• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Sophia

VOOK said:
Oh no doubt, I just wanna see it :p

wtf.. looks the same?

Not quite the same. The buttons are different, and it has a horizonal layout.

I honestly don't see the point. It doesn't benefit the consumer at all, and just shaves off some of the cost for Nintendo.

Takao

Banned
Reckoner said:
Here is a pic of the console from http://www.eurogamer.net/gallery.php?game_id=&article_id=1389910#anchor

iX3Xl.jpg

ugly.

Is this a troll? It looks exactly the same except with the Wii typeface horizontally...

Medalion

Banned
It looks the exact same...

and the Wii U is not far off from that either

they could have another 3DS situation on their hand not differentiating products enough

soqquatto

NintendoGal said:
And I'm not sure why Nintendo would do this, this late in the game. A year or two ago, sure. Now with Wii U on the horizon? Hmm.

it's like the PsOne, a lesser econo-machine when the new one is just around the corner

Reckoner

VOOK said:
Oh no doubt, I just wanna see it :p

wtf.. looks the same?

yup, but this time without the vertical stand. It's basically the same design made for an horizontal position. I'm starting to believe this is really and awful idea to release this so close to the Wii U. Hope they can differentiate their products correctly, this time.

Gaffers are actually trying to spin a hardware revision into the end of the world. I've seen people make mountains out of molehills, but this is ridiculous lol.
radioheadrule83 said:
If they've shrunken it down and cut costs enough, this could be a really cheap little thing that really pushes it on for a while even when Wii-U comes along. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics... the drive on my Wii broke recently, I play of my HDD these days, but there are some games that I didn't get to rip that I can't use anymore -- if this is cool, I'll pick one up!
This is probably their final push for $99.99.

Takao

Banned
Medalion said:
It looks the exact same...

and the Wii U is not far off from that either

they could have another 3DS situation on their hand not differentiating products enough

Sally Soccer Mom: "Wii U? Isn't that just the Wii with the uDraw tablet thing?"

lol

Balb

Nuclear Muffin said:
Sorry, that was a quick hack edit job.

Anyway, didn't Nintendo do the same thing with the SNES Jr? (IIRC that came out late 1995/early 1996, about 6 months or so before the N64 launch)

Not to mention the Top Loader NES and Game Boy Micro.

Ydahs

I'm guessing they're not including the stand anymore? Looks the same from that angle.

Also integrated WM+. A bit too late for that.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So they just cut out GCN BC, removed the stand and bundled Wii Party in?

Ydahs said:
Also integrated WM+. A bit too late for that.
All Wiis have been coming out with a wiimote+ in the box for a while. They stopped producing regolar wiimotes long ago.

Jocchan said:
So they just cut out GCN BC, removed the stand and bundled Wii Party in?

Possibly other internal mods to bring costs down as well, and I wouldn't be surprised by an updated (poss. more secure) firmware.

*looks at picuture*
Its like the chopped the gamecube side off...but I want to see the back now as cutting that second USB port is such an easy way to save $0.30...
which when you're making a million units really adds up

spons said:
Too bad HDMiKey is vaporware. Hasn't had an update in months even though it's 'in production'.
There are a number of these solutions on the market. I'm going to get the names wrong but VDigi Wii upscaler (this is the one I use...at 480p as 1080p is unstable for me so I figure there should only be 1 lot of upscaling; my monitors), Wii2HDMI and your typical multi-compatable upscaler box thingnys...

SolarPowered said:
This is probably their final push for $99.99.
The adding of Wii Party makes me think it won't get as low as that.

soqquatto said:
it's like the PsOne, a lesser econo-machine when the new one is just around the corner

Except Nintendo kills its consoles the minute the succesor comes out. They let the DS live for 6 months after 3DS release, for example.

Anyway, this looks the same unless I don't remember how the Wii looks. And since it's a "Family Edition" shouldn't it come with 2 controllers? Would probably be $150 then, though.

iX3Xl.jpg

Just as I thought, it's barely any smaller and looks almost the same (actually looks a bit cheap)

Complete waste of time. (Also LOL @ only 1 controller being included in this "Family Edition"!)

FatCat

I imagine they are trying to cut costs and might push for a price cut (maybe next year?).

I don't think the average person buying the "family pack" will need gamecube support, far from it.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Sorry, that was a quick hack edit job.

No problem, thanks! :)

Also, with it only coming with one controller, anyone notice that the dad in the photo of the box has a Wii Remote in hand too? Mixed messages Nintendo, you're getting wonderful at them! ;p

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Cosmonaut X said:
Possibly other internal mods to bring costs down as well, and I wouldn't be surprised by an updated (poss. more secure) firmware.
Oh yeah, this is extremely likely.

They moved the Wii name so it's horizontal. First thing I can see that's different.

Edit: Button labels too. I wonder if it still includes the vertical base?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It reminds me of my 1990's VCR, but with a CD slot instead.

The old Wii kind of looked like it too, but the verticalness made it less apparent.

Thoraxes

Chesskid1 said:
everyone is thinkin, what's the point?

maybe 99$ price point or something?
I'll guess $125-130. I don't think $99 will happen until the WiiU comes out, but hell I can be completely wrong.

Hylian7

It literally looks the same. The only differences I can see are the thinner reset button and Wii logo now being horizontal. If GCN-compatibility is truly removed, than why the hell are they doing this?!

Keasar

I like how it is called "Family" edition, because the typical family on the box would never play Gamecube games, use Wifi or anything really, just play som Wii Sports and Lets Dance. Its perfect for them.

Medalion

Banned
Somebody wondered how they would screw up the redesign... here's your answer, keep everything the same but flip the logo orientation and some buttons...everything else is the same!

Thoraxes

Hylian7 said:
It literally looks the same. The only differences I can see are the thinner reset button and Wii logo now being horizontal. If GCN-compatibility is truly removed, than why the hell are they doing this?!
Average consumers don't buy for BC, they buy it for Wii Sports and such. Cheaper to manufacture parts now, cut out the GC parts, and overall make a greater profit on the Wii, with or without a price drop.

Most of it is all probably internal and about cutting costs. Makes perfect sense to give regular people what they want. The people like us can go get ourselves the proper ones, because those will still probably be around for a while, and at an affordable price.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thoraxes said:
I'll guess $125-130. I don't think $99 will happen until the WiiU comes out, but hell I can be completely wrong.
It's a different SKU, they need to differentiate the price enough from the (now) premium one or it will be ignored. I'd say $99 is very likely, and right before the holidays it could be an extremely smart way to pump up their hardware sales and please the investors.

Hylian7 said:
The reset button is not thinner. The case does look exactly the same, except the Wii logo positioning and orientation.

Cygnus X-1

People saying it is ugly are plain stupid. It does looks exactly the same. How can be something identical be worse?? It's a family-oriented pack, what were you expecting?

No Gamecube controller and no backward compatibility with GC games only makes sense after 5 years.

This is not a pack for core gamers. Casual people don't even know what a Gamecube was.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Unless there's some other significant change that would make the "Family edition" monikor true, there's already a Family version of the console: it's the one that they've been selling since 2006. Same for the red one with NSMB Wii, and the one with Mario Kart.

Now to see if it's got HDMI (really doubt it) and an integrated power brick (big deal to me).

One controller is dumb though. It's been dumb since 2006, and it's even more dumb in 2010 with this revision.

[EDIT] I wish they would do a "Complete Edition" with 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks and 1-2 classic controller pros, possibly with a few VC games thrown in (to justify the inclusion of the CCP).

Michan

Medalion said:
Somebody wondered how they would screw up the redesign... here's your answer, keep everything the same but flip the logo orientation and some buttons...everything else is the same!
You're the kind of person who will only date a girl based on her looks, aren't you?

Mael

Kilrogg said:
Unless there's some other significant change that would make the "Family edition" monikor true, there's already a Family version of the console: it's the one that they've been selling since 2006. Same for the red one with NSMB Wii, and the one with Mario Kart.

Now to see if it's got HDMI (really doubt it) and an integrated power brick (big deal to me).

One controller is dumb though. It's been dumb since 2006, and it's even more dumb in 2010 with this revision.
I'd say we can actually blame NoA for that move, they're dumb enough to pull that shit.
And I'm not even sure they included a nunchuck with it, it wouldn't even surprise me if they didn't.

Top Bottom