• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is it weird that a part of me thinks the end result of all of this is that we go to war with Russia?
Yes. Do you really want to take up the neoconservative mantle?

In all honesty, I think we have to.

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Seriously. And this is why the Russia hype is so dangerous. It makes people think that Trump is a thin skinned warmonger while at the same time goading him into warring with Russia. That's a stupid plan.

Sephzilla

Yes. Do you really want to take up the neoconservative mantle?

Seriously. And this is why the Russia hype is so dangerous. It makes people think that Trump is a thin skinned warmonger while at the same time goading him into warring with Russia. That's a stupid plan.

Not necessarily what I meant. I meant more in the sense that if we find out that Russia and Trump colluded together to influence the election, then we kick Trump and his group out of power, the end result is that the next leadership might want to go after Russia in response for them trying to severely fuck up our democracy. Not necessarily that Trump himself would go to war with Russia. If our worst fears are actually confirmed the long-term concern is that war with Russia might happen once we clean up our own mess.

Fair, but this is still less than the American people deserve.

We deserve an open, independent commission with the ability to prosecute if need be.

The Senate can't prosecute.

It's a multifaceted process. The Senate can't prosecute, but the FBI can't effectively communicate with the public. An independent commission would take time to create. I think that the House should go ahead and make one because anything would be better than the tire fire that Nunes has cooking over there, but the Senate needs to move forward because they are our last chance to do something very important.

One of the reasons that big political stories take time is because it takes time for information to sink in to the public. This needs to be a measured and bipartisan process that slowly builds a fact based case to the public. Without the Senate approaching this soberly and professionally, people aren't going to accept any outcome from the FBI investigation.

Our democratic process was severely damaged here and the only way to stop that damage is for elected officials from both parties to take the lead hand in hand. That's something that an independent commission or a special prosecutor can't do.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Warner re Russia probe: "This is the most important think I've ever taken on in my public life....We're going to get it right."

The reality is that he can forever be remembered as being on the right side of history if it's on the scale of Watergate. And confer trust in the Republican party and future elections at the same time.

Man... they really did jump on the cyber warfare train in Russia but not in the way people anticipated

Its kind of brilliant

Instead of identity theft, hacking electrical grips etc... They sow propaganda and misinformation on social media

Along with all the other mafia shit on our soil of course

I think China is in on the industrial espionage, because they have the infrastructure to take advantage of the knowledge, whereas Russia does not, so for them it's more about the old school oil money and geopolitical interests.

Not necessarily what I meant. I meant more in the sense that if we find out that Russia and Trump colluded together to influence the election, then we kick Trump and his group out of power, the end result is that the next leadership might want to go after Russia in response for them trying to severely fuck up our democracy. Not necessarily that Trump himself would go to war with Russia.

The response will be severe sanctions and they would be sweeping and all of Europe would be on board. The US will not declare war on Russia unless Russia invades a NATO ally or attacks the US directly militarily.

The reality is that he can forever be remembered as being on the right side of history if it's on the scale of Watergate. And confer trust in the Republican party and future elections at the same time.

post you quoted says that came from Warner, who i think is the ranking dem on the committee

Chumley

Banned
Reading between the lines, that press conference said kind of a lot. Namedropping Watergate, dunking hard on Nunes, Burr specifically saying he voted for Trump, Warner reiterating it's the most important thing in his public career, etc.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not necessarily what I meant. I meant more in the sense that if we find out that Russia and Trump colluded together to influence the election, then we kick Trump and his group out of power, the end result is that the next leadership might want to go after Russia in response for them trying to severely fuck up our democracy. Not necessarily that Trump himself would go to war with Russia. If our worst fears are actually confirmed the long-term concern is that war with Russia might happen once we clean up our own mess.

If that happened, I do not think it constitutes an act of war that requires a warlike response. There are other avenues of dealing with it that don't require military action. There's already enough conflict in the world as it is.

When does it all come tumbling down for the trump administration? I can't take it any longer.

22820160158189.jpg

I've been waiting a while.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Reading between the lines, that press conference said kind of a lot. Namedropping Watergate, dunking hard on Nunes, Burr specifically saying he voted for Trump, Warner reiterating it's the most important thing in his public career, etc.

This says a lot since he came in 95, Think about how many things happened since then.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When does it all come tumbling down for the trump administration? I can't take it any longer.

If the administration makes it a full year I'll be surprised. I think the IC, FBI and patriots in the senate are going to go for blood now they see how bad it is

Sephzilla

If the administration makes it a full year I'll be surprised. I think the IC, FBI and patriots in the senate are going to go for blood now they see how bad it is

Nixon wasnt impeached until 2 years after the initial burgulary.

Considering the rate at which the current Trump/Russia investigation(s) are going I'm thinking it might not be a 2 year wait like it was for Nixon. I'm in the camp that will be a little surprised if Trump's administration makes it a year.

There's also a lot of self-serving in Republicans eventually going after Trump once we hit the tipping point (we aren't there yet). They don't want to see the Democrats take the majority of seats in the next few years.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
There's also a lot of self-serving in Republicans eventually going after Trump once we hit the tipping point (we aren't there yet). They don't want to see the Democrats take the majority of seats in the next few years.

In all likelihood Democrats will take back at least the House in 2018.

An argument could be made that getting rid of trump now is like pulling the bandage off quickly rather than slowly and painfully.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

There's that too, his approval rating is getting into the 20s would really shift a lot of Rs, but I bet he resigns before he's impeached

Sephzilla

There's that too, his approval rating is getting into the 20s would really shift a lot of Rs, but I bet he resigns before he's impeached
That's a fool's bet.

Hell will freeze over twice before Trump willingly resigns.

On the one hand I don't see Trump resigning because that would be like quitting or admitting defeat in his eyes.

On the other hand I could see him resigning just so he says he was never kicked out of office

jstripes

Banned
Considering the rate at which the current Trump/Russia investigation(s) are going I'm thinking it might not be a 2 year wait like it was for Nixon. I'm in the camp that will be a little surprised if Trump's administration makes it a year.

Information can be gathered and processed faster, but information can also be obscured and destroyed faster. So yes, the pace of this investigation is going to be quicker than Watergate. But there's still a human factor, so it's not going to be overnight.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
On the one hand I don't see Trump resigning because that would be like quitting or admitting defeat in his eyes.

On the other hand I could see him resigning just so he says he was never kicked out of office

He will need to be dragged out with the people around him. Would be interesting to see the what if chance of Pence being part of it. Ryan being President and him losing his seat.

That's a fool's bet.

Hell will freeze over twice before Trump willingly resigns.

i feel like there are plenty of narcissistic trains of thought that end in taking one's ball and going home.

"you don't deserve me"
"i didn't want this job anyway, i just wanted to make you all look dumb, and you're dumb, so there"
"there's nothing left of obama's to target, mission accomplished."
blaming the republican establishment for any evidence of collusion that's produced but claiming he's clean himself and that he wants nothing to do with them.

so many ways to make yourself the center of the universe while storming out.

Sephzilla

Information can be gathered and processed faster, but information can also be obscured and destroyed faster. So yes, the pace of this investigation is going to be quicker than Watergate. But there's still a human factor, so it's not going to be overnight.

Another factor to weigh in is how much evidence there is against Trump and his team. If there's a shitload of evidence against him compared to what was against Nixon, that would influence the speed of things too.

He will need to be dragged out with the people around him. Would be interesting to see the what if chance of Pence being part of it. Ryan being President and him losing his seat.

I'll be shocked if Pence is clean

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So senate hearing tomorrow...

Can we expect anything of worth!

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov...ssian-active-measures-and-influence-campaigns

Eugene Rumer
Director of Russia and Eurasia Program
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
Roy Godson
Professor of Government Emeritus
Georgetown University
Clint Watts
Senior Fellow
Foreign Policy Research Institute Program on National Security

Kevin Mandia
Chief Executive Officer
FireEye
General (Ret.)
Keith Alexander
Chief Executive Officer and President
IronNet Cybersecurity

Another factor to weigh in is how much evidence there is against Trump and his team. If there's a shitload of evidence against him compared to what was against Nixon, that would influence the speed of things too.

I'll be shocked if Pence is clean

I would be too but still a what if chance of it.

"We invented you in Siberia, Case."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"Screaming Fist, Case. You've heard the name."
"Some kind of run, wasn't it? Tried to burn this Russian
nexus with virus programs. Yeah, I heard about it. And nobody
got out."
He sensed abrupt tension. Armitage walked to the window
and looked out over Tokyo Bay. "That isn't true. One unit
made it back to Helsinki, Case."
Case shrugged, sipped coffee.
"You're a console cowboy. The prototypes of the programs
you use to crack industrial banks were developed for Screaming
Fist. For the assault on the Kirensk computer nexus. Basic
module was a Nightwing micro light, a pilot, a matrix deck, a
jockey. We were running a virus called Mole. The Mole series
was the first generation of real intrusion programs."
"Icebreakers," Case said, over the rim of the red mug.
"Ice from ICE, intrusion countermeasures electronics."
"Problem is, mister, I'm no jockey now, so I think I'll just
be going...."
"I was there, Case; I was there when they invented your
kind."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I won't. Hoping Trump ends his term early is wishful thinking, and it takes away too much energy for actual thinking about how to deal with him.

In all likelihood Democrats will take back at least the House in 2018.

All likelihood? Eh, it looks more like 50/50 at this point.

Moofers

Warner: reports of 1000 paid trolls working out of Russia to influence US election in swing states w/ fake news. The comm. will investigate.

Anyone here watching the current season of Homeland? This is literally an arc in there. Apparently art is now imitating life at the speed of light.

Surfinn

CNN is saying Manafort is one of those being interviewed as well as Flynn. Dunno if they they'll appear publicly though

So senate hearing tomorrow...

Can we expect anything of worth!

Looking at the people who are testifying, I think we will see some ground work laid on what Russia's techniques and goals have been in regards to election meddling. We will also hear a bit about their hacking abilities and what happened with the DNC.

Remember, their goal here is to build a story plank by plank from the very beginning. This first hearing will provide framing for future information.

Zolo

The biggest problem with going after the Trump administration with this is public perception of Trump's still going to have a lot to do with how well the case may go. Aside from when the investigation's finished, when do you go after it? After he's already made plenty of screw ups and more people have distanced themselves from him? Trump's clearly trying to keep his public perception as high as he can with his base holding rallies and such.

rambis

Banned
[G]http://data.iwastesomuchtime.com/22820160158189.jpg[/IMG]

I've been waiting a while.

Yeah I would take a couple chill pills and turn off the TV for a while. Otherwise there is an incredibly historic and interesting process unfolding in front of our very eyes that we can watch as we continue to live our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom