• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Thoraxes

Jocchan said:
It's a different SKU, they need to differentiate the price enough from the (now) premium one or it will be ignored. I'd say $99 is very likely, and right before the holidays it could be an extremely smart way to pump up their hardware sales and please the investors.

The reset button is not thinner. The case does look exactly the same, except the Wii logo positioning and orientation.
I think it's a matter of when they begin to phase out the old units. We (or at least I don't) have no idea if this is meant to be sold alongside the current units or not, and if phasing out has already begun with retailers. So while i'm not saying I think you're wrong, it's more a matter of I think we both have valid arguments either way.

blamite

so basically this is a move to save money by chopping off Gamecube ports, and skipping the stands to place it vertically?

Meh.

Nintendo seems to be clueless with the Wii as of late. They remove Wii Sports, add Mario Kart Wii (a game which was selling well standalone, and which increases weight/size and therefore shipping costs), and now it's Wii Sports again. Nevermind the fact that it only has 1 controller so I don't understand how a family can play, but whatever.

Kilrogg said:
Unless there's some other significant change that would make the "Family edition" monikor true, there's already a Family version of the console: it's the one that they've been selling since 2006. Same for the red one with NSMB Wii, and the one with Mario Kart.

Now to see if it's got HDMI (really doubt it) and an integrated power brick (big deal to me).

One controller is dumb though. It's been dumb since 2006, and it's even more dumb in 2010 with this revision.

[EDIT] I wish they would do a "Complete Edition" with 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks and 1-2 classic controller pros, possibly with a few VC games thrown in (to justify the inclusion of the CCP).
You know, I wouldn't mind if every system came with two controllers and a pack in game. And not just any pack in game either, a game of 2D Sonic or Mario quality would be nice. I for one would party like it's 1992 all over again.

Ydahs

Hylian7 said:
It literally looks the same. The only differences I can see are the thinner reset button and Wii logo now being horizontal. If GCN-compatibility is truly removed, than why the hell are they doing this?!
It's obviously targeted towards the casual crowd and doesn't really need backwards compatibility. I guess cutting features ensures that they still get a fair amount of profit per console sold even with a price drop.

Seems like a smart move if it really does receive a price drop.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Yep just a further revision of the hardware. Probably getting bothersome to continue sourcing the old GC ports and memory card slots and this also allows them to phase out the manufacture of controllers and memory cards for GC as well. Saving money cutting out components in the system, newer processes on the chips, plastic costs on stands/stabilizers for vertical orientation too. Smart move.

spons

Gold Member
Thoraxes said:
Average consumers don't buy for BC, they buy it for Wii Sports and such. Cheaper to manufacture parts now, cut out the GC parts, and overall make a greater profit on the Wii, with or without a price drop.

Most of it is all probably internal and about cutting costs. Makes perfect sense to give regular people what they want. The people like us can go get ourselves the proper ones, because those will still probably be around for a while, and at an affordable price.
But how expensive are connectors when mass produced? The hardware is backwards compatible anyway (unlike the other consoles).

Vice

Allan Holdsworth said:
Nintendo seems to be clueless with the Wii as of late. They remove Wii Sports, add Mario Kart Wii (a game which was selling well standalone, and which increases weight/size and therefore shipping costs), and now it's Wii Sports again. Nevermind the fact that it only has 1 controller so I don't understand how a family can play, but whatever.

I believe a good chunk of the games on Wii Sprts can be played by passing the remote along.

Teknoman

Well at least Wii U has a GC virtual console. Had no idea about that until now. Would be nice if we could transfer Wiiware/VC titles to the Wii U, similar to the DSi to 3DS transfer. If that was the case, i've still got a Gamecube + Component cables, so I wouldnt need my Wii anymore.

Also could this mean...other larger consoles like Sega Saturn VC? Or would that be out of the question?

EDIT: Probably wouldnt be a point to selling the Wii after the Wii U hits either, since you'd want to hold onto all your controllers for the U.

Mael

Ydahs said:
It's obviously targeted towards the casual crowd and doesn't really need backwards compatibility. I guess cutting features ensures that they still get a fair amount of profit per console sold even with a price drop.

Seems like a smart move if it really does receive a price drop.
Unless you didn't meant the expanded audience, what the hell did you think the Wiisports original pack was for? the hardcore COD crowd?

Electivirus said:
I prefer the CC Pro. No Gamecube games I particularly want to play, anyways.

And you can't use them on former Wii? unless you really want to play Wiiparty, I don't see what's so much better...or even different.
Heck you can't even make it stand on its side anymore.

Chesskid1

Banned
newwiilf7u.jpg

iNL6L.jpg

someone could crop it better, i suck.

Mael said:
I'd say we can actually blame NoA for that move, they're dumb enough to pull that shit.
And I'm not even sure they included a nunchuck with it, it wouldn't even surprise me if they didn't.

It comes with Wii Sports. Wii Sports needs the Nunchuck for Boxing. Every Wii console has come with a Nunchuck.

And yet you think that it won't come with one...

DanteFox

The only thing that looks different is that the text on the front of the console is oriented to be read while the wii is horizontal instead of vertical.

BowieZ

Banned
Allan Holdsworth said:
Nevermind the fact that it only has 1 controller so I don't understand how a family can play, but whatever.
I think they're going to start selling the Wii Remotes separately too.

Should be added to the title. Mods?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
To Far Away Times said:
You know, I wouldn't mind if every system came with two controllers and a pack in game. And not just any pack in game either, a game of 2D Sonic or Mario quality would be nice. I for one would party like it's 1992 all over again.

The red Wii is for you. Although it still doesn't feature 2 controllers.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
It comes with Wii Sports. Wii Sports needs the Nunchuck for Boxing. Every Wii console has come with a Nunchuck.

And yet you think that it won't come with one...

Don't see it on the box unlike previous boxes....unless my memory fails me.
Feel free to shame my memory though.

Michan

This is fine with me. It's been a long-time coming, and will slightly boost interest in the Wii whilst reducing costs.

So they've cut the GameCube support. It's likely that they've also switched out some of the internal hardware for more current/cheaper alternatives. The amount of energy consumed is likely smaller, and it's possible that, since the hardware remains the same size, they've reduced the size of the power brick, moving (some of) it into the system itself.

If this saves them money, tides the Wii over, and keeps the brand strong until Wii U hits shelves, then that's great. Usually Nintendo consoles die off completely in their last year.

Thoraxes

spons said:
But how expensive are connectors when mass produced? The hardware is backwards compatible anyway (unlike the other consoles).
My conjecture: We won't know for sure until people actually crack it open, but i'm willing to bet they designed new chips + board designs that would cut off the compatibility with the GC being able to run natively on it (on purpose), and then also yes, the connectors being gone. Also there's probably improved power consumption reduction.

But still, think about it: What if this saves them $10 on every Wii produced. If they sell at least 3 Million worldwide this holiday season, that's a ton of profit.

It's really hard to tell how it's any different.

So fucking lame they took out backwards compatibility and are selling Virtual Console GC games on U. Not to make the usual "Hur hur, two GCs taped together" joke, but there's no way it cost much at all to allow backwards compatibility, right?

Diffense

So are they discountinuing PreWii?
I'd guess so.

This looks unappealing.
Even the box has "not for you" written all over it.
Wow.

Ugh, no GC controller ports or game support? Nobody who knows better should even consider getting this thing, the GC game support is great to have and GC controllers are supported by a bunch of Wii games... sure, not nearly as many as support the CC, but still, a good number support them, and there are a few that support the GC controller but not the CC, if you want a non-Wiimote option.

Maybe it's a bit shorter at the back? I always said they should make a square one.

exYle said:
Is it just me, or does it resemble a Wii-U even more now?

They must want to get people used to the idea of not standing the console on its end...

Mael

sakipon said:
So everything should be targeted at you?
the Wii was all inclusive, this goes against everything the Wii was for which was bringing new people as well as retaining the people already playing.
This is basicallt 'FU gamers'.

Medalion said:
All white boxes on their bottoms look the same
Considering that in pretty much all promo shots the Wii was put on its stand.
I'd say it looks even closer to what the Wii U looks like, it's even worse than the 3DS situation.

Michan said:
Can I do it?

[ IMG]http://punchbutton.beloblog.com/archives/images/1106/wii%20box.jpg[/IMG]
I stand corrected.

Ydahs

Mael said:
Unless you didn't meant the expanded audience, what the hell did you think the Wiisports original pack was for? the hardcore COD crowd?
Was Wii Sports originally included for the expanded audience? Or because it was a well received tech demo which showed off the system's capabilities?

It's clear that this package is being targeted more towards the casual crowd. What's there to argue?
exYle said:
Is it just me, or does it resemble a Wii-U even more now?
Even more? Not really, since its design is practically unchanged.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thoraxes said:
I think it's a matter of when they begin to phase out the old units. We (or at least I don't) have no idea if this is meant to be sold alongside the current units or not, and if phasing out has already begun with retailers. So while i'm not saying I think you're wrong, it's more a matter of I think we both have valid arguments either way.
They called it Family Edition, so tbh I really doubt they're going to phase out current Wiis and leave it as the only option.
If they leave both SKUs on the market, they'll need a certain price difference. If they don't, then it wouldn't be really necessary.

zlatko

Banned
If they can make this $120ish or less and it COMES with Skyward Sword, then I'd bite this holiday season.

Otherwise I'll just hold out until Wii U and use its backwards compat. to play Zelda.

I'm curious though will this new model make it so it's harder/impossible to play an imported game such as Xenoblade?

Cygnus X-1

Why are you people so surprised? Did you all forget when Nintendo removed entirely the digital port of the Gamecube? A move only to makes costs go down.

It is anyway clear Nintendo will have big problems in distinguish the Wii from the Wii U. And not because of the redesign. The problem existed from the very beginning. This is even not a redesign, since it looks exactly the same.

But I'm quite sure Wii U will not be the definitive name and that the design of the system will or either changed or.....not pushed at all! Probably Nintendo will mostly show the controller (also subject to changes maybe) instead of the hardware eventually.

Teknoman

Mael said:
the Wii was all inclusive, this goes against everything the Wii was for which was bringing new people as well as retaining the people already playing.
This is basicallt 'FU gamers'.

No since most gamers already either have a Wii, will just wait for Wii U, or will find a BC Wii at a cheap price.

Or maybe even just buy a Cube + component cables.

Top Bottom