• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2012)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

elkayes

Repost for new thread:

001a3654_medium.jpeg

Gripping read, started it one afternoon and finished it the next day. The methaphors are pretty clear and easy to understand, but don´t loose their punch for it. Especially liked the part of them
back on earth after their first deployment and the way they react to their "standing order" after reenlistment

Now reading:
eden8.jpg

300+ pages in. This book lives for the amazing characters Steinbeck creates. I like his way of telling the extensive backstory of every character before he lets them bump into each other. Just can´t figure out how this should work as a movie.

Happy July everyone. Summer heat reading is 2nd best reading.

rataplein

I_robot.jpg

read i, robot for the 100th time. still, i think that best ones are "reason" and "the evitable conflict" just amazing.

300+ pages in. This book lives for the amazing characters Steinbeck creates. I like his way of telling the extensive backstory of every character before he lets them bump into each other. Just can´t figure out how this should work as a movie.

Are you gonna watch the movie?
It cuts out more than half the book. It only focuses on one of the generations if I remember right.

Love the book its amazing

NekoFever

I'm still on my Lovecraft collection.

Read:

At the Mountains of Madness (Liked it.)
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (Loved it.)
The Dreams in the Witch-House (Some cool imagery but didn't do a lot for me.)
The Statement of Randolph Carter (Good and creepy, but only like ten pages.)

Reading:

The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (Enjoying it so far because it's so different to what I'd been led to expect from Lovecraft. Kind of reminds me of the Dark Tower series.)

To read:

The Silver Key
Through the Gates of the Silver Key

I'm not going to go straight to the second volume when I've finished this because I'll burn out on it, but I will read some more in a couple of books' time.

elkayes

Are you gonna watch the movie?
It cuts out more than half the book. It only focuses on one of the generations if I remember right.

Love the book its amazing

I plan to do so, although the slow pacing of 50´s and 60´s movies makes it hard for me to enjoy so called "classics". Still I think I should watch at least one James Dean movie in my life, so why not this one.

Just finished reading "The Ugly American". I was blown away by this book.

It's a critique of US Foreign Policy in the 50's/60's in a fictional setting. Many of the lessons are still relevant to the US policies in Afghanistan and Iraq. Do yourself a favor and read it. It's masterful..

28fd793509a07ccfbc6a5110.L.jpg

I plan to do so, although the slow pacing of 50´s and 60´s movies makes it hard for me to enjoy so called "classics". Still I think I should watch at least one James Dean movie in my life, so why not this one.

My love for the book, Its probably in my top 3 of all time, I love "epic" historical novels especially when tinged with religious overtones (despite not being religious) made the movie probably better than it is. But I remember James Dean being pretty darn good. He also only has what 3? Not to hard to see them all.

To contribute to the topic I just read
41aOVq%2BWOUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-63,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Pretty good summary of the current state of affairs in the US I thought.

Now I'm reading the black swan
467904c0.jpg

thomaser

519DcvL9FVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Don DeLillo: "Underworld". Huge book with lots of characters, seems to span from 1950 to ca. 1990. I'm about 20% in. Some parts are stream of consciousness or very hard to follow dialogue between people who know each other so well that they don't have to converse in full sentences, so it can be a little confusing. Very impressive language, especially in the first chapter. Some people liken it to Infinite Jest, and I can see why. But I find this one much easier to read.

41dPrTGY%2BrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Richard Gross: "Psychology. The Science of Mind and Behaviour". A popular textbook used in England. Your basic introduction to psychology. Well written and engaging. It's a fascinating subject!

O.DOGG

9837808a8da073903de08110.L.jpg

After seeing it mentioned in relation to Far Cry 2 which is a favorite of mine, and Spec Ops: The Line, I decided to finally read this. Halfway through it now.

I just finished reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas minutes ago. The good thing is that I absolutely had no idea what it was about. I actually thought it was some sort of fantasy/fiction novel. I fully experienced that "main revelation" and enjoyed all the plot twists. Oh and the ending was definitely emotional but somehow I felt like it was cut short. I definitely recommend it to whoever hasn't read it yet.

Fintan

On the recommendation of Clegg, I've been reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami. I'm about halfway through and I'm definitely finding it more engaging than 1Q84. Should finish it in the next day or two.

20090205230030%2521Wind-up_Bird_Chronicle.jpg

Kud Dukan

I'm about 50% of the way through Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin. So far I'm loving it, and I'm usually not the biggest fan of most vampire stories. It's an interesting take on the genre and definitely a page turner...I was up pretty late last night because I kept saying "one more chapter".

Im still reading the Blair Witch Files

66NJM.jpg

This was by far one of the better Blair Witch books. This one wasnt as predictable as the last 2 have been. When Im done reading all the Blair Witch books, i want to jump into Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Now reading:

51DeFouX61L._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've read 100 pages (25% of the book) and I'm not quite sure if I like it. The premise is gold. The book is set in 19th century Naples, in a time where music has magic powers. The hero is an atheist librettist whose latest opera was so blasphemous the opera house burned to the ground the very next day due to celestial intervention. Instead of being imprisoned by the inquisition, he gets the job of staging an equally powerful opera to counter the apocalypse.

Sounds like an enormous lot of fun, but it's not really happening in the first 25% of the book. Too many descriptions, a slow pace, not enough plot. I'm hoping the book will pick up.

I recall having a difficult time following Gibson's Neuromancer when I read it a few years back.

While I do agree... I've been finding Count Zero a little more abstract. At least in Neuromancer, the main character was the subject of forces greater than him. So not understanding what was going on made me identify with him more.

Here... I'm not sure what is motivating Turner to return to the mission and I'm not super sure what the mission is supposed to do once it is complete. And The Count's story is interesting, but again, I'm not really sure what it is doing. I'm assuming that, as I keep reading, this will all become clear but I'm also hoping that I just didn't accidentally skim over some important information that will make this all make sense.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Taking a break from Lord of Chaos by Robert Jordan to read:

the-prisoner-of-heaven-by-carlos-ruiz-zafon.jpeg

The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, sequel to GAF favourite The Shadow of the Wind. I've been hearing very, very good things.

Yousefb

200px-American_gods.jpg

Halfway through this book and I'm enjoying it immensely. It was a bit slow to start but once it picked up I can't really put it down. Love Neil Gaiman's work!

Just finished Adventures of a Young Man by John Dos Passos, now onto the second in the Districts of Columbia trilogy, Number One

Not as good as his earlier work and his politics is more overt, but i still enjoy his writing so i enjoyed it, hoping the trilogy maintains or surpasses the quality established in the first book

also on the table to be read is the dudley smith trilogy by Ellroy and The Once & Future King by T H White and maybe Platform by Michel Houellebecq

Yen

About 80 pages into Game of Thrones. Have a backlog of about 15 books that I'll dive into now it's summertime.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Vo5hE.jpg

Embassytown by China Mieville.

I've read Mieville before, but I still kind of had this reaction to the first paragraph -

W5m8M.jpg

only with less "punch him in the face" and more "do I really want to do this again?" but I powered through the first section (~40 pages) and I think it should get a bit better now that the setting has been established a bit and we can hopefully get down to story progression. Even if you like any of his writing in the first place you kind of have to be in the mood for it and I'm still only middling on him as an author at all.

Mondriaan

I'm reading Rushdie's Midnight's Children and have gotten a little bit past the usefulness of cow patties.

So far it seems like it's telling the story of a family in the years preceding India's independence as told by someone incredibly self-indulgent and prone to irritating interjection just as he starts to conjure suspension of disbelief. Of course, it is probably on purpose and I am reacting to the character because the character annoys me. The writing is good, though.

13603717.jpg

Put it down after it opened with some congressman talking about the recent CDC zombie memo thing and one of the congressmen responded with "I know, right?" in 2049. I hate that phrase anyway, but I really hate it in 2049 and the zombie memo reference is just stupid and amateurish and irrelevant.

I dunno, turned me off enough to put it down and move on to something else. I may come back to it sometime, but it really wasn't doing anything for me anyhow.

Think I'm gonna checkout Containment or The Forever War.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Still plugging away on Snow Crash. Just can't get into a groove with it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
My reading pace is atrocious, still fininshing up The Scar and Legacy of Kings (hopefully tonight). After that I'll move on to The Stars My Destination, and after that probably the Forever War. 

Hey bookGAF!

I just finished Norweigian Wood by Haruki Murakami and about to start reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I try not to read the same author two books in a row unless it's a series and I really liked Norweigian Wood. Great story about morality and leaving adolesence for adulthood. It was my first novel I've read by Murakami and I look forward to more of his work.

LProtag

I think I'm going to read the Mistborn series once I'm done with ASOIAF. I've never been so free to read fantasy before and I think I'll go on a little kick before getting back to the 'standard' canon.

Paper Fox

Sleepwalk With Me by Mike Birbiglia. Not a hefty book by any means, but the guy is charmingly funny. Heard him spruiking the book on the radio probably over a year ago now, and I finally managed to buy it online.

Arment

51LGygZ8qHL.jpg

I finished up The Stand a while ago. Incredible book on all accounts.

Which leads me to a not so incredible book, Inheritance. I'm reading it to finish off the series, which I started when I was much younger. It bugs me when I leave a series unfinished so I can't help myself. Reading it after The Stand was probably a bad idea.

After I'm done, which my Kindle says I'm 85% through, I'm going to start The Aspect Emperor trilogy by Bakker. I liked the first trilogy but I haven't seen too many people mention this one here, so I hope it's good.

Ravager61

519DcvL9FVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Don DeLillo: "Underworld". Huge book with lots of characters, seems to span from 1950 to ca. 1990. I'm about 20% in. Some parts are stream of consciousness or very hard to follow dialogue between people who know each other so well that they don't have to converse in full sentences, so it can be a little confusing. Very impressive language, especially in the first chapter. Some people liken it to Infinite Jest, and I can see why. But I find this one much easier to read.
This is next on my list of things to read after I finished the stupid fantasy stuff I'm reading. White Noise is one of the most brilliant things I have ever read in my life so I am very excited to read Underworld. I can't get over how brilliant some parts of White Noise are.

Mr. F

Banned
this-is-a-call-the-life-and-times-of-dave-grohl.jpg

about 3/4 way through, i preferred anthony Kiedis' scar tissue however

scar_tissue.jpg

I really, really enjoyed Scar Tissue. It was incredible reading how deep the rabbit hole of addiction can go, and the how easy it can be to relapse even after making progress into recovery. I was eying the Grohl book, is it underwhelming in comparison?

Also, just picked up China Miéville's The City and the City recently. Heard the Tested crew talk about in on Octobercast a while back and it sounded pretty cool. Going to start tonight.

Mieville_City_2009_UK.jpg

Quikies83

Im still reading the Blair Witch Files

This was by far one of the better Blair Witch books. This one wasnt as predictable as the last 2 have been. When Im done reading all the Blair Witch books, i want to jump into Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

Didn't even know these existed.. Color me interested, if they're creepy. Where should I start?

I finished Heart-Shaped Box over the weekend (first thing I've read by Joe Hill) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Definitely had some genuine creepy moments. I look forward to reading more by him.

Top Bottom