• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Sophia

antonz said:
Interesting. They could shrink this new system down a good deal with all the stuff they are removing.

They could. But what's the point? The system's already one of the smallest on the market

This is certainly baffling, but that's Nintendo for ya...

spons

Gold Member
Marrshu said:
You really think this is going to kill off homebrew? I mean that console's only unsecure at a fundamental level...
Sony's fixing it by putting out a new PS3 revision with the inability to downgrade to an exploitable firmware. This would be a chance to fix their Wii like the 3DS. On the other hand, I don't really see how this solves any problem so late in the console's lifetime. And I want my homebrew.

miladesn said:

HA HA! So they're actually doing it. This system is a complete waste of time and money. Still, they're in a desperate position right now and the Wii U isn't BC with GCN, so what harm could it do? (unless they decide to style the console after the Wii U!)

antonz said:
Interesting. They could shrink this new system down a good deal with all the stuff they are removing.

Not really, a couple of inches at best. The console is limited by the size of the DVD drive and is more or less as small as it could possibly get.

BocoDragon said:
Countdown until Gamecube Virtual Console...

Already announced for Wii U.

http://vc.nintendolife.com/news/2011/07/gamecube_to_see_new_downloadable_life_on_wii_u

I can see it having 1 less USB port (Wii Speak and Ethenet cable use USB ports) and they might release that rumoured USB hub (IIRC the newer IOS have support for USB hubs).

Maybe it'll be radical given it is designed to be horizontal and have USB and SD card slots on one side and power and video on another side.

But lack of Gamecube mode means its probably using a different system menu firmware (or firmware 4.4> will have some arguments added for systems lacking mIOS*)
*-mIOS sort of handles initialising Gamecube mode or something...

Still I'm never going to see Platinum or Apple Green Wii systems am I? Seriously, removing parts is the only way they can lower the cost now...but bundling it with Wii Party suggests it'll be a one step forward, one step back thing (so still $150?)

Kafel

Banned
I've heard they're going to release a new accessory soon for it too. A Balance Board that you'll use with the hands (like an iPad).

Sophia

spons said:
Sony's fixing it by putting out a new PS3 revision with the inability to downgrade to an exploitable firmware. This would be a chance to fix their Wii like the 3DS. On the other hand, I don't really see how this solves any problem so late in the console's lifetime. And I want my homebrew.

Like I said, the issue's on a fundamental level. Even if they did manage to kill off homebrew, it would be for a year tops until the WiiU comes out.

Plus, the rate at which people find exploits would suggest to me that they'd just fine a new one that would work.

spons

Gold Member
soqquatto said:
and yet somehow I think they'll fail to provide a component or hdmi cable in the box.
Lack of HDMI is a killer. I use my computer monitor for the 360 and PS3 yet some genius decided to cut off 5 cents a Wii by not including an HDMI port.

Pretty surprised. This will be their first console revision since the SNES.

(Not including Panasonic Q)

Sadly, it'll be useless to me because of lack of Gamecube controllers. It's my controller of choice for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, especially since it has rumble.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
spons said:
Lack of HDMI is a killer. I use my computer monitor for the 360 and PS3 yet some genius decided to cut off 5 cents a Wii by not including an HDMI port.
Few SD devices have HDMI..

soqquatto

Kulock said:
The latter would be pretty useless, unless they added an HDMI out.

one can dream about adding an hdmi out AND an hdmi cable in the box. I don't have a wii and I sometimes think about getting one to play those three or four games that I'd love to.

Well I have a maybe ten times more powerful dual core machine with nvidia tegra graphic chip and a qHD display in my pocket. The wii could be like half as small as my phone, if you take the cd player out and make it external.

The hardware is ancient.

Edit: with hdmi out in my pocket :p

herod

Drop the power brick, add HDMI, and offer optional USB power for the sensor bar and I would buy. Don't really care about GCN compat.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
CoffeeJanitor said:
This is a fucking horrible idea, especially with the coming of Wii U.

Nintendo's marketing team has its hands full.

It's like something that should have come out last Christmas but they forgot about it.

And now someone's found them at the back of the warehouse.

I bet this model will only be available in white.

Just watch
CoffeeJanitor said:

It doesn't seem like a big deal. You've got a budget Wii, classic Wii and a brand new console.

If they fuck it up, it is on them.

CoffeeJanitor said:

No, not really - handled correctly, this should be the PS2 Slim to WiiU's PS3. It all rests on Nintendo's ability to differentiate their budget Wii from their next-gen WiiU, and after the errors they made with doing that for the 3DS and how they're working to correct that I expect them to be more on the ball this time.

herod

Marrshu said:
They could. But what's the point? The system's already one of the smallest on the market

This is certainly baffling, but that's Nintendo for ya...
The shipping box is still quite large. If they're making reductions like removing the bulky PSU or at least lowering the power requirements so that it can be part of the plug they could make savings on shipping costs.

CoffeeJanitor said:

I see what you're getting at, but they did it with the NES, and the SNES didn't seem to be affected, so yeah.

spons

Gold Member
soqquatto said:
one can dream about adding an hdmi out AND an hdmi cable in the box. I don't have a wii and I sometimes think about getting one to play those three or four games that I'd love to.
Too bad HDMiKey is vaporware. Hasn't had an update in months even though it's 'in production'.

Taker666

This does make sense if they are intending on keeping it going as a low budget system (this will reduce manufacture,storage and shipping costs)...

...but as others have said..Nintendo are going to have to be very,very careful with naming. Releasing a Wii Lite and then a Wii U could cause much confusion (and there's enough already).

Nintendo should really considering changing the Wii U name..or at a minimum make the base colour black at launch.

Medalion

Banned
BocoDragon said:
How did I miss that? Pretty cool.

The beauty of Gamecube is that the game discs are maximum 1.4 GB each.. very downloadable!
Sweet... if GC is coming to virtual console for Wii U then regular Wii game should too... hopefully upconverted to progressive and shit

Why would you do that? said:
Pretty surprised. This will be their first console revision since the SNES.

(Not including Panasonic Q)
The regular GameCube lost a digital output (for video I think?), and the N64, well...

PikachuN64.jpg

Although the 64DD slot on the bottom was actually removed, so it was a hardware revision.

If they've shrunken it down and cut costs enough, this could be a really cheap little thing that really pushes it on for a while even when Wii-U comes along. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics... the drive on my Wii broke recently, I play of my HDD these days, but there are some games that I didn't get to rip that I can't use anymore -- if this is cool, I'll pick one up!

Medalion

Banned
Reckoner said:
I would cry for HDMI upscalling on this, but that's obviously not gonna happen.
It would be silly if the Wii redesign has HDMI that upconverts but the Wii U has HDMI and won't do that

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Cosmonaut X said:
As soon as they emerge, I'll add them to the OP. In the meantime I thought the news was worth posting.

Oh no doubt, I just wanna see it :p

wtf.. looks the same?

Top Bottom