit a bike. That's a bad day for everyone involved.

Nafai1123

Banned
That so many people can see things one way and not waver from that viewpoint. Excusing the motorcyclist for kicking and fleeing the scene. "Well, he had a lot on his mind."

Or, excusing the driver from attempted vehicular manslaughter under the guise of "panic" or whatever bullshit excuse they're trying to come up with. Both are road raging assholes, and both deserve to be arrested.

Or, excusing the driver from attempted vehicular manslaughter under the guise of "panic" or whatever bullshit excuse they're trying to come up with. Both are road raging assholes, and both deserve to be arrested.

Both deserve a trial. But the motorcyclist is already guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

Oh man this idiot tried to kill me, let's kick him and see what ha- ooh shit ooooh damn be hit a ca- OH IT FLIPPED better GTFO

Yeah, lets defend fleeing the scene of a crash he was involved with. That'll make it better.

When did I defend it? I said I don't blame him, and I don't. That doesn't make it less of a shitty thing to do though.

Dalek

That does seem to be the case with the car-however I'm not sure how a court would see it (not speculating, I'm just not sure or familar). The intent of the car driver isn't on tape-only the swerve. However the motorcylcists kick and intent are clearly on tape.

I hope both of them lose their licenses for as long as possible and have to help cover medical and car repair/replacement for the dude they fucked over. Too many idiots want to try to get in fights and teach people lessons with their 80 mph metal cages of death. Have they found the motorcycle rider yet?

Top Bottom