• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's almost ironic that "wrestling ability doesn't matter" is king right now given that the overall roster has never been better in terms of in-ring talent. It's just that all the in-ring talent are midcarders.

Off the top of my head the only non-Cena guy in the company right now who can really pull the look, the mic skills and the wrestling ability at the same time is Seth Rollins.

Wrestling ability has never really mattered. If it did Hogan wouldn't have ruled as long as he did, and then pass the baton to Ultimate Warrior. That's kind of the way it's always been. The best wrestlers technically have usually been midcarders, probably because the good wrestlers are all smaller than Vince likes.

It's almost ironic that "wrestling ability doesn't matter" is king right now given that the overall roster has never been better in terms of in-ring talent. It's just that all the in-ring talent are midcarders.

Off the top of my head the only non-Cena guy in the company right now who can really pull the look, the mic skills and the wrestling ability at the same time is Seth Rollins.

it does matter, as long as you can work a good match, which Ambrose can. But this is ultimately entertainment

there is a reason Lance Storm didn't headline PPV's

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're probably going to find out tonight that having Reigns beat up the most popular guy to go to WrestleMania was an insanely dumb idea.

Cagey

Banned
Who cares what anyone's opinion on Ambrose is. He's the most over full time babyface they currently have despite the fact of being booked like a mid carder until recently. This isn't some "smark" opinion when it is clearly supported by the live crowds.

The mob is fickle, brother.

Kayo-kun

WWE keeps boring me. The matches seem slow after watching Lucha Underground for so many days, only enjoyed AJ Styles vs Y2J and the main event was decent. They even made Kevin Owens boring for me having him face Dolph Ziggler for the 100th time. Seeing Roman Reigns getting pushed down our throats over and over again just irritates me.

His character is boring, try to fix it, not push him to the main event. Triple H vs Roman Reigns as a WM main event is horrible imo. Not to mention that the Wyatts are the modern JOB Squad (even worse than the Social Outcasts), I can't take Bray Wyatt seriously. Maybe he will be on the kick-off show on WM.

I still don't understand why they have done 2 years in a row.

They dodged a massive bullet last year with the main event actually being really damn good and Brock being a face so it kind of made sense to see Reigns booed

but when Triple H is getting cheered like Austin it's going to be magical to see

Toki767

I half expect them to announce a MITB match at Mania this year as their get of jail free card in the event the crowd completely craps on HHH vs Reigns.

Ithil

They dodged a massive bullet last year with the main event actually being really damn good and Brock being a face so it kind of made sense to see Reigns booed

but when Triple H is getting cheered like Austin it's going to be magical to see

WM 22:

HHH main events against the top face for the WWE title, and is wildly cheered and the face booed. The face wins to a highly negative reception

WM 32:

HHH main events against the top face for the WWE title, and is wildly cheered and the face booed. The face wins to a highly negative reception

Like poetry.

Anth0ny

reddit user breaks down the last year of wwe programming:

Extreme Rules - Roman gets mixed reactions in a match vs. Big Show

Payback - Roman getting booed against Ambrose, Orton and Rollins in the 4 way Main Event

Elimination Chamber - Roman not even on the card.

Money in the Bank - Roman is booed throughout the match, crowd pops huge for Bray Wyatt interfering and costing him the match.

Battleground - Roman booed, crowd pops big for Harper interfering and Wyatt winning

Summerslam - Roman booed and mocked for selling on the outside. Gets hot tag from Ambrose and is loudly booed.

Night of Champions - Roman booed throughout the match vs more popular Ambrose and Jericho

Hell in a Cell - Mixed reaction, apathy to Roman winning.

Survivor Series - Roman loudly booed throughout the night, crowd pops huge for Sheamus cash in. Crowd boos as roman cries in the ring. Mics turned off. Music plays us out.

TLC - Match met with total apathy and CM punk/cena chants. Is booed but gets a big pop for post match beatdowns on league and HHH

Royal Rumble - Nuclear heat, crowd pops huge for him losing the title.

Fast Lane - booed loudly, booed loudly for winning, #cancel wwe network trends, crowd mics turned off with zero reaction to HHH and Roman staredown

'We listen to our fans.'

Who cares what anyone's opinion on Ambrose is. He's the most over full time babyface they currently have despite the fact of being booked like a mid carder until recently. This isn't some "smark" opinion when it is clearly supported by the live crowds.
Sure, but I think the problem is that Ambrose is that guy. That's what we're left with as hope. This goofy cornball who's too slow for his own moveset. The whole show is a mess.

ShadowOwl

What in the world was the point of The Wyatts losing to the big men? Why? WHYYYY!?

And yeah, as much as anyone else I wish Ambrose would have won, but no, let's have a Reigns boo fest at WM.

Google

I've never understood the love for Dean Ambrose.

He's a thin haired, skinny, 'crazy' dude who can only execute the same fucking rope gimmick in every single match.

His punches look bad, his move-set looks unimpressive and the best thing to be said about him is that his promos have a sense of humour to them that's been lacking since Rollins has been out.

People cheer for him over Reigns...eugh.

Anyway - I thought the match last night was great up until the final pin. I thought that was bullshit, but there were some great spots throughout and I enjoyed Brock throwing those fuckers around a great deal.

Also, someone explain to me why they think WWE isn't listening to the boos?

They're absolutely listening to the boos - they love the boos. They're getting a reaction which is the entire fucking point of wrestling. It's pantomime. They've been getting away from the straight heel/face story line for years and now we're seeing shades of grey.

Brock is the heel but everyone loves him and cheers loudly.

Ambrose is the face but everyone cheers for him for some ungodly reason.

Reigns is the face but everyone boos him because he's not as cool as they want him to be.

All get reactions and the crowd wants at least one of them to get fucked up in every match they partake in.

"listen to the fans"

When the fuck have the fans ever been correct?

Nekofrog

Banned
Can we talk about the bromo between reigns and ambrose before the match at fastlane real quick

I've watched it a couple of times and I still don't understand what kind of message Roman was trying to convey with the "you'll be able to book any travel you want" or whatever it was. Like what?

Can we talk about the bromo between reigns and ambrose before the match at fastlane real quick

I've watched it a couple of times and I still don't understand what kind of message Roman was trying to convey with the "you'll be able to book any travel you want" or whatever it was. Like what?

They fucked after the match.

BFIB

Just view Roman as the Shitty friend.

ngower

Ha, that reddit breakdown is kind of hilarious. I was at TLC and the boos were certainly edited down in the replay. Cause the hatred for Reigns was pretty bad all night. The closest thing Reigns got to a positive response was "We want Cena" followed by "No you don't."

I really don't think anyone would have an issue with Roman if he weren't just force fed to us. I mean, he was largely uncontroversial when he was with the Shield. Roman fighting for the US title would have been muuuuuuch more interesting than Roman perpetually being given title shots...I mean fighting against all odds.

Google

Daniel Bryan.

Yeah, and he's had an seven year career with WWE culminating with his in-ring retirement in Seattle (which I was at, BTW) and the entire roster applauding him.

He won multiple championships and was in some fun story-lines.

One could argue it could've come sooner but I assume these things are often a culimnation of skill, motivation, timing, health and fortitude.

I remember during his run from '14-'15 and the fans being so butt-hurt that Vince and Co. weren't listening to them. "Why wont they give Daniel a chance?"

It's fucking great booking in my opinion. The authority gets great heat and builds it up over time as the major heel. The face gets more and more support. Then it explodes at the biggest event in the calendar and the fans get the result they want in the best way possible.

What's not to like about that?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never understood the love for Dean Ambrose.

He's a thin haired, skinny, 'crazy' dude who can only execute the same fucking rope gimmick in every single match.

His punches look bad, his move-set looks unimpressive and the best thing to be said about him is that his promos have a sense of humour to them that's been lacking since Rollins has been out.

People cheer for him over Reigns...eugh.

Anyway - I thought the match last night was great up until the final pin. I thought that was bullshit, but there were some great spots throughout and I enjoyed Brock throwing those fuckers around a great deal.

Also, someone explain to me why they think WWE isn't listening to the boos?

They're absolutely listening to the boos - they love the boos. They're getting a reaction which is the entire fucking point of wrestling. It's pantomime. They've been getting away from the straight heel/face story line for years and now we're seeing shades of grey.

Brock is the heel but everyone loves him and cheers loudly.

Ambrose is the face but everyone cheers for him for some ungodly reason.

Reigns is the face but everyone boos him because he's not as cool as they want him to be.

All get reactions and the crowd wants at least one of them to get fucked up in every match they partake in.

"listen to the fans"

When the fuck have the fans ever been correct?

The very condensed answer to the underlying question you are asking is "John Cena being booked like fucking Superman for a decade"

Fastlane was the first ppv i haven't watched in years. FIRST TIME IN YEARS I read the results instead of watching.

HHH vs Reigns will be the worst mania main event since miz/cena.

Reigns is bad on the mic and his move set sucks. Dean Ambrose is bad on the mic which may be a controversial opinion but it's true. He tries to act edgy and cool but he sucks. Brock can't carry these scrubs forever.

What's the fix? How do we make wwe watchable again? THREE WORDS...

Seth Freakin Rollins

He carried entire Raws by himself with his mic work and he carries every single match he's in with his in ring work. Rollins getting injured hurt the product more than people realize. He was the whole effin show.

Google

The very condensed answer to the underlying question you are asking is "John Cena being booked like fucking Superman for a decade"

I'll be honest, I skipped almost the entirety of the 2000's. I had a brief reintroduction to Wrestling in 2005 when I moved to North America and only started getting back into it in 2014 when the WWE network launched.

So the Cena I've seen is very different to the Cena the long-haul wrestling fan has lived with since his inception.

Regardless, Cena has not been booked like your description in a good, long time...so what's the issue?

Angry Grimace

They fucked after the match.

If WWE wants a cutting edge modern storyline to show how progressive the company has become, they should just for real make this the storyline and then throw them into a program with AJ Styles.

The WWE is listening. They're listening to the fact that no matter what they do, the smarks will pay hundreds of dollars to boo somebody.

WWE probably figures there is some MST3K-esque quality to the product they are putting out now. I mean, look at that list of PPVs, outside of maybe one or two was it at all a surprise that Roman won or was pushed? It's plain as day but people keep watching. They have us right where they want us.

WWE probably figures there is some MST3K-esque quality to the product they are putting out now. I mean, look at that list of PPVs, outside of maybe one or two was it at all a surprise that Roman won or was pushed? It's plain as day but people keep watching. They have us right where they want us.

Admittedly I was entertained by how bad it was. The only thing I hated was the finish of the ME

Angry Grimace

My problem isn't really with the guy playing Roman Reigns not being a great actor, its the fact that WWE does a horrible job understanding his limitations. This is a guy who needs Paul Heyman representing him, not a guy who needs to be making dick jokes.

Like, he would be over if they understood what he could and couldn't do.

I'll be honest, I skipped almost the entirety of the 2000's. I had a brief reintroduction to Wrestling in 2005 when I moved to North America and only started getting back into it in 2014 when the WWE network launched.

So the Cena I've seen is very different to the Cena the long-haul wrestling fan has lived with since his inception.

Regardless, Cena has not been booked like your description in a good, long time...so what's the issue?

The guy who made Wrestling Isn't Wrestling actually made a video blog about "why people boo John Cena" and the answer was basically that the John Cena that you've had since late 2014 is different than what he was before that and it scarred everyone irreparably to have this guy who wins all of the time like Superman. Cena's also a far better performer in every way than Reigns is. I legit like John Cena.

Gutek

Reigns needs to retire. That would solve so many problems. Also, Barack needs the title and feud with Rusev until Cena, Cesaro and the Rock come back for good.

He derailed Rusev and Wyatt.

Cena's history is a graveyard of people who haven't been the same since Cena won their feud:

Barrett, Wyatt, Rusev

Sandow to a lesser extent.

Not to mention he derailed Zack Ryder.

I can't think of a guy he truly elevated.

My problem isn't really with the guy playing Roman Reigns not being a great actor, its the fact that WWE does a horrible job understanding his limitations. This is a guy who needs Paul Heyman representing him, not a guy who needs to be making dick jokes.

Like, he would be over if they understood what he could and couldn't do.

They should have followed the Diesel/Shawn Michaels story and made him Seth's enforcer for a year or so.

klonere

Banned

Let's recap 2015 for Cena

- Feud with Rusev; loses a match, wins at Mania and Extreme Rules. Rusev death spiral into the worst angle of 2015 and now being a mook in an awful stable.

- US Open Challenge; beats a bunch of midcarders on the roster and some NXT people in some entertaining kick out spot fests. This branches off into the Owens/Rollins feuds.

- Feud with Owens; loses a kick out spot fest that wouldn't be out of place in ROH. Wins two kick out spot fests that wouldn't be out of place in PWG.

- Feud with Rollins: Loses to Rollins thanks to a comedian. Gets his win and his title back the next PPV

- US Open Challenge redux: beats every other midcarder that's left, loses to Del Rio in an awful match with a finish that is never brought up or used ever again. Gets injured.

Summary: Wins all his feuds, nobody gets anything concrete off his "rub" in his kick out fest matches (although this is the fault of the creative rather than Cena tbf), still jokes around and says bizarre psychology smashing stuff. Seems p super to me.

BFIB

Roman is an easy book. Make him heel, crowd wants to boo him anyway. Play up the fact that everything is handed to him.

Angry Grimace

He derailed Rusev and Wyatt.

Cena's history is a graveyard of people who haven't been the same since Cena won their feud:

Barrett, Wyatt, Rusev

Sandow to a lesser extent.

Not to mention he derailed Zack Ryder.

I can't think of a guy he truly elevated.

I don't think this is necessarily Cena's fault though. The problem is throwing up-and-comers into feuds with the top guy who by default is Cena. It sort of elevates them, but then they have to be booked like midcarders and it looks like they're horrible. The problem is that so few of them go from a Cena feud (that they can't possibly win), to feuding with Rollins or Reigns or something.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think this is necessarily Cena's fault though. The problem is throwing up-and-comers into feuds with the top guy who by default is Cena. It sort of elevates them, but then they have to be booked like midcarders and it looks like they're horrible. The problem is that so few of them go from a Cena feud (that they can't possibly win), to feuding with Rollins or Reigns or something.

Cena beating the Nexus was just insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom