• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump admin sought to block Sally Yates from testifying to Congress on Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unison

They were very clear that the initial public hearing would be about the Russian interference in the election. Specifically the technology used, methods, etc. Not just in the US but the whole world.

The scope includes the collusion aspects but they're starting at the interference itself.

That's my prime concern here... I have no doubt that the Senate will be able to attack Russia in a bipartisan matter. I am less convinced that they would be willing to go after the WH Administration as well without extremely damning evidence.

Repubs finally realizing that the deal with the devil they made to allow Trump to take the white house wasnt worth it in the long run?

Zolo

Is it weird that a part of me thinks the end result of all of this is that we go to war with Russia?

Cold war, and with them going after the French elections as well, they'll be considered a big enemy again for all democratic countries.

Is it weird that a part of me thinks the end result of all of this is that we go to war with Russia?
I think if anything this process is going to remind us that the whole idea of "going to war" is outdated.

There are continual operations at every notch of the spectrum between peace and open war.

That's my prime concern here... I have no doubt that the Senate will be able to attack Russia in a bipartisan matter. I am less convinced that they would be willing to go after the WH Administration as well without extremely damning evidence.
You're not bringing in guys like Roger Stone, Manafort, Carter Page or even Kushner for that matter if you're not looking into possible ties between the campaign and Russia.

Baby steps.

Not under a Trump presidency. Or Pence. Or even Ryan.

Who the fuck knows what'll happen in 2020, though. I'm still leaning towards "no" though because Putin's smart enough to know that our military can evaporate most of Russia's in the time that it takes to say "pee pee tape."

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I mean they're attacking the world at this point. How long do we let it slide?

They may be conducting cyber warfare but I don't think we need to resort to physical violence as a response.

But if you're seriously advocating war, I hope your butt is front and center with a rifle.

Mark L

I mean they're attacking the world at this point. How long do we let it slide?

They are actively and persistently destabilizing countries, ours included, with no signs of stopping any time soon.

FOREVER! I let it slide forever because I don't want to be a cinder drifting on the goddamn wind.

megalowho

It's both hilarious and depressing that there's no way for the public to even get in touch with Nunes' office to voice our opinion and displeasure with his handling of the inquiry. Just tried again today and every mailbox for every available number is full. I blame cowardice over incompetence, they know what they're doing.

The Senate hearing today really shows the stark difference between what a sobering, bipartisan committee dedicated to uncovering truth looks like compared to the fuckery, partisan sniping and deflection from Republicans in the House committee under Nunes.

Unison

You're not bringing in guys like Roger Stone, Manafort, Carter Page or even Kushner for that matter if you're not looking into possible ties between the campaign and Russia.

Baby steps.

Fair, but this is still less than the American people deserve.

We deserve an open, independent commission with the ability to prosecute if need be.

The Senate can't prosecute.

They may be conducting cyber warfare but I don't think we need to resort to physical violence as a response.

But if you're seriously advocating war, I hope your butt is front and center with a rifle.

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean boots on the ground war. More war on a variety of fronts. Yes of course, more sanctions and counter measures to net interference.

FOREVER! I let it slide forever because I don't want to be a cinder drifting on the goddamn wind.

I think I'd probably prefer death over living in a 1984 authoritarian regime orchestrated by Russian interference.

KHarvey16

Establishing the effect of Russian interference and making it clear what a problem it was and is is exactly what they should do before going after these guys. Lay the foundation for why it's bad and then there are far less "so what if they talked to Russia?" reactions to any collusion investigation.

We deserve an open, independent commission with the ability to prosecute if need be.

There was a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee on CNN last night explaining why an independent investigation maybe wasn't the best idea, and it all came down to time constraints. This is an extremely pressing matter, with Russia trying to influence elections all around the world. If we start up an independent commission right now, it'll take months just to staff it and to get all of those members and staffers security clearance and to get them all caught up on what the Senate committee already knows.

Time is of the essence. We just have to trust the Senate and the FBI right now.

Ponn

Banned
Extending cautionary respect towards Burr and Senate committee into this. They are taking this much more seriously and maybe we will have some integrity here and some Republicans that have some shred ethics to recognize how wrong and fucked up all this shit is. I'm calling it now, anyone seen as obstructing this investigation or acting like a fool is part of this shit and has something to hide. I hate to invoke mccarthyism and that will be brought up as a defense to hide shenanigans but in this case its a reality.

KHarvey16

An independent commission can prosecute people? I would imagine that falls to law enforcement.

No argument.

We have to keep in mind that there is a separate FBI counterintelligence investigation which can expand to a criminal investigation as well.

Just reported on CNN: Comey never received an invite to testify(again) despite what Nunes said.

Nunes has to recuse. Period.

The House investigation has zero credibility right now. No one will take anything that comes out of that committee seriously.

Slime

Banned
He addressed that. You get the sense that Burr draws the line at foreign interference

If this whole thing hinges on Burr and Comey not being complete shills, I'm not so sure.

Burr also drew attention just before Election Day after a recording was leaked to CNN of him joking to Republican campaign volunteers about gun owners putting a "bull's-eye" on Clinton — remarks for which he apologized.

In the recording, he also discussed the investigation into Clinton’s emails — saying a letter by him and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) was what got the FBI to investigate Clinton in the first place.

“I’ll tell you a little secret,” he said. “The FBI never would have investigated the emails had it not been for a letter that Bob Corker and I sent to the inspector general of the intelligence community that kicked this all off.”

FBI Director James Comey’s decision to reopen the investigation less than two weeks before Election Day was a “gift,” Burr said, before calling former Rep. Anthony Weiner “the gift that keeps on giving.”

If this whole thing hinges on Burr and Comey not being complete shills, I'm not so sure.

Comey has a hero complex of the highest degree. His goal isn't to shill or be partisan; he just wants his place in the history books, and he doesn't want to be cast as the villain in the movies that will inevitably be made about this over time.

He's like J. Edgar Hoover reincarnated.

Surfinn

Yeah I'm gunna say this is huge deal and it has more to do with collusion than general Russian meddling. They even threw out Watergate. We've known for a while now that Russia influenced our election. But judging from what was said, it seemed to be "holy shit it's worse than you think" instead of just "we're gunna do our job right".

Burr saying he voted for Trump I thought was a pretty big giveaway too.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm gunna say this is huge deal and it has more to do with collusion than general Russian meddling. They even threw out Watergate. We've known for a while now that Russia influenced our election. But judging from what was said, it seemed to be "holy shit it's worse than you think" instead of just "we're gunna do our job right".

"I even voted for Trump... just so you know before we impeach him."

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

When he said it was one of the biggest things since he started in 95 was a throwaway for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom